Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Girls & Guys
Brought to you by DLS another FAQ: Braces (karma: 18)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Aug 02, 2004 09:36 PM
Edited by DarkLilSunShine (36942) on 2004-08-02 21:37:37
Edited by DarkLilSunShine (36942) on 2004-08-02 21:39:09
Edited by DarkLilSunShine (36942) on 2004-08-02 21:51:02
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-08-02 21:53:15 I was just about to post my own FAQ that I'd been working on. Yours is much better then mine. :D

Braces; A FAQ

Yay, another FAQ brought to you by DLS. Someone brought up how there are a lot of posts about braces and how there ought to be a sticky about them or a FAQ about them, so that is what I am here for. I’ve had braces for over 3 years, and I figured I’ve been through a lot with these babies.

When I first get my braces, will it hurt?

I am not going to lie. From talking to other people and feeling it myself, it does hurt. Different people have different pain tolerance levels and while I feel I have a pretty high one, for some reason these braces really affected me. I can tell you, it hurt me, but it may not hurt you as much as it hurt me.

I just got my braces, what should I eat?

The best thing that I ate was things such as applesauce, pudding, cereal after getting soggy, and peanut butter and jelly. Anything soft. Think, foods that a toddler can probably eat.

I HATE how I look with braces.–cry-

Well, I am sorry. I don’t know about you, but I would rather wear braces for a while then have bad looking teeth for the rest of my life. As you have them longer, you adapt to them. I don’t feel mine anymore, I look in the mirror and I rarely even notice them. I actually can’t really picture myself without them.

What with members of the opposite sex think about me?

Why do you care? If a guy/girl doesn’t like you because you have braces, do you really want this person to be in your life? If this person is SO judgmental, don’t you think he/she isn’t worth your time?

Image hotlink - 'http://www.archwired.com/images/Jan2004aPoll.jpg'

What can I not eat?

Personally, I don’t really go by that list. I think I looked at my list of things not to eat once and never did again. This is me being a bad influence. The only food that has pulled off anything of mine was the candies Milk Duds. That is the one thing I would stay away from. They are bad. I chew gum all the time, I eat popcorn, I eat caramels, I just make sure that I brush my teeth and use my waterpik afterwards.

When I get colours put on my brackets, what colours should I wear?

In my experience, neon colours look really well. Black makes teeth look like the have plaque, white makes teeth look less white in comparison, and some other colours fade. I’ve had black, white, neon green, bright blue, light purple, dark purple, neon orange, and red. So far, my favorites have been the green and the orange. Fool around with the colours and see how it looks.

What about rubber bands? Why do I need to wear them?

Well, that is my big problem right now. I have to go to the orthodontist tomorrow and I keep forgetting to wear my rubber bands. I did some research and found out the purpose of rubber bands. According to www.orthodontics.org . . . “Attached to your braces, elastics exert the force that creates the right amount of pressure to move teeth in directions that the braces alone can't. A lack of consistency in wearing rubber bands can bring treatment to a standstill and who wants to do that to themselves.”

Parts of the braces

Arch wire

The arch wire is the wire that goes across your brackets. There are different types of wires, the further into the braces process you get, the “thicker” your wire, the more pressure there is on your braces, therefore the more your teeth move.

Ligature

A ligature (also called an "o-ring") is a tiny elastic that holds the arch wire onto each bracket of your braces. Ligatures come in a variety of colors. Some brackets are "self-ligating," which means that they do not need the little elastics to hold the arch wire onto the brackets. I personally don’t have ligatures, and I don’t know anyone that does, but some people have brackets with them on them.

How do braces work?

Directly from: www.archwired.com . . .

The teeth move when the arch wire puts pressure on the brackets and teeth. Sometimes, springs or rubber bands are used exert more force in a specific direction. Braces exert constant pressure, which over time, move teeth into their proper positions. Occasionally adults may need to wear headgear to keep certain teeth from moving

Your teeth are surrounded on top by gum tissue (also called Gingiva). Under the gum tissue, the Periodontal Membrane (sometimes called the Periodontal Ligament or PDL) encases the bottom portion of the tooth. Next to that lies Alveolar Bone.

When braces put pressure on your teeth, the periodontal membrane stretches on one side and is compressed on the other. This loosens the tooth. The bone then grows in to support the tooth in its new position. Technically, this is called bone remodeling.

Other stuff

What is wax for?

Wax is put on the brackets so that there is minimal contact between the cheeks and the brackets. I personally wouldn’t use it much when I first get the braces on, due to the fact that your lips/cheeks are going to have to toughen up and get used to the brackets sometime. The only time I use wax is if I have some bracket that feels like cutting me up for some reason.

How do I floss my teeth?

Flossing, I hate to say, is a pain in the butt with braces. It is especially hard for people like me with small mouths and tight cheeks. Your orthodontist should have gone over this with you, but if you were like me, you may not have listened or was just zoning out. To floss, you have to have floss threaders. Okay, I lied, you don’t have to have one, but it helps, a lot. Thread the floss through the hole of the threader, and slide it under/over the arch wire between each tooth, floss as normal, then remove it, continuing with the rest of your teeth.

BYE!

Well, that is all I have to say for now. If anyone else has any other questions, some other member that has braces/had braces or I will try to answer them asap.

91 Replies to Brought to you by DLS another FAQ: Braces

re: Brought to you by DLS another FAQ: Braces (karma: 1)
By OhYeahTappermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 565, member since Sat Nov 15, 2003
On Mon Aug 02, 2004 09:43 PM
Thank you, awesome post.

I've had my braces for over a year now, and I still have about 10 months left in them, but that's still good info.

And hopefully this will cut down on the "Do braces hurt?/I hate my braces!" type posts.
re: Brought to you by DLS another FAQ: Braces
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:29 PM
Edited by funky__munky (92936) on 2004-08-02 22:31:08
Well done DLS on finally making a sticky board about braces!!

*** applause ***

I had braces for two years and if I had this post, I'm sure they would have been a lot easier!

Here are my before, during and after pictures!!

BEFORE

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/funky__munky/before.jpg'

DURING

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/funky__munky/during.jpg'

AFTER

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/funky__munky/after.jpg'

Like DLS said, it is worth having braces on for only a little while than to have ugly teeth for the rest of your life! :D

Keep smiling!! :D
By Jamaican_Dancer3 Comments: 75, member since Mon Jul 26, 2004
On Fri Aug 06, 2004 09:51 AM
One BIG Tip, as much as it hurts, do it. I got EVERYTHING, from bite plate to headgear. I hardly wore it because I was shy and embarrased but now i'm getting my braces off, 4 months early!
only 14 more days and counting,
By dancingmaniac Comments: 1395, member since Sat Aug 16, 2003
On Fri Aug 06, 2004 03:18 PM
Wow. Thanks so much for once again, giving us another great FAQ! Great job!

~dm
By highlandhottiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3774, member since Mon Dec 15, 2003
On Sat Aug 07, 2004 06:11 PM
thank you!! i'm really bad at stuff like that so i'm glad someone made a sticky about braces! i had them for almost 4 years, got them in grade 5, i was 10 years old and got them off when i was 14 and in grade 8(near the end). i didn't really mind them at all and although they did bother me now i love the results. i'm now 17 and going into grade 12 so it's been a while since i've had them
By groovytwinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14170, member since Fri Dec 26, 2003
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 07:55 AM
thanks DarkLilSunshine

Im getting braces at christmas time and im dreading it and i did a post about braces. Sorry!

anyways, thank you for this post it really helped.

xx
By LisaDaNcErmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2402, member since Sun Jan 26, 2003
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 04:45 PM
Hi! :)

I had braces some years ago, for one year! :)
When I first got a notice about getting them on I was SOO upset, but I'm really glad I had them!
I dont know how it is where yous live, but here we get a retainer which we should use every night.
I've been really stupid and not used mine for about nearly a year :( And when I was on holiday I realised that my teeth had moved a bit back, so now I got the retainer back on and it Hurts So Much! :C
My teeth are loose as they were when I first got my braces on and I'm in soo much pain!! lol I just have to get this off my chest.

I really hope my teeth go back to normal after i used it now, so i dont have to get the braces Again! ahhh I've been So stupid not using them!
So I recommend to Everyone that you Use the retainer for Ages! ;)

Love, Lisa xxxx
By DancingDiamondmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1522, member since Sun Jun 01, 2003
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:21 AM
Tnx for this DLS!
Oh and Funky__munky , your teeth look great now!
What a difference!
Looks like a real celebirity smile :D!Gorgeous!
By Mandydncr44 Comments: 84, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:48 PM
Braces are definately worth it. If you just got them or got them tightened I recomend taking some Tylenol before dance. I found out the hard way thatjumping,tightening muscles and being tired make yur teeth hurt alot more. And if you're supposed to get a Herbst appliance, think twice and ask your ortho about headgear instead. Not to scare anyone but I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did with that awful appliance!

Great post!
By tapaholic422 Comments: 27, member since Wed Aug 18, 2004
On Sun Aug 29, 2004 07:12 PM
Thank you SO much. I think it's so important for people to talk about braces and I think it's awesome that people finally have a place to go to ask questions and get TRUE answers. I've had braces for 3 years (getting them off in November) and when I first got them I went to my friends and said, "Do they hurt?" Everyone looked at me and went "oh no they're fine." LIARS! They do hurt because your teeth are shifting. No pain no gain!
By Little_MissJmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11220, member since Thu Jul 17, 2003
On Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:21 AM
Heya

Aww i SO wished i read this when i had my braces!
I had my braces on for a year and had them off February of this year.
I wish i'd kept them on much longer now! because my teeth probably would've been a bit better! Saying that it's a nbig improvemnet anyway! lol

lv Jodie x x x
Brought to you by DLS another FAQ: Braces
By bre_2_3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2239, member since Fri Jul 18, 2003
On Wed Oct 27, 2004 05:07 PM
i second the wearing of retainers!!!(well, that and everything else darklilsunshine said). other than the fact that 1) you'd probably have to get braces again if you don't wear them, and 2)your parents, or whoever paid for them, would not be pleased paying for the next set of braces, retainers don't suck that much. they're kind of annoying, but once you pop them in, you don't have to think about them till you take them out. they don't really hurt unless you haven't worn them for a while. but i'd rather wear a retainer half the time(my prescribed "dosage" of retainers) than get braces again. all in all, my orthodontic experience was a positive one, even with the pain and all because my teeth look(ed) basically the same as funkymunky's, and it's quite an improvement. yay for braces!
By LadyofDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 80, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:12 AM
Thanx for putting a faq about braces. I had mine over a year now and I had to find out some of those things the hard way. lol but thanx again.
By juliaharnettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 117, member since Sat Oct 30, 2004
On Tue Nov 09, 2004 07:02 PM
good post! 2 years of braces was def. worth it. I've gotten quite a few compliments on my teeth, and i give all of the credit to my dad''s cheque book. lol
By cantlivewithoutmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 166, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Wed Nov 10, 2004 08:38 PM
Thank you, thank you! Great post. I am most likely getting braces soon and it's good to know all of that stuff now!

cantlivewithout-dancing
*manda*
By TwirlerJEM Comments: 20, member since Tue Nov 09, 2004
On Mon Nov 15, 2004 04:08 PM
awesome post!
By highalndboarder Comments: 21, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Thu Nov 25, 2004 04:39 PM
BRACES ROCK! haha i had them for 2 years but it was worth it! i think the hardest part now is remembering to wear my retainer...its so anoying, and it makes u slur and drool...haha and since i talk alot it bugs me, so i tend to just wear it at night! =D Well awesome post!
By raindancer Comments: 3270, member since Sun Jun 16, 2002
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:35 AM
Great post :). Another rubberband colour to definitely avoid is yellow...trust me on this one.

^raindancer
By ballerina4eva66 Comments: 66, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Mon Dec 20, 2004 05:02 AM
I have braces and iv had them for like over a month now. Its no big deal, i dont think i barley look any diffrent. I was so woried b4 geting them I even tried to cancel the appointment, and now im happy it didnt get canceld. But anyway, to anyone whos getting braces, just dont worrie just think about the outcome....youll have perfect teeth!!!!

xxxxxxx
By erickamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 717, member since Wed Oct 22, 2003
On Sat Dec 25, 2004 02:54 PM
I had braces put on January 5th last year. I am approachign my first year anniversary with braces lol! i should get them off in June - then they will be nice for my prom yay!!! i cant wait! my teeth aren't very white but they are very straight. when they take my braces off im going to get my teeth whitened yay! great post well done. Luv ericka xxxx
hi
By mikki3member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1237, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Tue Dec 28, 2004 06:36 AM
hi i just got braces in november and i need to keep them on for 2 years then i get them took of then i get another one for a year.... i didnt find it sore when i got mine on but my mouth was a bit sore afterwards though lol.... i am glad i got braces cause i would just love to have lovely teeth cant wait till i get them off so i can see what my teeth look like.... your post is great by the way it was a great idea...
bye mikki
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5658, member since Mon Jul 21, 2003
On Tue Dec 28, 2004 07:12 AM
Hiya
thats another one of your great posts made stickies!
i am still thinking about getting braces, my teeth are quite straight, but i am looking at the modeling career and models have to have perfect teeth, all of my friends have had/have braces, its practically a fashion.
I dont know what to do tho :? get them or not?
love
Lauren
x-x0x0x-x
By pirouette4fun Comments: 6, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 04:30 PM
thanx for the great post! im getting braces on in 4 days... im kinda wierd in the way that i think braces look cool... :)
By miss_liss Comments: 341, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Tue Jan 18, 2005 09:25 AM
i had clear ones coz i do alot of performing they didnt hurt and no one noticed.. so good luck you can eat most things just brush
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch