Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 2 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions! (karma: 1)
By evaXtheXdiva Comments: 28, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:24 PM
Arghhhh... fouettes definitely bother me!

Has anyone ever been to a competition where the judges were NOT paying attention throughout the dance? I mean hardcore. I went to nationals last year and watched one of the judges throughout the entire comp. this lady would try on jewelry, do her makeup, and do everything BUT watch the dances. When I looked up her bio it said her professional experience was dancing on a Disney Cruise Ship. So when I did my solo (My solo that year was a sad modern/lyrical number called Why Does My heart Feel So Bad?)and looked at her comment sheet the ONLY thing she wrote was "You should smile bigger" so she apparently missed the ENTIRE point of the dance because she was too busy painting her nails. So WHAT was she getting paid for?

other things that have made me angry: totally age inappropriate clothing and dances, dances full of tricks, and fads. (an example of a fad would be "mitten hands":all the fingers together with the thumb out)
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By DCDancer274member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 303, member since Wed Aug 11, 2004
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 09:11 PM
Doing fouette turns in a jazz number... they belong in ballet and especially if they are done wrong in jazz and if a dance has WAY to many people in it and you can't really see what's going on, but you do see the ones who can do the tricks in front and the ones who are flubbing through it in the back.. Also when a costume does not fit the needs of the dancer... A costume has a belly shirt and not all the dancer should be wearing a belly shirt if you know what i mean.. that's just cruel and i'm sure embarrassing..

Having a studio post something on a competition guestbook saying that my studio should not have gotten the Sportsmanship Award at the very recent nationals and I know my studio deserved it. We are trained to sit up at awards ceremonies and clap for everyone and never, ever get up or walk around when a dance is going on... Obviously that person from that studio ( have no idea who it is) didn't have a clue about sportsmanship or was jealous

Sorry about my venting... I'm livid that someone would say something like that not even to someone in my studio, but in a guestbook when I know it is not true!! I hope I didn't sound cocky or anything.. that wasn't my intention if I did....
By dancerChica49 Comments: 75, member since Fri Aug 13, 2004
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:27 PM
The one thing that bugs me the most is when they have 5year old girls who have tops that barly cover there boobs and skirts so short you can see up them !!

xOx lauren
By XoX_ballerinaXoX Comments: 1, member since Sun Aug 15, 2004
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 05:46 PM
OKay... things that really bother me...

1)Shaking!!! Eww....... it is so gross especially when an 8 year old is doing it. And half the times the parents are cheering. It is really inappropriate.

2) I absolutly hate when people are taking during performances. One time these 3 kids where sitting in the third row behind me and they talked through everyones performance except for there studio and the critisized them too. RUDE!!!

And lastly, horrible stages. A couple times we have gone to competitions in hotles and we have to dance on make shift stages. Which is really horrible because every time you land it echos and stuff. The worst time was when it was tables. And during my ballet solo I landed and i made a big thump.
By BroadwayBaby2004 Comments: 75, member since Wed May 05, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:22 PM
the two things that get on my nerves are when everyone uses the same song. You always go to comp and there is that one song that is used like every couple numbers. The other thing is when little kids act older than they really are. I've seen little girls in the younger catagories doing songs and dances that don't fit there age. This is one thing my studio doesnt allow when we find our songs and choreograph our dances.
By BalletDiVa2007 Comments: 77, member since Wed Aug 18, 2004
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 03:44 PM
i can't stand stage moms!!!!! like some are ok but for example we were at Tremaines and me and my friends were sitting there do our make up so while i was putting on eyeliner this lady plws in right between us to help her 17 year old daughter w/ a quick change and bumped me in the process and messed up my eye makeup not to mention she stepped on my friends costume and ripped it. The reality was her 17 year old daughter had 10 #s in between and she was old enough to dress herself.

mandy
By Tourjete Comments: 1111, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Thu Aug 19, 2004 06:41 PM
I totally agree about STAGEMOMS! I can't stand when another mother will come in and move our teams stuff. I've had people move our costumes to hang theirs, one lady moved my daughters stuff over and put a hot iron next it. I questioned the lady and she said "oh don't worry it wont burn anything" and I look at her stuff and she had a plastic box that was all burnt up and melted.
By skatendance Comments: 413, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 01:04 AM
I guess when a dance with a significant focus on gimmicks/props versus the dance itself gets more credit than perhaps it really should get based on technique and presentation. Lassos/ribbons, taps on running shoes, etc... all neat but if it sells the dance more than the dance itself and credit is still given... just seems to be not quite right.
By Sugahdancer Comments: 35, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 05:37 AM
1. Poor judges who have no knowledge of up to date things... i went to one competetion and the judges were all old ladies in there 70s early 80s

2. Slick floors.... i love falling on my face infront of everyone and during a competetion lets the team down too...

3. Snotty girls... when i go to competetions i look forward to meeting new girls there who love to dance too... but i can't stand it when you try to be nice and they are soo rude and can't even be bothered withyou ...
By missgina207 Comments: 40, member since Tue Feb 10, 2004
On Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:41 PM
I hate seeing little kids dancing like older women! I hate when the judges barely pay any attention as if they are bored,. I know its a long day but stay awake for christ sake! I cant stand the rolling of the eyes and crude looks the snobby girls give other studios. I teach my students to respect other dancers and other studios, everyones there to have fun and do their best, why be a snob and stuck up about it, it wont change the voting any?!?

And I can not stand routines that repeat the same steps over and over again. Just because the kids do it great doesnt mean it should be the basis of the whole routine. VARIETY!!!!

~Gina
By dancing_4me Comments: 155, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Fri Aug 27, 2004 09:19 PM
Heya,

As far as I'm concerned, all of those things do get teedius(sp?) after awhile, but i mean, when you think about it, how can you be sure, that the things we're saying bug us about other people are actually happening t ourselves as well? Are you saying you don't cheer on your team mates or ever strive for movements that aren't your best? If everyone played it safe with their movements their would be no great dancers in the world. As for the little children wearing innappropriate clothing, we have to understand that it's mostly their teachers and choreographers that put them in those outfits and give them those moves to do. They children probably have no clue. And I know some people will tell me that it's their personal opinion whut they think and that this post is here to state things that bug us at competitions. Just try to think about whut I'm saying, thats all I'm asking.

Thanks for listening to me voice my opinion!

Dancing_4me
By TheAbbyTwirlsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4175, member since Mon Dec 08, 2003
On Mon Aug 30, 2004 01:52 PM
When the schedule is made and you have a 2 perofrmance with one or no song to change inbetween & when you can't understand the anouncer.

--Abby
By primaballerina76 Comments: 32, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Aug 30, 2004 09:09 PM
AHHH when people break out into fouettes for like half the dance and they aren't even done correctly!!!!
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions! (karma: 2)
By phunkydiva Comments: 16, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:32 PM
Edited by phunkydiva (97598) on 2004-09-01 13:47:39
Well, I'm a choreographer and competition cooridinator for our studio. I grew up with competitions and have now been teaching / choreographing for 13 years. My how things have changed. The dancers have gotten better, but the judges AND the judgement of choreographers have gotten much worse.

I TOTALLY agree 100% with all of you who said that you hate to see little girls bump & grind as though they were in a topless bar. The poor kids don't know any better. They're taught what to do , and they do it well. The choreographers are to blame, yes. But not as much as the parents who allow it to happen! That's what sickens me most. I've seen time & time again parents who are willing to let their child do whatever it takes to WIN! When did it become about the winning and no longer about being a part of a team, or sportsmanship, and most importantly, the passion to dance and perform. Bottom line, that's what it's about. Or should be anyway. But then I take it one step further and say, the upmost blame must be put on the judges and the competition owners for allowing this to happen year after year by not disqualifying numbers like that. We recently were at a competition that was so "dirty" that parents from my studio were leaving the auditorium with their young children because they didn't want them to see the filthy moves. It's rediculous!

Another thing I absolutely HATE is to see choreographers "smoozhing" with the judges. That really gets me going. And it happens all the time. I was at a convention / compeition last year and after the competiton some of us went to a pub and when we walked in we saw 3 of the judges having dinner and drinks with the top scoring studio owner! Nice, huh?

Anyway girls (and guys), keep this in mind. All competitions have something wrong with them or something that we don't like or agree with. But the only thing that matters is that you enjoy what you're doing. Don't forget why YOU'RE there. And that is to be a part of a team, or to better season yourself as a performer, whatever it may be. Winning every award will NOT get you into a dance company later in life. Or on Broadway. Or in videos. You're training is most important. Keep your eyes open looking to your future as a dancer. Theres more than competiton! Best of luck to you all! Maird.
Competition bothers
By southerngurl Comments: 104, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Wed Sep 01, 2004 04:58 PM
A routine with too many posey tricks.....
I think a good routine should flow. It shouldn't be filled with lots of tricks that don't match the lyrics.
By Dancing_Gymnast Comments: 67, member since Sun Feb 29, 2004
On Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:27 AM
Edited by Dancing_Gymnast (85840) on 2004-09-05 00:26:33
i hate it when ppl have all those slutty dances where their bras are all hanging out and all they do is air hump. its so dump it just shows they cant actully dance.
oo i have one
By emiethedancer Comments: 607, member since Tue Aug 24, 2004
On Fri Sep 10, 2004 04:54 PM
what drives me batty about comp routines is that there is hardly any choreography involved. Teams just bust out technique after technique. It looks really choppy
By mojitodancer0206 Comments: 60, member since Sun May 09, 2004
On Sun Sep 12, 2004 01:16 PM
One thing that really bothers me at some competions is when dances just really look bad and its not even bad chorgraphy. The dancers arnt together at all, dont know the dance, have no energy!! i know my teachers wouldnt even put us in to competion if we looked like that!...i wouldnt want to be in competion if we looked like that! I knoe that they're there to have fun but part of that is excelling and getting good marks.
-shelby
By mel_grlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat Aug 30, 2003
On Fri Sep 17, 2004 06:31 PM
1) When people take my hanger to put their costume on, but it's really mine and i'm left without a hanger!!! (lol, it really bugs me)

2) When i congradulate someone on how well they did and they don't say anything or even look at you.

3) stupid stages, or stages that are too small.

4) mothers that think they need to be backstage when they are just getting in the way.
By Kandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Fri Apr 19, 2002
On Fri Sep 17, 2004 08:33 PM
I don't like that they always have Tap as a category BUT they never take into consideration that a floor that is good for Jazz, Ballet, Lyrical, ect is the pits for tap!!!! Maybe they could think about having the tap entries on a different day and using the wood floor that they covered for the tap and then the awards. Just a thought!!!! Ya know they charge the same for tap it would be nice if you could hear what the tapers sounded like!
By american_dancer Comments: 164, member since Wed Dec 31, 2003
On Sat Sep 18, 2004 03:46 PM
Edited by american_dancer (80889) on 2004-09-18 15:44:14
I absolutly HATE over used songs!!! I can not stand over used songs. Like "My Immortal" I swear if I hear that song again...
I also don't like dances where they are really together really strong, but have NO technique AT ALL!!!! I was watching a dance and they were together, but they had NO technique! It was a pointe routine and they went up on bent legs everywhere! And these people were like 15 and 16! You think they would get it by now. Oh, well!!

luv ya tunz
By NutbushShortie04 Comments: 57, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:58 AM
I have 3 major pet peeves at competitions:
1. When the same song is used over and over!
2. When a move is not done properly
3. When legs are supposed to be straight but they are bent!
By jazz_princess Comments: 555, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 02:10 PM
I have 3 major pet peeves at competitions:
*When they don't point their toes!!!! This one really gets me
* and when little girls try to act mature for thier dance. Thier dances are supposed to be cute not like bar dancing!

Nicole
By dancemom5678 Comments: 143, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Tue Sep 28, 2004 01:39 PM
The worst is probably seeing so many fouettes or pump turns over and over again, and when they aren't done correctly. Something else that annoys me to no end is when a dance consists of tricks, like doing a heel stretch and letting go, or a scorpion, etc. It's fine if it's done maybe once in a dance or even twice, but when you just do tricks over and over again for half the dance then the other half is turns, that just gets real old real fast. And cheerleading facials can be cute, but when overdone (looking like a bobblehead, pouting, sticking your tongue out, etc) it just looks.. stupid.. or kinda trashy. Keep it cute, not trashy. And as a mom myself, I think that no mom should stay backstage the entire time.. it's wayyy too crowded to keep moms backstage the entire time. If your daughter is young and/or needs help getting changed, that's one thing. But anyways, sorry to ramble on :)
They Drive Me Crazy.....
By Dancer5678910 Comments: 15, member since Wed Aug 18, 2004
On Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:56 PM
I love competition. but there are a few things that drive me nuts! Like young girls ( like 5 to 7) doing dirty stuff to dirty songs. thats not even cool when older girls do it. When studios glare at eachother or are rude right in front of eachother. Tension sucks. And when You compliment people and they look at you and walk right past you. I CANT STAND THAT.
Page:
Page 2 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch