Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

About your hornpipe...
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 02:48 PM

Hi, I am an Irish dancer and we also dance a hornpipe and I was wondering if it at all similar to Highland dancing or are they completly different? Thanks!

4 Replies to About your hornpipe...

re: About your hornpipe...
By lacey_graham69
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 04:48 PM
what IS hornpipe?
By pure_dance101
On Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:43 PM
I'm an Irish dancer too! Who frequents the highland board...probably because I'm an ex highlander but anywhoo...

Irish horpipe is just a step pretty much, y'know like theres a certain type of music and each schools makes up their own unique step in accordance with the music/beats/counts and whatever hardshoe steps are in (or basically whatever hardshoe movements they want!)
The highland hornpipe is similar to our Traditional Sets so every school does it the same although I believe there can be a variation of steps (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong! It's been a while since I've walked this walk..lol)

So there y a go....hope that helped!
By dancer_gurl3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 19, 2004 06:18 AM
there are set steps for every dance, so ycan choose which of the set steps you want to do. the hornipe (actually called the sailors hornpipe) is representing the sailors in the brittish army, and we do alot of moves that resemble things that they do (i.e. pulling ropes, looking for land) hope this helped!
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member
On Thu Aug 19, 2004 08:42 AM
thanks for the explaination!

ReplySendWatch