Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 4 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By feismum Comments: 1300, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 06:37 AM
HI, I'm old enough to be a mum (obvious I know) but I did ID when I was small. Lately I've been considering taking it up again. I wasn't that good - I never got out of beginners and only won 1 medal! I'm 37 and wondered if anyone else my sort of age was competing as I have this desire to win something before I'm too old. My DD is all for it! What do you guys think??
GO 4 IT
By Dom_Dancer4life Comments: 33, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:39 PM
I admire your courage, as I too have had self doubt issues on this subject. I would offer you the most heart felt encouragment! (I cant remember if I said alerady) but the oldest lady in my class at University is in her mid 40s and shes doing very very well for a beginner (she hasnt thought about competing yet). She is proof that you can do whatever you want at whatever age. As long as you want to do it, nothing should stand in your way. If you are in the mid wales area, feel free to come along!!
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 02:16 PM
thanks for the encouragement. a friend is going to come with me so I'm asking my daughter's teacher tomorrow. if she won't teach us then we'll go to my friend's old school. I'm in Scotland or otherwise I would have come along. wish me luck!!
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!
On Mon Aug 08, 2005 03:19 PM
Best of luck :)
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 03:03 PM
Well, I asked at my daughter's dance school but no luck - she won't teach adults now!! I need to start looking for another dance school nearby who teaches. I'm apprehensive but quite glad it will be at another school!!
By Riana_to_be Comments: 73, member since Wed Jul 27, 2005
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 03:05 PM
won't that be weird... going to one school and your daughter goes to another one? Are you transferring her?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 03:12 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2005-08-12 15:24:27
^ It's not so weird. My sister and I go to completely different schools--and at least one other dancer on the boards is/was in the same situation. It's all about the best fit for you!

Dani
keep looking
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 03:18 PM
Dont be put off, whatever happens. Plenty of schools teach adults, some more seriously than others. Anyway, sorry to hear they arent accepting adults...but hey at least there wont be any awkward moments with your daughter :) Best of luck!!
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 02:13 AM
I am definately not transferring her. from what I've seen and heard her dance teacher is one of the best so she's sticking where she is. I'm getting into it as a way of getting fit and having fun. I'm sure it'll work out fine.
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 03:18 AM
Hi, I've managed to get into an adult dancing class. I should start next week (or Saturday if I can persuade my friend to come then). I'm really nervous and worried about what the little ones will think. Or should I be more worried about the teenagers???
By jimmysonfire Comments: 8, member since Sun Aug 28, 2005
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 07:06 PM
am i too young? dance like this doesent appeal to my age group will it still bve around when im your age?!
oldies
By saoirse79 Comments: 135, member since Thu Aug 12, 2004
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 02:34 AM
i started at 20 im now 26 in open and still going! never too old\!
By EireRincemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1026, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 02:57 AM
Hi feismum :)

I'm not sure which little ones you are referring to, but my advice is to follow your hearts' desire and enjoy your dance experience, and not worry about what others think.

My first stab at irish dance lessons (actually 2nd, I tried to take classes 2 years ago but my work schedule kept getting in the way) starts in 2 weeks and I'm as excited as if I were a small child starting out.

I hope to learn as much as I can while enjoying the social and historical aspects of dancing. And if I end up winning a few medals, well that won't bother me a bit :)

Dancing mums unite :D

Irishdancemom
waiting, growing stronger...lol :-p
By wee_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 283, member since Thu Sep 22, 2005
On Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:02 PM
hey everyone, i'm from scotland n started irish dancing when i was about 8. it was great n, although i didnt win loads of medals because i could only go to class once a week, it WAS my life. then, last feb., i tore ligiments in a feis, so took a break, but afetr a few weeks, theyd healed enough for me to start again. only THEN i broke my ankle at school, so quit for a few months. my mum wasnt 2 happy about me goin bk, but round about a year ago, she let me, n it ws goin fine until i went over my ankle wn i was walkin my dog, n since i used it as an excuse to get sent home from skool (:-P) my papa decided 2 take me 2 hospital n i wa totally fine, but my mum banned me from dancing, n now i feel hopeless. i was ok till about a month or 2 ago, but now i just desperately want to start again, so iv decided that, when im about 16, if not earlier, im going to take it up again so HAHA MUM!!!! lol
!!!!NEVER!!!! lol
By celticfrost Comments: 104, member since Sat Sep 24, 2005
On Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:42 PM
that is one of the best posts ever! I have heard so many kids day that too...and I teach beginners so I know that it is so much easier to pick-up steps when ur older and u learn so much faster. Its totally possible to catch up to someone who started when they were young...i know from personal experience! Way awesome post! very good idea! xoxo
RE: You're NEVER too old!
By slip_jig_genny Comments: 171, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 08:38 AM
Ok, so you're never too old to start Dancing, that I agree with. But my question is, can you be too old to get to Championship? I started at 20 and this is my 3rd year of competition and I'm still in advance beginner. I dream of being able to move up to championship, but maybe I'm just fooling myself. Maybe I'm too old for that. Lets face it, 23 isn't old, but there are some things I just can't do like my fellow competitors who are around 16 yrs old. So what do you think, am I just dreaming or is there a possibility that I might make it?

Genny
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 09:15 AM
To be sure, if you start at age three or four, that gives you more time to work on developing the technique, but I've long thought that you don't absolutely need to start before you are potty-trained to reach a high caliber. I think it's entirely possible to reach the caliber of a champion even if you start as late as age ten. Age ten is still very young. As well as Michael Flatley starting at age eleven and managing to become a world champion Irish dancer, another example of starting a little later age-wise maybe not in dancing, but in something in which many of the participants start very young, is that at the Athens olympics, there was a woman diver who started at age twelve, and still managed to reach the caliber of an Olympian.
By hlonv Comments: 16, member since Tue Jun 01, 2004
On Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:42 PM
I want to start dancing but I am 19, not to mention the fact I am 5'10 and heavy. I looked for schools in my area and the closest one is atleast a five hour drive. Is there any other way you can think of that I could learn to dance. Atleast other people have started when they were my age so there us hope.
optrions 4 the beginner
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 06:32 AM
Dont forget that there is a wealth of instructional DVDs out there that you can practice with, until u are able to get to a class! eg Celtic Feet by Colin Dunne or one of the many by Oliver Hurley. Even Jean Butler's Masterclass DVD might b n option...if you want to challnge yourself. Hope that this helps!
By dcdancer Comments: 811, member since Fri Jul 05, 2002
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 07:51 AM
Slig Jig Jenny...

I started Irish dancing when I was 27. I danced for 6 years as an "adult". Last year, I qualified for Prelims and will compete in the Oireachtas this year. If you set yourself to it, keep practicing and you have a good support system in your school and your teacher, you can certainly get to championships!

Good Luck!
By griffonhollymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 313, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:55 AM
I started the week after my 17th birthday (I needed to get my licence to get to class!) and I worked hard until I realized my teacher wasn't doing anything with me anymore. I got pushed further and further back and I decided to leave. But schools weren't keen to take on a 22 year old so I took a year off to find a new school and the new one wasn't spectacular and i didn't learn much (mostly because I broke my foot and needed to take off for 3 months). So I decided to retire at 24 and now that I am 25, I am missing it again... (maybe I can find an adult class which is slower and less competetive). Thanks for the boost!
By slip_jig_genny Comments: 171, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:13 AM
Thank you Dcdancer for your kind words of encouragement.

Genny
By CyndilouwhoCO Comments: 108, member since Mon Aug 01, 2005
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 01:08 PM
I'm a 33 year old prelim & I have to say that our adults complain less than the kids & tend to make the most of their time in the studio. My mantra for class is now "NO WHINING... YOU'RE HALF MY AGE!"
By JoLuckyCharm Comments: 1, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:30 AM
Ahh, thank you! I am 16 and I want to start learning Irish dance. My dad says I'm too old.
By QueensJennmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1278, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 07:58 PM
I started dancing when I was 14, and I am now 19, and in Prelims. You're never, ever too old, and anyone who says that is just being shallow and ageist!!
Page:
Page 4 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch