Popular Ballet

Ballet friends :D by ILoveLoveYou
Where do you go to meet other dancers online who are in your area? Thank you in advance! I appreciate your sweet help! xoxo I Love Love You! ;) :D

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Page:
Page 1 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 17 18 19 20 21

Pointe - General
3 exercises to strengthen arches, ankles and feet...ANIMATED! (karma: 263)  en>fr fr>en
By PurkleStarsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 333, member since Thu Jan 22, 2004
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 05:01 PM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2004-08-17 15:21:31
Made unsticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-12-02 22:07:02 added to new faq

After having quite a few people asking me what exercises I do to strengthen my arches, ankles and feet in general, I decided to make a post dedicated to it. The animated pictures I have created of my own feet, hopefully will help me to explain them.

I wasnt sure where to post this, so I thought the pointe forum would be most appropriate, seen as strong feet and ankles are a must for pointework.

Exercise one: Simple releves

Image hotlink - 'http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3082/releve.gif'

Simply doing slow releves helps to strengthen your feet, and works on your arch and ankle strength, not to mention helping to break in pointe shoes. The slower the better here, so in a way it also helps with balance. You can do these releves in first position (as show in the animation), second and fifth. Also do some slow releves in parallel first and second (parallel: where you dont turn your feet out).

Remember to keep your releves slow and controlled, being careful, and not rolling too far forward or backwards on your toes when you rise up. Your weight should be evenly distributed between both feet, the weight centered down the ball of each foot.

If you're feeling adventurous: Try doing the releves on just one foot at a time. This is extra tricky to start off with, but as your balance improves, so will your strength. Hold your other foot in passe.

Exercise two: Arch stretches

Image hotlink - 'http://img19.exs.cx/img19/4757/archflex.gif'

I have posted a shot of my arch before doing this exercise and got an unexpected HUGE response from it. Basically, all it takes is practice. Start with your foot upright, then keeping your leg straight, push your toes (without scrunching them) down onto the floor. The aim is to get your toes to touch the floor with your foot fully pointed, or even better, to get the top of the ball of your foot to touch the floor, as I have demonstrated in the animation. This really helps with your arches, and also allows you to practice pointing your foot to its fullest.

Big tip: To maximise this stretch, as with any stretch, when you have reached as far as you can pointe with your feet, hold it for about 30 seconds or however long in comfortable, wiggle your toes and bend your knees to relax your muscles, then start again. Start off with one foot at a time so you can fully concentrate on one foot, instead of trying to control and push both feet to the limit.

Exercise three: Releves with a twist!

Image hotlink - 'http://img59.exs.cx/img59/9569/archbox.gif'

These, I find are the hardest of the three exercises, but is the one I can really feel work on my calves and ankles and feet. It vastly improves your balance, ankle strength and general foot strength.

In the animation I am doing this exercise with just one foot. This is extremely difficult and should not be attempted until you can do it with both feet.

If your balance isnt 100% start with both feet on the edge of a step or a raised surface. You can hold onto something for support at first, but try to built up your balance and strength so you dont need the support for balance. Put the balls of your feet on the edge of the raised platform, then lower your heel as far down as it can go, then slowly rise up into demi pointe, pushing up as far as you can go, then lower back down, again controlling the speed at which you lower.

Big tip: Again, the slower the better. Once you are comfotable with doing this exercise with both feet on the step, try lifting one foot into passe, then try the exercise again, (as shown in the animation). At first you'll probably need a support to hold onto, but with time you should be able to do this exercise on one foot without the support.

All these exercises need to be repeated in order for them to work efficiently, and to be carried out regularly. In time, you will notice the difference.

I hope these will help a great deal of people looking for ways to strengthen their feet and ankles.

-x-Carolyn-x-

507 Replies to 3 exercises to strengthen arches, ankles and feet...ANIMATED!

re: 3 exercises to strengthen arches, ankles and feet...ANIMATED! en>fr fr>en
By Starzethmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1737, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 05:06 PM
WOW!!!!

-Starz
By megabee Comments: 258, member since Mon Aug 05, 2002
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 06:04 PM
that must've taken forever! good work!
RE: 3 exercises to strengthen arches, ankles and feet...ANIMATED! en>fr fr>en
By DancingAROmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 638, member since Mon Aug 18, 2003
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 06:17 PM
Wow! Karma for you!

Anna
By NoquestionNolies Comments: 341, member since Sun May 30, 2004
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 06:21 PM
Ohhhhh! Thank you so much!
By Dancer875 Comments: 668, member since Sat Jun 21, 2003
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 06:23 PM
Thank you so much!! That was great! You have awesome feet..The pictures and animations were great..thanks :)
By whirl Comments: 13, member since Mon Aug 09, 2004
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 07:10 PM
tHANKS! VALUABLE INFO TO PASS ON TO MY STUDENTS! BEST WISHES.
By FlexisKeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1846, member since Sun May 02, 2004
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 07:14 PM
oh thats cool! if i had stairs i'd do the stairs one!
By ballet_dancer_member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2340, member since Wed Oct 29, 2003
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 07:27 PM
*gasp*

Wow, PurkleStars, that is an amazing collection of exercises! You must have put a lot of hard word and effort into the creation of this thread, and I commend you for your hard work--- especially with the animation! Great job. Karma!

~ ballet_dancer_ ~
By I_luv_2_dance007 Comments: 1183, member since Fri Jun 20, 2003
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:47 PM
Wow amazing post! That must have taken some work! Thank you soo much for taking the time to do that! Well i think I will go do some releves!! :)

*Jessica*
By ballerinagirl06 Comments: 779, member since Fri Mar 05, 2004
On Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:59 PM
Thanks for this great post! You have beautiful feet. Karma is coming your way! :) To flexiskey- you can also do the "stairs" exercise on the edge of a good sturdy chair (preferably not padded). Just make sure it won't tip over, of course! Actually, now that I think of it, a coffee table or anything like that would probably work well too!

ballerinagirl06
By PurkleStarsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 333, member since Thu Jan 22, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 06:13 AM
FlexisKey, I just did the releve exercise on a wooden box. As ballerinagirl06 said, you can do it on anything thats elevated and wont tip up.

Try in on a pile of thick books or something?

-x-Carolyn-x-
By Hip2hopgirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1034, member since Tue Jun 29, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 06:40 AM
Edited by Hip2hopgirl (98065) on 2004-08-17 06:40:06
awww that is so cool the way you animated it! It deffinetly helps to see it than to hear it :D and you have great feet!... KARMA for you :D

Hip2hopgirl
By highlandlassie Comments: 2819, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 06:56 AM
Oh wow, the one where you are sitting and pointing your feet...what amazing points!!! I first thought "fantastic arch" and then it pointed further, right to the floor!! You are a lucky, lucky girl with feet like that!! :)
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5351, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 08:31 AM
one word, WOW!!!
I'm speechless, Karma for you *faints*
balletchick
By ballerina_lucymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1655, member since Mon Mar 22, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 08:41 AM
Wowzie, I will definately be practicing lots of stretching today!! Thanks so much! *KARMA*

~*LUCY*~
By danceallnight Comments: 220, member since Sun Aug 15, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 08:56 AM
that was awesome! great info!
By GinaLouisemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 870, member since Fri Jun 25, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 09:51 AM
you go girl! something thats really helpful for everybody! karma*
gina
By CheesePlusCakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 10210, member since Mon Jun 30, 2003
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 01:43 PM
That's really cool. I would suggest that in excercise 2 you point your toes last, though. Nice post.
By estrella_dancer Comments: 56, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 01:51 PM
wow! you've got a great arch! It's surprising cuz some of these excercises I do but don't know they help my arch! lol
By to_the_pointe Comments: 216, member since Wed Aug 27, 2003
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 02:19 PM
wow thanks for the tips..its no wonder you have beautiful arches with all the hard work you put in...ratings for you hun
x
By preetyinpink Comments: 390, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 02:48 PM
thats great!!!!karma!~pip
By BaLLeTFaNaTiC03 Comments: 1019, member since Mon Dec 08, 2003
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 06:31 PM
Edited by BaLLeTFaNaTiC03 (79603) on 2004-08-17 18:30:22
*appalause*

Fantastic work! An article has to be pretty neat and well done to get made into a sticky. Great job! Did you make the animations in Macromedia Flash? :)
By bellarina2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 189, member since Tue Mar 09, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 06:45 PM
thanks for that! they are really cool! and ur feet are so nice!
By PointeGirl2462member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 928, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Tue Aug 17, 2004 07:21 PM
Karma for you! we talked about this today but ill say it again You have amazing feet.
PointeGirl2462
Page:
Page 1 of 211 2 3 4 5 6 17 18 19 20 21

ReplySendWatch