Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

wing timestep?
By dancingrl247
On Fri Jul 09, 2004 09:59 AM

anyone know how to do a wing timestep that can explain it to me? its one of our required things for next year and i've never even seen it done. thanks!

15 Replies to wing timestep?

re: wing timestep?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 12, 2004 08:55 PM
Does it just need to include a wing or is it the wing that needs to be made into a double or triple?

Helen
By dancingrl247
On Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:14 AM
oz_helen-
im not sure, that's he problem. it just said wing timestep- no explination or anything!
By Jalietapzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 13, 2004 02:44 PM
i can't do it but i know what it is.

stomp R hop L shuffle R single footed wing L step R

I hope that helps!

Erica
By dnztchr
On Thu Jul 15, 2004 08:41 PM
I have never heard of a wing timestep... the only thing I can think of is a time step with a shuffle, but, I don't know! I"d be curious to find out what he means!
By KristenDancesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 16, 2004 01:38 PM
jalie's description is almost right but when you're doing the wing you have to do a tap forward with the other foot so that one foot's tapping forward and the other is going out for the one leg wing so don't have your feet to far apart

hope this helps

KRISTEN
By Goldfingers_Girl
On Sun Jul 18, 2004 05:56 PM
Edited by Goldfingers_Girl (52096) on 2004-07-18 17:59:55
Hello

First, it really depends on what syllbus you are working on. I will tell you the wing time step in which you would learn in B.A.T.D.

Single pick-up time step with wing - pick up right, hop left, spring onto right, tap spring onto left as you than pushing your right foot into three beat wing and tap step onto left.

For the second and third time steps with wing you add either a tap spring (second time step) or a shuffle (third time step) after you hop left....for example...third would be pick right, hop left, shuffle step right ect.

Good Luck with those
Golffinger's Girl
By lyricalgirl87
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 05:14 PM
i learned it a little differently:
do a normal single timestep but when you flap brush your other foot out and bring it back in with another brush then step on it and finish the timestep normally. sorry im not good at describing this stuff, hope that made sense!
RE: wing timestep?
By icurnvs2m8
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 06:37 PM
The wing timestep that I know of (which was done in 42nd Street, I think).

R pickup, L hop, R shuffle, R step, L side (outward) brush, R spring (L land), R side (inward) brush, R step, L stamp.....repeat to opposite

There are others but that is the only one that comes to my head at present.
By PushTheButtonmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 25, 2004 03:55 PM
I LOVE wingtimesteps!! so much fun!!

The way i do them is...

R pickup, L hop, R step/tap/shuffle(depends whether single,dbl or triple), then at same time L tap spring and R scuff out to side, R tap step back, L step!

If you need any more help just pm me

xx lisa xx
wing time step
By tiptaptam
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 03:08 PM
I have always done the wing time step similar to goldfinger...

Depending on the time step you are doing.... we will say it is with a stomp..... and single

8 STOMP r
1 HOP l
2 STEP r
& BRUSH l
a WING OUT r
3 STEP l
&a WING IN r

So the Wing is a triple sound that replaces the step just before starting the left side.

To make this a double or triple replace the 2 count step with a flap or shuffle step that ends on 2.
To make it a Shuffle time step or Stamp hit time step.... replace the 8 count stomp with which ever it is that you want to do.... 8&.
I hope this helps.

Tammi
Wing Time Step
By tiptaptam
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 03:16 PM
The wing time step I use is similar to goldfinger....
Can be done as a single double or triple.... can be done as a shuffle, stomp or stamp..... below is the most simple of all of them.

8 STOMP r
1 HOP l
2 STEP r
& BRUSH l
a WING OUT r
3 STEP l
& a WING IN r

The wing finishes the time step where it would normally be a step.
To make it a double or triple... replace the 2 Count step with a flap or shuffle step ending on 2.
To make it a stamp hit or shuffle time step.... replace the Count 1 STOMP with the respective tap step.... 8&
Good luck
Tammi
Sorry
By tiptaptam
On Tue Jul 27, 2004 03:18 PM
Didn't mean to submit that twice
Not so good with computers
By dancingrl247
On Thu Jul 29, 2004 01:11 PM
thanks for all the advice you guys but since im not sure which one we;re supposed to know for try-outs i think i will just check with a more advanced tapper at my studio. thanks again for all the help anyways!
time steps explained
By funkytap
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:06 AM
I think most of us dont really know what a "time step" is.

I want you to think of the "timesteps" you were all taught growing up.....most of us think that this is THE timestep.

A time step was invented in the days when all music was played live. The tapper would beat out a series of steps, with accents highlighting tempo, so that the band could understand how fast to go and where the accents were to fall for a particular dancer. In those days, dancers rarely understood music and muso's rarely understood dance. But by a dancer "tapping out" a rhythm the band then realised the tempo and so forth.

So in answer to "what is a wing timestep?" - well it can be any series of wings and other steps that you urself invent, as long as they fit a certain time signature (eg 4/4 or 3/4) - so let you imagination run wild!

I hope i have explained this clearly - any questions please let me know :)
By tiptaptam
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 07:04 AM
That is very true!
I always explain time steps to my students that way...

ReplySendWatch