Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 7 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By IrishRunnerPremium member Comments: 69, member since Fri Jan 26, 2007
On Thu Feb 22, 2007 01:58 PM
I'm two months from 30 and began dancing about a year ago, so for I have competed in 3 feisanna so far, in softshoe events. First hardshoe competition will be in May. I started at the inventation of a friend who was going to try something new, before this I had no formal dance beyond high school show choir and community theater. Since I started, I've trippled my classes and my friend dropped out.

My school doesn't have enough adults to be able to offer an adult-only class, so we are mixed with the kids. At first I was slightly uncomfortable as I was a 28 year old male in a room full of 10 and under girls (and I was massively paranoid as to what the parents may have been thinking of me)...after about a month or two a few more adults joined the beginner class, giving me someone else to associate with. As I have moved into the advanced beginner & hardshoe classes, there has been a larger mix of adults and older kids (9ish to mid-late teens). And beyond ID turning in to an activity that I absolutely love, I've found myself more tolerant around kids then I ever used to be haha.

Now my goals are to compete & get as far as I can, and hopefully take up a slot as a TA as the studio grows. The one thing I constantly look forward to during the workweek is my dance class; I even scheduled my travel plans for my next business trip to make sure I am home in time for my evening class. And now I may have made a few more adults around the office & other friends interested, as I can hardly go 5-10 minutes without talking ID.
By MichaelH2 Comments: 5, member since Sun Feb 25, 2007
On Sun Feb 25, 2007 09:02 AM
I definitely agree with the sentiment that it's never too late to start with ID. It's funny that people are considered "old" at 11 and 12 years. :)

If you want to compete and go to Worlds, it'll be harder the older you are, but most adults (defined by me as those people paying their own way through the world) know that just means one will have to work more than a six or 12 year "old". Give it a shot, you don't really know what you're capable of until you give it your all.

If you just want to dance for fun and exercise, you're really never too old.
By gingerjigger Comments: 282, member since Wed Apr 13, 2005
On Sun Feb 25, 2007 02:14 PM
what a fab post! i started when i was 22, i'm now 23! i have been dancing for a year and have done 3 feis' placed first first 12 times, second twice and third once as well as a fourth place in primary. the thought of being beaten by kids certainly makes me work but everyone is lovely when i go to a feis and class is really fun. when the kids help out in class it makes them smile cause they are helping a grown up and as they are more than willing to go over things millions of times its a big help. i would love to go to the worlds but i am willing to take things one step at a time. i would also love to get my tgrc if possible and make sure that all adults are welcome! we shall see what happens! my only real moan is when a feis won't take people over the age of 12 or 16 for begginers and primary. luckily there are enough that will take anyone which is fab! good luck to everyone who is a adult taking it up it is really fun and if you are willing to work it dosn't matter what age you are you can still do it, have fun and love it!
By dancinghobbit Comments: 24, member since Tue May 29, 2007
On Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!! I started my very first dance lessons PERIOD at 19 in a class with a bunch of little children (who had been taking way longer than me), and I felt like an idiot! But it's been a year, and I'm glad I've stuck with it, just because it's fun. I'm not good, and I'm too heavy, but I do it because I want to...why not?
By runORdance Comments: 160, member since Sat Jun 02, 2007
On Wed Jun 06, 2007 01:56 PM
hey thaks for posting that! i started dancing when i was 9-almost-10.(im 16 now) sometimes i feel behind, but i think it teaches you more of an appreciation for hard work than someone who's been in prelims since they were 11. anyone else think so?
By tinydancer3825 Comments: 103, member since Mon Jun 11, 2007
On Mon Jun 11, 2007 09:15 PM
I started when I was 16 and honestly, Irish dance is the ONLY thing that I can honestly say I'm a "natural" at. I think it is because I have more ambition than when I was three and in baton classes and thought "man, I can't wait to get home and watch Sesame Street".
By JuljulIridan Comments: 7, member since Tue Jun 19, 2007
On Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:55 AM
Totaly agree! I started when I was 14. I wish I did earlier, but anyway I'm the youngest in our class: most of the girls are over 18, so...
By MaytoDecember Comments: 55, member since Wed Jun 13, 2007
On Thu Jun 21, 2007 04:34 PM
Thanks for posting, your post is very encouragin to new dancers. I thought I was too old to start because most people at my school had started at 3 or even 2!
By blue_eyed_rascalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 526, member since Thu Mar 03, 2005
On Thu Jun 21, 2007 04:51 PM
I started dancing at 9 which was old for a beginner! I had the advantage of being able to remember and understand what I was being taught much better and easier than the younger beginners who could barely talk let alone walk!! I quickly advanced through the grades but seemed to level off from when I was about 13 until I made a decision to change dancing schools. The change worked perfectly for me and I began to improve in leaps and bounds. Following a few years of frustration of not qualifying I finally didi it at the age of 17 and I danced my first Worlds at age 18. I never worked so hard for anything in my whole life and being that bit older I think the qualifying felt even better! To add to my delight I recalled and placed 24th in my first Worlds - what a feeling!!! I continued to dance in another two worlds since then and have finally hung up my shoes and retired...!

I think that had I started dancing at say 3 or 4 years old I would have long since given up, but because I had slightly more maturity in me when I did start, I enjoyed dancing even more. It was also the fact that it was MY decision at 9 years old to start dancing that made the difference, whereas so many younger dancers seem forced into dancing by their parents through no choice of their own and feel pressurised to please their parents. I experienced none of this pressure and dancing was always what I chose to do myself.

No matter how old you are it's never too late to start. OK, so at 9 I was hardly "old", but in comparison with others I was ancient...! All that matters is that you find something you'll truly enjoy - I certainly did! I'd go through every single blister and pulled muscle again at the drop of a hat if I could! Just GO FOR IT!!!

Katie xx
By AngelRaven Comments: 61, member since Thu Apr 26, 2007
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 04:53 PM
This is one of the most encouraging posts I have ever read. I have always been fascinated by Irish and Highland dancing, but by the time I wanted to take lessons, everyone was telling me that I was too old and would never be any good so why bother. It was heartbreaking. I am now over 30 and have started taking lessons and look forward to advancing through the levels as far as I can go. Though I am by far the oldest student in my school, most of the girls have been very supportive of my efforts. You truly are never to old to learn. Thanks again for a great post!
By Celticdreams Comments: 967, member since Tue Jul 03, 2007
On Tue Jul 03, 2007 03:26 PM
I discovered Irish dance at the age of 21. My college went to Buffalo for the Shamrock 8k road race. We were the Fighting Scots, so thousands of people lined the streets booing at us because we wore scot uniforms, and not irish stuff. While we were waiting for the awards. A bunch of Irish dancers came out and performed.. My college buddies and I were in aww...I had never seen anything like it before, and I am part Irish. Finally, years later I took that first step. I signed up for Ceili lessons in January. So far I have had 6 months of Ceili lessons. Yet, I was not satisfied because my instructor refused to teach me solo. She doesn't think adults should do solo. So in April I found a local Irish dance school that offered adult lessons. There was 2 other adults in the class already. Last week both of the adults could not make lessons so I had lessons with the 1st, and 2nd graders...who are 2nd to 3rd year dancers. :) Hey, not bad after only 3 months ...Im already dancing with 2nd and 3rd year girls. My teacher thinks I'm progressing well.
By Fallenarches Comments: 38, member since Fri Jul 27, 2007
On Fri Jul 27, 2007 08:17 AM
Hi,
I'm 50 and a bit(!) and did ID when I was a small child for about 1 year...once a week. It was back in the days when kids pinned their medals on their sashes and my hard shoes were really soft leather with lots of nail heads in the toes and they laced up like soft shoes do today (and I remeber standing on my toes in them pretending we were ballet dancers!!) I took a term of lessons, again once a week in 2005 with all these little school kids in school uniform at luchtime for a term...but I was too embarrased to order even soft shoes as I felt I was a bit old! ANYWAY...I got sore balls of my feet so quit. Now I learn from tapes, I try to learn from anything I see and I AM going to buy some soft and hard shoes as soon as I can, I figure they will be MY porche! My world cruise! My midlife crisis!!
By YoungDandymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 643, member since Tue Jul 31, 2007
On Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:18 AM
This post, and also the replies, definatly gave me more confidence and boosted my determination to be the best Irish dancer possible. I am 16.. turning 17 in a matter of days, and I am pssionate about Irish Dancing, but am just a beginner. It's a dream of mine to be able to compete and be up there with the top dancers but it seemed as if all the dancers my age had been dancing since they were old enough to walk.
It's good to know there are some like me who are just starting!
I had never been very interested in dance before, but then I foud Irish dancing and it just inspired me and looked like so much fun, I'm so obsessed by it now!
To all the "late starters" out there - I wish you luck in your dance! do what you love no matter what, and maybe one day we'll meet at a feis.
re: You're NEVER too old! (karma: 1)
By momdancesirishmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 296, member since Mon Jan 29, 2007
On Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:14 AM
You are never to old!! Our school owners/TCRG's both started when they were in their mid-late 20's I think 25 and 28... they are both multiple regional champs and multiple world qualifers/champs. They married eachother got their TCRGs and made the cover of Irish dancing magazine....Now with 2 beautiful children and an AWESOME school... they have been my inspiration I started at 28 with a 1 1/2 year old daughter and now at 31 my 5year old is dancing for them B2/Novice and I'm a prizewinner adult "planning" on movin to the &overs next year.. and I have an 18 month old son....Don't give up a dream!!!! Nothing is impossible!
By MrPinksMom Comments: 65, member since Thu May 03, 2007
On Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:19 AM
I've enjoyed reading all these posts so much! I started doing ID when I was in my late 40's, it never ceases to give me joy, and I've made alot of friends, been to alot of feissanna, and have moved up the ranks. There's a wonderful Irish lady in my dance class who is 76, and she does the best St. Patricks Day, and the cutest light jig. She's a real inspiration, and she's performed with us a few times when we've done some shows (Along with her husband who also dances). Anything that you want to do, if you have fun, and desire it enough, you can accomlish. But I must say, it cracks me up to hear some of you 16 year olds saying that you're too old . . . ;), if only I could be 16 again! :P
By wildwoodflowermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 829, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Wed Nov 07, 2007 09:41 PM
AMEN!!!!
Now if only the whole ID community had this mentality. I live a block away from a school (perfect right?) but I have to drive 45 minutes to another school because the school right by my house wont teach anyone over the age of 9 at a beginner level. Granted I am 20 so I guess that makes me very officially an adult, but still, share the ID love why don't cha? It is all for the better, the lady I'm starting with in January is a real sweetheart! ^_^
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1876, member since Wed Dec 12, 2007
On Wed Dec 12, 2007 07:38 PM
Edited by oooshiny (189290) on 2007-12-12 20:28:28 funny story :)
This is such an amazing post!! I agree with everything I've just read from all of you who've posted replies! I started when I was 13 and decided to take an adult intro class because I already had that mental block that said "you're too old to do this" and I hadn't even started yet! After taking the class I realized that I loved everything about Irish dance! The movement, the rhythm, the music, the history and culture -- everything!

After a few years I went to my first feis, when I was 16, and was so disappointed. Because of my age and skill group I danced 4 of my 5 dances by myself and I felt ridiculous. Then about a year ago my adult novice class was integrated into the novice/prizewinner class and I started dancing competitively. Now that I've been competing regularly for almost a year, I'm in open/prizewinner, and my competition experiences have only made me love Irish dance even more!

Thinking back, I remember one day at Girl Scouts when I was 6 this girl and her brother came and did Irish dance for us. My mom asked me if I wanted to sign up to dance at their school but I didn't want to. I think that if my mom had forced me into it (like sooooooo many parents do) I would have quit by the time I was 9 and would have never grown to find this thing that I'm so passionate about now (btw: that girl started her own dance school and has been my teacher for all 6 years of my "career") ;)

Excellent post!
By Rfamily Comments: 5, member since Thu Dec 06, 2007
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 07:44 PM
Thanks for this post! My sister and I wanted to Irish dance so much when we were young but our mother couldn't afford lessons. My sister had a friend who Irish danced and we always watched her in awe. Fast forward to 20 years later and my sister has her daughters enrolled in Irish dance class and I am teaching my children as well as myself. We are all having a great time so for anyone at any age thinking about Irish dancing, go for it! You will love it! :)
By candylover1918 Comments: 1, member since Wed Mar 26, 2008
On Fri Apr 04, 2008 04:55 AM
You are right when you are older you can remember the steps better.

Comment #7048847 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2008-04-04 11:04:37 double post

By PWover50 Comments: 1062, member since Mon Mar 17, 2008
On Sun May 04, 2008 10:23 PM
I am enjoying my ride in Irish Dance - there is nothing to compare! I can't begin to imagine life after ID because I enjoy it so. I started dancing at the tender age of 49, and now, at 53, am a prizewinner dancer! It's never too late to start - come join the dance with all of us. Smile, laugh, struggle, sweat, cry, giggle, and achieve. You are NEVER too old to Irish dance!
By j_llama Comments: 127, member since Thu Aug 07, 2008
On Mon Oct 13, 2008 05:46 PM
i'm 14 and have been toying with the idea of trying some irish, i've been doing highland since i was 7 and i've heard of a lot of people who do both and this thread has been really encourgaing, thanx!
By tinydancer3825 Comments: 103, member since Mon Jun 11, 2007
On Mon Oct 13, 2008 05:54 PM
j_llama wrote:

i'm 14 and have been toying with the idea of trying some irish, i've been doing highland since i was 7 and i've heard of a lot of people who do both and this thread has been really encourgaing, thanx!

I'm an Irish dancer and I REALLY want to try Highland! It looks sooooo much harder than Irish, though.
By StreetDancer2008 Comments: 1, member since Tue Oct 14, 2008
On Tue Oct 14, 2008 04:58 PM
Hey, I started Irish dancing when i was just 3 yrs old and worked real hard for the next 10 years however i had an accident and left irish dancing for a while it was only supposed to be for about a year but i kinda started to hang round with the round crowd who would have laughed at me doing irish dancing at 14/15 so i never went back but now i am regretting it i am 19 (20 next yr) and me and my cousin have always had the same ambition to compete in the all ireland championships (my cousin is a runner and wanted to run in the ireland championships - which he done last yr and came 2 nd) and it kinda made me realise that i hadn't done my dream but then i started to think well who cares i'm to old now but this post actually made me realise you're never to old to do anything so thanks guys i am gonna go back to irish dancing now and you are the ones that helped me decide.

Oh and is there any dancers from edinburgh here that no of any dance schools as i am not sure if my old one is still running. My email address is streetdancer2008@live.co.uk

Thanks

Danielle
By ashdancer Comments: 6, member since Tue Nov 04, 2008
On Thu Nov 06, 2008 08:43 AM
Thank you so much, was reconsidering starting back after 12 years and was nervous that at 21 I was too old now. After that post, I know I need to go back or I will regret it. Thank you x
Page:
Page 7 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch