Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Girls & Guys
A few guidelines before making a post. (karma: 12)
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3453, member since Fri Aug 10, 2001
On Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:33 PM

So, I've seen a few things that bother me, and I am going to be myself and preach them.

#1 You do not need to put the title of your topic in all caps

I've seen this a lot lately and it actually really annoys me. Putting your topic title in all caps is...

A. Considered to be netspeak;

Which is against the rules.

B. On the internet is considered yelling;

Yelling is never nice

AND

C. REALLY annoying.

Putting your title in all caps is not going

to attract more attention, but actually

make people annoyed and not read it.

#2 This rule has been stated over and over again; NO netspeak

While the netspeak on this website has died down, it is still there and it is still hard to read. Put yourself in the position of someone from France, persay, whose 1st language isn't English. When they are having to read "how r u doin 2day i am fyne can u tell me how 2 do a arabesque" it can become very confusing. There are people on this website that aren't from the US or any other English dominate country. For one example, The_Tin_Drum's first language isn't English. I don't remember what it is...I think she is from Serbia (wow, that sounds so wrong, TTD, if I am wrong, I am sorry.), but I highly doubt it is easily for someone like her to read something like what I typed up there, as it is hard for ME to read and I've lived in USA all of my life. Here's another way to put it...think about signing on and suddenly *POOF!* everyone is speaking spanish. Are you going to know what they are saying? No. So, you learn spanish, you're pretty good at it, but you still don't know spanish slang and you can't really read something that may read "habla e-nol" (wow, it's really hard to turn spanish into netspeak...I did the best I can!) and you're like "what the heck is "e-nol? I can speak "espanol" but not that!", it's totally the same. Another point, in a lot of jobs these days, typing skills are a must. If you're having to write a letter to the CEO of the company you're working at and it's written in all netspeak, that won't cut it. If you have to take word processing in high school/college/whatever netspeak won't get you an "A", and in the county I live in, you have to take AND pass Word Processing.

#3 Not everyone is going to agree with you

This isn't really a guideline...wait...strike that, it is.

DON'T expect everyone to have the same opinion as you. There are tens of thousands of people on this website, everyone has their own opinions. Don't get angry if someone disagrees with you. It will happen. If you wish to talk to that person about how he/she feels, do it in a nice and calm way.

#4 Smilies are cute...100 of them aren't

:) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :(

Annoying? YES! We don't need rows and rows of smilies. One is cool, maybe two. I like none, but no need for twenty. I haven't really seen many people do a lot of smilies, but I am pointing it out anyways.

#5 There is NO reason to put "?!?!?!?!?!?!" "!!!!!!" "?????" in anything; title, post, etc.

What can I say? It's just really annoying. Takes up space and makes me think "oh, that is a hyperactive annoying 10 year old that can't stop hitting a button less than twenty times and one that I am not going to want to deal with" *hits the back button and doesn't bother adding her 2 cents to the post*

Period. Dot.

#6 Dictionaries are your friends...as are Grammar/English classes

Come on people! I know that most of you guys are older than 8. You ought to know the different between "their", "they're", and "there". You ought to know the difference between "your" and "you're". Learn some grammar.

If you can't spell a word, look it up! Try your best! Personally, if I can't spell a word, I try my hardest to spell it and then put (sp?) or (spelling?) or (wow, I can't spell) after the word to let people know "I am really not THAT dumb!" or "I am trying, I promise you." If not, go to m-w.com. If you can't spell "benefit", look it up!

Periods, question marks, commas, capitol letters, and the rest are your friends. Try reading this..

"how are you today i am fine thats great that youre having a great day so today i went to the doctors because of my ankle and he told me i have to be on crutches for 2 weeks it sucks i hate crutches they hurt me yeah so afterwards my mom took me to chick-fil-a and i had the best chicken sandwich from there ive ever had it was just so juicy and good i love chick-fil-a then after that i came home and watched harry potter followed by getting online to talk to my friends i then when to sleep"

You know...I had a hard time typing that, but I doubt you had an easier time reading it. USE punctuation, USE capitol letters when needed.

#7 Caps lock ISN'T your enemy...under circumstances

What circumstances am I talking about? Read my post. Do you see me using caps? Yes, you do. To make something stick out. I don't have to use all caps on my post. In reality, if you do like to put an accent on a certain word, putting it in caps is fine. Putting a whole sentence/post in caps, isn't on the other hand.

#8 Other than in my title, when is caps lock my enemy? (added thanks to tigger7)

Other than in your title, and fulfilling your whole post, caps lock is your enemy when you capitolize every word's first letter. "This Is Not As Easy To Read," "as this is." Make it easier on you and DON'T capitolize every word's first letter.

64 Replies to A few guidelines before making a post.

SHUT UP
By nanasherm Comments: 8, member since Mon Oct 27, 2003
On Sat Jul 10, 2004 07:05 PM
Removed by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-07-12 07:23:40 she doesn't own the website, but she is one of the people in charge of enforcing the rules. This was unbelieveably rude.
Do you own this website if not you need to stop trying to tell people what to do and shut up and sit down somewhere cause aint nobody trying to hear all that!!!!
re: A few guidelines before making a post. (karma: 2)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Jul 10, 2004 07:33 PM
Edited by DarkLilSunShine (36942) on 2004-07-10 19:34:32
nanasherm, chill. You're a new member, but no one needs to talk to ANYONE from this site in that level of rudeness. Firstly, I made this post, so I am taking offense to that, being that these are rules. BG did a favour to ME and reposted it under her name because people were saying crap like you just did. Get over yourself. Especially since BG is a mod here (a great one) and pretty much applies the rules. You might want to figure out how this site works before you say crap like that. You ought to shut up and sit down, hun. If you've got problems with this post, take them up with me, not BG. Or maybe you should be a bit more respectful? Yeah, I think that's teh answer.
re: A few guidelines before making a post.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sat Jul 10, 2004 07:42 PM
Yeah, you don't need to be so rude. BG is a mod, therefore putting her in a position of power. Being rude to the mods is a good way to get yourself banned.
~Tari
By Hiphop_DontStop Comments: 335, member since Thu Apr 22, 2004
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 01:59 AM
Thanks BG...or DLS...or both of you! I'll try to do this more because i see the need (unlike somebody) to follow these guidlines. Thanks again!
By dancer4life1688 Comments: 258, member since Tue Sep 23, 2003
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 08:57 AM
THanks I needed that. I think half my posts are written like that paragraph above (the one with no grammer, endmarks, etc.). Also, to a certain somebody, you need to learn some respect and manners. I agree with DLS, learn how this website works before you go saying crap like that. Don't mess with the Mods.---Holls
By babigirl14 Comments: 95, member since Wed May 05, 2004
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 07:32 PM
U don't have 2 b so rude 'bout it i mean that is hiliarious(iknow how to spell datbut i just don't FEEL LIKE LOOKING IT UP)
By want2daNce4eVa Comments: 46, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:57 PM
whoa - calm down buddy. im new on this thing and you scared me - but hey speak your mind let it out. now count with me, 10,9,8... and dont forget to breathe.....
By ballet_lover15member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1696, member since Sun Jun 13, 2004
On Mon Jul 26, 2004 05:17 AM
Edited by ballet_lover15 (96421) on 2004-07-26 05:19:05 spelling mistake :D
I agree with you, Balletgurl. But I don't feel like looking up words and studying on grammar during holiday. So I'm sorry if my grammar and spelling are wrong, I'm doing the best I can.
Don't take this the wrong way, I REALLY agree with you about the rest, it's just most important to respect each other and with this rules, you do... :)
By lilangelgurl458 Comments: 995, member since Wed Dec 03, 2003
On Thu Jul 29, 2004 06:50 PM
Bravo, BG! Awesome post, what a way to state your mind!! I'll try to be more careful with my grammar and stuff (i'm doing better already!! hehe...ok i'm done now! :)

much love
aaa
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:44 PM
Wonderful post BalletGurl! It is much appreciated.
re: A few guidelines before making a post. (karma: 1)
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9967, member since Sat Aug 03, 2002
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 06:58 AM
DLS, I was almost positive you had made this post...I got all confused for a second there.

Either way, awesome post, and I agree whole-heartedly.

Babigirl14...is your post a joke, or were you actually serious when writing that? Did you even read the post that you're replying to? It was written for a reason, and for you to so blatently ignore it in a response to it is just rude, immature, and it makes you look so ignorant.

Any by the way...it's "that". Not "dat". That. It's not any harder to type THAT than it is to type DAT, plus the fact that it probably takes more thought, because when you are learning to type, you learn to type the words that you know how to spell. I really hope your post was a joke, because otherwise...yeah. You take it from there.

peace out
sh'naynay
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4094, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 02:34 PM
i totally disagree...some people have learning disabilities or whatever, and just can't spell good...no matter what!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:34 AM
Shnaynay, I did write this post, but I was given crap for it and I requested that maybe a mod could repost it for me since a *smart* member won't give a mod crap.

ghilliegirl369, yes, some people do have learning disabilities, but I highly doubt that 1/4th-1/2 of the people on this website do.
By TwinkleToes1428 Comments: 884, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Fri Aug 20, 2004 07:26 PM
Thanks for the post DLS and BG...i'm going to try to use better grammer now, i never even thought about the fact that some people on here's first language isn't english.
By Jadi Comments: 186, member since Fri Apr 02, 2004
On Mon Aug 30, 2004 08:35 AM
Babi girl i agree with you.
I no what GB is saying but no one wants to stop what there writing just to look up 1 word in a dictionary or whatever they just give it a go and what if a writers dislexic? i had dislexia when i was young and it can be helped-yeh, but anyone that as it-it doesnt go away staight away...
i still cant spell and wright and read too well, well i can but not as well as i shold at my age.
Think about it...im not starting an argument because i seem to be getting on alot of peoples wrong sides by putting my points across and as you said everyones got diffrant opinions and this is mine.
Thanks Jadi x
By MaG_cmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 869, member since Mon Sep 06, 2004
On Sun Sep 12, 2004 02:55 PM
wow that is one long post! i did some of those things ill try not to nezt time thanx! :)
By FoxRacinGurl Comments: 20, member since Thu Aug 05, 2004
On Sun Sep 12, 2004 03:31 PM
chill girl
Hey
By newfie_love Comments: 16, member since Sat Oct 02, 2004
On Sat Oct 02, 2004 07:35 AM
Hey I think that was very rude espically number 8 not everyone is as good of speller as you but maybe they still like to chat with others ... I dont think alot of people are agreeing with your rudness..
re: A few guidelines before making a post. (karma: 2)
By dance_810 Comments: 2426, member since Sat Sep 13, 2003
On Sat Oct 02, 2004 08:46 PM
Edited by dance_810 (73753) on 2004-10-02 20:43:25
Let's add not being rude to the list. For crying out loud, people! Am I blind? What is so rude about this? Nothing. It's called being straight forward. Which, apparently, isn't working for some of you. Not to sound rude back, but come on.

It's not hard to look up a word. It takes 2 seconds. If you are not sure how to spell it, you can write [word here] (sp?) to let people know you aren't sure.

Nd tz nt hrd 2 typ n xtra ltr in 2 mk a wrd. (And it's not hard to type an extra letter in to make a word. It's a heck of a lot easier to read, too.)

I can't believe that of all people to be calling rude, it should be a moderator. And of all posts, too.

DLS, (BG, too) excellent post.
By Iridescencemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1686, member since Thu May 20, 2004
On Sat Oct 02, 2004 08:54 PM
DLS and GB, THANKYOU! Argh, I hate how people just don't understand that life is so much easier if you could understand what the hang people talk about. The Internet caters for a wide variety, a cross-section, alas, EVERYONE who has access. If someone doesn't agree with those 8 simple, understandable guidelines (guidelines, dammit, not rules) then there are plenty of other forums/chat rooms out there who don't care as much about grammar... etc. Good post :)
On Sun Oct 03, 2004 04:34 PM
It's grand being called rude for reinstating the rules. Guys, for the last time, these weren't decided off of the top of my head, these are things that are generally either against the rules here or frowned upon.
By beginner_dancer Comments: 2219, member since Mon Nov 25, 2002
On Sun Oct 03, 2004 05:58 PM
That was a great post. And I do hate it when people put a ton of ?!???????!!!! its just plain annoying.
Thank you !
By demi_and_linzi Comments: 182, member since Sun Sep 05, 2004
On Mon Oct 11, 2004 03:25 AM
Hiya!
Thank you! I never realised that this website has people from different parts of the world and didn't realise that you shouldn't use slang. I have never seen or read any rule for this web site so would you be able to send me a pm and let me know where to go to read them on the web site just so i can read them and find if i'm doing anything else i shouldn't be.
Again thank you.
Love Demi and Linzi. :)
By ShuffleStep118 Comments: 667, member since Sun Sep 19, 2004
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 04:01 PM
I agree with dance_810 I mean... what did they do wrong? They are just trying to improve the wonderful dance.net community. I mean, be considerate for other people here! I am a neat freak and occasionally I'll have some spaz attacks and write all in caps lock or something, but like, some people need to chill.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch