Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 3 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By justins_rivalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Sun Jan 30, 2005
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:42 AM
Yeh, your soo right! Im 16 and i started dancing last year, in september, was 15 then though. Im a boy so its just as true that boys should dance, we cant let you girls win everything now can we.
Everyone keep up the dancing! and if ur a boy and ur mates laugh then they arnt the kind of mates worth having. It doenst make u girly, because REEL BOYZ DANCE!! ie mr Lord of the Dance himself.
By calicocat Comments: 20, member since Tue Feb 01, 2005
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:33 AM
Thanks for such a wonderful and inspiring post. Makes me want to take classes even at my age. The beauty and the grace of Irish Dance is not just for the young but the young at heart.
By PreFeisSyndrome Comments: 767, member since Mon Jan 31, 2005
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:20 AM
My school has a great adult class. The ages range from 15 to 55!I started Irish dancing when I was 30 years old. No, I will never dance at Worlds, but I still impress my friends, family and co-workers! (:
By irish_dancer_82 Comments: 545, member since Tue Feb 01, 2005
On Wed Feb 09, 2005 08:09 AM
I'm 22 and started dancing at 20. I know I'm too old to make it to a show...but I just love dancing!!! And I'm giving the best I have, every time again. So what, then I won't make it to the Worlds, I can always try...as long as I enjoy it!
I saw a man in his 60 at a feis last year....he had fun and why not? I hope I still can dance when I'm that old.
By LOTDfan Comments: 15, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 09:02 AM
Great post. I am 16 and i absolutely LOVE Irish dancing..I am not a dancer sadly.
By sfizzlemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 576, member since Thu Jan 06, 2005
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 05:13 PM
You go chickadee!
Siera
re: You're NEVER too old! (karma: 1)
By reeler Comments: 49, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Tue Mar 22, 2005 03:14 PM
I saw a quote somewhere that said as long as you can walk, you can do some form of irish dance. I thought it was interesting.
You're never too old!
By Gaellinn Comments: 364, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Tue Mar 22, 2005 08:09 PM
So I'm 28... big deal! I think I'm the oldest Open Champion competitive dancer in the Mid-Atlantic Region who is not either a household name or dancing in Adults. Still nothing, not even four months out on injury since the Oireachtas can keep me away.
I've been dancing for three years and loving every minute (including the ones that hurt). I just came back for my first private lesson Sunday (First day of World's) Couldn't think of a better day to start with all the excitement and buzz.
Happy to be back in hardshoes! Happy to be back to my Irish Dancing Family! Happy to cheer on all the incredible dancers who have the honor of dancing at this years World Championships!
Happy to not stress out about new material for National's! Just Happy to be dancing again - who knows what will happen next?
By ThunderDreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 697, member since Sun Mar 27, 2005
On Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:14 PM
Never too old? I couldn't agree more!!! I started 5 weeks ago at the age of 22. The only problem I have encountered is that I have to be more watchful of injuries than if I was 10 years younger.
By cloverdanse Comments: 91, member since Sun Apr 03, 2005
On Sun Apr 03, 2005 01:44 PM
i started irish dance last year when i was almost 14. it doesnt matter how old u r when u start, all that matters is if u r dedicated or not.
By Elle14 Comments: 404, member since Fri Feb 13, 2004
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 AM
WOW Gaellin (sp) you have only been dancing 3 years and are in Open Champs?? Thats amazing i'm 27 been dancing 1 and 1/2 years (in Primary but only competed twice!!) wow you have given me hope!! Well done and good luck :)
Elle X
hiya
By trimble_bimblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 238, member since Mon May 02, 2005
On Thu May 05, 2005 01:15 PM
i've bin doin irish since i was 12 and i'm nearlly 14 but you are never too old. never!
By short_red_headmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 127, member since Sun May 08, 2005
On Mon May 09, 2005 07:41 PM
Thanks, I completely agree!
I'm fifteen and I started ID four months ago, I'm the oldest person in my class, but I love the little ones!
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4050, member since Thu Sep 30, 2004
On Sat May 14, 2005 01:55 PM
Thanks for that because I started when I was 15, and I had to start in a class full of little kids (ie: 6,7,8,9 years old). THAT was frustarting because I would pick up the new steps quickly, but they wouldn't. That slowed me down in my dancing!! Now-after workingmy butt off every night- I am in the novice/open class even though I am only in adv beginner!! I still practice more than the other girls in my class, but it hasn't paid off yet. I am attending my first adv beginner feis, and I am hoping that practicing with the novice/open girls will pay off. I am hoping to get all ofm y dances into novice before the 2006 dance year. I am starting university this year too, so that will be a challenge, but after reading this post, I won't be discouraged!!
I am also hoping that I might even go ahead of the other girls in my class becaus I practice ten times more than they do even though my teacher looks at them more then me. Does anyone else have that problem? Their teacher looks at other girls more than them even though you practice a TON more than they do? THAT IS ANNOYING!! Anyways, thanks for posting this; it reminds me that there are other dancers out there who dance, yet are my age too. Also, that there are beginners who excel, and achieve their dreams just like the ones who start young!!!
There is a girl who is in prizewinner in my class, and has been dancing since she was three (now she is 16). However, I am hoping to get into prizewinner in only 5 more years. That would mean I would be 22; not much chance at the Worlds, but you know!!
Thanks again!!
By texasirishdancer Comments: 133, member since Tue May 24, 2005
On Tue May 24, 2005 05:25 PM
ya i just started dancing and i am 14 (i started in Apri 2005) my teachers say i am a natural and i am already learning my hardshoe dances (a month after i started) and i think it is b/c i am older and have a better understanding of what to do and the ability to comprehend what my teachers are telling me to do.
By Celticfeet2 Comments: 21, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Wed May 25, 2005 05:42 PM
Thanks Dani...I needed that!! I started Irish dancing when I was 16, and am now in novice; I really regret not starting earlier sometimes, but then I remember that if I work hard...I can do anything!! Thanks again!
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 860, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Mon May 30, 2005 07:34 PM
Never too old, but maybe totally in the wrong place! I started abit of irish dancing when I was 14 till i was 15 and loved it! I did a performance for my school's 140th anniversary and it was the BESt experience in dance that i've ever had! + the music is really nice too. My problem is i'm from Singapore = Asia = hardly any irish dancing teachers. So sad, because I'd really like to learn again.
By MuireannElwingmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 460, member since Mon Oct 11, 2004
On Mon May 30, 2005 08:24 PM
Jump, that's so sad!! What happened to the school you used to be with?
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 860, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Tue May 31, 2005 09:22 AM
Hi MuireannElwing,
For the performance and the year before that I learnt ballet under my teacher, who recrutied another teacher for the tap and irish part of our performance. The 2nd teacher never formally belonged to a dance school and I think after we were done, she went back to teaching tap. She doesn't teach irish dance anymore because of lack of demand.
By LouCeemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1608, member since Wed May 19, 2004
On Sat Jun 04, 2005 02:58 PM
totally agree- its never too late! In my school (the same school of Saoirse) the ages go between 5 - ?? Im not even sure..but we have a big adult class (bigger than my class) Its in mainland Europe where at competitions, they run age groups to over 45, which i dont think would ever happen in the UK or Ireland, but here it's normal. Ive seen adults who work twice as hard as some of the kids,and you can see their improvement so much! Spesh Saoirse lol, you have come such a long way in so little time!! See you tommorow at the workshop!!! (if your going!)
Lucy xxx
i agree!
By crazy4irishdance Comments: 66, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 03:56 PM
definitely~ i started when i was 13..its been a few months and i'm already moved up one class because of hard work!! it really doesn't matter when you start...it matters how much you want it
LEAD BY EXAMPLE (karma: 1)
By Dom_Dancer4life Comments: 33, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Wed Jun 15, 2005 01:59 PM
I think perhaps the best way to show that all this brilliant advice is to show you my example.

I danced and competed for several years as a youngster (untill i was 14) then I had to stop due to expense and exams etc. Ever since I stopped ive wanted to sart again. Now I am 19 and I have organised my own irish dancing club from scratch at my university which now meets meets once a week with a professional teacher. And now that it is the summer I have hooked back up with my old dance school and im having lessons while I am back home. It is most definitely possible to start as an older dancer. I have 38 students who are 19+ on my books and hopefully more will come in September to the freshers fair and sign up then. So my point is, never give up. If you want to dance then do it. Dont be put off by anyone or anything. Like me, you will reep the benefits as well as a sense of satisfaction at watching everyone having a great time together.
By KrystalGhilliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 710, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Wed Jun 15, 2005 02:05 PM
Amen sister! haha goooooood for you!!! :) :)
We're not too old! (karma: 1)
By IrishDancrCheeps Comments: 225, member since Sun Jan 09, 2005
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 01:15 PM
It's great to know that so many people feel the same way about feeling too old to irish dance; I'm definitely not alone out there. Here's a quote that I found really inspiring and it reiterates the idea that we are NOT too old!!

"There is nothing more notable in Socrates than that he found time, when he was an old man, to learn music and dancing, and thought it time well spent."
-Michel de Montaigne

Socrates was a wise dude. Even through a lifetime of learning, gaining knowledge about philosophy,life, and the world, he still wanted to learn more, even at an old age. This is yet another thing we can learn from the philosopher Socrates.
By AuroraCals Comments: 356, member since Thu Nov 13, 2003
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 07:36 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I am 27 and have danced all my life. Recently though, I have been thinking about how much I would love to do Irish dance. Now, I feel like maybe I can!!
Page:
Page 3 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch