Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 4 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By Angelmum Comments: 688, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:48 PM
Things I hate about competitions:
1 - Repeat songs - over and over and over. In one duo class four of the five duos had the same song!!!
2 - Mothers discussing placings before the class, too cocky!!
3 - Little girls, everyone's said it for me
4 - Giving placings in classes when there's only one competitor and they weren't that good!
5 - Poor reports from judges, nothing to say what could improve your dance, you know some helpful hints maybe?
6 - I have more but there's not enough space, finally, poor losers who cry and throw tantrums (and that's their mothers!)
By toosweet4umember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 202, member since Mon Nov 15, 2004
On Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:01 PM
yes, fouettes deffiniatly look bad if they are not done right its ok to have like 3 or 4 girls do them that are the best but they have to be perfectly togeter or it looks horrible so its really hard to look good.
another thing that really annoys me is when a group is competeing a jazz piece and then they go and put all gymnastics and flips and stuff like that in its like ok this is jazz if you want to go do that then go join a gymnastics team!
By danceizlife14 Comments: 135, member since Sun Nov 28, 2004
On Sun Dec 05, 2004 07:48 PM
i have a HUGE pet peeve, but first i wanna reply to eva the divas post...whats wrong with fads? isnt that what dance is all about? if it werent for fads, we'd all still be doin the charleston!! im just prolly defending myself because my studio is a "mitten handed" studio lol i guess u could say...

so anywho back to my peeve - DANCE MOMS. Im really surprised nobodys mentioned these yet! seriously i cant stand them!!! they are everywhere, its like a friggin plague! mom are in the dressing rooms, pampering their daughters like theres no tomorrow, in the audience cheering at the top of their lungs...theyre always in the way!! im sorry but it seems to me like theyre trying to live their life thru their daughters...my mom understands that i love to dance and totally supports me, but she always says "its your thing Emilee, not mine." Which is EXACTLY how i want it to be!! i would hate it if my mom were around me all the time, trying to hairspray my hair so it wont move for a week!! :) i get a little heated when it comes to topics like this lol
By cherisoda27 Comments: 25, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:07 AM
What really drives me crazy is when you go to a competition and every other dance has about a million fouettes . . .especially if people can't do them right. I mean . . it IS possible to have a great dance WITHOUT breaking into a fouette section for like 30 minutes! It really drives me nuts when it's like this beautiful dance to like a slow, emotional song and then all the dancers all of a sudden start doing fouettes and it doesnt even go with the dance or the music! AaAaAaAhHhHhH!!!
By lyricalgirl87 Comments: 698, member since Thu Jul 15, 2004
On Sun Dec 12, 2004 03:35 PM
i hate it when people scream and clap nonstop during lyrical, it takes all the emotion away!
By miss_kate Comments: 285, member since Thu Aug 12, 2004
On Sun Dec 12, 2004 05:16 PM
at our local comps, there are a few schools which ALWAYS use exactly the same choreogaphy to the exact same type of music for ALL their students, but in different combinations. can't the parents who go to these schools see that other students are doing the same dances as their own children, but to different music, in a different costume, in a slightly different order? HELLO!!!
By Dancintootsie12 Comments: 131, member since Sat Sep 04, 2004
On Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:44 PM
slippery stages!!!!!!! one year we had taken a large group pointe nuber with alot of girls and some guys and we did lifts.. evertime i would try to push of to jump into the guys's arms i would slip! we tried rosin but everyone just kept slipping! it was actally kind of funny! lol i hope the judges never take off for that kind of stuff!!!!
By linniex0 Comments: 20, member since Sat Nov 27, 2004
On Sat Dec 18, 2004 07:42 PM
if anyone goes to cheer/dance competitions... today i did, we got first... but there were some sucky things...

we had to perform on a sprung floor, which was good for some jump and stuff. but most sucked, we had to push back when sitting on the floor and our pants almost fell off...

also, the way the people in the stands just stare at you with no emotion... like, we respect their cheerleaders when they cheer (clapping, etc) but they just stare at us? out of like 10 cheerleading groups 2 congratulated us... while the others only stared... yep, sucked.
By MissMelly108member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 108, member since Sun Dec 05, 2004
On Sat Dec 18, 2004 08:51 PM
Oh my God. i cannot stand when other studios are rude to you for no reason. But if they are, its always fun to score higher than they do. I also hate it when someone gets onstage to do a solo, and the rest of the studio screams random things for like a minute. It's so annoying to want to watch the person dance when there are people going "YEAH JACK WOOOO H YOU GO!!!!!! STUDIO SUCH AND SUCH ALL THE WAYYY KNOCK EM DEAD!!" Drives me insane.
By lightmycandle Comments: 27, member since Fri Jul 09, 2004
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 03:06 AM
My big things are:

*Backstage snobbiness! Some people head's are just too big. Just because you go to different studios does not mean you can't be respectful to everyone.

*Scary dance moms...oh geez.

*Girls who cry because they messed up on their 8 pirouettes and only did 6!! actually any crying is annoying.

*People who say "Wow good job I really liked your dance!" when they were backstage the whole time you were doing it and didn't even see it! Sportsmanship not fakeness people!
By dixietessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1190, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 02:55 PM
AAAAAGGGHHHHH i could scream bout some of this stuff.. mainly:

- when judges are ballet orientated and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tap.. and i mean no idea.. this girl was dancing flat footed the WHOLE dance,and i saw her crit sheet and it said absolutely nothing about trtying to lift and stay on the ablls o your feet.
- whenjudges only have about 4 standard lines to put on their crit sheet, i was pencilling once for a judge and she had standard comments for a good performance and a bad performance.. like i mean EVERY CRIT WAS THE SAME i could have pre-written them.. so 5 people in one section may have got the same crit, but only one won.. which isnt fair because it doesn't tell the 5th person what she/he needs to do better in order to win.
- when in our tap sections, every single dance.. and i mean EVERY SINGLE dance, is to piano music (slow then fast) with the kid wearing a leatoard with maybe a skirt, and as many sequins and sparkly bits or fluffy bits as humanly possible to fit on a costume. i see this every time at a competition, i used to step out and do something completely different, like once i did an austin powers dance. but they never scored well.. so once i went and did a more traditional dance.. i was not a better dancer.. but HEY i was winning everything..
- When judges give highly commended to every participant that didnt get an award.. oh that shits me THE MOST!! i dont want your stupid sympathy award just cos i wasnt good enough to win! i know i performed shit you dont have to make out like i ddnt GRRR

thats all i can think of right now, but im sure il lbe back.. lol, and sorry it's all mainly about tap.. i do more tap competitions than jazz
By Coolby409 Comments: 99, member since Sat Dec 18, 2004
On Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:26 PM
It's really a shame to see good dancers get out on stage who do not have good choreography to perform. I feel bad because you see good dancers who are better than what they are actually performing. Another thing I hate seeing is when people cannot come up with their own original ideas and they have rip music off from other studios that used the song the year before.
By Dancer90member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 79, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:23 AM
Wow am i glad i found this section. Dont get me wrong I absolutely LOVE competing but there is still so much about it that I hate. Starting with the littlies- Kids who are like 3 or 4 or whatever and who obviously have no desire whatsoever to be there (half of them crying i might add) being forced on to stage with their pollyana hairpiece, an inch of makeup and the most elaborate costumes dripping with sequins to perform dances that most of them dont remember and are so afraid they have to prompted from the wings. (You might say i have a slight problem with the little ones competing!!)

Then the slightly older young kids who have pushy stage mothers who breathe down everyones necks and compare costumes etc like thats all that matters. (or who point out the flaws of other dancers REALLY loudly-some teachers also fall into this category.) Or kids with tons of attitude even when they are like 10 and who think they know everything- or the ones that only win because of their smile and you wonder whether the adjudicators actually watched their dance at all. Or pre-teens doing really suggestive jazz dances in revealing (not that they have anything to reveal) costumes.

In older girls its mostly the what appears to be compolsoury bitchiness between schools and people who have been competing against each other for years.

And Teachers! Where do you start?? My biggest complaints are the ones who put girls into the Open sections who really should be competing as novices and are not even close to standard, or when very talented dancers are held back by poor choreography or hideous costumes.

However despite all of this (whether you believe me or not!!!) I actually love comps! Its just at the end of the 2 week period or whatever your tired and all of this sort of stuff builds up so performing isnt quite as enjoyable!
By dance202 Comments: 25, member since Tue Nov 23, 2004
On Mon Dec 20, 2004 05:17 PM
-those studio's who r bigger then most studio's and u can tell that by the amount of kids there r on the stage at awards... and if there is a studio particapation award... guess who is going to win it... thats right... the bigget studio is going to because say a studio with only 25-45 kids competing r showing their support for their studio isn't going to compare to the studio that has over 100 kids yelling and screaming for their studio... it isn't fair for the smaller studio's....
-I also don't like the fact that when u look in the program to see what studio's r there and u look at a catgory and it's got like 10 people in it and half of the people in it r all from the same studio... 1 or 2from a studio r ok in the same catgory but when the catgory is packed with the same studio then it isn't fair to the other studio's who only have 1 or 2 kids in that same catgory...

thats all i can think of right now...

later
By daner4eva Comments: 4, member since Sun Jul 18, 2004
On Wed Dec 22, 2004 07:42 PM
i kno what u mean with the fortease but i also get tirede of side leg turns, splits, torataes and alottt more.
By xxBarbiDollzxx Comments: 61, member since Sun Dec 05, 2004
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:46 PM
I totaly hate when you can tell a group of really talented dancers are being helled back by the rest of your class. But that dosen't mean to have people who can't do something try to. Just like the fouettes. Your supposed to be able to do at least a clean triple before you start trying fouettes. I've seen some people at competition who can bareley do a double turn, trying to pull of 7 or 8 fouettes.
By Katysmom Comments: 423, member since Thu Apr 15, 2004
On Mon Dec 27, 2004 03:32 PM
Parents that don't care about the dances unless their kid is in it. At a competition last year a mom stood up and screamed across the auditorm for someone to come sit down with her. She screamed several times and was waving her arms like an idiot. To make it worse it was some younger girls on stage dancing, they kinda lost it for a second even all the judges turned around. It was awful.
By GI_mother Comments: 99, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Tue Dec 28, 2004 03:40 AM
What do I hate at competitions??? - well, here goes...

1. I really hate judges who have no idea about judging ballet. We had a local girl win a champion section for ballet, when she had no turnout, no pointed feet, hunched shoulders and was not more than half way up on her pointes. This really sucks.

2. Judges who don't bother to watch - my oldest daughter spent half her routine watching the judge look at a book or talk to the crit writer.

3. Little girls who do "sexy" routines - I am a parent and no way would I allow my daughters to appear in an inappropriate costume, dancing to sexy music and wriggling their hips about. Too, too slutty for me.

4. Dance schools that teach the same choreography for all students, they just do it to different music and wear different costumes. Why can't the parents see that they are paying for nothing... My husband calls one such teacher "The Bingo Lady", as he is convinced she pulls steps out of a bowl, without considering the music, the student or even their ability.

5. The bitchiness that is seen at most comps. Even some teachers get in on the act. Our teachers try to act as role models and do not criticise any other dancer or dance studio. I really appreciate this one. Some dancers from other studios even say horrible things side stage, so that they can be heard. I guess that they are mostly jealous, but I would be ashamed of my daughters if they behaved in this way and would probably remove them from the competitions.

Just my pet hates. I wish that dance studios would award best and fairest awards or improvement awards to their most helpful or nicest dancers to encourage better behaviour. Cheers, JJ.
By GI_mother Comments: 99, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Tue Dec 28, 2004 03:43 AM
Ooops - I said those comments about ballet technique but the same goes for jazz anyway, Cheers, JJ
By Allegro430 Comments: 104, member since Tue Dec 14, 2004
On Wed Dec 29, 2004 01:11 AM
Lets see...i have quite a few things that i hate about competitons.

1. judges who don't know how to judge ballet. i know a lot of competitions are jazz competitions, but if you're going to have a ballet and pointe catagorey, at least know what you're talking about when you judge a number.

2. kids under the age of 12 doing inappropiate (sp?) things. I see so many young kids in numbers that constantly shimmy and shake their buts. kids that young should not be doing that.

3. i can't stand stage moms. i think that once a dance student as reached the age of ten, she should be able to do her own hair and if he or she needs help with make up, do make up before you arrive.

4. all the studios with stuck up kids. i can't stand that. i understand that you are competiting agaisnt these kids, but that doesn't mean we have to treat each other like crap.

i think that's it. i'm sure there are more things that drive me crazy but that is all i can think of for now.
hair
By danzin_gurl Comments: 146, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Thu Dec 30, 2004 06:13 PM
when people wear their hair down or in ponytails, that kills me. I am amazed by people who can dance with their hair down but I think It really distratcs from the dancing, especially if you have long hair. when people do that, all I can watch is their hair hitting them in the face. and In group numbers it makes it look alot messier
By Momof2dancers Comments: 21, member since Mon Mar 25, 2002
On Thu Dec 30, 2004 09:09 PM
Someone already mentioned this, but I get so upset when the audience talks, yells, laughs, talks on cell phones, whatever when their own kids aren't on stage! And at every comp there is always one person who stands up right in front of me when one of my kids is on stage. And when people only clap for their own kids - that really burns me up! The kids & parents at our studio are taught to clap for everyone, and to not get up in the middle of a dance. Why don't all studios teach good manners?
OF COURSE!
By STARSdaNcer Comments: 14, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:13 PM
I also have a big petpeeve! One thing i think really can make or break a dance is your feet! I hate it when im watching a dance and girls feet are flopping around! it distracts there uper body and makes your head drop, and only pay attention to there feet! all you have to do is POINT your feet!PLEASE!!
humm
By STARSdaNcer Comments: 14, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:16 PM
i think it depends on what type of dance you are performing. If you are in a intense lyrical and people are screaming i can agree. But when you are performing a fun character it pumps you up and makes you smile and just have a BLAST!
By BrettiBee43 Comments: 114, member since Mon Dec 27, 2004
On Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:36 AM
Whats wrong with fuetes in a jazz number? There not a ballet step of turn. If piquee to the front inside of side then it becomes jazz.
Page:
Page 4 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch