Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 2 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By southern_dancer Comments: 32, member since Mon Apr 12, 2004
On Sat Oct 09, 2004 07:21 AM
I started when i was 13. i am now almost 15 but i think that it i cool to see older people dance. I t proves to everyone else that your not to old to do something if you really want to do it. Also i think it is best to start kids at an older age. In my dance class at the beginning we have like 3,4,5, or 6 year olds and they dont really pay attention so it is not really helping but its all up to the parent.

*meg
By Mark18UK Comments: 1, member since Tue Oct 12, 2004
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 03:08 PM
What an absolutely inspiring message Dani. I am an 18 year old lad with an absolute passion for irish music and i have been putting myself down about starting irish dancing for about 6 months but after all the posted messages i feel worrying about it is just a waste of time. All i need to know of now is any dance schools in my region that are willing to take me on.
Thanx soooo much
By MichelleNi Comments: 30, member since Sun Oct 03, 2004
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 03:58 PM
This is a fantastic post! It has really inspired me to keep going. I'm 22 and in may started back to dancing as my to sisters were mad to go (6 and 9).

I had previous unsucessful attempts at ID once when i was 5 - I huffed because i could get my 'sevens' and never went back.

I tryed again in secondary school (13) but it wasnt really en vogue to be dancing so i gave up again.

I relearned a reel before the summer and practised really hard, I wasnt confident before dancing with all of the younger more experienced dancers but its good criac and i really enjoy it.

My teacher reckon it will be 2 years before i am allowed to go to any competitions outside our own feis, but this post has gave me the determination to try harder and get there sooner ( if i can)

By jodie_podie Comments: 21, member since Thu Oct 14, 2004
On Mon Oct 18, 2004 02:04 AM
i strongly agree with that post in any stlye of dance
By snowdancing Comments: 143, member since Mon Oct 18, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 06:32 PM
Thankyou so much. I'm soo glad you posted this now! It inspired me to start ID.I always admired dancers and I could see their passion but I always thought I was too old but now I am confident that if I try hard I will succeed! I had my first class last Wednesday and my second one is tomorrow!
By RedHeadReel Comments: 127, member since Thu Oct 28, 2004
On Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:20 AM
I just started dancing last year and I am 17! I agree with your comments, but when you see those little dancers, it makes you smile. The only thing that worries me is injuries. One of the girls in my school has blown out her ankles and doesn't know if she will be able to dance again. It is scary, but I suppose you could do that as an adult too! I just feel that if you love it, do it!!!
By jada88 Comments: 10, member since Thu Oct 28, 2004
On Fri Nov 05, 2004 05:52 PM
Than for ur help.
By SelkiePrincess Comments: 108, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Sun Nov 07, 2004 05:58 PM
I love this post. There aren't any teachers near me so I'm hoping that I'll be able to go to grad school near some good, open-minded dance school...which means that by the time I start lessons I'll be at least 21 (maybe 22 if I can't start dancing and grad school at the same time, or a little older if I wind up waiting till I go on fieldwork to find lessons). Thanks for the great post!!
By IrishDance_chick Comments: 147, member since Sun Nov 07, 2004
On Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:45 PM
you guys are totly right
By Ballerinchen Comments: 53, member since Thu Sep 23, 2004
On Mon Nov 08, 2004 05:54 AM
great post!
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Mon Nov 08, 2004 08:07 PM
I am happy to see such a post also!

I am 23, and take a class with teens, and sometimes I feel a bit awkward, even though I am the smallest, haha!

They thought I was really young anyway, one girl in my class asked me what grade I was in.

My teacher is only 20, I am older than her!
By Gwenavere Comments: 236, member since Fri Jul 09, 2004
On Fri Nov 12, 2004 01:11 PM
Thank you. That was inspiring!
Courtney
re: You're NEVER too old! (karma: 1)
By CelticJedi Comments: 213, member since Wed Nov 03, 2004
On Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:50 PM
great post! I'm 19 and I just started 2 months ago. before irish i did ballet and jazz when I was really really little & I remember none of it. I find that I can remember the steps quickly in ID now. I know I'll probably never make it to a show or anything, but I don't care. I love Irish Dancing. I'm not looking to make it a career - I'm in college for that - but it's a great way to exercise. Though I've only been doing it for a short time I feel that my self-confidence has been boosted by dancing. I can now watch Riverdance and point out some steps and say "I can do that!".
By dancing_spazmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 551, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:18 PM
i started to irish dance when I was 7, my mom always wanted me to take it but i didnt really want to, but when i did i totally loved it and im still dancing now. but i wasnt that serious about it, i didnt really work hard or practice but last year, my friend from a different dance school said "you dont have really good turn outs", i secretly got kinda mad and wanted to prove something to her. I switched to Wednesday Nights, got a lot more focused, i learn so much more, and im hoping to get into prizewinner by the end of the year. So I didnt start getting serious till last year basicly, and with all that focus you can get far. any age.
Too Heavy?
By Louise1986 Comments: 7, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Nov 21, 2004 07:15 AM
I am 18 and danced sice I was 10, then I left at 15 because of exams and things. I am going back this week to my old dancing school and am really excited about seeing old friends and things and all these posts have been really helpful about beginning again. I just have one more question though, I have put on a lot of weight since I was there last and don't know if I will be able to keep up with the steps anymore. I also will be a bit embarressed as not only will I not be as good as the other dancers anymore, bt I will also be a lot heavier. I am not fat, but in comparison to the other dancers I may look it, I am a size 14 and 160pounds, which is quite normal for a 5'5 18 year old, but not so normal for a dancer. Any suggestions?
By irishrockstar Comments: 371, member since Sat Nov 20, 2004
On Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:11 PM
Edited by irishrockstar (113798) on 2004-12-03 23:05:32 last sentence didnt make sense because I wrote "not" instead of "no"...it was a typo
I really enjoyed reading your post, Dani. I started at the age of 18-two years ago. I researched about adult dancers and I have learned a lot. I agree with everything that you said. It isn't hard for me to learn the steps at all. And there were a couple of dancers in our class who were much older than me...and they were fantastic!! I think it all pertains to motivation. If you are motivated you will do well. Irish dancing is something that I have always wanted to do. And after my first class, I was hooked. I practiced every single day...even on the little steps that I knew. Adult dancers are no different than Children. :]

~Marisa
By irish3509member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 886, member since Sat Dec 04, 2004
On Wed Dec 08, 2004 07:35 PM
"I have put on a lot of weight since I was there last and don't know if I will be able to keep up with the steps anymore. I also will be a bit embarressed as not only will I not be as good as the other dancers anymore, bt I will also be a lot heavier. I am not fat, but in comparison to the other dancers I may look it, I am a size 14 and 160pounds, which is quite normal for a 5'5 18 year old, but not so normal for a dancer. Any suggestions?"

Louise1986

i'd say that we're in the same boat, once you start dancing again you'll probably lose some weight, but as long as you are comfortable with yourself, that's the best way to be. some of these girls look too skinny, i like normal looking people ;)

good luck with the dancing
By IrishDancingNerdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 586, member since Tue Dec 07, 2004
On Sat Dec 11, 2004 06:51 AM
Wow, what an amazing post! If I could give you karma, I would. I started when I was 12, but my teacher didn't even say anything! She never thought that I was too old to start, and even when I got discouraged because I felt 'too fat to dance' (I'm really not fat, just overweight a bit) she insisted I wasn't, and that I was a great dancer anyway. I love my teacher, she's so nice. I also have a friend who started when she was 17 (last year), and she has one dance in PW already, the rest in novice! Age isn't a factor, motivation and love of the dance is what matters! WOO IRISH DANCE!!!
By I1Irishdancer Comments: 1480, member since Thu Dec 27, 2001
On Thu Dec 16, 2004 09:45 AM
Very good post! I started when I was 13 and now I'm 17 and in Open champs and going to Worlds for the second time!! It has taken a lot of hard work and dedication but it's definately attainable. I have very high goals for myself and I will keep on working toward them in college. Go for it! :D

~Brenda~
Age doesn't matter!
By treblejiggler Comments: 103, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:21 AM
I started when I was 40 and love it! Go to open feisanna for fun and have even placed occasionally. Won my easy reel recently although they were not enough in the group to make it count. YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD!!! ;)
By GraniaPremium member Comments: 599, member since Wed Dec 12, 2001
On Sat Jan 01, 2005 09:58 AM
I agree with you, you're never too late to start! Of course, I've always been rather ambitious. When I first started dancing, I wanted to go pro, because I wish I could dance as well as Jean Butler. And sometimes I still feel that way. But I'm 20 now and just getting back into things, so it made me wonder: if you're never too old to start, are you ever too old to go pro? I'm an idiot, I know, sorry!
Thats right!
By irishlass Comments: 335, member since Mon Jan 17, 2005
On Sun Jan 23, 2005 09:40 AM
You are never too old (although 99 might be a little old!)to start Irish Dance. That's right.
By loradoherty Comments: 0, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Mon Jan 24, 2005 02:03 PM
great post
By CrazyLanamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 254, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Mon Jan 24, 2005 04:53 PM
I started irish dance when i was 10 but quit 3 months into because i was so much bigger than everyone else. Now I am 16 years old, and i started dancing again about 6 months ago, and i am so happy i did, I love everything about it, the whole energy. It is discouraging though sometimes because i am the eldest beginner and everyone close to my age is at least novice, but i'm not quitting and i intend to dance throughout College and maybe beyond. Irish Dancing is a great way to stay fit and it just makes me happy, i feel so connected to my heritage when i hear the music and dance. I am only on soft shoe now but i can't wait to start hard shoe, and hopefully i'll start competitions soon as well.
By Aimiliona Comments: 4, member since Fri Jan 28, 2005
On Fri Jan 28, 2005 01:41 PM
I started later than treblejigger--I was 44. I have to watch my knees, but I just promoted my slip jig to novice. I'll never leap as high as the kids, but I'm much better at analyzing what I have to work on than I was as a child.
Page:
Page 2 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch