Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: A few guidelines before making a post.
By lets_get_dancing Comments: 303, member since Sat Jan 29, 2005
On Sat May 21, 2005 02:08 PM
That was a helpfull post, but i think
a lot of people were hurt by how you said it
but thanks, because it helped me!
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 04:58 PM
Edited by liteairyfairy (130543) on 2005-06-05 18:56:19
Why is everyone making SUCH a big deal out of this? It's required that you go to school, and therefore, with any amount of education, you SHOULD learn how to spell correctly, and use correct grammar. It makes me cringe to see someone whose first language was not English spell better than some of the English speaking members here. Would you turn in an English paper that is netspeak riddled and has aLtErNaTiNg caps?

Okay, I understand some of you have difficulties, having learning difficulties, etc. Try your best and no one will mod-report you for not spelling two words correctly. However, that attitude with netspeak is UNACCEPTABLE. Every time you make a post or reply, look two inches below the box, "Avoid using netslang or netspeak!" is HIGHLIGHTED in orange.

I'm new here, I noticed that. Why can't some of you do that too? Be a newbie, but not a n00b. Please. Who are you to call Balletgurl rude when she's simply reminding you that Dance.net has its rules?

You agreed to follow the rules. If you don't like the rules, why bother signing up in the first place? You clicked on that "I agree" button, so you ARE obligated to follow whatever rules Linh and the moderators have set down.

I salute you, Balletgurl and DarkLilSunshine.

~fairy
By xxkirstyxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1309, member since Sun Jun 15, 2003
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 07:03 PM
DLS and BG, you rock.

Seriously, I was so amused reading this post. 'You can't tell me what to do!' 'You're not the boss of me!' LOL. How immature? BG is in charge of you, because she is a moderator. So there. (that was my attempt at teenage rebellion heehee).

If you don't like the rules or you don't agree, then you shouldn't have clicked 'I Agree' when you signed up. If you don't keep the rules, then you will be thrown out. And all us grammer-using, netspeak-haters, smiley-killers will cheer. Loudly.

Kirsty x
By miss_rei_x Comments: 42, member since Mon Dec 13, 2004
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 07:52 PM
Oh whoops! I put my title in Caps! I'll be sure, not to put it in that way, the next time. I am a new member so I am trying my best to live up to the other members because dance.net is so cool!
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3271, member since Sun Jan 02, 2005
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 01:40 AM
BalletGurl and DarkLilSunshine/PieceofToast, I love you.
By toedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 476, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:54 AM
I don't think it's rude at all. I can understand from your point of view, and I feel the same way as you sometimes with all of the Caps and smilies and stuff. Anyway, awesome post!
By KittiDance Comments: 22, member since Mon Jul 04, 2005
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 09:17 PM
this is great advice for new members like me! hopefully i can use it to become a good dance.net member!
By Clst_Skydancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1144, member since Tue Feb 15, 2005
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 02:53 AM
Ok, this is a great post. I can't stand it when people netspeak and put tons of smilies in their posts. All those "!!!!!" and "?!?!?!?!" and "?????" are a waste of space and reading. I know that you're trying to make a point that you're frustrated, but one "!" and “?” are enough.

There are a lot of strong feelings in this post. Yes, everyone has an opinion, but the fact still stands. Please be considerate when you type. It makes a big difference in other peoples opinion about you and your thoughts.

~Johanna (Clst_Skydancer)
By BeckyP2 Comments: 411, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 04:37 PM
Hey Guys,

Everyone chill for a moment. Now, I've been on other boards on this site and not everyone has had perfect grammar or perfect spelling. I think what BG was trying to say was that it gets ridiculous when you never spell words like "you" out all the way or when you are constantly using slang. It's harder for the reader to understand what you are trying to get across. She wasn't trying to make it into an English lesson. She was just trying to set a couple things straight.
re: A few guidelines before making a post. (karma: 1)
By LadyX Comments: 24, member since Sun Aug 07, 2005
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 03:15 PM
Well, I'm going to start off by saying I'm new. And for once, I actually read the rules to a board. For most boards, netslang is generally banned. I also noticed that people ignored the rules.

Now I also noted the dates for this whole "controversy" and I find it absolutely absurd that its gone on this long. (Its a sticky I know, but still...)

So I've put my 99 cents in. I think BG and all the mods should get a standing-O or something because they are just trying to help you. I mean they are the people who keep this thing going, and to just dis them is basically dissing the site. And then where would you go?

Think about it.
*Tre*
By lvm_dancer Comments: 206, member since Mon Nov 12, 2007
On Mon May 19, 2008 03:47 PM
Like you said everyone has an opinion so I thought I'd share mine. I am not very good with grammar and things like that. I felt like you were making fun of people who really do have problems with grammar. Another thing is that sometimes maybe you are in a hurry and don't relize you are typing in all caps until you are done. Or maybe they are upset and purposly putting all caps or something. Just sharing. Still a really good post.
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:01 AM
Thank you so much! It annoys (sp) me so much when you can't read a post because people can't take the extra 2 minutes it takes to make it readable. Thank you to whoever wrote this (I'm a bit confused who did) this is exactly the problems we are having here on DDN. Keep up the good work.
Learn to spell!
By gummibearz911 Comments: 27, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 PM
You spelled capital incorrectly.
The word "capitol" refers to a U.S. Congress building.
The word “capital” is linguistics referring to the uppercase form of a letter.

I suggest you learn how to spell yourself before you criticize the mistakes of other people.

If you can’t spell “capital”, look it up!

P.S. – You had comma placement errors as well, but I am not going to point them out.
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 01:01 PM
calypso wrote:

...Put yourself in the position of someone from France, persay, whose 1st language isn't English. When they are having to read "how r u doin 2day i am fyne can u tell me how 2 do a arabesque" it can become very confusing. There are people on this website that aren't from the US or any other English dominate country. For one example, The_Tin_Drum's first language isn't English. I don't remember what it is...I think she is from Serbia (wow, that sounds so wrong, TTD, if I am wrong, I am sorry.), but I highly doubt it is easily for someone like her to read something like what I typed up there, as it is hard for ME to read and I've lived in USA all of my life. Here's another way to put it...think about signing on and suddenly *POOF!* everyone is speaking spanish. Are you going to know what they are saying? No. So, you learn spanish, you're pretty good at it, but you still don't know spanish slang and you can't really read something that may read "habla e-nol" (wow, it's really hard to turn spanish into netspeak...I did the best I can!) and you're like "what the heck is "e-nol? I can speak "espanol" but not that!", it's totally the same...
Also, if people don't speak English very well, I just tried something and it is really neat. Scroll down to the bottom right corner and there's a little translate button.. Then there's about fourteen ____ to ____ options. I don't think it translates netspeak but it does translate the "correct" words. Whoever came up with that idea was really smart! Also, great job again to whoever wrote this post!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:57 AM
You spelled capital incorrectly.
The word "capitol" refers to a U.S. Congress building.
The word “capital” is linguistics referring to the uppercase form of a letter.

Please, do point out my comma splices. Also, tell me where I mentioned comma splices anywhere. Even with comma splices, people get the memo of the OP. They understand. Sorry, I suck at commas. And the whole "capital" "capitol" thing...what can I say? People make mistakes. But people should know the difference between "two" "too" and "to", "where" and "wear", and "they're" "their" and "there". It's things when people are typing "i where to piece swimsuits when i go their." That was my point, not to point out every small little grammar mistake a person makes. That would be annoying. But it's the basics and typing a sentence like you would for an essay rather than a text message to your bff.
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch