Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 13 of 21: 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Also
By AllThatJazz09
On Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:46 AM
Also, it annoys me when someone pops out into a solo to create visual effect for the team. I mean it looks cool, but isn't competitions suppose to be a team effort?
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 03:42 PM
Unqaulified judges. i don't go to that many competitions, only like one or two a year, so it's like a big deal in my studio. But it's just a let down when the judges don't know anything about what there judging. like the only competition i went to this year had only one judge, and she even said herself that she has a MUSICAL THEATER background. like what are you doing judging ballet,lyrical,jazz, ect. when your a musical theater judge!!?? that's another thing. I hate it when comopetitions include musical theater in them. I mean it's a whole different kind of thing, it's not even dancing, unless you call lip syncing and walking around and doing a kick or turn one in a while dancing. No offence to musical theater or anything, but i don't think it belongs in a dancing competition.
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By DanceJAM06
On Mon Aug 21, 2006 09:21 PM
I hate it when:
*there's VERY provacative choreography and costumes
*there's pretty much the same dance over and over again
*bad technique
*parents and dancers from other studios talk about other parents and dancers from other studios
*the crowd cheers for everything the team does
*you tell the team that is fixing to go on stage good luck, they don't say thank you or they ignore you
*you tell a team good job, they don't say thank you or they ignore you
*judges don't score fairly

There are many more things but those are just a few that really annoy me.
By heartz4youmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 30, 2006 03:21 PM
When Someone steals my hangers and I dont have one anymore.
Stage moms that are only there to help there kids and when someone else is needing assistance on a quick change and the stage mom just watches and does nothing!!!
xox Kassandra
By teenagewitchmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 16, 2006 06:19 PM
Edited by teenagewitch (156949) on 2006-09-16 18:24:40 just remembered something!
Edited by teenagewitch (156949) on 2006-09-16 18:25:28
Some things that drive me crazy at competitions are:
-girls who leave their things ALL OVER the shared changeroom.
-when other schools are mean and inconsiderate. during one dance, some girls are making fun of us backstage while we were dancing, and we could see them and everything
-dancers taking everything too seriously, like lighten up a bit
-teachers who seem to think their groups are the only ones allowed to be backstage, even when the dance isn't on for a while.
-being kicked out of a changeroom that was supposed to be shared, because the other studio "doesn't want you there"

But what bothers me most is when dancers are crowding backstage. This happens very often. If my studio has dances where we need to run a lot backstage, we politely ask other dancers to please stand back, or ask the backstage people to tell them to. There are many times though where they just seem to crowd the wings even more. During one dance last year, a girl twisted her ankle as she ran backstage because she tripped over a bunch of dancers sitting on the floors in the wings. We had asked them to keep out of the wings, but obviously they didn't care. I find this really inconsiderate and these dancers should know better.
By dreamer8604
On Fri Sep 29, 2006 09:38 PM
i haaaa te it when ppl paint on the emotion in lyrical dances. my studio tries to teach dancing from within, not acting.

i saw FIVE dances to "wild horses" by natasha beddingfield at nationals this year (it was a huge nationals) and ALLLL of them had pretty smiles on. all five! HELLOO just because its pretty music doesnt mean its a happy song. listen to the lyrics in the verses its very sad!!!!
By dancergirly1017
On Wed Oct 11, 2006 02:05 PM
When a group has a boring song or a song that like 100 groups have already used, have no emotion on their faces, and do tricks for the entire dance. Also, what annoys me even more is when one studio has about 30 dances with the same exact people doing the same exact tricks. Then they always wind up winning like, everything. Also, when the audience talks during numbers. One time there were these two people behind me and my friend who talked through everything, and they wernt even wispering! Then, when their studio came on, they were quiet. While their studio was on, I wispered to my friend very quietly "What time is it" and both of them were like "shhhhhhh we cant hear!!!" it was very annoying.
By balletismylife93
On Wed Oct 18, 2006 02:41 PM
One of my biggest things is how sometimes there arent enough dressing rooms, or there's plenty but there impossible to use if you have one dance, and then you have another like 3 dances later. how do they expect you to change and get down to the stage in time? this happens to me at recital and sometimes a copetition cause they are held at the same place. the theatre has dressing rooms above the stage and i get stuck with a 4th floor dressing room.

i also am annoyed by dancers, teachers, and parents who are rude. they are to concerned about winning and themselves that they don't respect others. hog restroom stalls, mirrors in dressing rooms, etc.

in my opinion you have to learn to deal with this kind of stuff at competition because somethings never change in dance.

~Kayla~
By balletismylife93
On Wed Oct 18, 2006 02:42 PM
One of my biggest things is how sometimes there arent enough dressing rooms, or there's plenty but there impossible to use if you have one dance, and then you have another like 3 dances later. how do they expect you to change and get down to the stage in time? this happens to me at recital and sometimes a copetition cause they are held at the same place. the theatre has dressing rooms above the stage and i get stuck with a 4th floor dressing room.

i also am annoyed by dancers, teachers, and parents who are rude. they are to concerned about winning and themselves that they don't respect others. hog restroom stalls, mirrors in dressing rooms, etc.

in my opinion you have to learn to deal with this kind of stuff at competition because somethings never change in dance.

~Kayla~
comp is sad
By Cirquedancer89
On Thu Oct 19, 2006 02:09 PM
competition dance is really sad now is all turn and tricks its really sad its not true dance as art people say to me all the time comp dance is a sport studio and performing is art im like no all dance is art it just bugs me ~~
By Yakkie
On Sat Nov 04, 2006 09:54 PM
Edited by Yakkie (166225) on 2006-11-04 21:56:37
Edited by Yakkie (166225) on 2006-11-04 21:57:01
Competition Things That Really Bug Me:
- When arms are reaaaallly sloppy and they have mitten hands
- WHEN THEY DON'T POINTE THEIR FEET!
- When there are only cruise ship dancers as judges and they mark all of the ballet dances low, due to the fact that they don't know how to judge them properly
- When awards are given out based on tricks and not actual dancing
- When songs are overplayed, and all of the routines look the same even though they are all from different studios
- Younger children doing provacative movements and everyone cheers them on
- When studios are mean to one another
- When your dances have lots of running around backstage, and other studios purposely stand in the wings and block the way so you can't get back on, even though you asked them to stand back before the dance started (Happened to us once and wasn't fun)
- How all studios HAVE to have fouettes (which aren't always done well) or turns in second
- Crazy facials that don't add to the dance
By dancerina234
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:27 PM
i HATEEEE overused songs!! please, people--if you really want your dance to stand out at a competition (as most would?) then do something original! alot of times i just walk out when i start to see dances to the same song over and over and over again.
By prettydancer91
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:55 AM
This is one thing that really bugs me that i KNOW happens, don't tell me it doesn't...

*Studio's Lieing about Ages*

I know it happens because i used to go to a studio that did that, and honestly... if your 10, and compeating agenst 7 year olds and you take top platinum, what does that teach you? that your better than 7 year olds, YOUR 10 YOU BETTER BE!!
By Girlytapper29
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 06:49 PM
Oh my gosh
Dancers that do tricks for every category really bugs me
Also People who block the winga and win. My studio was doing a production and when it came time for our senior group to come on the next production had blocked the wings with there tables. So we couldn't get back on in time and they started the next section of our dance without us. Lets just say major points were lost. When the dance who had blocked the wings went on they were so sleezy it was sickening . I mean they were dancing on tables. I mean it's a dance competition not a stripping contest. well anyways thats what bugs me
By iLOVPERSEVERANCE
On Mon Dec 04, 2006 05:48 PM
I hate when you see about a million annoying parents in the dressing room "helping" their daughters get dressed! If your like 3-7 maybe its alright but, I see girls that are like 12 whhos moms are like changing them. Espesialy when its a big dressing room with a bunch of studios in it but, if every kkid has their mom in there, no one can move! No parents are alloed in the dressing rooms at my studio.. I am soooo thankful! If there was, I think i might just have to scream!!!!
I also hate when the only boy in the dance is the main focus! THe girls might be equally as talented. The boy should stand out sometimes. But the whole dance shouln't be based around him! Well, sometimes depending on the song!
By iLOVPERSEVERANCE
On Mon Dec 04, 2006 05:57 PM
I alos hate when people steal your costumes! My studio has AHHHMAZING costumes and our directer spends a tonm of time thinking of costumes and the next yeaar when we go to competition, everyone has almost the exact same same costume! Especially when people copy me and my sisters solo costumes. @ our studio, we set the limit price for our solo costumes and our directer designs a costume that wil fit in our price range. My mom always lets me and my sister not have a limit on our solo costume price. So basically, my directer can have our seamstris make it however she wants and put as many rhinestones ect. on it. People come to compition te next year with the same costume and it is so unfair! I was like to myu friend, HA! I HAVE THAT COSTUME AT HOME! LOL! I wis people were more creative instead of plagerising other peoples costume idesas!
By dancebabe101
On Sat Dec 09, 2006 09:35 AM
i hate it when everyone pulls faces at the judges.
i think its ok for champs to do it in there dance ons but come on you dont have to do it constant.

:()
By dancin4u2c44
On Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:48 AM
ok dancerbaby blah blah ok no offens or anything but your kinda talking about studios behind their backs so i wouldn't be talkin
By dancin4u2c44
On Fri Dec 29, 2006 03:11 PM
my dance teacher/competition coreagrapher is a judge for some comps(not the ones we go to of course)and she said that one girl came out on stage with what looked like a bra and underwear and right away she gave her a zero
By dancin4u2c44
On Fri Dec 29, 2006 03:14 PM
my dance teacher/competition coreagrapher is a judge for some comps(not the ones we go to of course)and she said that one girl came out on stage with what looked like a bra and underwear and right away she gave her a zero
By dancerchick7
On Tue Jan 09, 2007 06:01 PM
When little kids do inappropriate things for their age! Oh my goodness! I'm not going to say what studio and where or anything but there was this one dance at one of my competitions! And our jazz dance got inappropriate moves for age points taken off and there wasn't anything bad in it (my mom's a stickler for those types of things and she didn't even think that there was anything bad) and these little kids won! Crazy!
By krldancervt
On Fri Jan 12, 2007 03:39 PM
I agree with most of these annoying things. I'm not sure if someone mentioned this one...but I HATE BAD MUSIC CUTS!!! If you can't do it yourself hire a professional and pick a better spot to cut the music. It's so distracting!!
By Dance_Star5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:08 PM
I hate when there's a tiny stage for a big group, and small dressing rooms for more than one dance school. Theres always one school that take over the dressing rooms, like in one we had a whole gym for three dance schools and our school was given one table and a few chairs. grrr!
Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By JustDance92
On Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:10 PM
1)The way the announcers say "High Silver"
2) When you say goodjob to someone and they walk by and dont even look at you.
3)DRAMA
4)When musical theater numbers are nothing but turns, and splits and stuff, grrrr
This is the number one thing I think that makes me angry- Last year we had a production that was both tap and jazz, so we did shoe changes and such, and we asked the bacl stage guy to make sure that no one was going t be back stage during our dance because we were going to have to run from one end to another, and we couldnt have anyone being in the path. So of course, when I had 2 counts of 8 to get from one end of the stage to the other I ran into about 5 people just standing there, one of which tripped me, and I hit my head on a pole backstage!! Funny, yes, but I didnt make it on and I had a lift to do!:S:S:S
Page:
Page 13 of 21: 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch