Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

2nd step of hornpipe
By highlndtchr
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 07:17 PM

Okay, so in the shuffle over the buckle step of the hornpipe, is it okay to jump the "beat beat" as in "hop down shuffle BEAT BEAT shuffle" I thought I heard that it was not supposed to be a jump but a step, but I see everyone doing a jump???? Which is it?

13 Replies to 2nd step of hornpipe

re: 2nd step of hornpipe
By SaraM
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 08:34 PM
From what I understand, you shouldn't be doing a big jump there. The movement is a Ball Change, which is just a transfer of weight from the ball of the front foot to the back foot. I think of it as two steps.
Listen to the dancer's rhythm while they are doing this step, the timing should be even througout the step, with the Ball change being counted out as (& 2).

There are a lot of dancers out there who rush this movement and when they do that it looks like a jump, because they are usually landing both feet together. That timing would be more like (&2)

Hope that helps, and I hope I was able to explain it correctly, I can dance it and I know it inside my head, but I can't always type it out!!
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 12, 2004 09:08 PM
I agree with what SaraM says. My teacher has always stressed that it is not at jump there. Your head should stay fairly level throughout the step - imagine you have a glass of water balanced there and using a big jump would cause the water to spill!
By highlandlassie
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 07:07 AM
The book states at this point that this is NOT a jump action. Which basically reiterates the points of the other two posters, don't jump high and make sure your feet land a two separate times. I think that this is something that has changed, though. I'm not sure how recently, but I think my dance teacher used to have a lot of lift there.
By highlndtchr
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone! That is what I thought but at recent competitions, I have seen so many people jumping this and WINNING! ??????
By highlandlassie
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 07:23 AM
I'm sure they're not winning due to jumping. I'm sure if two dancers were exactly equal and one jumped, the non-jumper would win. The judges are probably more focused on other things. No worries, you're right! :)
By highlandlady
On Fri Aug 13, 2004 09:40 PM
There is to be no jump action and, as a judge, while I don't see many really good shuffles, I don't see many jumps. I think you are mistaking the ball change ( with plenty of knee action and aiming to have the feet close to 3rd aer and 3rd rear aer) with a jump action. If you go back to the definition of a jump, you notice that a jump is a movement of elevation begun on the balls of both feet and landing simultaneously on the balls of both feet. That said, the fact that the shuffle preceeding the ball change finishes with the working foot off the ground with the foot in front of the leg makes it difficult to do a jump.
By highlndtchr
On Sat Aug 14, 2004 08:08 AM
Edited by highlndtchr (101990) on 2004-08-14 08:13:22
I guess technically I did not mean a jump, I meant a spring. I teach my students to do a ball change action with a lot of knee lift but I have been seeing many dancers still doing a spring action and placing well.
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 14, 2004 05:15 PM
My teacher always wanted a big action for the ball change without "jumping" it... I htink the distinction is: does the head stay level?
By cassidy2
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 04:56 AM
The answer is yes
By stepdancerfreakmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 20, 2004 07:39 PM
My teacher said that when she was still in competitions the bigger the spring the better and they would really tilt their arms to represent the tilting deck. But now apparently some judges will take off for doing a spring and doing the arm tilt...
By highlandlady
On Sat Aug 21, 2004 07:33 PM
That's correct. The ball change in the shuffle over the buckle is just that - a ball change. This isn't a movement of elevation. The feel do pick up towards 3rd aer and 3rd rear aer though. It gives an impression of elevation but, like someone said before, your head will stay kind of level.

The arm tilt - yep.. I'd dock marks right away. Dancers tend to do this when they are trying to watch their feet. The only step you should see the dancer looking over her arm and towards the feet is when the dancer is doing the polka method of the first step. Even then, they are only glancing and the arms will kind of move to the side a wee bit rather than on an angle. The telltale comment in the description of 2nd position or 'folded' is that the palms of the hands face downwards. As soon as the arms start to tilt, the hands start to face out to the side.
By highlandlassie
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 06:46 AM
I had an examiner tell me to do more arm tilt in the Hornpipe once, and I wasn't doing the polka step. I can't remember if it was supposed to be for the first or second step, but I can go look it up later on my old exam sheets. It was the only comment she had on the sheet that asked for improvement, the rest were all positive. But I think it was only my bronze hornpipe, so it wasn't too difficult. Odd about the arm tilt, though, if it's not allowed, like highlandlady said.
By highlandlassie
On Mon Aug 23, 2004 02:30 PM
Oh, and for the record, when I did get the examiner telling me to tilt my arms more, my teacher told me to ignore that. :)

ReplySendWatch