Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 20 of 211 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By trenz_808 Comments: 49, member since Sat Jan 31, 2004
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 PM

Forget competitions and convention/competitions! Check out AwkwardSunday.com a new NON-PROFIT dance intensive that is all about the experience!
By SaraDancer4Ev Comments: 25, member since Mon Nov 15, 2010
On Mon Nov 29, 2010 05:07 PM
Some things that bother me are:

When the parents come behind-stage & in the dressing room- One time a girls mom came in and started putting orange glitter on her daughters eyes because that's what she said she wanted her daughter to wear. Its actually not her decision!

Another thing is when another school is like, plotting against you!- Last year, our somewhat 'Rival' school, came into our dressing room & stole our hairspray, & makeup! THATS crossing the line!

When the judges judge by School- Like say there was a school called, HappyTown Dance School that was a popular school & had alot of money, then there was a school called Sadville Dance School thats was local and was a small school, and the judges would choose HappyTown!

When the judges don't pay attention- One time during my Best friends solo, one of the judges was texting through out the WHOLE PERFROMANCE!!!! :?

THATS JUST A FEW!!!

*~Dont stop Dancing~*
By Sundance60 Comments: 6, member since Mon Dec 27, 2010
On Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:02 AM
Seeing poor sportsmanship really bothers me. To really be a "winner" you need the whole package and that includes winning and losing graciously and respecting others. A few parents out there set poor examples at competitions themselves. It is terribly upsetting to see a parent criticize their child in anyway after a performance but it happens and that is horrible to witness. We haven't had costumes or make-up stolen as others described here but that is beyond low and is the work of someone with very low confidence in their abilities and a person with no moral compass. Competition is a whole lot more fun and rewarding for all involved, if you are a kind person, play fair, and work hard to make your dreams come true!
By luvdance97 Comments: 10, member since Wed Jan 14, 2009
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 AM
Like everyone has said, poor sportsmanship. There is this studio in our city that is our "rival" studio. Some of the girls from both studios go to the same school and the other girls will sing songs about how bad, ugly, etc. that we are and call us names.. We're pretty much on an equal level.

Also, I hate it at competitions where the SO takes a documentary on some disease, adds an instrumental track to it, and choreographs a dance. I just think it's stupid.. No offense to the dancers though, because usually the dancers in these dances are amazing!

One more thing, when a studio has a long chant that they do after every award given to them. If any of you all have been to a competition with StudioBoomboxx, they used to shout "Boomboxx!" after they won something. It was okay because it was short and sweet. But, last year, the same studio that I was talking about earlier shouted "HOOHOOHOOHOO Big T What? What?" after eeeeevery award. It was a big competition, so they had a lot of dances, too.
By Rachel_n Comments: 103, member since Thu May 27, 2010
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 03:16 PM
Just a few of the things that I can't stand!!
When the teacher is late!!!
When they have the dressing room at 20 degrees below zero
Little girls in slutty outfits
When the whole thing runs 5 hours late and you're there until 1 AM
When someone forgets part of the dance and you almost run into them on stage
By arwen123 Comments: 43, member since Mon Jul 13, 2009
On Tue Feb 22, 2011 07:11 PM
I have also seen things that little girls do that blow my mind if their 5 they should do 5 year old things not be doing things that a 13 year old (me) would never want to do on stage or anywhere
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 515, member since Wed Jun 23, 2010
On Thu Mar 31, 2011 08:23 PM
1. When there is a girl trying to win title who is extremely snooty
2. When there is another studio who are the only people standing up dancing during awards, being obnoxious
3. A studio that has a little cheer and yells it constantly throughout awards (Like if the studio is called California Dance they'd scream CD! CD! CD!) (And if there really is a California Dance, I apologize!)
4. When someone thinks it was their number that was called, so they jump up and scream, only to find out they weren't really listening and the award wasn't actually for them!!
5. When the announcer is extremely cheesey
6. When you are warming up and other studio's dancers eye you up like they are a grizzly bear and you're the measly little fish
7. When you get your video with the judges comments back and all they do is say something like "Nice turn" and remain silent the rest of the time! I mean, we paid for criticism!
By hartballet Comments: 20, member since Sat Mar 12, 2011
On Mon May 23, 2011 06:58 PM
when the adjudicators talk about themselfs for like 10 minutes stuff like " I notice this, and this is what I used to do, and I like it when." its nice you get a few tips.... but 10 minutes... argg I mean you`re getting the sheet why say everything ..... although maybe im just impatient
By Mariss1 Comments: 8, member since Sat Jul 02, 2011
On Sat Jul 02, 2011 05:26 PM
I totally agree with the 'too many turn combinations'! I really dont like the dirty moves and two piece outfits. no offence to anyone who wears them, but some are just a little... iffy. I also don't like dancers that try things that they obviously can't do. :)
By northern_mom Comments: 4, member since Sun Jul 10, 2011
On Sun Jul 10, 2011 06:23 PM
What drives me crazy is also rudeness from others in the audience. I was at one competition and the dance instructor was talking about another dance company. I think that is unacceptable.

I also think it is rude for a troupe to put down other studios. Sure it is fine to be competitive but what is really important is to learn good sportsmanship.

What I wonder if for the competitions that many of you have gone to, what is the rules for audience manners. I think it is fine to applause after a dancer or group has finished, but to scream and shout and go on. Is that an acceptable practice? What about dancers running in and out of the competition during the sessions that are quite full?

Overall, generally I love competition. When another studio does well I clap for them for a job well done.
By PMDDancer89 Comments: 23, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Mon Sep 05, 2011 08:57 PM
Poor technique/choreography, excessive screaming, rude students are my top three pet peeves.
By jen11292 Comments: 20, member since Thu Sep 01, 2011
On Tue Sep 06, 2011 07:35 PM
A general thing that drives me crazy at competitions is the repetitiveness of tricks. Yes the dancers are great at them but the whole dance shouldn't be tricks. Lack of creativity in choreography too. All the jazz dances have the same tricks and steps.
By livihdancer Comments: 2, member since Sun Oct 02, 2011
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 09:39 AM
when people yell "ow ow!" it's really annoying! and when people arent greatful. you just got a hi gold quit complaining!
By SKdancemom Comments: 76, member since Fri Dec 02, 2011
On Tue Feb 14, 2012 06:21 PM
These are great! I'm a dance momma & only been to a handful of competitions but I can already agree with so many of these posts. My pet peeve is when parents drop their kids off without their hair & makeup done and expect the other parents or older dancers to do it for them! If you can't do it - learn or make arrangements with someone to help before the event.
By iDanceProduction Comments: 9, member since Thu Apr 26, 2012
On Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:21 PM
That is true if they are the SAME ppl but it isnt fair to take away the joy of performing on stage just because the child happens to go to a large studio that has many dances. In that case there may be TONS of dances in the same category from one studio (but performed by different girls). I agree though if it is the same kids!
By Dancer395 Comments: 50, member since Sun May 29, 2011
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 03:48 PM
It annoys me when people have really big props that they don't use a lot. When props are used correctly they can make the dance remarkable, but if they are not necessary I feel like the prop should be left out.

I really dislike seeing people dismiss their awards. I've seen people leave their awards onstage after awards, rip up ribbons, and wear pajamas onstage rather than team jackets. If you aren't going to respect the competition, you can at least show respect for your team.

When people stand really close to the edge of the stage it is awkward to try to get past them. I have had to literally push my way through people to get onstage in time. I makes me feel rude and decreases my respect for them.
By DEAdancestars Comments: 1, member since Tue Feb 07, 2012
On Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 PM
Here are some of mine!!

-Sorry for all of those who hate the skimpy costumes and booty shaking etc., but what really bugs me is when people complain about other studios costumes or routines. Like as long as they are not dressed in underwear and thier chest is falling out, I find it completely acceptable to wear say short and a sports bra with some glitter. Also, I don't have a problem with booty shaking and shimmying as long as they are of a younger age.
-When people get mad at our studio for wanting our own dressing room. It's not like we go around announcing to everyone that we refuse to share a dressing room. We just quietly try to find and empty room or area, but if someone else comes near, it's not like were going to kick them out!
-This one is my absolute PET PEEVE. When moms or other dance coaches in the audience talk about other routines. One time, we had a huge production of Alice in Wonderland with tons of props and expensive costumes and we won 1st overall. I was sitting in the audience watching some other routines, and a mother in front of me and my friends started saying how we had no technique, and only won because of our props, which bieng ALice, really hurt my feelings.
-When peopl are picky and complain about everythin and make fun of everything. Like seriously you are at a competition. You should be perpared for snotty people, sports bras, music not working, etc.
By ug7catherine Comments: 27, member since Tue Feb 21, 2012
On Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 PM
. When people in the audience sit down or get up and leave during a performance.

. When little kids routines are not age appropriate or they dress in appropriate.

. When other studio teachers/owners talk up their studio to my students.

. When the same studio always wins everything. FAVORITISM.

. When the same studio has so many routines in one category, everyone else has to wait for them to change.

. When the judges give stupid / useless comments and nothing constructive when the routine was not given a very high score.
By Colleenabeenamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 42, member since Thu Nov 18, 2010
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 PM
I absolutely HATE it when people are rude backstage. I don't care if I'm competing against you, but you can have the courtesy to let me past when I'm about to dance, or if I have a backstage run around during a dance.
By BalletPrincess98 Comments: 18, member since Sat Jun 05, 2010
On Fri Jun 22, 2012 03:05 AM
1. when little kids do a slutty routine, wearing suggestive outfits
2. when studios enter like, 10 dances in the one catagory and they all look exactly the same!
3. that one studio who always wins EVERY SINGLE THING (i know its really really rude, and they are usually great dancers, but they are soo annoying!)

when soloists put in ridiculous amounts of tricks that don't suit the dance, they are jusrt doing them to show off! :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 09:35 PM
Also, I don't have a problem with booty shaking and shimmying as long as they are of a younger age.

And I don't think little kids need to be sexualized for no apparent reason what so ever. We're all allowed to have opinions.
By camymac_dancer Comments: 96, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Sun Jul 01, 2012 05:47 PM
I totally agree with the fouettes. I also can't stand when girls come in wearing their costume!!! It makes it more likely to be ripped and/or stained. This applies to recitals for me, too. I also don't like when there's choreography that's too advanced for a girl, or vice-versa.
By caitydancerr Comments: 180, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 09:56 PM
Edited by caitydancerr (242920) on 2012-07-03 22:03:50
Rude audience members.

When dancers kick their legs up like 10 times in one solo. Yes, we all know that you're flexible and have strong legs. Now do something else or vary the kicks or something...!

Jealous dance moms (not the show) backstage/in the dressing rooms that give dirty looks to the competitors or act like their dancer is the absolute best dancer ever.
By kashmirjayPremium member Comments: 287, member since Tue Mar 01, 2011
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 09:40 PM
I need to get in on some of this action, if only for venting purposes ;) the following come from both my experience as a competitive dancer and now a teacher.

My pet peeves...

- Dancers who outright put down other studios, regardless of skill level or personal relationships. One of our dancers was called "Stupid" for dancing at our school by a student from the other school in town. I understand it's good to have a healthy amount of competition, but these kids are obviously learning that attitude from somewhere. Where are the parents (and dance teachers!) to teach them humility and respect?!

- Many have said it already - stuck up dancers who don't respond when you wish them "good luck" or tell them "good job."

- Studios who have not only rude kids, but also rude personnel. At competition this year, we were backstage as we were up in 2 numbers. A woman from the studio who was performing next had a buttload of props (chairs and tables) and apparently couldn't locate one. They approached my helper who was holding our chairs, made to grab one out of her hands and said, "We need this." My helper was, of course, caught of guard and said, "Well we're on next..." She didn't even have a chance to finish her sentence before this woman made a big huff and said, "FINE. Nevermind." Then went back to where her group was standing and said, 'UGH. She won't let us use her chairs!!" Uhm, HELLO. This is a COMPETITION. Shouldn't you have come PREPARED? We are on next, and seeing all of your various props doesn't make us too confident that we will get our borrowed chair back on time for our performance.

- Agreed about tricks, turns and kicks. BO-RING.

- It drives me nuts when the competitions pack too many dancers into a small change area and everyone is on top of each other.

- Also hate awards that go on forever. More frequent adjudications are a blessing!

- Studios screaming during a dance give me the eye-twitchies. SHUT UP!!! YOU ARE DISTRACTING!!!!!

- I can't really say a whole lot more that hasn't already been covered here! If I think of anything I will be back. Thanks for letting me vent!! PHEW :)
By Platinum_Starr Comments: 29, member since Sun Dec 02, 2012
On Sun Dec 30, 2012 05:14 PM
Ahhhhhhh! When one studio uses the same choreography over again and again in every dance! I had this problem at my old studio...in every single dance, they had a chasse ball change, chasse ball change, roll the head, double pirouette and straddle to the ground This was put in EVERY SINGLE DANCE. Lucky for me I transferred studios that year.
I also hate it when some studios win with bad choreography. I saw this one dance where everyone was gorgeously in sync, had energy, smiles on their faces. But they had absolutely no idea what pointed feet, turn out, or straight leaps were, and the whole dance consisted of waving their arms around! It won second overall at StarQuest...I was very surprised. Yes, they were in sync, had energy, and faces, BUT...the choreography! The technique!
Page:
Page 20 of 211 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch