Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 9 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
re: You're NEVER too old!
By Joyette78 Comments: 185, member since Mon Aug 31, 2009
On Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 AM
I did parks and rec dance classes growing up and was on a competitive dance team in high school. I remember being crushed when I my competition days were over. (Irish dance wasn't even on my radar at the time.) Speed ahead past college and eight years into my career, Irish dance fell into my lap last year by a lucky coincidence. I'm excited that I get another chance to be on stage and dance! All the dancers on this board who have such encouraging stories about starting later and placing at competitions give me hope. I just registered for my first feis and can't wait for June to get here!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Wed May 05, 2010 06:39 AM
I was just reading through other school's websites and I came upon this from BFOC.

Alisa Garber began taking lessons at the age of 18. While completing a bachelor's degree in English at San Diego State University, she trained with Jeannie Thornton-O'Connor and competed extensively. Alisa qualified for the World Championships four times and participated in the 2002 championships in Glasgow, Scotland. She also reached as high as 2nd place at the Western US Regional championships, and 15th at the North American championships. At the age of 27 she decided it was time to retire from competition and pursue her TCRG certification which she achieved in 2006. Alisa teaches children and adults and enjoys choreography and performing.

I know 18 isn't old by any means, but in the world of dance sometimes it can seem like anyone over 12 is old! So this bio just goes to show that anyone can do it. It doesn't matter how old you are, you can still accomplish great things if you have the right attitude.

www.fearon-oconnor.com . . .
By awb4130578 Comments: 32, member since Tue Apr 07, 2009
On Fri May 14, 2010 09:09 PM
If your never too old then how come some schools won't let kids over the age of 13 join a beginner's class or have an adult class? And if they do have an adult class how come some schools won't let their adults compete? I'm 21, an adult, but definitley not too old to compete. I'm only 3 years older than the 18 year olds and they get to compete... Lucky them=]

One school by me has an adult class but it is non-competitive. If I join this school I can not compete=[ Another school where I live also has a non-competitive ID class (for fun only) and if I joined that school I could also not compete. And at that dance school no one competes over the age of 18=[

And those are the only schools by me that I can attend that take adult classes=[
By fleshjazzpants Comments: 26, member since Thu Nov 26, 2009
On Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 PM
I have never tried Irish but I know it will be fun! Have fun!
By GeoDancing Comments: 3, member since Fri May 21, 2010
On Fri May 21, 2010 03:57 AM
I've just re-started Irish dancing at the age of 19 and I absolutely love it. I danced for a year when I was a little kid but had to quit when we moved to somewhere about 100 miles from the nearest Irish dance schools. Now I'm at university in a city and I've found a great adult class. :)
I seem to be picking up steps reasonably quickly - although my flexibility and stamina is not what it used to be. Definitely have to work on that!
By Finnegan Comments: 325, member since Tue May 25, 2010
On Tue May 25, 2010 08:38 PM
Wonderful thread! I am just starting Irish Dance for the first time in my 30's. I used to do gymnastics and dance when I was very young, but no Irish Dance at all. My family emmigrated from County Armagh, Ireland and I've always wanted to Irish dance but just never got around to it. Then I got cancer and it turned my world inside out. After 3 years of surgery and follow-up treatment I am happy to say that I am now cancer free. Having gone through this made me more determinded than ever to make sure I try the things I want to do in life NOW before it's too late. My lessons start in June and I'm hoping I'll have the coordination and stamina to handle it. I've lost a lot of my flexibilty over the years so I'm trying to do some working out and stretching exercise ahead of time.
Thanks to all of you who have given me so much inspiration in this thread.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 PM
www.dance.net . . .

If you can compete in your 70's, then you are never too old to start Irish dancing! :)
By AmandaIris Comments: 5, member since Sat May 01, 2010
On Fri Dec 03, 2010 04:15 PM
Started Irish at the ripe old age of 21. No regrets here. Sure I may never grace the likes of a National championship or any thing, but I love it all the same.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Dec 03, 2010 05:12 PM
Never say never x
By dancingbarista Comments: 101, member since Sat Oct 09, 2010
On Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:37 PM
wow! how have i not found this thread before? Thankyou to everyone who's posted! This is so amazing! It's easy to get discouraged see posts where dancers get into champs in three or even 2 years but this makes it all better :)
By Leapster Comments: 5, member since Wed Oct 12, 2011
On Thu Oct 13, 2011 07:23 PM
Shadowlunacat, I will be 37 this month and just started last week!! It's hard work, sweaty, and will take me a while just to get into decent shape, but I picked up a whole jig and the first step of the reel my 9yr. old is doing at the Beginner 2 level, and I plan to do much more... I say go for it!!!
By AnRinceoirRuamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 20, 2010
On Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:23 PM
Thank you for debunking this ridiculous myth. I actually wasn't aware that there is some age discrimination in the Irish dance community until I started dancing. Never crossed my mind that some might consider 19 too "old" to start learning. And I think it's sad that some people are discouraged from pursuing their Irish dance dreams for that reason. I'm lucky to be surrounded by people who support my passion and invest in me as much as the little ones.

Excellent post!
By irishdanceforevr Comments: 61, member since Tue Jan 24, 2012
On Tue Jan 24, 2012 05:29 PM
I have a friend who dances and her mom dances too!She loves it! She sais it helps her stress levles go down and its a fun way to get exersize! She has told me that it makes her feel healthier and like she isn't getting older at all. I think she is really happy to be doing somthing good for her heart that is so much fun!
By celticlove555 Comments: 8, member since Tue Mar 27, 2012
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 05:53 PM
This is very inspiring. I'm a 16 year old beginner (I started when I was 15 in September of '11) and have only been in one feis so far. However, this reminded me of how much I love the art of Irish dance and how important it truly is for me. I will give you karma when I have 50 comments! :3
By KrystalGhilliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 710, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:37 PM
Saw this video and instantly thought of this thread.

sports.yahoo.com . . .

As an older dancer competing against younger ones-sometimes 10 years younger than me-facing an aging body and multiple injuries, it gets to your head sometimes. It's much more difficult to push past and deal with than most dancers can understand (since most dancers are young, lets just be honest.)

In the end, we adult dancers, wether we are competing in Adults or "And Overs" have to push ourselves a lot just to overcome something that might simply be dismissed as "easy" by one of those young dancers.

I saw this clip and I thought "Man, if she can do ALL that at 86, what EVER makes me convince myself I'm getting too old when I've yet to even reach 30?"

We can't let anything convince us we are not able to go further, push harder, or dance better than we are at the moment. There have been lots of times lately where I think "I am never going to get any better." Or "I'm fighting a losing battle since I just keep getting older and dancing just keeps getting harder. And my competitors keep getting younger. And more and more world champs keep filtering into my competition at majors and making my goals less and less unattainable."

Well, we can't think like that. It doesn't help and does nothing for our dancing. This woman inspired me and I just wanted to share. Hope anyone who might be having a difficult time like me gets some inspiration as well.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:43 PM
^ I saw that video too. She is amazing and inspiring.

I work with elderly people in a nursing home and the difference between her and them (and most 86 year olds) is astronomical. I want the difference between Irish dancing me and all the other 48 year olds out there to be astronomical too!
By scrapola Comments: 35, member since Fri Jan 06, 2012
On Mon May 14, 2012 10:25 AM
Great post!
By scrapola Comments: 35, member since Fri Jan 06, 2012
On Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 AM
I agree. I teach beginers and they older pre-teen beginners tend to move very quickly. I have 2 twelve year olds in my class that have all of their softshoe dances learned already. I have some yonger dancers that still don't have all their dances learned and skip parts of them as well.
By Reelgirl00 Comments: 39, member since Sun Apr 28, 2013
On Wed May 01, 2013 03:48 PM
Great, inspiring post! I started at age eleven, and feising at age 12 (U12 beginner is a real solo competition-ha!) This post encouraged me to keep on dancing! I would give you karma, but I can't. :( I will when I can!!!
By Reelgirl00 Comments: 39, member since Sun Apr 28, 2013
On Wed May 01, 2013 03:50 PM
Great, inspiring post! I started at age eleven, and feising at age 12 (U12 beginner is a real solo competition-ha!) This post encouraged me to keep on dancing! I would give you karma, but I can't. :( I will when I can!!!
By chatte1238 Comments: 52, member since Thu Oct 04, 2012
On Wed May 01, 2013 07:41 PM
Edited by chatte1238 (254101) on 2013-05-01 19:42:42
O21 beginner is also a real competition bracket for solos, and that's where I started. ;)
By Bubble3 Comments: 3, member since Sun Jul 14, 2013
On Sun Jul 14, 2013 05:10 AM
Hi,I'm just woundering is there any Irish dancing adult classes for beginners in wa thanks
By ELLS Comments: 20, member since Sun Aug 18, 2013
On Sun Dec 29, 2013 02:42 PM
Are the costumes expensive for this type of dance? :)
By tinydancer1988 Comments: 125, member since Mon Oct 21, 2013
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 08:44 AM
Ells... um, well, it really depends. If you're just doing shows then, no, usually not very expensive (depending on what your school wears- my old school used to just pick out nice tops and a black skirt, or we made wrap skirts one time). School dresses can set you back $500-$900 depending on where you go, but some schools let you rent or borrow the dress.

Solo dresses for competition can cost anywhere from around $100 (buy a leotard and a skirt), all the way up to $3500 for a custom made solo dress shipped from Ireland. So, the answer really depends on where you go, what you're doing, how involved you are, and how much you're willing to spend.
re: You're NEVER too old! (karma: 2)
By celticwhim Comments: 19, member since Thu Jan 16, 2014
On Thu Jan 16, 2014 04:35 PM
I think it really stinks that so many schools will not let their adults compete or even have adult classes at all! Irish dance should not be reserved for children. It is a cultural dance that has survived many generations (albeit many alterations as well) and should be enjoyed by everyone. The Irish Dance world has had a severe down drop in the community especially in the States due to the recession and you would think that the people and schools who put on feisanna would welcome new dancers whatever the age. I started at 34 years old after spending my whole childhood wishing my parents had the money and that I had that opportunity(there was no schools anywhere near where I lived) to be able to learn it. From the moment my daughter was born I dreamed about HER taking it as well, but again couldn't afford to drive very far to the closest school. My dream became a reality in 2010 when a school moved a branch to my town. My daughter danced for a year and I sat there wishing I could do it. We had a few adult dancers at that time, but I thought " I would never be able to do that now! I'm too old, too big, too clumsy, too shy!" My T.C.R.G. could see how badly I "secretly" want to start. She had a heart to heart with me and basically talked me into it. It was one of the best things anyone ever did for me! I don't even know what I would do if I didn't have dance now. I have lost weight, gained strength, endurance and agility, overcome so many self-esteem issues (still woking on some) and made a new family! I seriously think that the adults in our school have more fun than the kids. How can a community deny this to people? I think EVERY school should teach adults! No excuses! They don't have to have a special adult class, I've been dancing along side my daughter and all the other kids 4 and over from the beginning and I wouldn't change it! I am SO glad that my school accepts and EMBRACES adults because even though it is tough, and hard at times, and sometimes I feel like throwing my hardshoes out the studio window, I am having the time of my life!!!!
Page:
Page 9 of 101 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

ReplySendWatch