Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 1 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 17 18 19 20 21
Jazz - Competitions
Things that drive you crazy at competitions! (karma: 4)
By BurgundayBell47member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1212, member since Fri Jul 11, 2003
On Fri Jul 16, 2004 09:11 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-08-09 23:01:41

Just wondering, are then anythings you see at competition that make you want to scream?! I just came back from Nationals, and as usual, every other number I see has to break out in fouette turns for about 30 seconds of the dance. Ahhh!! No offense to fouette turns, theyre beautiful when done right, but when theyre not done right, ouch~ I think people often just forget the ballet involved in them so they're parallel and flick-ish and they never hit any real position, ya know? Just a thought~ Does anyone else have something that drives them crazy at competitions?
Lizi

510 Replies to Things that drive you crazy at competitions!

re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By dance_princess99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 449, member since Tue Mar 09, 2004
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 08:52 AM
I know what your saying about those fouette turns. Something else that gets on my nerves is when people in the audience scream
about every little thing the dancer does. I know they are trying to support there studio and stuff but, you don't have to scream all the time about every little thing!

dance_princess99
By lildancindiva23member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1620, member since Sat Jun 08, 2002
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 09:18 AM
Edited by lildancindiva23 (29740) on 2004-07-17 09:18:27
Edited by lildancindiva23 (29740) on 2004-07-17 09:18:43
Edited by lildancindiva23 (29740) on 2004-07-17 09:19:17
Edited by lildancindiva23 (29740) on 2004-07-17 09:19:39
*Little kids doing dirty things. It's not necessary.
*Rudeness. At a nationals this year one of our younger girls heard some lady from another studio talking about her and was calling her a whore. Um, she's 10. She shouldn't even know what a whore is.
*Seeing people throw tricks into dances that are way above their ability level. You see this ALOT at drill team stuff, but it drives me crazy seeing people who don't have a good double trying to pull of quads and fouettes. Stick to easier, but clean.
By DanceWithMe663member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1875, member since Wed May 26, 2004
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 09:34 AM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-04-07 22:58:26 mild profanity
things that bug me are when i see dances that have a turn section (fuettes, alesecones, etc) and not everyone in the dance can do them, and its looks HORRIBLE. I feel embaressed for them lol.
another thing that bugged me at nationals this year was that at Showbiz they have a Sportsmanship Award, and there was a studio there that OBVIOULSY was not being genuine about everything they were saying, and that they were obvioulsy just trying to win the award, which they did. It was such bull.
By dancerbaby246member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 518, member since Mon May 05, 2003
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 09:40 AM
studios that enter sooooo many dances in one category. i mean 2 or 3 i can understand, but i have seen some competitions where there would be a studio that wins like everything & they must have @ least 10 numbers in the category & so obviously they will win more, but it makes it so other studios have less of a chance. i mean it's great that they have that many dances, but do we really need to see ALL of them? cant we just see the best ones?

also, when people talk about a studio behind their back saying terrible things. hello u never know who may be listening.
By lildiva76 Comments: 31, member since Sun Jul 04, 2004
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:39 AM
bad sportsmanship, terrible choreography, dancers who cannot pull off turns, leaps and jumps, and rude people in the audience. I know it is a competition but how hard is it to just cheer for each other. I come a studio that wins quite often, no matter where we travel. we also make sure we leave with plenty of new friends from other studios. It makes the competition, nationals especiallly, more fun. If you don't do that, maybe you should try it.
By Kendroidmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2459, member since Sat Apr 13, 2002
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:44 PM
I can't stand when the dancers mouth the words to the song!! It's ok if it is a character piece, or it is obviously choreographed into the dance, but most of the time I think the dancers aren't counting the steps, but going by the words in the song and they mouth them. It's so annoying. I also can't stand the screaming and rude audiences. Cheering is fine, but some studios do so much screaming you can't even hear the song. I just got back from nationals, and one of the days the audience was so rude that I just left. They were takling during all the performances, loudly too. I was surprised the announcer didn;t ask them to quiet down.
By JazzCutie05 Comments: 621, member since Sat Jun 14, 2003
On Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:48 PM
when people make the like cheerleading faces!!!!AGGGG HHHH soooo annoying!I mean making some cute faces to go with the dance is cool but doing the stupid wink and open your mouth thing BUGS me!
By DanceDynamicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3249, member since Thu Jan 23, 2003
On Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:53 PM
*grins* But JazzCutie, most judges count off for not doing those stupid faces..Lousy showmanship hehe..The thing that bugs me is when everybody and there momma uses the same song. Also, when everyone uses the same tech, it all starts looking the same! This past competition, while we were doing our kick dance, our tape decided to screw up and stop(THAT was scary and annoying)but the cool thing was, we already knew what to do in case that happened, one of our officers started to count and we finished the dance with counts. I am telling yall, EVERYONE FREAKED. I swear, standing ovation and the stands sounding like they were about to crash down. We won the whole comp and got a special award..But it was still annoying having our tape screw up..And having to do it a second time, with the music hehehe TIRING!

love,
DanceDynamic
By JazzyKK9691 Comments: 535, member since Mon Apr 12, 2004
On Mon Jul 19, 2004 07:39 AM
i kno what ur saying about fouettes turns... my studio usually does a fouette section in senior dances but the seniors can do them clean and have gotten awards for them... they usually only pick the best people to do them Never everyone.... and on many dances in a category our studio tries to spread us out as best they can so we dont have to compete against each other...

i hate when little kids younger then me (12) try leaps, doubles, and fouettes and cant. they look so stupid and get critised anyway ast awards

DONT GET ME WRONG- some can and they do great but those who do....

i also hate it when no one claps at awards evn not that loud for there own people. loud awards rock.

i also hate when you cant hear/understand the announcer at awards!

i hate small dressing rooms and small stages.

i hate little kids acting like strippers, etc evn older kids but i never really seen that. i like competitions who penalize them for that though

i hate bragger and snots

i love talking to kids from other stidos and complementing them and vise versa.

*if you dont like a dance keep it to your self!* lol kk
By dancingrl247 Comments: 2989, member since Fri Sep 26, 2003
On Mon Jul 19, 2004 06:41 PM
here are just a few lol:

hereing the same song over and over again! most people know its overused but they coreograph a dance to it anyway and we're stuck hearing it over and over...

when people are talking so much during awards you can't here/understand the anouncer

people that say good job on your dance when you walk in the dressing room- i mean i know there being nice and sportsman like but we all know they didn't see it because they were back in the dressing room so don't lie!

when one studio has a bunch of really awesome dancers/dances and win everything and then other studios think the judges are playinhg favorites- not judging right. just because you didn't win b/c your competition was better doesn't mean there playing favorites

when studio judge each other. my studio always used to kind of dislike this studio that was always our rival and we said they were stuck up and everything. but at nationals this year we were all back stage waiting together and they were so suportive saying good luck and cheering when we came offand we all became friendly. i think we just needed to get to know each other and i wish other studios would do this.

the comp anouncers/mc's/ owners who get u[p and try to be funny at awrds- we don't care we want to know the results!
By acrochikmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 383, member since Wed Oct 15, 2003
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:08 AM
1)when the girls at awards sit in a circle with there feet out. It takes up so much room and the stage is already crouded!
2)when ppl doin awards try to make us lauph but instead it's just making it longer!
3)when you say good job to a studio and they just walk right past you

that was a fun post thx lol
By DancingFool5678 Comments: 751, member since Sun May 02, 2004
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:22 AM
When the overall winners stand down stage in a line with their awards and stand in 5th postition, up straight and perfect allignment.....lol our whole studio thinks it's really annoying when the do that. So, one competition when we went up for overalls we stood turned in with our butts out. It was hilarious!
By gottadance1303 Comments: 168, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 07:52 PM
i know what u mean dancerbaby....i went to a competition and there were only about 6 or 7 studios there ne way...but one of my friend went to one of them and said they had 150 dances.....IT WAS SICK...i looked at the program...and everyother dance was their studio and they won ALL THE TIME....i mean im very glad they have good numbers and such a great passion to compeate...but at least give the others a chance.

I also hate it when girls make fun of your coustumes and play it off like their not. we had HORRIBLE coustumes and we all knew it and the girls back stage would look at us anf gigle and everytime they walked past theywould be ;ike nice hates and just make rude comments.

Also when the judges look stricktly at the ammount of "tricks". we went to a comp...and they scored a group SUPER high...bu they didnt even have a emotion...half of them didnt smile ...but they did one leap and turn after the other. it was very very depressing.
On Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:07 PM
dancingfool hilarious! omg

to comment on your just cuz you dont win doesnt mean the competition aint fair totally agree!

i mean some comepetitions can be but sometimes you do do bad and you have to deal! i have been to competitons and said they were political...i was at a bad studio but i still today thought it was political in other ways. i am at a very professional studio now we do great but not always. we went to ADA... some dances did good and some got high silvers. they were so fair in there grating though.

i felt the dance that did bad, that usually does amazing, was to easy. the energy it took and facial/full body performance was demanding but technically we wanted more! that is why i was happy when my dance teacher faced the step it up a notch thing.

we are capable of more but i think they believe in like slow delicate training and intensive tecnquie because our older dancers are incredible thanks ADA!
By Razzie Comments: 286, member since Wed Apr 07, 2004
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:56 AM
We just came back from nationals and it was quite irritating. Don't get me wrong we had fun and we did well. However, I was so bored watching the same studio do the same turn combos through the whole number. It turned into a fouette competition hahhaa. Anyways, I felt really bad for those dancers. There were some master classes offered at the competition and that certain group had such a hard time keeping up with the class. Even the teacher made a comment to them that all they did was turns and didn't really dance. It was really sad and shame on their teachers for leading them down that road. These dancers definately train hard and dedicate alot of time to their craft. However, they are only training to do turns and extensions. Well sorry for the soapbox rant. hahaha All in all we did have a fun time. Oh!! One more annoying thing... a "certain" california studio refused to applaud for any studio than their own. That was kinda lame of them. Oh well, we had a great time cheering everyone on :)
Peace y'all
By dance_queen001member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 910, member since Sun Jan 11, 2004
On Thu Jul 22, 2004 04:22 PM
The one thing that drives me crazy is the fouette turns, and when your back stage and poeple who are suposed to be getting ready, come and stand in the wings in front of you, when your next, and can't get on the stage! it's so annoying, i feel like riping their heads off!
By RDSSPomDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 353, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Sat Jul 24, 2004 03:43 PM
I hate it when the dancers open their mouth and all. I mean, come on..it just looks weird! I mean nodding and shaking her head is alright but don't open your mouth!
By I_luv_2_dance007 Comments: 1192, member since Fri Jun 20, 2003
On Sat Jul 24, 2004 07:57 PM
I dont like slippery stages! I always feel soo sorry for the person that happens to fall on it. This one thearter has the worst stage, it feels like your dancing on ice! (Ok not that bad, but still!)

*Jessica*
Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By moabcricketmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 845, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Thu Aug 05, 2004 08:39 AM
Edited by moabcricket (92487) on 2004-08-05 08:47:22
1. Poor judges who have less knowledge about dance than I do. Being too young to score at the National level. Pet Peez.

2. Judges who have members on their own team dancing - and they win!

2. Slick floors (do they do that thinking they are being nice to you by waxing them).. Leave them dirty -- pleezzz.

3. I was upset by some of the other parents on our team this year. They were asked to keep food and stuff out of the gym. There was several thousand people roaming in and out. That was a fair request. One of the parents stated "I paid @#$#$% dollars to get in here - why don't they hire a janitor?" They went ahead and brought their food in and left a poopie diaper on the stands as well. There were a few of us who took trash sacks around and cleaned up towards the end of Nationals. Quess who cleaned up the poopy diaper? You DO NOT bad mouth the National staff at a National Competition. This will come back to bite them in the butt - bet on it. It was sad - I had to report it to "our" team director. SAD... I was embarrased... :(

4. Snobby girls who think they are it. They have no respect for where others may be coming from.

5. Large Groups who overload the catagories. They split up a large team and they enter them into two or more lower catagories (doubling and tripling the amount of groups in some of those catagories). I hate reading the schedule and seeing one dance company listed 3 times in the same catagory. If they danced together they would be in a higher or different catagory. The system that allows large teams to cheat - I hate this. It ties up the competition - they get all the awards. They scream the loudest because they have 700 members on the floor! I just love it when a little team kicks their almighty butts. YEAH!~

6. I got over the fact that beginner level meant you could do Quaddrupple Foruettes, with an arial out into a backlay out to slam splits to walk on water years ago.

7. The verdict is still out yet on little girls in VAMP costumes. They are hot, they are cute, they move like lighting, but.... you need a well rounded family enivornment to make sure these young ones are protected. There are too many wacko's in the world.

8. Wacko's.

Grrr. Rowl, Growl... I'm glad competiton doesn't start up again until December. Meow... Rant, rave. :)

Karma for you... I wish this was a sticky.
On Fri Aug 06, 2004 06:44 AM
>>Slick floors (do they do that thinking they are being nice to you by waxing them).. Leave them dirty -- pleezzz.!!!!
By dancingdiva83 Comments: 327, member since Sun Aug 08, 2004
On Sun Aug 08, 2004 06:16 PM
Ugh-that battement that everyone is doing these days-the one in second but parallel-more of a modern table-like alignment
but where they wahck it really hard and aim it so their crotches are right to the audience and judges! Its nice you can get your leg up so high-but we don't want a crotch shot everytime you kick your leg!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:02 PM
Sizes of the groups drives me crazy.

If you've got 80 ballet dancers, you really, REALLY don't need to bring 20 groups of 4 people with you. Go ahead and combine a few of those, okay?

I understand that with the stress, and the nerves, and the whatever, that everyone is kind of on a different plane at the competitions. However, if I speak to you, at least react to me. I'm not expecting sparkling conversation. I, however, am expecting you to notice that I'm standing there.

Also, the announcers should call the categories...for example...

"We're getting ready to move into Small Group Pointe. So, all Small Group Pointe routines need to be back stage. Small Group Tap, you need to be getting lined up, and Small Group Jazz, you should all be dressed."

Because at a competition my group went to this spring, if I hadn't been standing backstage anyway, I would have never known they expected my group to be in line!

Theresa
By chelliewhikmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1174, member since Mon Jul 05, 2004
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 08:44 AM
i agree about the fouette turns...what is impressive, i saw this at one dance studio...she did regular fouette turns on her right ball changed and did them on her left, both flawless!

i also dont like it if they try to do a penche and the line gets broken same with a split if they cant do it 100% i dont like to see it
By Broadwaybabe Comments: 585, member since Mon Jun 16, 2003
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 09:25 PM
When little kids win something because they are cute!!! I hate this, there is this girl who's probably about 6 (she's amazing!) at my studio and she lost to another girl who was about 4 (pretty good) because the other girls dance was cuter and less technical. I hate it when this happens!! It's a dance competition, NOT A BEAUTY (or cutie) CONTEST! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest! :)

*Meg*
Page:
Page 1 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch