Forum: General / Hip Hop / Popping

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Popping
***Popping Tutorial*** (karma: 8)
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Thu Aug 05, 2004 01:36 AM
Made sticky by linh (3) on 2004-08-05 03:30:12 member request, feel free to reply and add to this informative post everybody

Popping: The umbrella term for a group of dance styles originally done to funk music (George Clinton, Parliament Funkadelics, Gap Band, Fatback Band, etc...)
The actual "pop" of popping is a technique called hitting. It is used to accent the snare, clap or clack sound that is played on the 2nd and 4th beat of every measure (known as the off beat).

Hitting is the quick tensing and relaxing of key muscle groups to create a surging stop. If u stop a motion without a hit, it is called a dimestop.
The general concensus in the Funkstyles community is that popping is when you are continuously hitting to the beat (hitting on each count).

There are many styles of popping (here I am using the umbrella term). These are (and I'll try to list all of them):
Boogaloo and Bay Area Styles
Tutting
Boogaloo
Scarecrow
Puppet
Toyman
Fresno
Filmore
Sticking
Saccing
Hitting
Illusional Styles (Popping and Electric Boogie Styles)
Floating/gliding
Waving
Centepede
Spiderman
Miming
Ticking
Strobing
Animation
Robot (Botting and also Bopping-robot with a hit and character)
Hitting

This list is all i can remember at the moment. I will post a breakdown of each style (meaning a description of it, but not necessarily HOW TO DO IT).
Hope this helps all u newbies, and it stops the questions of "what is popping?" Lol. Enjoy peoples.
Invent
Funkacidal Maniacs Crew

81 Replies to ***Popping Tutorial***

re: ***Popping Tutorial*** (karma: 1)
On Thu Aug 05, 2004 06:42 PM
Here are some descriptions of some of the styles:

Tutting- this style is influenced by the positions of the arms and hands of the people depicted on egyptian heirogliphs. The angles formed by the hands and arms are the focus of this style. Some different types of tuts are King Tut, box tuts, straight arm tuts, magazine tuts and ground tuts.

Waving- one of the most popular illusional styles. It is meant to look like there is a wave traveling through the body. Some wave types are tidal waves, water waves, double waves, ripple waves. Remember to wave different parts of ur body... arms, chest, head, legs, back, stomach, and anything else u can get to wave.

Strobing- an illusional style meant to look like there is a strobe on u. By using quick dimestops, you mimic everyday actions in a way that it appears there is a strobe on you.

Ticking- often confused with strobing, ticking is a dance, not an illusional style. For ticking, you must be hitting to the fastest (most subdivided) part of the beat, the high hat.

I'll be back with more descriptions. If anyone has some questions on it, feel free to ask.
Invent
re: ***Popping Tutorial***
On Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:55 PM
More descriptions:

Animation- this is a very difficult style. You have to know ur history for this one!!! This style is based off of the stop-motion animation of Ray Harryhausen. Here are some of the movies and characters that are used for this:
MOVIE TITTLE CREATURE
"Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad" (1958) Cyclops, dragon, sword-wielding skeleton
"Jason And The Argonauts" (1963) the seven headed hydra, and an army of skeletons
"Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" (1973) six armed statue, one eyed -centaur and a flying griffin
"Sinbad And The Eye Of The Tiger" (1977) saber-tooth tiger, baboon, giant walrus, three banshees
"Clash Of The Titans" (1981) medusa, Kraken,
Other movies that inspired animation:
"American Werewolf In London" (1981) wolf
"Terminator" (1984) cyborg skeleton
The main idea is to copy the movements of these characters and others the same way the stop-motion animation is done.

Boogaloo- this is a difficult and very complex style. The most popular form of boogaloo is the EB (Electric Boogaloo) version begun by Boogaloo Sam in Fresno, Ca back in 1976.
Boogaloo consists of various leg rolls, hip rolls, chest rolls, neck rolls, twisto-flexes, necko-flexes, master-flexes, walkouts, struts and angles. It is a very "loose" and truly funky style that is difficult to master.

One other style I forgot- Strutting

To purchase popping instructional videos go to:
mrwiggles.biz
mrwiggleshiphop.net (if wiggles.biz is down)
electricboogaloo.com
slsknet.org (download fileshare program and go to popping chatroom to find files...these are all free clips)

Invent
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:02 PM
what's strutting
On Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:15 PM
Strutting- It's an old Bay Area style... one of the first popping/boogaloo styles. There is no hitting involved. It is a series of steps along with different arm angles.
Its hard to explain as I've only seen it once.

Invent
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:32 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:56:03 Please spell out the words you and your....u and ur are netspeak.
where did you learn all your stuff??? geez.. it makes me wonder how old you are. it's like you know or have seen every style from every era.
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:47 AM
I'm only 20. I turn 21 in november. I've been popping for 2 years, breaking on and off for about 7 (more off than on...lol) and working on locking for about 5 months (im not that great at it).
I currently reside in Minnesota, where there aren't many poppers, so I've spent a lot of time doing research and talking to people to get as much info as i can, and learn as many of the styles through descriptions of their concepts as i could.
How do I know so much?? I got hungry.
I try to teach as many people as i can, that helps for coming with descriptions on how to do things. I think once you can describe any of the styles or techniques with words, then you have a better (in other words, strong) command of it.

Thanks for all the compliments!!! Like I said, if ur hungry for the knowledge, u can get it, no matter how old u are.
Invent
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 01:01 AM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:55:16 Netpseak.
i hope so.. cuz im only 3 years younger than u and i JUST started dancing with almost absolutely no knowledge of hip hop... guess im hungry too, although i wont tell you what got me started on the popping obsession cuz its embarrassing. anywho, kudos to u on all the info and concepts u managed to obtain. if i learn about half the stuff you know... not even snickers would be able to satisfy my hunger better lol.

iH0p
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 01:10 AM
Here's what prepped me to start popping seriously. I saw a clip of Mr wiggles doing a puppet routine. I tried to base my knowledge of popping off that. Then I got served by this chick from Groove Nuts Crew in MN. Then I went home and cried...just kidding. Actually this was about the time i decided i would never break again (which i did later).
Then after meeting Legend, Flash and Schitzo, I realized I wanted the same kind of confidence they had...so I could pick up girls. Then I fell in love with the artform.
Yes, I got served by a chick...lol.
We all have embarassing stories... come on!! share!!! hehe.
Invent
On Mon Aug 09, 2004 01:20 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:54:41 Please spell out full words when posting.
lol umm part of the reason why i started was to pick up guys.. but that's not what really pushed me in the first place... if i put the real reason on this message board i'd probably get attacked by offended hard core poppers... but served by a chick huh. i hope i get that good, good enough to embarrass a guy, soon. lol i didn't know you guys really used "served". i thought that was just something they made up in the movie.

iH0p
By OneWord Comments: 88, member since Wed Feb 05, 2003
On Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:11 AM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:53:16 Veiled profanity is not allowed.
holy sh*t! i didnt know there was that many styles lol....thanks for the info...that was some good stuff.
By UConnDavemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 165, member since Tue Jul 20, 2004
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:02 AM
i started dancing like 5 yrs ago but back then i wasnt really into it and only practicing like once a month or once in a blue moon, then these past like 2 years was when i really got into it and downloading clips and just self teaching the moves.

The reason that i started dancing at first was to get the girls but i really love doing it now but im more of a hip hop performer now that also mixes in elements of mainstream pop (not pop n' lock; just POP like brit spears and JT)along with some popping also.
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:55 PM
cool.. brit spears and JT.. i know someone who is a huge fan of their work. i bet he'd love to learn some of there moves from you.

iH0p
By hotboi Comments: 10, member since Mon May 31, 2004
On Sat Aug 21, 2004 07:31 PM
your a good teacher
where do you stay?
On Sat Aug 21, 2004 08:47 PM
Right now i'm in LA... I'll be back in Minnesota in 2 weeks. I prefer to only take students that are serious about learning popping. That way both of us dont waste our time...lol.
Invent
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:11 AM
teach me!

iH0p
By Real_1 Comments: 18, member since Tue Aug 17, 2004
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 08:46 AM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:52:49 Netspeak
those sites are no good 2 me cz im 2 broke 2 order smin vidz frm the interent so can u send some poppin and lockin vidz plz so i can watch and gain idears frm them safe.
- BLESS -
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:18 PM
Peep slsknet.org
I explained how that one works...
Invent
PS- iH0p- I can teach you a few things ;)
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 02:25 PM
u do mean in dancing rite?

iH0p ;P
By clowned Comments: 6, member since Thu Aug 26, 2004
On Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:31 PM
teach me too!!

i only know how to cwalk, clown, heel toe.. arghh

popping = higher form of dancing and plus there arent that many people that can get their walk on anyways

right now im learning to abstrat popping and i suck at it lol

lates
By kentchichi Comments: 2, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Fri Aug 27, 2004 09:39 AM
ummmm how do bring down the flow from the armwave to the legs???
By nequidnimis Comments: 19, member since Sat Aug 21, 2004
On Sun Aug 29, 2004 04:07 AM
thats a useful post... that really cleared it up for me
By danz4life21 Comments: 6, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sun Sep 12, 2004 02:27 AM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:51:24 Netspeak
What up Invent I stay in Minnesota, i jus moved here 3 months ago and i see there aren't many people that has the experiece or any interest in upper levels!!! I really need help i started dancin @ 5 and in do hip-hop, jazz and i did praise dance in church for the ballance and turns and kicks but i want to meet u in person and i'll do what ever it takes please e-mail me so i can give u my # now this is only for dance lessons and help and ofcourse friendship but i need to tell the whole world who i started gettin help from through my learnin stage which iz u so please write back bcuz i need help wit poplockin!!! Sweetpee033@yahoo.com or kool-aid323@blackplanet.com A.S.A.P!!!
how to pop n lock
By bananaz Comments: 4, member since Tue Sep 14, 2004
On Tue Sep 14, 2004 02:04 PM
can anyone give me some sites that show you how to pop and lock besides popandlock.com

and email those sites to bananaboyee_389@hotmail.com
On Tue Sep 14, 2004 06:44 PM
READ THE POSTS!!! THERE'S ONE WITH SOME SITES!!!
Invent
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch