Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Page:
Page 5 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 18 19 20 21
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions! (karma: 1)
By BrettiBee43 Comments: 114, member since Mon Dec 27, 2004
On Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:40 AM
Omg yes !! we have a little studio and don't enter firgon cazillion numbers. But the ones we do enter are quialty and really good. We jsut got a platuim on one of our musical thearte numbers and high golds on everything else we obly entered four numbers. The other studios had at leat 25 each but we were qualtiy.
re: Things that drive you crazy at competitions!
By ALovelyJazzerina Comments: 12, member since Thu Dec 23, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:22 AM
I hate
Dances and costumes that don't go with the music that they're dancing too.

Dances that are clean and together but are slow, not interesting, un-original and the dancers don't move from the spot that they are at.

Dancers that have no facials and look like they're in pain.

Studio director's who are rude to people ( I mean come one! they're the adults!)
By IsntLifeJuicymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 299, member since Tue Nov 23, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 04:42 PM
Fuettes (sorry about the spelling) can be really annoying, but I like it when 2 or 3 people do them.
By cherriechick Comments: 237, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Fri Jan 07, 2005 08:19 PM
i hate when people try to do stuff they cant really do that well
By dancinbabie18162 Comments: 20, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 02:48 PM
the worst would have to be there hair. I hate it when people have there hair in there face when there dancing its crazy! it drives me crazy when like they dont look all the same because in dance your suppose to look like one dancer lol maybe there just little things but man i go crazy over it haha!
By dancinbabie18162 Comments: 20, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 02:49 PM
the worst would have to be there hair. I hate it when people have there hair in there face when there dancing its crazy! it drives me crazy when like they dont look all the same because in dance your suppose to look like one dancer lol maybe there just little things but man i go crazy over it haha!
By danimals Comments: 19, member since Sat Jan 15, 2005
On Sat Jan 15, 2005 05:03 PM
Ugh, I have ALOT of pet peeves when it comes to competitions. Just to name a few:

RUDENESS - Being a good dancer does not make you exempt from showing a little common courtesy. If you get a compliment, say thank you. If you hit someone by an accident, say excuse me. Dance Explosion instantly comes to mind

judging based on dance politics - DMA, anyone?

recycling dances - Once again, Dance Explosion comes to mind...

age innopropriate attire -not just costumes but all the little booty shorts and teensyweeny bra tops you see at conventions nowadays

trick overload and worse yet, tricks done with no technique *shudder*
By tovagoldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 194, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 01:20 PM
people who DONT POINTE THEIR FEET! hehe
the people who wear like nothing! i mean...at least get a costume with some clothing!!
i've never done competition in my life...so i dont know...
i'm going for the 1st time in a few months...and im nervous...b/c the judges love all those tricks! and mines NOT like that! mines a modern dance...
By TurnsAndLeaps Comments: 168, member since Tue Jun 03, 2003
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:53 PM
- Teachers who come backstage to recrute kids from other studios.

- People that hold their numbers and take their sweet time to get ready....hello--we're waiting!

- Seeing 4 people in a row dance to the same song.

- JUDGES WHO DON"T SAY ANYTHING. Especially if they score you poorly...at least tell me why you gave me that score!

- Sitting in the audience and being able to see little kids (or big kids) in the wings.

- When competitions fail to realize that 4 year olds can't stay in that building from 7 in the morning until midnight that night.

- When people take pictures of their group in the dressing room!!! I wonder how many people have pictures of me naked in the background! :)
By wildchild121291 Comments: 22, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:57 PM
you guyz have sed practicalli every thin so ill jst say i agree wit every thin!
By DammeyDoodle Comments: 10, member since Thu Nov 18, 2004
On Sat Jan 22, 2005 08:57 PM
i hate it when you go to competitions and teams TRY to do switch leaps, but they kick their leg back instead of actually switching it... if cant do a switch leap then DONT do it! and and i also hate when girls are doing like a cutesly jazz dance and they bust out with cheerleading jumps! i mean come on do a leap or something!! this aint cheer! oh and when teams get to the competitions like 5 hours early and take up tons of room in the dressing room... Hello other people are coming too!!!!
By dANCER101kcgmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 236, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 03:12 PM
Hairspray helps if you have shoes! Apply to the ball and the heel!!Before you perform at competitions try to check the floor!

XxXxX
By i_luv_dance_josh Comments: 766, member since Sat Aug 31, 2002
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 07:12 PM
When that music stuffs up. That's what happened at an eistedford once i wasn't there for some reason i couldn't make it and that's what happened i think they started to play the wrong music.
By CHSdancechica Comments: 520, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Mon Jan 24, 2005 08:34 PM
I hate in when you go to a competition and they are running a half an hour ahead of time but don't tell you so they're running around going "CENTENNIAL! CENTNNIAL!!!" And you're like what? And they say, "you're on deck hurry!"

Or it's even worse if they're really behind schedule and you go to show up at your marking time or performing time and there is a big line of teams waiting to go.

Oi..

Kiley
By fiona_earth Comments: 56, member since Sun Jan 09, 2005
On Tue Jan 25, 2005 01:54 AM
Good Topic!
I like it!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 25, 2005 07:28 PM
1. judges who don't know how to judge ballet. i know a lot of competitions are jazz competitions, but if you're going to have a ballet and pointe catagorey, at least know what you're talking about when you judge a number.

I'm a clogger! How do you think I feel?!

Although, they do tend to hit the basics - technique, sound, etc. And, they're actually pretty good about admitting that they don't know the first thing about it, if you just ask.

T
By lftwingdancer Comments: 39, member since Wed Jan 19, 2005
On Wed Jan 26, 2005 06:56 PM
definitely little kids doing dances in dirty costumes to dirty songs
By dancer_4_life_ Comments: 3, member since Fri Jan 28, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:21 PM
Wow, all of you go to studio competitions!! I've never belonged to a studio, I've only danced with the school! But the one thing I hate is that this one school always wins! They are really good, but their team is so small and perfect it makes me sick!! They have about 5 girls on their team. They are really great dancers and I respect them for it... but I just feel that always coming in second sucks!! Our school is always a runner up to their team! Next year I think we'll beat them (I won't be a part of the team anymore, I'll be on the college team) But our coach is making our high school team so hard to be a part of-- you have to have talent! We're definately going to win first at regionals and then state!!
rudeness
By MDAdancer08 Comments: 77, member since Tue Jan 25, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:24 PM
My biggest pet peeve at competitions, ESPECIALLY at smaller local ones my studio goes to in between bigger competitions, is all the rudeness between parents and students of other studios. I personally have tons of friends from different studios but have actually heard talking about me and my studio right in front of me...sometimes people need to keep there opinions to themselves at competitions because you never know who is around you. You also need to step back a little and not get so angery about everything. I really don't feel like getting screamed at in a dressing room for putting my stuff in someone's "team" stop...its really unnescessary. I hope this changes some peoples ideas of what thery do ant comps!
By BDPDancer08 Comments: 124, member since Sat Jan 29, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:50 PM
I HATE HATE HATE the girls at competions when you say great job and they we know! Or first competion last year there were chicks vomiting in the trash cans in the hallwayz!! What in the world!!
By wierdbutloveable Comments: 319, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:49 PM
When you overhear people in the audience talking bad about people from other studios. Like my old dance teacher used to say, " if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." I also don't like how there can be drama between studios competitions.
By rubiesteele Comments: 9, member since Sun Feb 06, 2005
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:04 AM
7 things I hate about Dance Competitions...

1.The crowd screaming during a dance.

2.The dance schools who think they own the competition.

3.Girls who are mean to thier mothers, who love them and are just trying to help.

4.Stage moms!!! Who need to learn to let thier kid make a mistake.

5.Crying over a poor medal standing. Every judge scores different you can't predict that you'll always get a gold.

6.Not being able to hear an announcer.

7.People who walk in front of you when your trying to watch.

I'm sure there's more but I do love competitions and think that it is a VERY importaint avenue for a dancer to go down.
By rubiesteele Comments: 9, member since Sun Feb 06, 2005
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:05 AM
7 things I hate about Dance Competitions...

1.The crowd screaming during a dance.

2.The dance schools who think they own the competition.

3.Girls who are mean to thier mothers, who love them and are just trying to help.

4.Stage moms!!! Who need to learn to let thier kid make a mistake.

5.Crying over a poor medal standing. Every judge scores different you can't predict that you'll always get a gold.

6.Not being able to hear an announcer.

7.People who walk in front of you when your trying to watch.

I'm sure there's more but I do love competitions and think that it is a VERY importaint avenue for a dancer to go down.
By DnCin21 Comments: 6, member since Mon Feb 07, 2005
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:08 PM
Edited by DnCin21 (121788) on 2005-02-07 11:59:36
RUDENESS - Being a good dancer does not make you exempt from showing a little common courtesy. If you get a compliment, say thank you. If you hit someone by an accident, say excuse me. Dance Explosion instantly comes to mind

This right here is an example of one of my pet peeves...My daugters studio was at the same nationals as dance explosion this year (Star Systems, Myrtle Beach), and grant it they are very good, some of them really good. And the only reason some people my find them rude is because you base your judgement on what you think you saw (my pet peeve). My daughter told me that she had said "good job, that was really good" and actually talked to a few of the girls and guys from Dance Explosion and found out that they are actually really nice and fun people, and they are allways laughing (not at other peopple) when you talk to them...Now I don't know about them recycling dances, but if that is what they do, they should keep doing it because all of their dances are amazing, some more then others...So talking about studios behind their backs trying to give them a bad name for no reason, probally because results did not turn out the way they wanted, is my pet peeve and the tru rudness....

BESIDES THAT: my pet peeve that gets me the most is seeing a studio use the same dance moves in every1 of their dances, its bad when you can tell where groups are from just by the way the dances look even if they are bad, good, or even great!
By joydancer2390member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 188, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 02:57 PM
DANCES THAT ARE UNAPPROPRIATE!!!!!! also, the same song ten times, people with no attitude onstage, when people do chasses and their arms go way up (it just doesnt look good), when people wear their hair down...hhmmm there must be more
emily
Page:
Page 5 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch