Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

I need help learning pullbacks! AND FAST!!
By DancingDiva3189
On Mon Jul 12, 2004 03:45 PM

Heyy dancers! I am going to try out for the tap company at my dance school this year.... but.... I dont know how to do pullbacks *&* I need to know how to make it! Can you someone please tell me or try to teach me how?!?! Dont worry I'm a very fast learner.... I've been a tapper for 11 years! Thanks so much dancers!
Love Always,
Dancing Dive

4 Replies to I need help learning pullbacks! AND FAST!!

re: I need help learning pullbacks! AND FAST!!
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 13, 2004 05:04 PM
What is your studio's definiton of pullbacks? If you've been tapping for eleven years, you should know them as I know them by now...that was in the first couple of years. :?
By RatAtaptap
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 04:19 PM
If the pullbacks you are talking about are also known as pick ups or floor grabs it is a hard thing to teach. It is one of those things that if you get once then you got it!!! Here are a few tips though: Use deep plie, think up, jump high, heels off the floor at all times, bring feet in front and then behind you, and use a bar to help you at first just so you can get an idea of the sound and feeling of the step.

Good luck!
pullbacks (karma: 1)
By LauraLulu
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:51 PM
You are talking about double pullbacks (pickups) I assume?

First sit on a chair or bench with your feet flat on the floor.
You are going to make 6 sounds:
stomp stomp brush brush ball ball
R L R L R L
(the brushes are back brushes)
You should feel a muscle (close to your shin) working when you are brushing back, this is the muscle you need to strengthen in order to have clear and loud pullback sounds. If you can't feel it, then start with your feet closer and closer to the chair, almost underneath yourself and the chair.
Try that.

Also try progressions at the barre:
stomp pullback (same foot)
R R R
stomp pull switch, stomp pull switch (alternating)
R R L L L R
stomp pull switch, pull switch, pull switch, pull switch ....
R R L L R R L L R

Hopefully this makes some sense and helps you or at least helps someone out there! Email me with questions if you want
By twinkling_toesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:33 AM
I learned pullbacks in my second year of tap??...your studio must be very complex or you have a different definition of pullbacks...like pickups???? or something else???

ReplySendWatch