Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 18 of 211 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By dancerforever123 Comments: 29, member since Fri Oct 17, 2008
On Sat Oct 18, 2008 06:09 AM
this is an add on to lildiva76's comment I LOVE meeting friends from other studios and getting to see them at alll the conpetions and also there is alot of people at my school who dance but go to a different and I like seeing them at competions too it is like spending the night with them but not! but i hate when you meet somebody then you say hi to them the next competion and they look like you never existed!!!
On Sat Oct 18, 2008 06:10 AM
this is an add on to lildiva76's comment I LOVE meeting friends from other studios and getting to see them at alll the conpetions and also there is alot of people at my school who dance but go to a different and I like seeing them at competions too it is like spending the night with them but not! but i hate when you meet somebody then you say hi to them the next competion and they look like you never existed!!!
On Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 AM
I went to a comp and the judge was using hand signals when talking on the little tape thingy, it was so funny! Also 1 time i went to 1 and a judge ws like ALKING ON THE PHONE DURING MY DANCE THEN WAS EATING AND DROPPED CRUMBS ALL OVE THE COMMENT SHEET! I WAS SO ANGRY
On Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:31 AM
even though i have commented like 3 times a lot of the time, what ever you guys are sayig about comps you also do it sometimes!!!!1
By Chepyl Comments: 2346, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Sat Nov 01, 2008 07:37 PM
I hate trachy dances (for any age).

I REALLY hate when the trashy dances win (even if they have excellent technique) the message it send to young girls about how they should dress and act is just plain WRONG!

I hate costumes that look like they have been purchsed at Victoria's Secret.

On a different note - I hate when they play music SO loud at the awards that you can't understand the announcer.
By dancerqtxoxo40 Comments: 84, member since Sun Nov 09, 2008
On Sun Nov 09, 2008 06:06 PM
I hate it when little kids have costumes that are so small and tiny that it barely covers them up!I also hate it how there is always one studio that goes around thinking there better than everyone elseand then when they win celebrate so loud!
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sat Nov 29, 2008 03:57 PM
This is my first year competing and it's really taught me how to act! Thanks so much!
By ballet_babe_sash Comments: 424, member since Fri Dec 29, 2006
On Sun Dec 28, 2008 04:43 AM
Most things have already been said, but I just wanted to add my 'two cents' on a couple things.

First of, my biggest hate at competitions is when girls move or use other dancers stuff - please respect our stuff as we respect yours! I understand if you need to just move a drink bottle back, or lift something up for a minute in order to put something down, but please return everything to where you found it and most of all DO NOT USE ANYTHING BELONGING TO ANOTHER DANCER WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION, especially if they do not belong to your studio.

Second of all, to all thoes people saying that it annoys them when "Someone else uses my costume or song". Well, news flash, you don't actually own either! Sure, you may have purchased hte song off iTunes, or bought a costume out of a catalogue, but they are open to anyone who wishes to use them! I know it can get annoying when someone used the same song as you, it's happened to me before, but they way that I look at it is try and be positive and think "Cool, they like the same song as me!" or even "Wow I never though of doing that move to the music!".

So please, all you daners out there, remember that we all need to respet each other, and treat them the way we wish to be treated ourselves! Im sure that we can all make competitions a much better expreience for all if we simply remember this!
On Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:39 PM
1. when little kids awards and dances have to be latest at like 10 pm the little kids shoud be 10 am!!!!

2. sparaying hair spray, sparkels, etc. in dressing room it is crowded enough it is just worse with hair chemicals everywhere!!
On Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:40 PM
1. when little kids awards and dances have to be latest at like 10 pm the little kids shoud be 10 am!!!!

2. sparaying hair spray, sparkels, etc. in dressing room it is crowded enough it is just worse with hair chemicals everywhere!!
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Tue Dec 30, 2008 05:32 PM
When girls have skimpy costumes and shake their butts in the judges face-I really dislike this.

When one dance is full of the same leap/turn etc.

When someone from a different studio is "fake nice" to you and you can tell.

When a studio refuses to be in the same dressing room as everyone else.

When parents/studio owners try to sabotage the competition and other studios. At one comp people were stealing eachothers props etc.
By danzadancer2285 Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 11, 2007
On Fri Jan 02, 2009 03:23 PM
Edited by danzadancer2285 (182484) on 2009-01-02 15:33:57 Just fixing a few things
I know that I have already posted on the thread once before; but with competition season coming to a start, I really need to get some things off my chest before I explode!

- Let me start off by saying that I was originally a ballet dancer that trained hardcore with a Russian teacher and one of the best companies in my state. So when I see dancers up on stage that have their stomachs hanging out, un-pointed feet, turned in legs, sloppy arms, etc I feel like slapping their teachers! Isn’t it the teacher’s responsibility to teach and correct these types of things? It makes me even angrier when these dances win high gold or even platinum. Are the judges out of their mind? Did they not see that disaster that they considered a “dance”? That in no way, shape, or form is a “dance” by my standards; it is just a mess!

- It is funny (for lack of a better word) to me when I can tell that two dances are from the same studio because the choreography is almost identical. Can’t the choreographer come up with something else? The same kick, jump, and turn- in the same sequence even! - don’t need to be in every dance; just like fouettes don’t need to be in every dance.

- I know a lot of people don’t like cheering during the dance, but it makes me feel self conscious when the audience doesn’t cheer for me. It makes me wonder if they aren’t cheering because they don’t like my dance or if I am doing badly. I would much rather have people cheer for me as long as it is done in a reasonable manner. With that being said, it also bugs me when dancers and even parents only cheer for people from their studio. Everybody worked hard, everybody deserves to the praise!

- Rudeness of any kind! My studio doesn’t tolerate it and I don’t think that anybody should. There is no reason to talk badly about a dance, dancer, or studio because everybody works hard. You wouldn’t like it if people talked about you in that way, so don’t do it to them. Isn’t that the golden rule?

- You can tell when somebody doesn’t have the ability to do a certain move. Maybe in a year or two they might be able to, but not right now. So why does the choreographer put that move into the dance? To increase the difficulty level, maybe? But by doing so, they are probably decreasing their techniqual level because it looks so sloppy. To me, it is the choreographer’s responsibility to show off the dancer’s abilities by putting in the moves that they can do and they are good at. I would rather see easy and clean than hard and sloppy.

- Dances are supposed to have dance moves in them, that’s why it is called dance. Is that so hard to understand? Apparently it is for the choreographers who put nothing but poses or tricks into their routine and call it a “dance”.

- Complaining! Grrr…. This one really gets to me. I hear a dancer come off stage and they start making up ridiculous reasons about why they couldn’t dance their best. “The stage was too slippery!” “The stage lights were to hot!” “My shoe almost fell off!” - Umm, no it didn’t. Trust me, I was watching and I would have noticed if it did. “My hair kept getting in my face!” - Your hair is gelled and pinned back, honey. I don’t think it got in your face. “There was this lady in the third row that kept distracting me by looking at me and making faces!” Just admit it, you didn’t do your best. You don’t need to make excuses. I admit, I do this to a certain degree, but I am trying to stop because making excuses won’t help me out any.

- It defeats the purpose of the competition when the judges award nothing but golds to everybody to avoid hurting people’s feelings.

Glitter gel and hairspray. Sure, I wear glitter hair products. It can be catchy, maybe bring a little extra to the table, but when I see this poor little girl that actually has blonde hair, and has caked on so much glitter hairspray that her hair is grey, and doesn't even sparkle anymore because there's so much of it, I think that's just cruel.

- Dancers should not sit in the audience while wearing their costume for a few reasons: 1) You’re distracting people from watching the dance on stage because they are too busy looking at your costume. 2) You don’t want to accidentally sit on something and get your costume dirty. 3) Why would you want to ruin the surprise by having people see you in your costume before you hit that stage? It isn’t that hard to wear sweats over your costume.

- The competition has a rule stating no food in the theatre for a reason; please respect that rule and all of the other rules that they have set into place. That includes you, parents!

- Wear costumes that represent and compliment your dance! You don’t want to be dancing to “Low” in a ballroom gown, just like you don’t want to be dancing to “Almost Lover” in jeans and a tee shirt. But you don’t want the costume to over power or take away from your dance; you have to find the right balance. Same goes for your hair; you don’t want to be doing hip hop in a bun.

- One year we went to a competition and there was a dance with 107 dancers (yes, I counted)! Ridiculous, right? There is absolutely no need to have that many dancers in a single dance. They hid their “bad dancers” in the back hoping that they wouldn’t be seen. And of course, the judges gave them a special award because they had so many performers. Does anybody else hate it when judges give out stupid awards?

- Last year, we were supposed to be sharing a dressing room with another medium sized studio. While we were dancing, they threw one girl’s jazz shoes in the trash can, hide another girl’s company jacket, and wrote “Such and such Dance Studio ONLY!” on a piece of paper and stuck it to the door all because they didn’t want to share a dressing room with us! There really wasn’t any need for that.

- Please don’t touch my flat iron, lip stick, lip gloss, hair spray, brush, etc without asking. Especially if you aren’t from my studio! If you asked me kindly to borrow it, depending on what it is, I might let you use it. But you have to ask first!

- I don’t mind so much when competitions are running late, but if they are running early, don’t you think they could take a break so that they are on schedule again?

- All of this plus what I mentioned earlier.

Despite how it may look because I have such a long list of pet peeves, I really do love competing. I think it is a great way to show off your talent, see other great dancers, met new people, and maybe get spotted by a choreographer. All of the great things make up for the bad things. But the thing that I love most about competitions is showing my love for dance and seeing other people sharing the same love. It really is a great experience!
By dncdiringa Comments: 45, member since Mon Mar 05, 2007
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 08:39 AM
As many of you, my pet peeve is to see the same exact dancers doing the same exact trick in all ten of their routines! Yes, we understand that you have one great turn that you can do but change it up!!!
By IDSgirl77 Comments: 12, member since Fri Nov 28, 2008
On Tue Feb 24, 2009 02:50 PM
i just went to a competition and what REALLY annoys me is when the awards announcer repeats himself like
outstanding costume skjfksdfjklsdjf 102
outstanding costume gjsdkfjk108

and he repeats the title of each category for each thing and if he didnt it would be like an hour shorter!
By HollydancerX Comments: 182, member since Mon Feb 23, 2009
On Sat Feb 28, 2009 04:17 PM
These are a few things that annoye me at the few competitions I have been to.

. When somebody says 1st is the best or i came second its the best and all the other people who came second shouts yay second rules. Yes we know you are pleased but umm how do people feel below you.
. When judges mark you below because they dont like your song.
. When judges dont know how old you are and think that the smallier people are extra good for their age and win.
. When you say to somebody nice costume (in a nice way.) and they say thanks but never say you too.
. When people say i bet i wouldn't win, or mine was rubbish. Yea we know your lying just to see how many people will say yes it will or no its not. Is that reallly nessary.
. When others competition people brag really loudly about what things they have done or what they have been in.

Thats it really but there lots of things I LOVE about competitions espically the atmosphere.

Love Holly xxx
By HeyRedPremium member Comments: 1567, member since Wed Jul 02, 2003
On Tue Mar 17, 2009 07:04 PM
I'm still working through all these posts and trying to repeat what everyone else has been saying, but I remembered one thing that ticked me off so much at a competition I went to a few years ago...

When I received the score sheet, a judge wrote that the music was way too loud. HOW is that my or my teacher's fault?? I don't control the volume on the stereo system! Write things that I can change - music volume is not one of them.
On Tue Mar 17, 2009 07:33 PM
Edited by bigred18 (68304) on 2009-03-17 19:52:28 wanted to add something else instead of adding a whole new post!
I also hate when you have props set somewhere, such as chairs, and you catch all these other dancers sitting on them or eating food/drinking water by them. And what's worse, if you ask them politely to move, they glare at you and/or are very cocky about it.

Also, when performers are too seductive/flirty toward the judges, or go up to the judges tables and lean on them or flaunt right to them... that's just inappropriate, and those routines should not win for it.
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Mon May 25, 2009 02:50 PM
Oh, and at a recent comp when everyone was coming onstage for awards, there was a group of girls in the front of the stage who were shaking their butts at the audience to the music! I wanted to like throw something at them! ARGHH!!
By irene40000 Comments: 109, member since Wed May 30, 2007
On Fri May 29, 2009 10:04 AM
fouette turns, the leg lift show your crotch thingy, skanky costumes, checklist choreography, creepy dances, the crimped knotted hair, black cakey makeup, flat footed turns, manic facials
By ellisims Comments: 1, member since Fri May 29, 2009
On Fri May 29, 2009 09:02 PM
-When you're in the pantomime category and on the sheet, the judges put 'sing louder'. Once, this judge put, 'Please invest in a microphone for your singer,' it was in pantomime, and she was doing her nails. -_-

-When you have the same costume as someone then they get all mean on you.

-When You compliment others and he scoff at you.

-Two words: STAGE. MOMS. My mom doesn't do anything, I do everything on my own, pretty much. xD

-When noone has good sportsmanship.

-When studios talk about you. I mean, in your hotel room at night is one thing, but in FRONT of the people? Rude.

-Girls who think they're always right, even when they're terribly off timing or do a step wrong and are convinced it's right.

-Inconsiderate dancers in dressing rooms.

-Making fun of someones dances.

-When studios have a 'signature move'.

Luckily, I have a competition tomorrow (DanceXplosion: either in Sparta, New Jersey or Vorhees, New Jersey.
On Fri May 29, 2009 09:04 PM
^^ First, I love you since you actually know what pantomime is and compete with it!!

And I get so irritated when judges for pantomime say really stupid, irrelevant things on the score sheets. It makes me want to smack them!
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Sun May 31, 2009 05:55 PM
Can I just say that I *hate* these things more than anyone I know? Alright. Let's start with trashy tricks. The leg hold turn. Congratufreakinlations. If you have that flexibility, great. If you don't, and YOU'RE DOING THE MOVE (which ya shouldn't be), I don't want to look at someone with their shin in their face but their supporting leg bent. The leg hold turn-ish thing in second (sorta pied à la main, but not technically sound): probably the ugliest trick I've ever seen. At least at all the competitions I've gone to, the only studios that train their dancers well enough to do this trick properly are the ones that understand class and lines and how to not give the audience a crotch shot and thus refrain from using it. Turns in general: if you can't do them, they shouldn't be choreographed on you. Particularly if you have a solo, just don't go for those extra turns. If you "have to" do 4, just do 3 or even 2 cleanly. I hate seeing dancers roll their feet around, bend their supporting legs, or even turn on their heels. It's atrocious.

I. HATE. FOUETTES.
Not true, actually. I hate group fouettés where everybody isn't together and where the dancers are doing them incorrectly. It's not a complicated trick, people. Some people don't bring their leg to second. Others bring it to second and then do a strange almost-attitude-derriere kind of thing to get their leg to retiré. When you start turning, believe it or not, the music continues. And, just for you, it'll usually STAYS THE SAME FREAKIN' PACE! So don't speed up or slow down! Just turn on the beat! Oh my god... I saw literally 24 fouettés where I could not see more than 3 dancers turning together.

Leaps. It's grand that you can do 5 [crappy] pirouettes into a saut de chat, but if your feet are sickled and your front leg is bent, then it's just ugly. I don't think people get it: "hard" and sloppy makes you look like a worse dancer than easier and clean.

Partnering. I get it, your studio doesn't have any boys. Having men (not boys, men) come in and partner your girls for class is great! It gives them useful experience. However, do not bring men in their 40's to your competitions to partner girls well into their 20's while the people that actually dance at your studio are in the back. The girls in this number, while offstage, were saying things like, "Wow. That's so amazing." To me, it sounded like they hadn't even seen this before. So what kind of number is this? Lord of the Dance, as it was called, had at least 60 dancers dressed in horrendously bright and offensive acid green and disgustingly loud pink. These girls did pointe, which they were utterly incapable of, then when they were offstage some of them changed into jazz shoes. They came out and did a big jazz production. Then some changed into tap shoes! Now, all the while they were dancing to highland music. The piece was about 12 minutes long. Oh, did I mention that 2 girls were the stars of it and were partnered doing the SAME lifts and turns over and over again in the beginning? The however-old-they-were men* made it look like they were lifting a ham. I almost puked. Oh yeah, somehow this was in the 13 to 15 age group even though those 2 girls were in their 20's and the men were in their... well, they were up there. They had a flock of maybe 9 year old children to even it out.

I hate when judges award points for difficulty. I also hate when people clap only for their own studio. I don't care if I'm not from a studio or if I'm not happy for the dancers because they won an award. I know that when we win things I like to hear people cheer for us, so I do the same for others.

*Also, if you happen to be one of these men, do not EVER chat me up in the dressing room. I don't want to hear you brag about how many numbers you're usually in. You're easily 20 years over the appropriate age to be doing competitions. Congratulate yourself, you got a medal. You're 40. Maybe you should try doing something with yourself instead of dancing at a competition for a little piece of plastic. Might I add this: you're a terrible partner and you make it look like the girl weighs 200 pounds. Don't put her over your head if your preparation looks like an Olympic deadlifter's.
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 03:29 PM
Wow. I have never seen men well in there 40s competing at a comp, and nor do I want to. That must just be horrendous...
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 03:30 PM
Edited by Prima_ (201011) on 2009-06-01 15:30:52 ughhh
Wow. I have never seen men well in there 40s competing at a comp, and nor do I want to. That must just be horrendous...

Oh great double post
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Mon Jun 01, 2009 07:35 PM
It's alright. I thought it was horrendous. Then I thought it was horrendous again. It's worth 2 posts.
Page:
Page 18 of 211 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch