Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 21 of 211 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By audiartofdance Comments: 24, member since Wed Dec 26, 2012
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 04:30 AM
My favorite is the one legged dancers. Right leg turns, right leg leaps, right leg kicks... Where's the left leg? I've seen amazing studios with their amazing dancers, but they don't teach anything on the left...
By ooglybooglymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 67, member since Fri Jun 24, 2011
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 AM
Edited by ooglyboogly (237401) on 2013-01-31 11:48:39
I've only been dancing for about two years but I've been to enough competitions to know what bothers me.
Technique thats way above their level, A la seconde turns, leaps, etc..
When people put something like an echappe or a jete in a jazz/contemporary dance and they completely forget their ballet and do it turned in or parallel.
Bad sportsmanship, when I say "Good luck!" and they look at me like I'm crazy.
At nationals last year my friend was basically pushed down the stairs by some girl trying to get on stage.
When competitions try to be "fun" and make everybody dance during awards to kill time, theres always some girl who pushes everyone to get to the front and starts dancing like its going to up her score or something.
By Iseeyourpointe Comments: 11, member since Mon Feb 18, 2013
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 06:04 PM
I agree with everything previously posted. Those overly competitive and snotty studios always drive me crazy. However, I come from a larger studio where we have many numbers in many different categories. I agree that entering multiple numbers into a category to win is wrong, but that's the only way we can get all of the dancers who want to be on our competition teams to be able to compete. We can't just turn away dancers,and not let them compete, for the sake of smaller studios.
By Flmomofsix Comments: 2, member since Tue Feb 26, 2013
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 03:25 PM
I agree and hate the one sides stuff... Turns in one direction and kicks with only one leg. Reading so many of your posts, you may want to check out the new comp StarzDanceCompetitions.com. It's an online comp, so saves tons of $$, and time (I'd like to spend time with the rest of my kids on the weekends too). You can enter as studio or independent. I took the leap (of trying out a new thing) and entered my daughter as independent. We got comment sheets (that were right on the money) and awards quickly. I just like it since it saved me time and money and I didn't have to miss time away from my other kids. Again though, I hate that routines are packed with fouettes and tricks, but little dance in between
By newdancingmom Comments: 176, member since Sun Apr 23, 2006
On Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:08 AM
I really dislike audiences that are loud and obnoxious. I get the "supporting your teammates" and stuff but to yell, scream, and whistle through-out the performance is disruptive and rude to the dancers and the audience who want to watch the performances. This same school also came into the theatre with about 20 supporters just before their team went on-stage and then promptly left when their team had finished. Not cool. I felt sorry for the other dancers competing against them.
By impactdancer01 Comments: 8, member since Sun May 26, 2013
On Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 PM
Definitely when over half the dance has like 5 dancers doing a la secondes or fouettes in the front while everyone in the back is doing some other bad choreography. People think that the turns will distract from the lack of skill of the dancers, in my opinion.
By BrookeDancer13 Comments: 7, member since Wed Mar 26, 2014
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:04 AM
The thing that annoys me a lot is when in every dance there has to be a turn section (fouette, alescones)lasting for too long! And entering too many dancers in each category! Also, putting a bit of acro in everything and not proper jazz, more hip-hop!
By BrookeDancer13 Comments: 7, member since Wed Mar 26, 2014
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:05 AM
The thing that annoys me a lot is when in every dance there has to be a turn section (fouette, alescones)lasting for too long! And entering too many dancers in each category! Also, putting a bit of acro in everything and not proper jazz, more hip-hop!
By mishakiss Comments: 20, member since Fri Jun 14, 2013
On Wed Apr 02, 2014 04:10 AM
-Judges who don't know anything about the style of dance!
Last weekend I was at a national competition and during the jazz and contemporary category the judges were a Latin dancer, a ballet dancer and another one whom I didn't know.

-People talking rudely about other studios.
At the same competition, I and another girl from my group were the only ones to wait for the awards since it was another 5 hours until then and we were sitting in the audience during the 16 and over category. A girl from our studio asked us to record her group's dance and at some point I heard someone in the row behind me say "Look at the fat girl in the back". It was really horrible to hear. That team is made of adults, ages 20-25 who started dancing only about 3-4 years ago but they're crazy good. They won their category and they were invited on my country's version of Dancing with the stars but some people truly only care about appearence.

During awards, the stage was crowded since all age groups received their awards at the same time and me and my friend were standing very close to another group who had many dances that we'd seen. So my friend said to them "We watched your dances and you were really good". And those kids who were probably 12-14 years old just turned to us, looked us over, and turned right
back.

That same group of people, again during awards, were standing right in front of us. And our studio has two jazz teams, I'm on the big one and there was only one girl who stayed for awards from the litttle girls's team. She is five and generally shy and it was her first competition. So when her group won 3rd place, we had topractically push those girls in front of us because they wouldn't let that little kid pass through

Comment #10183199 deleted

Comment #10183780 deleted

Page:
Page 21 of 211 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch