Forum: Music / Instrumental Music

Being a Band/Orchestra Member (karma: 1)
By DancingAROmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 10, 2004 09:29 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-08-11 15:51:30

If you are in a band or orchestra, then you need to follow the following rules that I have posted. I know, I know, everyone knows these things, but everyone needs a reminder from time to time.

1) Always respect your conductor/instructor. Even if their rythem, counts, or ideas seem wrong, you must follow them at all times.

2) Respect all fellow members of your music group. A band is when people with the same interests join to play together and to do what they love. So play, don't argue.

3) If there is a hard part in your music, then I think it would be a good idea to practice the part at home. It wouldn't be fair if everyone else practiced it to perfection, and you made a mistake and ruined the whole arrangement and fun for everyone.

4) If you do happen to make a mistake, then keep going and don't make a scene about it. Some people may not even notice!

5) Give and Take helpful advice from other members willingly. Everyone can help to make a better music group.

6) If you will be playing outside, prepare for the weather with your wardrobe. Also, you should pin your music to your stand with clothes pins, so it won't blow away and distract another musician.

7) Always wear the proper uniform or attire to your band rehersals and (or) performances. Ask a Band Director about the dress code, if you are unsure.

8) Try to attend as many rehersals as you possibly can. Pracice with the whole group is quite rare. Practice makes perfect!

9) It is best not to talk or make un-necessary noises during a performance or a rehersal. You should be down to business at all times to respect your fellow band members, your director, and your audience.

I hope that someone enjoyed reading this, and I hope this was useful! Thanks for reading this!

Anna

12 Replies to Being a Band/Orchestra Member

re: Being a Band/Orchestra Member
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 08:43 AM
i disagree on the one that says to practice hard parts at home

you should practice all parts at home!

i play the viola
Re: Being a Band/Orchestra Member
By DancingAROmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 09:03 AM
Hi ghilliegirl!
Yes I 100% percent agree with you!
I wrote this "assuming" that people practice everyday. I meant that you should CONCENTRATE on the hard parts. Does this make sense?
Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

Anna
By ddcrepertory
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 04:42 PM
I played the violin for three years but I didn't like it.
By maddefaya
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 09:23 PM
I very much agree with number 4. Most of the time noone will notice, even in an orchestra if you're 1 of a very small amount of woodwind players. But never make the same mistake twice. Then you have a greater chance of someone noticing. Nice post
By Holo
On Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:34 AM
Great post!!
By bxjz
On Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:56 PM
I play the french horn so practicing every day is not just helpful, but essential!!!

Great tips, thanks for sharing,

BX
By lacey_graham69
On Fri Sep 17, 2004 03:57 PM
I enjoyed reading that! Thanks!
By TeagueMusicalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:21 AM
do you want to be my forman? he he
thank you for posting
By pinkandpistachioPremium member
On Sun Sep 09, 2007 02:43 PM
yeah, you're right about #4. i remember way back in fourth grade school band when one kid would always throw a fit whenthey messed up. no one notices. especially if you have a very nonimportant part---like the bassoon part. heh
By passiondancer21
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:08 AM
i agree with you... you should totally practice at home so can be really good at what ever you play... i play the alto saxophone and always practice to do better and it pays off.
By medalgirl_11member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 12, 2009 05:18 PM
Great post! :)
By tinajone
On Tue Dec 19, 2017 07:52 PM
Edited by tinajone (299126) on 2017-12-19 19:53:42
I like playing the piano most,

ReplySendWatch