Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 17 of 211 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By tapitup Comments: 21, member since Sun Sep 25, 2005
On Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:12 PM
Edited by tapitup (141847) on 2008-03-22 23:13:50
Well, this has probably been mentioned before....but what drives me the most crazy is too loud of music for tap routines! Respect the ART....Turn Down The Sound!
By x0x0x0x0 Comments: 1, member since Tue Mar 11, 2008
On Sun Mar 23, 2008 06:17 PM
nastiness backstage. We had a producti0on number this year and we had a shoe change that was extyremly quick . We put our shoes in a certain place for everyone right before going onstage and when came back offstage to change shoes not only had girls moved the shoes all into a jumble together, but girls were laughing and standing right in the way of the shoes! it was ridiculous.

i also hate the break up of a large group into tons of small groups. when your studio has a large group which has enetererd a routine in every possible dance style dont ya think its a little much to break them in half and do the same with their small groups?
By HSDDancer Comments: 72, member since Tue Dec 21, 2004
On Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 PM
1. Glitter gel and hairspray. Sure, I wear glitter hair products. It can be catchy, maybe bring a little extra to the table, but when I see this poor little girl that actually has blonde hair, and has caked on so much glitter hairspray that her hair is grey, and doesn't even sparkle anymore because there's so much of it, I think that's just cruel.

2. When I watch somebody's dance, and they do a good job, and I decide to tell them "Hey! Good job!" and they look at me and walk away. Sorry that I had a heart today. I guess I won't bring it next time you do your solo.

3. When a dance does really good, that the dancer feels that they no longer have to bring originality to the table, and just keeps doing the same style over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

4. Stage moms. Shudder. I mean HEAVEN FORBID their poor daughter actually has a calorie in her lifetime. I once had a friend, who was at 7 at the time, where her mom didn't allow her to have any junk food or anything that might be a WEE bit fattening like, 3 months before competition. So this 7 year old is like, on weight watchers, and her mom realizes that she has no energy what so ever. Well what do you expect when her diet has consisted of water? So get this, her mom goes out and buys candy necklaces, ring pops, chocolate bars, suckers, etc and shoves them down her daughter's throat half an hour before our duet. Do you know what happens when a child deprived of sugar has a huge load of it all at once? She speeds up major fast because she's so freaking hyper and our duet is ruined because we finish 8 counts before we're supposed too. Sorry, that's a long story but I thought you might like to hear that.

5. Although I feel really bad for them, when people run off crying. I know that they get scared and everything, and I can respect that, but if they ever want a future in dancing they had best learn to stop pronto. I once forgot my solo and stood for 8 counts starring at the audience, because I was trained to NEVER EVER run off the stage. You can just stand there for your whole dance, but do not run off. So I guess it just annoys me because I have been trained against it.

6. When judges know the competitors. Well no doubt, who do you think is going to win? Like seriously people.

7. I really hate it when they mix the song and dance with just musical theater, because obviously the singers are going to take it. They are bringing more to the dance, so they should have a seperate category.

8. It really frusterates me when everybody freaks me out right before I go on. I have a phobia of watching my competitors right before I go on, so whenever I'm waiting to do a solo that I'm really nervous about, and my competitor comes off and my friends and teachers are like "Holy! That was amazing! She's so good! Wow!" I mean do you really think I'm gonna go out there with a whole lot of confidence?

9. I could really hurt the people that believe that sabotaging another teams costumes of stealing their things is really going to help their chances of winning. I had this sweater that my parents had gotten personally embroidered for my 13th birthday, and I was in love with it, and I was rushing to go dance so I threw it onto my bag, and when I came back somebody had stolen it. And that same year somebody went into my friends bag and stole her expensive charm bracelet. Do you really think that my jacket and her charm bracelet = HIGH GOLD ON YOUR DANCE! Karma doesn't really work that way hunny.

10. So I don't know if this is a very common thing, but there is this one guy at my competition (from another studio) that is very VERY cocky. And that is another thing that really gets me, but anyways, and all of the little girls saw him for the first time and thought he was really cute, which he wasn't but that's besides the point. So they all go and nominate him a billion times for the sportsmanship award because that's the only way they think they can show their love for him, and he wins not because he's kind and sportmanslike, because he is NOT, but because he has all this little admirers. GGR.

Ok I'm done now. I know that that's a lot and everything haha and I'm sorry to write so much but I have a competition in like, 8 days, and I thought I had best vent before I go!

Thanks so much for letting me post this, I'm really not that rude of a person, but somethings I just can't keep bottled up!

Good luck to everybody at their competitions! I pray you don't have as many annoying things as me!
By dance_em Comments: 23, member since Thu Mar 27, 2008
On Thu Mar 27, 2008 01:18 PM
things that drive me crazy at dance competitons are people who have a stupid looking smile, people that aren't in time with each other and people don't smile or show emotion at all!!
By lele277 Comments: 3, member since Sat Aug 11, 2007
On Mon Apr 14, 2008 03:53 AM
Everybody has to share the dressing rooms. I hate it when one studio "reserves" 80% of the dressing room space for their group when they only have like 15% of the total # of dancers. Then acts like you have leprosy when you want to change in "their" space.
By DanceAllDay929 Comments: 48, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Tue Apr 15, 2008 08:38 PM
HSDDancer wrote:

9. I could really hurt the people that believe that sabotaging another teams costumes of stealing their things is really going to help their chances of winning. I had this sweater that my parents had gotten personally embroidered for my 13th birthday, and I was in love with it, and I was rushing to go dance so I threw it onto my bag, and when I came back somebody had stolen it. And that same year somebody went into my friends bag and stole her expensive charm bracelet. Do you really think that my jacket and her charm bracelet = HIGH GOLD ON YOUR DANCE! Karma doesn't really work that way hunny.

Oh my God I know. This past weekend someone stole my Ugg boots. I was sooo mad because those aren't cheap. And I didn't have an extra pair of shoes so I had to borrow this girl's shoes to walk out to the parking lot, and her feet are like 3 or 4 sizes smaller than mine.
By pinkandpistachioPremium member Comments: 482, member since Sun Jun 17, 2007
On Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:18 PM
i hate it when your teacher and so sit there and criticize all the dances from other studios when it's very clear that they're amazing (and the teacher/so told us they wouldn't tolerate talking abou other studios!)

one thing that drove me absolutely insane (i probably would have quit if nothing happened to me):

we were at a comp and our teacher and ad (same person) decided to go out to eat for 3.5 hours without telling us and just left. she missed almost all of our dances. when she got back, she watched the dances on the dvd player they had. when she watched these two little 8 year old girls from our team do their duet (they were the youngest by far on the team and very very very shy) she was full of hating sarcastic comments like "how many TIMES do i have to TELL you to GET IT RIGHT" and "what does she i'm going to choreograph to her specific arm needs"

i was thinking 'they're only EIGHT! you should be PROUD they had the courage to get onstage infront of 300 people and judges without you after seeing some very talented kids and perform with smiles!'
By lovelydancer_92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 349, member since Wed Jun 06, 2007
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 02:46 PM
It bugs me when people are rude at competitions. I understand that we are their competition, but there is no reason to be mean.

Also, I don't like when (it seems like) only groups that tumble get top awards. It just doesn't seem fair that just because they can tumble that they win (although I do think that it looks very cool, and I give them props for all that hard work in their tumbling)

Thankfully, at my studio we have support coming from the parents, team members, and our teachers. They are always there if you need advice, reassurance, or even a hug. We'll get critiques but we know that it is just to help us =)
By ShutUpAndDance08 Comments: 3, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:09 PM
...Iltf91:

AMEN! finally someone who agrees. this means i'm not totally crazy:)
By ShutUpAndDance08 Comments: 3, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:14 PM
ackk i probably should have typed this with my last comment...anyways:

I really cant stand when people are rude...especially to the dancers who won. regardless of which studio the dance was from, the judges obviously saw something special in that dance and thats why it won. get over it. politics my butthole. don't be rude to the winners just because they spent countless hours dancing their hearts out to perfect a dance and got rewarded. k thanks

also...crazy hair really really annoys me. whats wrong with a bun, pony, or half and half? are the little twists in your hair and the rhinestones and giltter in your parts really neccessary? i didnt think so.

^.^
By DanielleRoseJ Comments: 1, member since Sun Jan 27, 2008
On Mon Apr 21, 2008 04:39 PM
oh em ge your points are so god. I hate when boys get all of he platinums in solos or duets even when they arent that good! I mean yes they are boys and maybe its impressive that they can do dance well, BUT oh em ge they steal every award from people who are just as or maybe better than them!
By dancestar22193 Comments: 13, member since Sun May 18, 2008
On Sun May 18, 2008 06:53 AM
here are the tope 5 things that bug the crap out of me:
1. ok so just yesterday and friday I was at a competition and this seriously happened. i left my curling iron plugged during one of my numbers so that it would stay hot and when I got back, some random person I didn't know was just sitting there using it... and I know it was mine becasue it had my last name on it! HOW RUDE!!!
2. when little girls do dirty dances and wear totally inappropriate(spelling??) outfits
3. When people don't point their toes in ballet, jazz ect. (not hip hop... thats ok)it just looks so bad
4. When girls play the part of a guy in a character number... I know some peopl thinks this is ok, but I just kind of find it weird... I mean, couldn't they just do a cute number that could be done with two girls... I just hate to see 2 girls partnering w/ one dressed as a guy
5. when moms totally parade around thier daughters and are control freaks. I noticed the other day (friday) that there was this one mom that was watching while her daughters group warmed up and was yelling at her little girl 9like age 7) not to mention every other girl in the number, for every little thing that wasn't perfect. She wouldn't even let the coach do her job. some people just get way too competitive ad forget that its supposed to be fun
By DFX_Dancer Comments: 2, member since Sat May 19, 2007
On Thu May 22, 2008 03:57 PM
Everyones comments are very true BUT the worst is when a competition doesn't cut off the number of entries and the competition starts on a Thursday afternoon at 4pm and goes to Sunday night until Midnight. Come on people. Don't be so greedy for the money. Let's make this an enjoyable experience some people have homework.
By TobyInWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1142, member since Sat Mar 29, 2008
On Sun May 25, 2008 12:19 AM
I actually like to see the fouette sections in routines. But what drives me crazy is when peope leave rubbish and paper everywhere and they drop it right next to the bins. grrr
By amymaree Comments: 1, member since Tue May 27, 2008
On Tue May 27, 2008 08:58 PM
hey! I am doing a story on Stage Mothers for a story at uni. I am doing Journalism. If you have any girls that have a stage mother and are being pushed into dancing, can you please ask them to contact me? my email address is amy@talkedup.com.au
I wouldn't say anything bad about them, and it won't be published, it is just an assignment. Thanks!
By AsPiRex333 Comments: 217, member since Sun Apr 09, 2006
On Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:29 PM
Edited by AsPiRex333 (155938) on 2008-06-11 12:34:20
1. I know that a lot of people commented about other people stealing your things and I'd just like to add to that because it totally gets on my nerves! At our first competition this season, I couldn't find one of my jazz shoes. Luckily, my friend found it -- in the garbage can in the boys dressing room, along with my friend's company jacket! We were both positive that we left our stuff in our dance bags, and we would never set foot in the boys' dressing room. Clearly, a girl from another company took my shoe and my friends jacket, and gave it to a guy to put it in the garbage can in the boy's dressing room. It was so nasty and I couldn't believe it.

2. At that same competition was a team that is relatively very large, so of course they will take up a lot of room while practicing. However, the competition was at a performing arts center at a highschool and they took up the whole cafeteria! All of the companies need room in the cafeteria to practice.

3. I can't stand cheerleader dances. That's what I call dances that have no style at all, but lots and lots of tricks. What really makes me mad is when they win!

4. Our company is friendly and we tell other dancers "Good Job" after they get off stage, and the dancers waiting backstage "Good Luck" after we get off stage. It's really rude when they don't respond with even a smile.

5. This more relates to outside of dance competitions, but it gets on my nerves when a non-competitive dancer says that a dance is inapropriate, just because the dancer is in a half top. Half tops show lines better, and they definately aren't as hot as full tops. Now, it's one thing if its a younger dancer and they're doing suggestive moves, (even then, the dancer shouldn't be critisized), but if it's just a comment on the costume, I don't think that the dancer should be put down.

And I noticed this comment from DanielleRoseJ:

DanielleRoseJ wrote:

oh em ge your points are so god. I hate when boys get all of he platinums in solos or duets even when they arent that good! I mean yes they are boys and maybe its impressive that they can do dance well, BUT oh em ge they steal every award from people who are just as or maybe better than them!

My studio has many many very talented boys, who always win A LOT, but not just for the fact that they're guys. The truth is that boys ( esp. if they're younger) will always get more points because of their gender, because it takes a lot of guts to go to dance competitions, for most people stereotype it as a "girls sport". However, the guys at my dance studio still win because they are excellent dancers. Judges love seeing a bunch of guys on the stage having a good time, it's a fact, but even if they were girls, I think they would still have a great chance of winning because of their talent.
By dancemeldance Comments: 51, member since Sat Feb 09, 2008
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 05:23 PM
I loveee competition but some things just bother me terribly!
1.when competitions have the dressing rooms in the same area as the concession so random people just walk in and out while you're changing.yeah not fun!
2.studios that win a lot of awards just because they had about 200 dances in it.
3.dancers who win awards for amazing solos and aren't happy or excited about it.
4.costumes that are basically bedazzled bras and booty shorts
5.studios that don't share the dressing room.
6.dancers that deliberately get in your way especially when you have 10 minutes to get a wig off and a new costume on!
7.dances that all look the same.
8.stage moms who yell at their children even though they did really well
9.dancers who laugh and talk about you off stage
10.when people enter and leave the auditorium during dances
11.WHEN JUDGES DON'T GIVE CRITIQUES BUT GIVE LOW SCORES!!!!

but i still love competition
By Lyrical_Girlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 256, member since Mon Jul 09, 2007
On Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:08 PM
Edited by Lyrical_Girl (182391) on 2008-07-01 23:15:28
Well I really can't stand:

~ People who only cheer for people in there studio, the othere dancers feel bad you know!!!!
~Small dressing rooms
~Misspelt comments on the comment sheet (when will the writers learn the proper terminology?!
~Snobby stuidos and mean comments about other dancers (In a program of a compition we go to, on the first page when you open the book it says, 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all' love that!
~People in the dressing room the move your makeup mag and take you awesome spot at the mirror!
~When people have the same costume/song as you!!
~Skimpy costumes on little kids. Let me rephrase that... skimpy costumes on anyone!
~Rude adjudicators. Basicly says it by itself

By missdance95 Comments: 45, member since Wed Jul 09, 2008
On Wed Jul 09, 2008 06:53 PM
I hate how flippers go into an open catorgery( sorry that I spelt it wrong ) and the people who are kind of doing a modern get jipped because judges like flippers . my best friend did an open and she would always get high silvers because of flippers ! that's why they have acro/gym !

I also dislike how some judges would look so disgusted with your numbers and you would see , cause then you feel like they don't think you or your team is good , but on the scores that was the highest scoring ! or visa versa when a judge looks likes so into the number and they give you a low score .
By GumbyGirl1990 Comments: 101, member since Wed Jul 23, 2008
On Sun Jul 27, 2008 02:04 AM
lildancindiva23 wrote:

*Little kids doing dirty things. It's not necessary.
*Rudeness. At a nationals this year one of our younger girls heard some lady from another studio talking about her and was calling her a whore. Um, she's 10. She shouldn't even know what a whore is.
*Seeing people throw tricks into dances that are way above their ability level. You see this ALOT at drill team stuff, but it drives me crazy seeing people who don't have a good double trying to pull of quads and fouettes. Stick to easier, but clean.

Ah, I couldn't have said it better. The last one annoys me the most though! I hate when someone does a quadruple pirouette but they're traveling all over the place and yet the audinence goes wild. I'd be much more impressed with a clean triple.

It also drives me crazy when their expressions don't suit the mood of the song or the choreography of the dance. :(
By MissJess Comments: 113, member since Thu Aug 14, 2008
On Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:50 AM
I had something happen to me at a competition this season that I have NEVER IN MY LIFE seen before! My hip hop group came in 2nd place to another studio that had a great and exciting routine. (I honestly think my students were better, but that was my personal opinion to keep to myself!) I was also very pleased with the 2nd place, and we received an "outstanding enery" award also for the same routine....BUT...when the awards ceremony was over, this teacher from the school that won 1st place was yelling to my students, "IN YO FACE!!! Yeah, you know who is the best! WE ARE!" I was in shock, and partially wanted to throw something at her, but for my students sake, I maintained my composure and explained that this teacher was obviously a moron...I mean, who does that? I was just mortified that a teacher would act in such a manner!
By dancerocks9 Comments: 71, member since Sat Aug 16, 2008
On Mon Aug 18, 2008 07:32 PM
I'm pretty good at keeping my cool and not getting upset about most things but sometimes I can't stand it.
1. One studio at the competitions have little girls like 3 or 4 competing and all they do is shae their butts
2. At one competition I was trying to get to the stage and they had all these little girls lined up on the stairs leading up to the stage and when they saw me comming they stood in the middle of the stairs and when I tried to squeeze past them they glared at me I mean they were only 6 or 7
3. When some studios win everything
4. When you have to share a dressing room with a big studio
5. When girls show off backstage and start streaching and doing their splits that really bugs me
6. And finally when the whole dance is basically turns fouettes and al la seconds thats cool for a while but it gets old fast
By sky_dancer_2010member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 190, member since Sat Nov 10, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2008 07:02 PM
Just a few things.

1. When girls do nothing but prance around the stage and get a platinum, even if they do NOTHING but prance around.

2. When little itty bitty kids use the "cute" factor and win over a kid with techique because they're cute.

3. Little kids who have trampy costumes and dance to a big kid song and still get a platinum, and guess what, FIRST IN THE CATIGORY!!

4. More tumbling then necessary...like the studios that push the tumbling rules. We get it, you can do back handsprings...can you show us a turn now please?

5. I don't know about you guys, but it bothers me when someone uses my song or has my costume....like alot.

6. When people sit in the wings during a production, then complain when you push or step on them. Sorry, but if I need to get around to the other side of the stage in 10 seconds and get in line up and I'm first in line, sorry kid, your going down. My team isn't going to suffer for you.

7. Tricks people can't do in a dance.

8. Timing issues.

9. Stick stages!!! but also to slick of a stage too.

10. When theres like 4 little studios and 1 big one....and the 1 big one brings home everything.

I'll probably be back with more...
just some stuff right off the top of my head. haha
By tink4 Comments: 20, member since Sun Sep 21, 2008
On Sun Sep 21, 2008 08:36 PM
dancing fool....standing like that at awards is how it should be..it looks professional....looks very nice on stage i always think,..just me though..
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Sat Sep 27, 2008 05:30 PM
We had an outstanding year last year and placed really well in a lot of things... But the whole awards ceremony everyone was shooting daggers at us. I seriously felt like it might kill me. And some douchebag late-highschool guys who told me I was gay because I was wearing makeup. Umm, I'm kinda on a stage picking up and supporting a bunch of girls; I need makeup so I don't look like a ghost.
Page:
Page 17 of 211 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch