Page 5 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By cuddlycrab Comments: 419, member since Mon Nov 14, 2005
On Tue Dec 13, 2005 08:36 PM
Wow, what an amazing post! It is 100% true! :D
By Easha Comments: 0, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:11 AM
I'm eight years old and half irish. Am I too young to start dancing? My granny is 77 and she still dances, hehe!
By emilytheprincess Comments: 1208, member since Thu Jan 12, 2006
On Thu Jan 12, 2006 02:59 PM
This post is very inspiring! I am 15 and I have wanted to irish dance my whole life but now that I am serious about it, I felt I was too old but now I know that if it is something that I really want to do i can still do it anyways. thanks for the inspiration!
By Searlait Comments: 327, member since Sun Feb 12, 2006
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 08:25 PM
I started when I was 35...I am 38 now. I don't intend to ever compete, but we do dance-outs and recitals, and most importantly..it's FUN!!!
By CaliTangerine Comments: 27, member since Fri Jan 20, 2006
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 05:54 PM
I'm 18, I just started ID last month, and I'm having so much fun! I'm in love with ID. I got my first pair hard shoes yesterday :)
Never, never! (karma: 1)
By IDHypnotistPremium member Comments: 419, member since Sun Feb 19, 2006
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 02:42 PM
I'm about to turn 44, and I danced at the National level through about age 21, when I decided to really focus on my college studies. I always wanted to return, and even thought about a TCRG, but never followed through. They don't care what level they achieve, yet. But I know that they will work to their best potential, because they love it. Now, my kids are 13 and 11 and they just started, and they love it. Even better, their teacher loves adults, and has classes for them, too. Sure, I'm on a different level than the other adults are, but it's a blast! And more importantly, I'm willing to work my bottom off for 1.5 hours two days a week or more doing this. I was never willing to do that with aerobics (and I TAUGHT that!). It's fun, good for you, and worth every minute.

Oh, and yes, the Irish and many folks in the NYC area laugh at adults dancing. Who cares? It's not their business to judge my choices. (my sisters are among them). You've got to do what's best for you and make your heart happy.
By kimmers Comments: 8, member since Mon Feb 20, 2006
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 05:57 PM
That is just so true!
I started at 13 and am now 14 and I'm all caught up to the rest of my class. No one should be worried about starting to late cause it doesn't matter. If you try really har you can catch up
By dalik25 Comments: 23, member since Fri Feb 17, 2006
On Mon Feb 27, 2006 02:59 PM
I'm 25 and right now I'm in my first Irish dance class. I'm a student and this is a class offered by my Univeristy. It's hard sometimes but it's a lot of fun too. We have practical and written tests. We have a lot of fun practicing together in groups before tests and then just dance the best we can. I'm learning soft shoe dances right now but we're going to start doing some hard show soon too. I'm really excited about the class. I love wearing the gillies. The reason I'm taking Irish is because I got accepted into a folk dance team in my school and I want to learn how to do it to be able to advance to a higher team. I was scared at first but now I love it and I'm excited to learn more. I've never done any kind of dancing before I started college and I worked hard to be where I'm at right now, but even if it's frustrating and sometimes I think "it would've been so much easier to learn everything if I were younger" I'm actually happy that I'm not because now I'm doing it becasue I love it not because my parents wanted me to. That motivation keeps me on going and on working hard. So, keep going when it's hard and have confidence. If you love it you'll do great! Good luck everybody!
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1258, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 03:52 PM
Great post! I just wanted to share my story as well. I did several types of dancing growing up (tap, jazz, ballet, clogging), but I didn't start Irish until I was in college (about 6 1/2 years ago). I just made it into Prelims, and I plan on dancing and competing until I just plain can't anymore (though if I keep getting injured like I am, that may be sooner that I hope).
By Celtic_Cutie Comments: 75, member since Fri Mar 10, 2006
On Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 PM
Thank you so much! I wanted to take Irish Dance ever since I went to a St. Patricks day parade with my family when I was 3. But since I take ballet, jazz, modern, lyrical, and I'm on a dance team I never had the time. When I was 11 I had the chance to start but I didn't because I thought I was to old. Same thing when I was 12. Now I'm 13, and I finaly decided on it: I'm going to be an irish dancer! ID is so much fun! I don't see how I lived without it for so long.
By Alyssa_da_Dancer Comments: 30, member since Sun Mar 19, 2006
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 02:08 PM
I'm turning 18 this friday, and have been doing all classical ballet and jazz ballet since I was 4. Have wanted to irish dance for ages, and am starting it next week.. remember, no one's ever too old to dance!!!!

Maybe I'm too old to be a gymnasts.. but everyone can dance!!
By DanceIfYouCan Comments: 28, member since Sun Apr 23, 2006
On Mon Apr 24, 2006 05:41 AM
I've taken class with one girl who CONSTANTLY came to the lessons and put herself down - EVERY WEEK. I felt like asking her why in the world she was taking Irish dancing if she didn't think she could do it at all. It was really annoying.
By kittykat87 Comments: 474, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Tue Apr 25, 2006 06:56 AM
I agree with everythiny you said. I started when I was 13. I may not compete but I do dance for fun. I used to do other types pf dances before I did Irish Dance and it helped me with Irish dance.
re: You're NEVER too old! (karma: 1)
By Pixie79 Comments: 249, member since Thu Apr 27, 2006
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 08:49 AM
I saw this thread and I couldn't resist. I'm 26 years old and I began Irish dance almost a year ago. Since then, I have competed in 2 Feisanna (as a beginner in the "__ & Over" categories)and I intend on competing in at least 6 or 7 more this season. Honestly, I think it's a real disservice to tell someone that they cannot obtain a certain level just because they did not start dancing as a fetus. You can do whatever you want, I personally have made a decision to keep dancing til I reach the top. I'm a beginner this year, but I'll be a adv. beginner next year, hopefully quickly moving into novice, etc. If you're going to go all the way, you have to find a teacher who believes in you and your abilities as much as you believe in yourself. I'm just going to continue because I love the dance and because everytime someone places a limit on me, I feel obliged to shatter it. :) If it's something you want, go for it!
By DanceIfYouCan Comments: 28, member since Sun Apr 23, 2006
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:04 AM
It doesn't matter what age you are because with practice you should get better but it would be best to start young so you are not playing catch up with everyone else.
By DancinDiva92 Comments: 64, member since Fri Apr 28, 2006
On Mon May 01, 2006 09:10 AM
WOW great post.I'm 14 and want to start ID but I didn't know wether you had to be a certain age.Now i know you don't!! YAY! :) Thanks!!
By SteamboatDancer Comments: 1, member since Sun May 07, 2006
On Sun May 07, 2006 09:57 PM
I'm 43 and just started competing last fall. I've been dancing "just for fun" for about three years. I decided to start competing so that I could progress more quickly. I've been able to get most of my dances to at least novice and two into prizewinner. So yes, I think you can do it!
By Rincemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1462, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Tue Jun 27, 2006 05:53 PM
My Friend has been irish dancing since she was 4 and she just got her last dance out of Advanced Begginer and has all of her dances in Novice another girl how started 1 1/2 years ago and is 15 has almost all of her dances in Novice and has 2 in Open.
By ceol1 Comments: 51, member since Wed Jun 15, 2005
On Mon Jul 24, 2006 04:36 PM
I started at 28 and am loving every minute of it!!!
By jessicalynn1122 Comments: 212, member since Fri Jun 30, 2006
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:24 PM
SOOO true!! many of the adult dancers at my school are new to irish dancing!! we have a few mothers who start as adults and are winning in competitions!
By Trinity6 Comments: 3, member since Thu Aug 31, 2006
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 09:38 PM
This is an awesome post, it was what really convinced me to try Irish dance even though I am a little older (17). I start my first class on Tuesday and I have never been this excited. Thank you to everyone who has posted because I might have not had the courage to try with out it.
By TogsRUs Comments: 59, member since Fri Jan 27, 2006
On Mon Sep 04, 2006 06:32 AM
I started at 16...My part time job paid for lessons!!! All the other beginners were 4 and 5. I learned much faster...I used to get the next steps from all the 7 year olds so I learned my reel,jig and slip jig in 3 months and got 3 firsts in my first feis 4 months later!!! I think older dancers are more motivated because it is their decision to dance and they understand the steps better...
hi
By fresie Comments: 21, member since Thu Aug 31, 2006
On Fri Sep 08, 2006 02:24 PM
I really like your speach, congrats!!! karma for you!!!
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Sat Sep 09, 2006 09:06 AM
I am 15, and going into my 2nd year of id. When I started, I started with 6 year olds, and when I would leap, my leg would go higher than some of their heads. (lol) But I progressed fast, and I'm pretty much caught up to my age group. I've been placing high in novice at all my feises, so I'm hopeful that before the end of the year I'll have a solo dress. :)
By danca1991 Comments: 71, member since Fri Jan 27, 2006
On Tue Oct 03, 2006 01:02 PM
hi
thanks for this post i turned 14 in september and am starting irish dance on thursday ive always always wanted to do it but i also do other dance so if i go theres no way my mom would considere me in competing but thinking about it i probably would get realy stressted out lol. anyway here ma babling on . You have now made me realise it dosent matter what age you if u have passion u can make it lol ;) xxx
Page:
Page 5 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch