Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 3 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 17 18 19 20 21
things that drive me crazy a competitions!
By TwinkleToesDSD Comments: 1, member since Tue Sep 28, 2004
On Wed Oct 06, 2004 07:28 AM
One thing that drivs me crazy at competitions, is when the judging is not fair and a studio does not get as much as they desserve just because there so much better then everbody else, and they dont want to give everything to that studio because of MONEY!!!!
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By Sarahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3890, member since Tue Apr 09, 2002
On Sun Oct 10, 2004 06:59 PM
MITTEN HANDS!! ahhhhh they drive me nuts! I think they look really bad... a friend of mine uses them ALL THE TIME and just doesn't relax those hands, what's up with the mitten hands?

over-used songs, waaaaay too many fouettes for no reason, too many tricks in a dance just to show off, when little girls dance slutty, when dancers smile big in a sad song, no emotion, no passion, the big open-mouth-wink-thing!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:23 PM
Haahaa...mitten hands. I never knew it had a name. :)

Those drive me insane too. Like my friend Stan always says "thumbs are fingers too. When I say put your fingers together, I mean your thumbs too!"

:D

T
By BurgundayBell47member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1212, member since Fri Jul 11, 2003
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:13 PM
I third the mitten hands!!! I mean, I have thumb sticking out issues sometimes, we like to call them diet coke hands because im addicted to diet coke and it looks like i have a diet coke can in my hand, but I just take my tension out in my thumbs sometimes, the rest of my hand is balletic, lol ;) The mitten hands is like a competition fad.....I hope it wears out someday ;) its not too perdy :P
Lizi
By angels_n_ashesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 213, member since Sun Jun 13, 2004
On Fri Oct 15, 2004 06:38 PM
I hate it when studios have only one fouette combo, and they use it in EVERY SINGLE DANCE! So where's the creativity?? Yeah maybe everyone has that one combo down pat, but come on! It's pretty obvious and gets boring to watch. BE CREATIVE!

Jay
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions! (karma: 1)
By BeccaBecca Comments: 105, member since Tue Oct 12, 2004
On Fri Oct 15, 2004 09:30 PM
O gosh, speaking of the little kids acting like professional prostitutes.....I even shudder when adults do that. But I was in the audience, waiting for my sisters jazz group to come on, and the dance before them.....omg. It was so awkward for everyone watching, and the adjudicator. Girls 13 and 14 danced to "My ass is like woah." No parts taken out. On the lyric "my sex is like woah" They slid their hands down their thighs. It was horrible!!! They were amazing dancers, until the ruined the preformance by bending over and petting themselves! I was absolutely disgusted!!!
By lcm1123 Comments: 1, member since Tue Oct 19, 2004
On Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:36 AM
Some things that drive me crazy about the whole competition thing is the rivalry. I mean I understand that we are all fighting for first place but sometimes girls can get out of hand and then the whole love of the sport is lost
By MystiqueEnt Comments: 28, member since Tue Sep 14, 2004
On Thu Oct 21, 2004 03:13 AM
Removed by glitterfairy (42646) on 2005-03-09 20:11:14 star farming not permitted.
hi
Things that both me
By vipdancer03 Comments: 25, member since Thu Sep 16, 2004
On Thu Oct 21, 2004 03:22 PM
1.) slippery stages aren't very fun, but they are managable
2.) hearing the same song used over and over again is miserable
3.) having to watch a tap routine with quads (or more), fourettes or any other type of turn. yes thank you you're turning on metal of course you can pull off 5 rotations, but it is tap, let me hear you tap please!
4.) over done production numbers. yes I've seen some cute ones like toy story or butterfly kisses, but when you bring in a tumble track to line the back of the stage for a 7 min. long acro production, please stop and register for a gymnastics competition not a dance competition
crying
By Iltf91 Comments: 145, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Sun Oct 24, 2004 04:17 PM
crying crying CRYING GRRRR .... it is fun dont cry

that bugs me yes it dose
Thanx
By JCBDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 63, member since Thu Oct 28, 2004
On Thu Oct 28, 2004 07:05 AM
I don't mind fouettes, i actually really like them, but i hate when dances have moves that the dancers can't actually do, so they attempt it and look really bad. it's also messed when little kids do inappropriate moves.
By hot_blondedancer Comments: 5, member since Thu Oct 28, 2004
On Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:21 AM
It makes you really nervous when you are waiting for the trophies to be given out. The anticipation is horroble! But once you win you feel great!!! I also hate doing turns in competition but once you land the triple, it is all down hill from there but you feel great!!!
By BeautifulLetDown Comments: 1686, member since Wed Oct 27, 2004
On Fri Oct 29, 2004 03:01 AM
It absolutely bothers me when there's a number with a guy in it and the ajudicator says "It's so nice to see a guy dancing!"...um so what are we? Chop liver?

Over used songs...last year "My Immortal", "Toxic", "Me Against the music", and "bring me to life" were *SO* overused...it was number after number that they had the same song...ugh

Ajudicators who can't pronouce terms right...example: Fouettes become fortes...

Well-known studios have bigger dressing rooms and we're left with no room at all...I'm sorry but it's really annoying when you're running to the change room to do a quick change and there's no room and there's always someone in the way
stage moms
By dancez5678 Comments: 24, member since Tue Oct 19, 2004
On Fri Oct 29, 2004 02:55 PM
Stage moms living through their daughters and yelling a snapping at them all the time. Then the girl snaps back, it's just a bad scene.
By Ishkabiblelymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 832, member since Sat Oct 23, 2004
On Thu Nov 04, 2004 07:24 PM
I think its good that dances include things beyond the level of the dancer a little, because it gives the dancer a chance to work on something they might not have mastered yet.

What does bug me are: Inappropriate dances by young kids. Its NOT cute, its disturbing!!!
Announcers who talk too much, and interview the dancers when you can tell they dont care what they say.
worst of all: Competitions that give golds to EVERY dance! This is stupid, the point fo competitions is to COMPETE, and if people are sore loosers they shouldnt be competing. I know my company isnt very good, and our dances should be getting bronzes or lower, yet we always get golds. it makes them loose their value, and we have no idea how we really did.
By Dancehoney08 Comments: 40, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 06:03 AM
One thing that drives me nuts is when the parents of the kids from another studio, will talk all through their opponents dances and be so extremely rude!!!! Its so immature!
By samantha_coles Comments: 1463, member since Sun Nov 07, 2004
On Mon Nov 08, 2004 09:42 AM
ummmm .... :)
By twinkle_toes_3d Comments: 415, member since Thu Aug 26, 2004
On Thu Nov 11, 2004 09:59 PM
i hate it when girls that are like 7 dress all ghetto and act twice their age. it is discusting!
By DIdancer Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Fri Nov 12, 2004 08:59 PM
you guys said it all!!
By TwirlingGirl09 Comments: 95, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Sat Nov 13, 2004 04:13 PM
Guys who just go to stare at you ,,, ugly ones!!!... mainly!!
By AKA_SEAN Comments: 64, member since Sat Jul 24, 2004
On Wed Nov 17, 2004 09:47 PM
I cant stand all the little happy girls that talk 100 miles an hour leave that to cheerleaders. We are dancers we are stuck up and very classy we dont have time to talk we need to be thinking about our projection because everyone notices the team that walkes in and when there coah turns puts his/her bag down and every girl does excl. the same that is very very nice projection but I would not want to be with the team that comes in and gets in a circle and talks and looks supid!
By qtdancer139member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 902, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Mon Nov 22, 2004 08:57 PM
I hate it when..

1.the judges aren't qualified to judge, or when your score sheets are written in pencil instead of pen...we had eraser marks once, and it looks REALLY shady.
2. When one studio enters 20 million dances in the same category and make up 3/4ths of the competition and each dance looks the same.
3. Skimpy costumes on little girls and older girls..eww..
4. A dance made up of trick after trick..it gets old
5. People who try to do things wayyyyyy above their level...you're supposed to showcase things that you're good at.
6. I hate rivals and snotty people.
haha I think thats it..Competition is suppposed to be fun. And you should not have to enter 15 dances in one category in order to win. 1 or 2 tries should be enough. We need to remember that these awards won't be important when going into the professional dance world.
Maile
Grrr...
By Efil4srepotswohs Comments: 179, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Nov 22, 2004 09:53 PM
i HATE when people ball change before they go into romverse(or how ever you spell it) idk, but it looks wayy to competeative, and i DISPISE it! i MAKE my teachers shanee into them...
Mitten Hands
By IsntLifeJuicymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 299, member since Tue Nov 23, 2004
On Tue Nov 23, 2004 06:21 PM
About the Mitten Hands:

That's awesome that someone mentioned that. In my tap number, our teacher made us do those, only she called them barbie hands. I hated doing those hands...I thought they looked stupid.

Also...

I hate it when those little girls do those moves...and then they win! I wouldn't mind as much if they were disqualified or had a lot of points taken away...but they always win!
By xxbunheadxx Comments: 121, member since Sat Nov 22, 2003
On Fri Nov 26, 2004 09:52 AM
Things I hate

1) Overused songs...at one competition there was 3 "My Immortals" in a row
2) At one comeptition we were in the middle of a number and the judge was on her cell phone...which I'm sorry but that's so bs...how can u judge if ur on ur cell phone?? Also w/ the judging...I like when they have one person putting comments on a casette...it's really helpful..especially knowing they watched the whole thing and were not looking down writing comments
3) Bad setups...one comeptition...the first day they didn't have room to do the full floor so the dressing room was really small and the stage, well they had seats for people on the floor and there were mirrors all around..so hard for spotting...i mean it was a day for solos and duets/trios mainly, but still we need our space!!!!
Page:
Page 3 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch