Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Fun Tap Combos??? (karma: 1)
By RatAtaptap
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 03:53 PM
Locked by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-09-23 20:16:12 double post
Unlocked by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-09-24 15:14:14 Whoops! My bad!

Anybody have any cool combonations they have learned or made up for tap. I love practicing floor combos and wanted to see if anyone had anything new I could try out! If I think of any I will also post some!

12 Replies to Fun Tap Combos???

re: Fun Tap Combos???
By LauraLulu
On Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:07 PM
This isn't really advanced but I always liked it. It's fun with a group. You start out with ball dives (ball chug) do 4 or 8 then add shuffles with your other foot: a side shuffle each time you "ball" and front shuffle each time you dive or chug. If you have 2 people or more, divide into groups and start in rounds: For example I would do 4 ball dives and then you would do 4 ball dives while I was doing the ball dives with the shuffles..
Hope that makes sense to you and you like it!
By RatAtaptap
On Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:00 PM
That is a really great idea and I plan on using it. I think it will be good to use right after the warm up because it could definitely help in getting ankles warm!!

I thought of a combonation:

Advanced maxi ford R
Advanced maxi ford L
Wing from fifth R
Wing from fifth L
Stamp R
Stamp L
Pickup
Pickup

I think it would be cool if we could all add on to a comboantion list!! Feel free...I will add more later!
?
By dancerasa
On Sun Sep 05, 2004 09:10 AM
What exactly is an advanced maxi ford? As opposed to a regualr one? Are you adding a grab off? toe stand?
By RatAtaptap
On Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:30 PM
you add a grab off that is all! They are so fun!!!
By lneff
On Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:45 PM
Is an adv maxi ford with a grab off, or what? Are the wings from fifth position? It would be good to add counts with the combo. Great idea about sharing combos.
lneff
By RatAtaptap
On Mon Sep 06, 2004 05:36 PM
Advanced maxi ford r, Advance maxi ford l (1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4) you should have your r foot crossed in front like 5th
wing from 5th R, wing from 5th L (and a 5 and a 6)
stamp r, stamp l (7, 8)
pick up, pick up (and 1 and 2)

pick up=grab off and yes the wings are from fifth (3 count wing by the way!!!) Hope that clears it up!!!
By sax_attack
On Sat Sep 11, 2004 08:17 AM
*paddle(left) paddle(right) paddle(left) paddle(right) double paddle(left) double paddle(right) paddle(left) paddle(right) paddle(left) paddle(right) paddle(left) double paddle(right) double Paddle(left)*-keep repeating and see how fast you can get it!! there is a break but i dont think i could type it all out
By dixietessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 04:13 AM
another fun, but pretty easy combo is:

Tap step ball change, tap spring, tapstep ball change, tap spring, tap spring, tap spring.

a tap step is what you guys probably call a slap or something?! im not sure.. it is a fwd beat of the foot then you step onto the same foot that you did the fwd beat on. A tapspring is the same thing but with a bit of spring (like running kinda)

anyway you do this combo turning, each 8 counts there are 3 turns.

1st turn: Tap step ball change, tap spring.. (and 1 and 2 and 3)
2nd turn: Tap step ball change, tap spring.. (and 4 and 5 and 6)
3rd turn: Tap spring, tap spring.. (and 7 and 8)

then speed it up to really fast, i find its lots of fun :D
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 04:38 AM
ooo.. i thought of 2 more!! hehe

one is a version of a wing timestep, now this is gonna be hard to explain becausei use different terminology but i will try!

You start with your left foot on the ball of the foot, and the right foot flat and slightly in front of you.

Lift the toe of your right foot and do a basic pick-up/grab-off/pullback (wateva u call it), then hop on your left leg, shuffle to the side (R leg), spring onto your R leg (so just change legs with a little jump, ie you started with your weight on your left leg now you change to your right), toe beat with your left foot (or knock etc.), wing change (right to left), ball stamp (ball of right foot digs into the floor followed by a stamp on your left leg)

Then you're ready to start on the left (sorry that was very confusing). here it is with the counts:

Pick up, hop..... (and 1)
shuffle, spring, toe beat (and and a 2)
wing change (and 3)
Ball stamp, (and 4)

here is another one that is really easy, but is quite rhythmical and fun once you get the hang of it.
in my tap terms:
a stamp = a heavy drop of the flat foot with or without a change of weight (but in this combo there is always a weight change)
a step = stepping onto the ball of your foot and changing your weight.

now the combo is:
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), step(L),
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), Stamp(L),
Step (R), Step (L), Step (R), Step (L),
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), Step (L),

we repeat this 3 times, and then have a rbeak so you can change legs, the break is:
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), step(L), step (R), step (L),
Stamp (R) - and extend left leg out to back, Do a little hop thing, then stamp on the RIght leg again.

All the timing in this is even the whole way through for example:
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), step(L), (1 and 2 and)

please ANYONE tell me if they are actually able to understand and do these!!! lol, sorry i know its confusing but i do my best to explain things, still if you have any queries or questions let me know.. and everyone else get on here and write some down! :D
On Wed Sep 22, 2004 04:39 AM
Edited by dixietess (88237) on 2004-09-22 04:38:17
ooo.. i thought of 2 more!! hehe

one is a version of a wing timestep, now this is gonna be hard to explain becausei use different terminology but i will try!

You start with your left foot on the ball of the foot, and the right foot flat and slightly in front of you.

Lift the toe of your right foot and do a basic pick-up/grab-off/pullback (wateva u call it), then hop on your left leg, shuffle to the side (R leg), spring onto your R leg (so just change legs with a little jump, ie you started with your weight on your left leg now you change to your right), toe beat with your left foot (or knock etc.), wing change (right to left), ball stamp (ball of right foot digs into the floor followed by a stamp on your left leg)

Then you're ready to start on the left (sorry that was very confusing). here it is with the counts:

Pick up, hop..... (and 1)
shuffle, spring, toe beat (and and a 2)
wing change (and 3)
Ball stamp, (and 4)

here is another one that is really easy, but is quite rhythmical and fun once you get the hang of it.
in my tap terms:
a stamp = a heavy drop of the flat foot with or without a change of weight (but in this combo there is always a weight change)
a step = stepping onto the ball of your foot and changing your weight.

now the combo is:
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), step(L),
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), Stamp(L),
Step (R), Step (L), Step (R), Step (L),
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), Step (L),

we repeat this 3 times, and then have a rbeak so you can change legs, the break is:
Stamp (R) - and extend left leg out to back, Do a little hop thing, then stamp on the RIght leg again.

All the timing in this is even the whole way through for example:
Stamp (R), step (L), step (R), step(L), (1 and 2 and)

A trick that we use when teaching this is using numbers ie:
Stamp 2 3 4
Stamp 2 3
stamp 2 3 4 5
Stamp 2 3 4

or just use the number 1 instead of a stamp and tell the others that whenever you say a 1, you do a stamp and the numbers are:

please ANYONE tell me if they are actually able to understand and do these!!! lol, sorry i know its confusing but i do my best to explain things, still if you have any queries or questions let me know.. and everyone else get on here and write some down! :D
here lots peeps u owe me karma for this one!
By shimmybridget
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 01:17 AM
here's some advanced tap steps my students love.

- Paradiddle combo- paradiddle R, paradiddle L, R heel front, step back L, cramp roll, repeat 4x, increase tempo once you get it (a paradiddle is a- heel front flap heel back)

- Fun combo- heel R, step back L, step together R, heel L, step back R, step together L, ballchange, repeat 1x, then do the heel step back together part 4x, and end with a ballchange cramp roll. (increase speed and lift legs up high and add some bounce and this step can become very difficult)

- Criss- cross combo- leap shuffle pick up, leap shuffle pick up, leap shuffle pick up turn flap ballchange

- Drawback combo- brush R heel L step crossing R foot in front, brush L heel R step L, brush R heel L shuffle R heel L step R, reverse, then to finish, brush R heel L step R crossing in front, brush L heel R step L, brush R heel L step R, brush L heel R step L crossing in front, heel L shuffle R heel L, cross R toe infront pivot on two feet to turn all the way around, stomp L

- Pullback combo- ballchange double pullback R, ballchange double pullback L, ballchange dbl. pullback R, L, R. Repeat
(this one will confuse/challenge them)

- Wing combo- Jump side dbl. wing, jump front dbl. wing, jump dbl side wing, dbl. front wing, dbl. side wing, repeat & reverse

- Mambo combination- Irish R(shuffle hop cross), step side L, Flap backwards R, double heel R-L, step back L, step inplace R, step together L(mambo L-R-L), irish R, step side L, Flap backwards R double heel R-L turn R, step side L, step in place R, step together L (side mambo L-R-L) Repeat & Reverse & increase speed(it's my students fav)

- double/triple Drawback combo- brush heel step R, brush heel step L dbl. heels R-L, brush heel step R, brush heel step L, brush heel step R, triple heels R-L-R, reverse & repeat going backwards across the floor.

-this isn't a combo but if you need a new wing to work on this ones a doosey!

- reversed wings- start with your feet together, jump in place, brush out with both feet, brush in with both feet, flap out (you should end with your feet apart)

- another version- start with your feet out, jump in 2nd position, brush in with both feet, brush out with both feet, flap in (should end with feet together)

-another hard trick is triple pullbacks (ballchange to the front pull both feet back at the same time brush 2x then land in plie with feet together)

-Slides are also fun- heel toe slides, r or l heel in front and r or l toe in back, run run and slide across the floor like that. Another slide is to slide on the inside of your feet, run run slide, and the last slide is a toe slide, run run up on your toe slide front.

-Here's a box turn- start moving to the front turning R, flap, flap, flap, cramp roll, repeat, then switch to moving to the right side with 2 maxiford turns (jump shuffle jump toe cramp roll), then switch to moving to the back flap, flap, flap cramp roll, repeat, and lastly switch to moving to the left side with 2 maxiford cramp roll turns lunge side to finish or lunge side drag turn.

- that's all for now
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 05:51 PM
ohh those ones were really good too shimmybridget, sorry about posting my other one twice, i swear i didnt :s.. ah well ill get a mod to remove it.

tess xo

ReplySendWatch