Forum: Europe / Europe - General

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Do Americans really stand out that bad? (karma: 1)
By mandybananny
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:31 AM

Hey, well yes I am american(well technicly norwegan and german and lots more) and I heard that you can (people from Europe) tell if the person is american just by loking at them if they're just visiting Europe? This is odd because I don't see any difference in appearance, well maybe clothing I guess.... I just don't get it. So why do americans stand out so much? I dont see how someone can tell if I'm from America (especially me) So how can you tell? Hehe :D

25 Replies to Do Americans really stand out that bad?

re: Do Americans really stand out that bad?
By dani_girl_
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 09:00 AM
hi! i have no idea!!! i work in a bar with alot of tourists and honestly i cant tell if someone is american by looking at them! maby by their clothes but thats about it!!!
dani xxx
By Noreenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 09:06 AM
Hi

I have to say that I usually can tell an american! I work in the airport in Ireland and I can tell an american when they come into the shop!LOL Well not all the time but id say 95% of the time. When Im in town i can usually spot the american tourists too as they have big high quality cameras draped around there neck and they have Aaron Jumpers on or something really bright. Also the older tourists love their make up and jewellery.
I dont mean to be stereotypical here but i just replied honestly!

love
Noreen
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 11, 2004 04:25 PM
And some have weird shapeless jeans that would be out of style here. Sometimes you know just because many appear to be louder than everyone else. Maybe because there are so many people in the states that you have to should to be heard. :D No offence, i'm a shouter myself.
Not so much as a sore thumb...
By Mahliqa
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 03:12 PM
I don't know that its necessarily true that Americans stick out over here. Most of the time its only the accent that gives it away. Snap-happy tourists and fashion victims aside, I don't think there are noticable physical characteristics setting Americans apart. Its fairly safe to say that if you aren't a "stand out of the crowd" person at home, you're probably going to blend in for the most part.
By helenamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 10, 2004 07:37 AM
I can't recognize all the americans i see, but when i think "those people are american", they usually are. I don't know, it's maybe because the way americans dress, not to talk about the accent, off course. It's the whole thing that makes me recognize some americans.
By lena_bmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 29, 2004 04:00 AM
I usually can tell if someone's american. I guess part of it is because they're usually quite loud... :) But I can easily tell if someone's brittish too... Before they even speak. It's just something special about how the brits look. I think almost every country has a special "look". When I'm abroad, I can quite easily recognize a Swede... At least I think I can... lol
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 24, 2004 02:49 PM
I can tell. When I'm on the street in Spain, sometimes I like to test myself: "Oh, he's British," "She's American" and then listen to see if I'm right. And I almost always am. I don't know what it is...but there's definitely something.
By Lousjemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 25, 2004 07:17 AM
i can usually recognise americans as well.....don't know why or how i do this, but usually i'm right.

bad thing, i also recognise dutch tourists (and sometimes not in the positive way :()....

when i was in monaco last december, there was a soccer game and i kind of felt ashamed that day that i was dutch.....(the dutch behave very badly in monaco that day)...

same as when dutch go on holidays, they take their vegetables and potatoes in the trunk of their car, so they don't have to eat foreign food....that's something typically dutch...

and like that, every country has something typical that you can recognise them from....

sorry for this rambling....i had nightshift...
By finnish_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 28, 2004 08:08 PM
Yes> I can tell Americans!

I think this is partly because I live in America a lot, so when I am living in Finland or Russia, I can automatically tell.

Something that you may find interesting is that I have an "American wardrobe" and a "Europe wardrobe." My shoes change a lot, and so do my shirts.

TO see someone with tennis shoes on automatically signals that they are Americans. Also, if they look up and point, that is a dead giveaway! And everyone else that posted was right, too> Americans are loud!

In Finland, it is a joke that if someone smiles at you on the street, they are either drunk or American!

Anyway, I don't mean to be slandering the Americans or anything, but it's just sort of funny how different cultures are noticed.

~Finnish Dancer
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Wed Oct 27, 2004 06:33 PM
Americans are easy to tell when they hang out in large groups blocking the footpath, and they are wearing light blue jeans, tennis shoes and their t shirts tucked in! Or short sweatshirts that look too small. And baseball caps or visors all the time.

Oh and they they all stop and stand in the way while they try and find where they are.

hahaha

well thats thats the only ones i notice, unless theres a loud american in a cafe.. why do they shout all the time?

;)
By Ursula_Mayor
On Sun Nov 14, 2004 08:12 PM
It's not just with Americans; I can "smell" a foreign person "miles" away. Americans do look different, not only on their appearence but mostly on their attitude and poise. I can't really explain... Oh, and they have the look of the Mormons that preach here. They all come from America! :D *j/k*
In my country I see lots of tourists and inmigrants and if they're scandinavian or from Eastern Europe, it's easy to pick them out. That's cause this is a latin country, hehe. But I can also sparate the african inmigrants in sections. I can tell if someone comes from Angola, Guinea-Bissau or Cape Verde, for instance, just by looking at their phisical appearence and clothing.
Of course, this is very GENERALY speaking. I'm talking about stereotypes and not everyone fits in stereotypes. I don't fit in country/ethnic sterotypes, for instance...

May Terpsichore guide your steps.
*SuMay*
By SelkiePrincess
On Sun Nov 14, 2004 08:58 PM
I'm wondering if there's ever a point at which an American stops being noticeable American. See, I was in Ireland for five weeks this summer, and in my last two weeks there I got stopped 5 times by people asking me for directions (which struck me because I never get asked for directions AT HOME!). Now, a couple of times the people weren't Irish, but other times they either were or had been living there for a while, so either I looked like I knew what I was doing (ha!) or for some odd reason I didn't seem like a foreigner to these people (at least not until I opened my mouth). I'm not going to go so far as to say I looked Irish, I mean really I was only there for five weeks, but the whole incident just got me wondering if that's enough time for someone to stop looking like a touristy American or if these poor lost souls (well, three out of five were lost anyway) thought another tourist would be of more help than anyone else (no offense to anyone). Sorry for the long post but I'd be really interested to hear what you all think of this!
By nanersmom
On Thu Nov 18, 2004 06:13 PM
you don'find yourself sticking out when you go to different country? Let me tell you, I work in a BIG tourist city here in the states, and I find that the europeans also talk loud, point at stuff, and block paths. Oh yeah, they also travel in large groups. There is a saying that goes like this... " people who live in class houses shouldn't throw rocks." I also realize that if it wasn't for the tourist, the economy of my home town would not exist. Stop and consider that thought, the next time you see a large group of badly dressed, loud, Americans, pointing at stuff and blocking your precious path!!! :(
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:21 PM
The question was "Do americans really stand out?" Why would we answer if we stand out, when that wasn't the question? Besides, having to ask is showing that this is something people aren't aware of, and that goes both ways wich would make it even weirder if we were to start answering if we are standing out when abroad. Offcourse there are things that are giveaways about other nations too, noone denyed that, some even gave examples. If you get so offended, why don't you make the same question only reverse it? I am sure you could dig up some dirt the other way too.

If it's any comfort to you, i can tell german tourists and japanese tourists too. And yes, these are all generalizations, and i think people are really stupid if they belive in those.
By nanersmom
On Fri Nov 19, 2004 05:28 PM
Alleycat you hit the nail on the head. Everyone stands out when they are in a new enviroment. All I was say is that it was not just Americans, so don't be baised or generalizations as you put it. Or don'y post something if you thing some from the group you are talking about, might see the post.
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 05:20 PM
I'm not sure i understood your post. But personally i have no intrest in knowing if for examplenorwegians stand out abrouad or if specific foreigners can identify us by looks or behaviour.

And if i actually did, and did want to make a post on the topic, my experience from this site tells me i'd get like 2 replies, probably from greeks or spanish people (as those are the most common places for stereotype scandinavians to go on vacation) and we don't have many members from either place.

If YOU would like to know, however, you are free to make a post asking just that.
Do Americans Really Stand Out That Bad
By collegemajor
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:38 PM
Hello Everyone

Im American and lived in Europe(Bulgaria) for 7 1/2 months
with my mother. People could pick her out as being American
but, I confused them.Americans thought I was Bulgarian and
visa versa I spoke the language dated a young man from there
and attended a University.People would walk up to my mom and
asked her if I was Bulgarian or American I thought it was
somewhat odd but,I still to this day have people asked me
the same questions here in the USA

Megan
By WAB_Lover
On Sat Dec 04, 2004 02:04 PM
Edited by WAB_Lover (115178) on 2004-12-04 14:00:04
I started thinking about it, and really, I find it easier to spot people from other countries than America normally. It's just that there are so stereo-types that you can't help but notice, we have family in America, and they dress in a typical American way, but that doesn't mean that everyone who lives in America does, it's just those who do dress that way, and act that special way, are very typical..that type of American, if that made any sense.

But yeah, generally I recognize people from other countries easier, but maybe that's because I live in Europe, and am used to seeing and recognizing people fro Denmark, Sweden, Finland etc.

Myself, I'm from Norway, well, I live in Norway. But not many would think I did, because I was adopted from Korea, so I actually have gotten.."feedback" that suggest that I am Spanish or something (when I've been there) more often than being recognized as being Norwegian, or somtimes even as a Korean... In fact, I have never been "asked" if I was from Norway when I've visited other countries, which isn't that weird when you think about my complexion etc. And I don't think I dress in a typical Norwegian way either... And my friends and family always tell me how American I am, I don't know if my behavor is typical American, but I am just very..Americanizied or whatever, and I speak American, not British English. So I think there's a bigger chance people would think I was American rather than Norwegian, but I wouldn't know that for sure. It just shows that just because people do act a certain way, or even dress a certain way, they might not be the type of person you think.

But, and this goes for all countries, I think it is always easier to spot someone of another nationality than your own, because you think how you are is very "normal" yet others might think you stand out, so.. *shrugs*
By Alessandra2
On Mon Dec 06, 2004 09:20 AM
I live in Canada and I can "sniff out" Americans. In Italy, you Americans stand out even more! No offense!
By Tangerine895
On Thu Dec 16, 2004 07:30 PM
yea i'm in canada too and when we went down to the US this summer I felt the difference...
I really don't know how or why...
And when Americans come to Canada and I see them somewhere, even in a mall or something, it seems like I can usually pick them out.
By Ursula_Mayor
On Fri Dec 17, 2004 03:15 PM
That's funny. To me, Canadians and Americans seem very alike to me (except canadians tend to be more friendly, according to what I've seen so far). But I can't even distinguish their accents very well...
Anyway, North Americans usually don't know the difference between Portugal and Spain...

May Terpsichore guide your steps.
*SuMay*
By catt143Premium member
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:42 AM
I just happen to venture out of the usual board I read and found this post. I enjoyed it very much.

I have a question. What can the American's do to blend in as far as fashion? I have a few freinds from the UK who came here and enjoyed our "labeled" clothes at our American prices. (The people you mention with tucked in shirts and baseball hats are probably not "city" folk!)

I am from New York City and found this topic interesting because when I go to Manhattan, I see all these tourists and they can be from another country or just another part of the US. YES they ALL stand out. And they are standing there pointing and blocking the busy, crowed, fast paced streets in the heart of Manhattan in Times Square. I think the tourist are just facinated with what they see and I think it may be the same when "We" are visiting your country. Life styles are obviously different and thats why we go on vacation, to experience another culture. As for the groups blocking the way, I don't think it intentional. I think the group may be deciding what to see or where to go or they are gathering around to read the Map - I always see that.

Hopefully one day I will visit abroad and I will try to be a little quieter and not block the sidewalk! ;) And one day, hopefully you will come to the USA and experience our culture!

Kat
By nanersmom
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 06:04 PM
Thank you Catt143!!!! Somebody else who lives in a high tourist destination and encounters the problem that "WE" Americans are only guilty of. I know I have been guilty of stopping to look at stuff, but only because it is something new ( and I am trying to take it all in!) and I don't know when I may ever get to the spot again.
By savgirl
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:16 PM
isn't it glass houses?
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch