Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 8 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By SoSunnymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Sun Dec 07, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:33 PM
Thank you thank you! I am 29 and just now starting ID, something I really wanted to do when I was younger. Even if I have to take classes with little kids, I won't feel lonely because I know there are so many older ID'ers here on this board! Thanks so much for the inspirations! :D
By dancinghobbit Comments: 24, member since Tue May 29, 2007
On Tue Dec 16, 2008 06:48 PM
People sometimes forget what the POINT of dancing is. I started when I was 19. I had always wanted to and had never been allowed to. I haven't competed and may never compete...but why shouldn't I dance? What, am I too old to learn?

Good post!
By dancerkatie Comments: 50, member since Sat Dec 27, 2008
On Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 AM
this dancing is my life nobodys really bothred how old you are
By Kate_79 Comments: 41, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 09:13 AM
I agree, awesome post! It makes me feel so much better to know that eventhough I'm 29, there's hope for me!

I'd have loved to taken ID before but I've never lived anywhere that's offered classes. So glad an adult class popped up around here, even if I'm really green since I've never done any dance at all before. lol

Everything will click eventually, I hope! :)
By MollyFlaptoes Comments: 3, member since Mon Mar 02, 2009
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:24 PM
I was 52 on Sunday and am learning Irish dance.
It makes me feel fantastic and is keeping me fit. Well done to all of you 'late starters!'
I have been using black ballet slippers with two bands of elastic criss-crossed; but my first pair of Ghillies (Boyne Walk) arrived today. I ordered them using a measuring guide and they seem fine - but somehow not as soft as I expected.
I've had them on for 8 hours and hope that you can all assure me that they will feel more comfortable after a couple of weeks!
By ceiliqueen23member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 206, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 04:13 PM
i'm glad you posted this i've been doing ceili for ablot three years but at 25 will start step on monday and this has mad me feel better about my age
On Mon Mar 30, 2009 04:58 AM
I'm so glad that you feel reassured ceiliqueen23.
I have recently taken up horse-riding too. The memory of an awful riding lesson (when I was about 12) almost put me off- but if you want do do something enough - you should do it while you have your health - regardless of age.
I haven't found a dance teacher yet, but can highly recommend Olive Hurley's Volume I and II lessons on DVD.
My hubby built a huge deck in our garden a few years ago; little did he know that he was making a stage for me!
Love and good luck to all my fellow newbies.
PS I'm going to be a granny in May - we know that she's a little girl - so hopefully I'll be able to teach her a few steps later on.......
By PWover50 Comments: 1062, member since Mon Mar 17, 2008
On Tue Mar 31, 2009 03:41 PM
Mollyflaptoes - congrats on a little Irish dancer in your future. You can start thinking about doing 2-hands and designing her solo dress LOL!

As long as we can hear the music and feel it's beat calling to us, as long as our legs and feet can move with a degree of steadiness, we're able to dance - and dance we must! If you're drawing a breath, you're never too old to Irish dance!
On Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:20 PM
PWover50,that's a beautiful sentiment!
As it happens, I gave myself a refresher course in dressmaking (Dressmaking for Dummies) so I could make my Mother-of-the Groom dress last year.
On reading around the subject of Irish dance; I er- found myself browsing for dance dress patterns. I'd be quite happy to turn out in something dark and velvet - but the dresses for youngsters are amazing!
I make jointed teddy bears, so my first gift to my little grandaughter will be one of these; although I could dress the bear as a dancer......
I'll be going home to Sligo for a visit in the autumn - so I might just get some fabrics to store away.
By Ashurie Comments: 7, member since Sun Apr 19, 2009
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 06:03 AM
I love dancing~
I have done Ballet and Jazz when I was 7-8 y/o, Tap when I was 15-18 and now I am 22, I am taking up ID. I have always loved and interested in it ever since I saw Riverdance about 15 years ago. I am still going through stuff with my to be school, and I honestly can't wait!! I have dancing sneakers to use for my first lesson/s.
By AnitaSoftie Comments: 58, member since Thu Apr 30, 2009
On Sun May 03, 2009 05:18 AM
yes. I agree. I started wehn I was 17teen and my teacher said: Ou u re so old. but I dont mind:) that I m still not very good and I have never been on any performance
great idea Dani
By LadybugDancer Comments: 161, member since Thu Jul 09, 2009
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 08:37 PM
This is such a wonderful post - thanks so much for posting it! I have started ID this year and I am 24.... I have always wanted to take this style but life hadn't allowed me to do it until now. I am so happy I am too! I'm so glad I have found DDN as well because now I have so many people I can talk with about these things!
By Aodhan Comments: 35, member since Tue Nov 24, 2009
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 03:14 PM
LadybugDancer wrote:

This is such a wonderful post - thanks so much for posting it! I have started ID this year and I am 24.... I have always wanted to take this style but life hadn't allowed me to do it until now. I am so happy I am too! I'm so glad I have found DDN as well because now I have so many people I can talk with about these things!

I agree, excellent post! I'm "starting over" in the &Overs from the adult classification. I did my first Irish dancing when I was 36, off and on for a few years, and am starting out again at the age of 42!

John
By jamacia2606Premium member Comments: 97, member since Fri Jan 29, 2010
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 08:15 AM
I would love to start irish dancing, it looks really good. But I am nearly 18 and I dont know if I am too old to start now.

Comment #8832403 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2010-02-16 10:23:50 double post

By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 04:22 PM
If you read all the above posts, you would find out that you are not too old. A few world champs started in their late teens, and many dancers that love dance and love to irish dance started in their late teens, 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's.

So if you want to, just do it!
By fraser13 Comments: 1, member since Wed Mar 10, 2010
On Wed Mar 10, 2010 05:54 PM
Thanks for that post :)
I tried Irish dancing when I was 11, and loved it, but I was really embarrassed at being 6 years older than everyone else. Now I'm 15 and really want to start again, but I was once more nervous about the age thing. This post has inspired me go out and do it :)
By Georgy Comments: 14, member since Tue Feb 09, 2010
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 01:02 AM
great post :) thanks
i started when I was 19 - six months ago now - and am absolutely loving it. the best was to keep fit and have fun. NO adult should be discouraged just because of age!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 04:47 PM
Wow! Thanks for this post! It has given me my confidence back. I was starting to worry about the fact I was too old. I have been trying to get all my uni friends involved and get them into ID but they are having none of it. They take the mickey out of me, but I dont care as I think they are just jealous! I love ID and I dont care how old I am!
By Irishdancers Comments: 21, member since Sat Mar 27, 2010
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 09:34 PM
No matter what age you are, you can learn Irish dance,make it a family event, you will all love it and can even compete as a family.
By GraniaPremium member Comments: 599, member since Wed Dec 12, 2001
On Sat Apr 03, 2010 03:42 PM
Thanks so much, Dani! I didn't set foot in a studio until I was twelve...and various challenges, like not having a teacher, kept me from pursuing it consistently the way I wanted to...not to mention having physical challenges like cerebral palsy.

I think it's so great that you're encouraging people to dance regardless of their circumstances. I get so discouraged sometimes when I read about how Jean Butler started dancing from an early age and pursued dancing for years...or reading about kids younger than me who have been dancing since age three and have the benefit of a real teacher.

You made me smile! Thank you!

~Grania
By lovesbostons Comments: 30, member since Mon May 04, 2009
On Mon Apr 19, 2010 03:54 AM
Wonderful post and to learn such beautiful dancing is an amazing feat. I don't think you can ever be too old to dance!
By tonihowe Comments: 32, member since Sat Sep 19, 2009
On Mon Apr 26, 2010 06:17 AM
I started Irish dancing at 15. I told my teacher I'd like to compete and go to international competitions etc. Even she said it would be unlikely (thats bad I know).
6 months later i was in open.
2 years later I had beat world medal holders.
I've qualified for world and taken 1sts at regionals.

Theres a dancer in my region who came back as a senior dancer after taken a few years out to have a baby. She worked her butt of and won nationals and got 5th at worlds.

There was a guy in my school who started at 18 after teaching himself moves from watching riverdance, lord of the dance etc. He placed 3rd at nationals and qualified for worlds. Got into a show and worked his way up to being the lead and then achieved his dream of making it into Lord of the dance and he's in the main group of dancers (the like secondary leads)

A man who started dancing in his 30's won our regionals one year and got to dance at worlds!

Just some inspiring stories for you
So its never to late guys
By brea247 Comments: 43, member since Fri Sep 25, 2009
On Fri Apr 30, 2010 08:04 PM
This post is amazingly helpful!! I just started yesterday! Im fourteen. And i think this dance is so much fun and alot of work! I'm so glad you posted this! It helped alot :)
By IrishDancer1495 Comments: 42, member since Sat Apr 03, 2010
On Sat May 01, 2010 10:22 AM
Thank you so much for your post, I've been dancing since I was eleven and always felt that I should have started earlier. When I started really dancing at a real school, not just side classes, I almost quit because I was in all beginner/advanced beginner classes and I was always, always the oldest. Think: one single twelve year old among a bunch of six year olds. But now I really enjoy my classes and all the little kids look up to me, which is just so sweet. Thank you again, you reinforced my decision to keep dancing!
Page:
Page 8 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch