Forum: General

Page:
Page 11 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By sjdance
On Tue Nov 06, 2007 07:42 AM
My name is Stacie I am 21. I have been teaching for 3 years know.
I teach creative movement, beginner ballet, pre-school P.E, and hip hop. I have been dancing since I was 3, ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop,lyrical,modern, dance team for school, & show choir. I have a 6 month old baby girl Skylar. I have been married for 1.5 years now. I live in VA. That is just a little about me.
By dianne56
On Wed Nov 07, 2007 04:40 PM
I have a studio in my home in the Boston Suburbs. I've been here since 1993. It's been a wonderful way to fuse motherhood with running a ballet studio. Now my children are grown, my body's starting to fall apart and I'm thinking about retiring. If anybody out there is interested in living in a lovely home, with a great school system, and teaching right downstairs (walk out- nice and bright) let me know. dlj611@verizon.net
By elusionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 26, 2007 05:44 AM
My name is Cassandra, I'm 21, and I currently live in Texas. I started dancing and teaching in small towns in northeast PA, then moved to Houston in 2006. I dance with a professional company in Houston and teach for a studio in one of the suburbs (I teach the Vagonova method of ballet and pointe). I have been with that school a little over a year and I love it-- the kids are great, and they work very hard. This is my fifth year teaching.
By smile_love_dance
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 07:58 PM
Hello, I've been watching this board for forever just never got around to introducing myself. My name is Bianca and I am 22 years old. I've been assisting since I was 13 and finally started teaching on my own at 19. I started teaching the beginning preschool, then each year I have gained the class above it so now I teach preschool ballet, beginning & 2nd year tap/ballet, and for some reason I was thrown the "subteens" 10-12 tap/ballet/jazz. Plus I also gained the tiny tumblers this year and I am so incredibly happy.

I started dance when I moved at 9 and for some reason my teacher actually took me in February to start, so I have been with her ever since and now teach for her. I took a year off to go to college 2 hours away, didn't like it, and came running back to her studio! I take everything, literally, still do. Still take classes along with teaching and I really can't imagine stopping even though I am getting older. Thankfully, a lot of graduates have stayed around the area and are in the same classes with me.

Although I love it, I am planning on leaving next year to go back to the school I left in 2003. So I won't be at the studio for at least 2 years, but do plan on coming back when I graduate with a minor in dance.

That's me in a nutshell! =] Nice to meet other dance teachers that go through the same stuff I do and can relate instead of the "ya, uh hunh, I get it" from my mom. Haha.
By sunflowerdncrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 08:28 PM
My name is Tiffany and I live in a suburb of Atlanta.I have been on this site since I was 14.I am 21 years old and this is my first year teaching.It definatly has its drawbacks but I can honestly say that I enjoy my job.I have not been able to say that about any job I have held in the past. I was a late starter,at 15 yrs. old.At 16 I switched to a pre-pro ballet school on a work-study contract and stayed for 3 years.At 19 for multiple reasons I decided that I would be better off taking open adult classes instead of academy classes. I was going to college full time and keeping a very intense dance schedule.So I started taking adult class, and it was that teacher who always dropped hints that I would be a good teacher.I thought she was just saying that at first.Before I took her class, I could never see myself as a teacher.But with her nagging,encouragement, and some courage on my part,I am finally teaching.My concentration is Ballet.I LOVE teaching adults.Which is sort of wierd considering that I am young enough to be thier kid 90% of the time.Sorry for rambling....I just really enjoy having a community with I can share my thoughts with and know someone will actually uderstand what I'm talking about...hehe
By branmar
On Sun Jan 06, 2008 08:48 PM
My name is Brandon, and I am the musical director for Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo. Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo is a group of dancers and musicians in the Pioneer Valley region of Western Massachusetts that is dedicated to the study, performance and teaching of Afro-Cuban folkloric dance and music.

Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo has offered ongoing weekly classes in Afro-Cuban Folkloric Dance at the Northeast American School of Dance in Northampton since September 2006. The classes are taught by Miguel Periche from Holguín, Cuba; and accompanied by musicians from Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo.

Miguel Periche is from Holguin, Cuba, where he grew up immersed in Afro-Cuban culture and dance; and performed with the Conjunto Folklorico Oku. Since arriving in the US Miguel has performed with the SonRisa ensemble in New York; and has taught Salsa dance in the Smith College Dance Department, the Northampton Country Club, and at the East Street Studios in Hadley. Miguel is the principal dancer in Grupo Folklorico Palo Santo.

Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo is also a performance group which presents public performances of Afro-Cuban folkloric dance and music; and does workshops and educational events as well.

The Grupo Palo Santo website has specific information about the ongoing weekly Afro-Cuban Folkloric Dance classes; past and current performance schedules; and lots of other general information about Afro-Cuban culture, music and dance.

If you are interested in any African dance, or dance from anyplace else in the African Diaspora; then you will probably be very interested in Afro-Cuban Folkloric Dance as well.

We hope that you will visit Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo on the internet at http://www.GrupoPaloSanto.com. And if you are in the New England region; we hope that you will come visit the ongoing weekly Afro-Cuban Folkloric Dance Class; or attend a performance in the future.

Con mucho aché,

Brandon
By Gumblynamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 20, 2008 03:24 AM
Edited by Gumblyna (28488) on 2008-01-20 03:27:39 wish I could delete that pciture... whoopsies....
Hello everyone!
I used to come on here all the time, then life took over!
I'm Abigail from Mississippi and am 24 years old. I'm coming up on my 10th year of teaching. I run the dance department in my church's school of fine arts, teaching ballet and jazz. Ages 4 and up. I also work part time at a movie theatre (gotta love free movie passes, popcorn and drink).

I went to college for a few years, starting on my B.A. in Dance and sprained my right ankle severely last spring (never do a tour jete in the back hallway on a movie theatre even if your manager begs..) and had to drop out, so now I'm looking at some other options for college.
I recently got married (7 months ago!!) and am enjoying life as a wife! :)

Sorry folks, I don't know how to delete that picture. I thought I had to choose what I wanted as my avatar... not a picture in my comment! So Sorry!
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 PM
Hello fellow teachers!! My name is Jeanette, I'm 25 and from Southeast Michigan. I began my life as a dancer at age 9, began assisting around 14 and teaching at 19. I grew up as one of the girls who was at the studio everyday-I took tap, jazz, ballet, lyrical, pointe and hip hop... and my original studio is actually where I met my husband(through his family). I'm currently teaching tap, jazz and hip hop classes for one of our local studios. My students are currently ages 3 to 12. Teaching is not my main job, I do it because of my love for dance and my passion for passing that on to others. I look forward to many many posts and learning many new things!
By branmar
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 02:29 PM
Miguel Periche is from Holguín, Cuba, where he grew up immersed in Afro-Cuban culture and dance; and performed with the Conjunto Folklórico Okú. Since arriving in the US Miguel has performed with the SonRisa ensemble in New York; and has taught Salsa dance in the Smith College Dance Department and the Northampton Country Club in Northampton MA; and at the East Street Studios in Hadley MA. Miguel is the principal dancer in Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo; and is the teacher for the Afro-Cuban Folkloric Dance Class every Tuesday evening at the Northeast American School of Dance in Northampton MA. For more information visit Grupo Folklórico Palo Santo on the internet at www.GrupoPaloSanto.com.
By WCDPKitty
On Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:28 AM
Hello, my name is Ashley, and I'm a dancoholic...lol. I live in the Sierra Nevada Mtns.--rural California (yes it exists!). I have co-owned my dance studio (West Coast Dance Project or WCDP) with my mother for the past 3 years, before that I taught for 4 years at a local studio.
I have been dancing since I was 2 1/2 years old, studying tap, jazz, hiphop, ballet and lyrical. I am constantly trying to expand my education, and therefore, my students.
WCDP began as an 16 to adult studio, because we felt a hole in the dancing community. We have since expanded our curriculum to include kids--all the way down to pre-dance at age 2! We continue to be the only studio in our community to truly offer adult classes, beginning through advanced.
I have been a longtime reader of these forums, and just joined. I am looking forward to participating in the wonderful conversations I have enjoyed for so long! :)

~WCDPKitty
By JZ123
On Wed Mar 12, 2008 06:40 AM
This is such a great idea!! My name is Jennifer and I am 27 years old. I have my degree in dance and have been teaching at my current studio for two years. It is a recreational studio though I would love to start a competition group. I teach tap, ballet, jazz, and hip hop and hopefully lyrical as of next year. I lived in NYC for a while after college but decided it wasn't for me so now I am in upstate, NY. I teach at the studio that I grew up taking at. The owners of the studio are wonderful people and I am fairly happy with my current position. In an ideal world I would be teaching every class that I wanted and doing the choreography that I love to do, but unfortunately this isn't an ideal world. I love to dance and love to see the looks on kids faces when they finally get a move perfect. It reminds me of the way I was when I was younger.
By angieballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 12, 2008 07:17 AM
I don't I ever replied to this. So here goes...

I danced with a small ballet company for about 10 years. There, I also taught ballet classes at the school, ages 8 to adult. I have sometimes even taught company classes. In December 2006, I retired from performing, but I still teach some. I have developed an adapted ballet class for kids with disabilities. For my "day job", I teach special education. In addition to dancing with a ballet company, I was also a member of a professional dance team for the NBA in 1997-1998. I have coached high school dance teams and middle school dance teams, and I have done some judging. I was a judge for the MSHSL (MN State High School League) and I have judge the UPA (Universal Performance Association) national competition.

I really enjoy DDN, and the teacher boards are great! :)
By christal1
On Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:22 PM
Hi there! My name is Christal and I have been dancing my whole life. I have been teaaching for 2 years now and I love it!! I grew up in Dallas, TX and that is where I got most of my training. I am a ballerina at heart but I teach ballet, modern, jazz, and pointe. I have a BFA from SMU in Dance Performance and I danced professionally with a company in Fort Worth, TX for 2 years before moving to chicago 3 years ago. I love this city!! I have performed with some theatre companies as well as Thodos Dance Chicago.
I am currently teaching at 4 different studios in Chicago and loving it. I learn something new everyday about myself, about my art, and about children. I get great satisfaction in teaching although sometimes it can be very challenging.
I love this site and I look foward to getting great advice!!
By ct4dance
On Sun May 18, 2008 05:36 PM
Hi I'm Phyllis and I own a studio in CT. I co-owned a studio for four years but recently split and went out on my own. I'm so glad I did. This year has been difficult but awesome. I started dancing at age 11. I'm a graduate of the Hartford Conservatory. I love teaching but sometimes I get overwhelmed. I'm glad for dance.net so I could connect with other teachers and get their experiences. I find it helps keep me confident. We are all so different but all the same. I have two kids. One is an 11 year old girl who dances. She really just loves to dance for fun. She is a great tappper. It's great to have her to share my experiences with. My son danced too, but found racing quad more his thing. He could probably have grown to be really great in tap but I love him as he is. Funny both my kids are good in tap. Not me, I love Jazz, Lyrical and Modern. Modern is more "my" passion as a dancer. I'm looking into more conventions for teachers so I could really connect face to face. My studio has a recreational side and a professional side. I like to teach kids who just love it because it's fun and kids who want to really build something out of their experiences. Right now I'm liking where I am in life.
By ratherbedancing3
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 04:08 PM
I'm a stay at home mother of 3 children during the day and I teach part-time in the evenings. I teach ballet and jazz for 3-7 year-olds and a Broadway/Musical Theatre class for 5-6 year olds.
By lovetoriff
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 02:39 PM
My name is Heather and I am 28 years old and I live in Indio California, just outside of Palm Springs. I started dancing when I was 3 years old and stayed with my teacher for 15 years and 3 studio spaces. I began teaching for my studio my junior year in high school. When I graduated I moved to Missouri where I attended Cottey College and was a member of their dance company. I ended up transfering to the University of Missouri and while maintaining my dance studies they took a back seat for 2 years while I finished school and got married. My husband who is originally from the Midwest managed to get a job right out of business school in my "hometown" area. So we moved back to the Valley and I began teaching for my old studio once again. Then my instructor growing up, the owner of the studio announced her retirement and offered me the opportunity to purchase her studio and keep it going for many more years. It didnt take much thought for me to scrap my day job and take on studio ownership full time. This coming season will be my 6th as the studio owner. You can check us out on our website, dancecenterstageindio.com. This was a great idea for a post. I love hearing about everyone else! Keep Dancing!
By lovetoriff
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 02:41 PM
My name is Heather and I am 28 years old and I live in Indio California, just outside of Palm Springs. I started dancing when I was 3 years old and stayed with my teacher for 15 years and 3 studio spaces. I began teaching for my studio my junior year in high school. When I graduated I moved to Missouri where I attended Cottey College and was a member of their dance company. I ended up transfering to the University of Missouri and while maintaining my dance studies they took a back seat for 2 years while I finished school and got married. My husband who is originally from the Midwest managed to get a job right out of business school in my "hometown" area. So we moved back to the Valley and I began teaching for my old studio once again. Then my instructor growing up, the owner of the studio announced her retirement and offered me the opportunity to purchase her studio and keep it going for many more years. It didnt take much thought for me to scrap my day job and take on studio ownership full time. This coming season will be my 6th as the studio owner. You can check us out on our website, dancecenterstageindio.com. This was a great idea for a post. I love hearing about everyone else! Keep Dancing!
By Dancincrazy555
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:31 PM
Hi my name is Jocelyn I'm 21 and from Florida. I just started a dance studio at the local recreation department. I have been dancing since I was three and believe it or not my first dance teacher's name was also Jocelyn. I went to a performing arts high school and then danced for two years in college. I went back to my high school about a year after I graduated and taught a technique class and coached the dance team with a friend of mine (who was my ballet teacher in high school) We now operate the studio together. I love performing and teaching and am hoping the studio will take off and we can afford our own space one day.

=)
By dancing_fool_13
On Fri Oct 03, 2008 05:36 PM
My name is Nikki and I am twenty-eight. I would like to keep where I work private, but it is a fairly small studio. It has two big rooms and four smaller rooms. I have been teaching for a total of six years. I have taught pointe and ballet all six years, tap for two years, and lyrical/modern for four years. I took dance classes from the age of 3-18 at our local studio. Throughout the years I took every kind of dance known to man =D. I did a double major in dance and theatre education with a minor in theatre design throughout my college years.

Tony (my hubby) and I are expecting our first child in March of 2009.
By dncmin13
On Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:02 AM
Hi I am Mindy I currently teach at Dance Works academy in Upton MA. I am 29 years old and have been dancing since I was 5 yrs old. I started teaching my own classes around 16 years old. I have my BA in dance. I love teaching ballet, pointe, modern, Contemporary, Jazz, and lyric. I am inspired by my students every day and before that it was my dance teachers. My first dance teacher was Nikki. But I will never forget my s/o she was my confirmation sponsor....
By kswing886
On Mon Oct 13, 2008 03:37 PM
My name is Kristin, I'm 22, and I am from the Central Jersey area.

I started dancing at 7 and assisting at 12. I went to Towson University for a few semesters as a dance major before getting injured and having to return back to Jersey.

I began teaching summer of 2005 for a 5-week preschool program at the studio where I grew up. I began teaching classes fall of 2006. I started with 3, last year I moved up to 12, and this year I have 14 classes. I teach ballet, tap, jazz, and hip hop.

I now have my degree in business from my community college, and I'm trying to figure out where to go next with my "day" job.
By Dance_Alaska
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 02:24 PM
I'm a dance teacher in Alaska. I started pre-ballet at age 3, adding jazz and tap in 1st or 2nd grade. My second year in college I stopped dancing. A couple years later my old studio had changed hands and the new owner was pregnant and needed some help. That was is 1994 and I've been teaching ever since. Most all of my dance background has been in Alaska. You'd think "what kind of dance education can Alaska have?" Being in Alaska has actually been great. Intensive and Workshop teachers find it a treat to go somewhere new and unexpected. I've been exposed to some amazing instructors over the years. Gus Giordano, Bob Rizzo and Joe Tremaine are names you will recognize. I've taken classes from Maria Grande of Joffrey II, Shari Lane from Ballet West, El Gabriel from UC Irvine, Patrick Roddy of Creighton Univ, Robert Barnett Dir. Emeritus Atlanta Ballet, Maria Vegh past co-director of Harkness Ballet...as well as many great instructors from several L.A. studios and conventions....Now that I'm pushing 40 I keep to ballet and tap. Teaching keeps me off the couch a couple nights a week and helps the creative side of my brain.
By TexasExpatriate
On Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 PM
My name is Emily. I currently teach at Kim's Danceland. I am 26 years old. I began teaching at the age of 18. Currently I teach ballet, pointe & acro -- though in the past I have taught jazz, hip hop, lyrical, modern, tap & gymnastics. I grew up studying dance, gymnastics & cheerleading. Kim Burge is the person who inspired me to continue dance and teaching -- she is a wonderful, organized, fair & overall fun instructor.
By Sumayah
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 PM
Eeep just read all of this after posting in the teacher forums.

I'm gonna be 30 this year (*cry*) and have been teaching for nearly ten years now. I started late in life at the ripe old age of ten taking ballet and pursued ballet with the goal of being a professional ballerina, however my poor feet just wouldn't cooperate and I figured it was a waste to great training just to give it up and work behind a desk somewhere.

I went to college and majored in dance where I dabbled a bit with modern and shortly after graduation was hired on as an assistant teacher. I had never tapped before nor done jazz in any real way, but my ballet knowledge was what hired me. I worked as the assistant teacher for a year before getting my own classes and working my way up the food chain so to speak til I was one of the primary ballet instructors at the studio. My students did well with several winning ballet scholarships and being able to attend prestigious SI's. I currently teach ballet for two highly respected studios in the area and hope to continue my employment with them. So that's me. :D
By DevilWrzRinestnz
On Tue Feb 03, 2009 06:06 PM
Hello all! Ok, so my name is Deb. I have been a dancer/performer all my life (literally). I've been teaching dance for 17 years. It is my heart, my soul, my first love. It is my oxygen. Without it, I would suffocate! I've been very fortunate to have taught for some wonderful studios and owners in the Indianapolis and surrounding areas for several years, until a few years ago when I decided to make a change from one studio to another. At the time, I thought I was making the best decision, but I soon figured I had made an aweful mistake. I found myself in a studio (that shall remain namelss) that was so full of negativity that myself and my daughter (also a dancer) were absolutely miserable. I felt as though I had joined a cult. It was truly that bad. But anyway, thankfully that was short lived and I quickly decided that I would open my own studio. After my bad experience, I wanted to open a studio where I could provide my students a healthy, positive atmosphere with the highest quality of instruction, and a place where I could offer an enviroment for my other teachers to feel free with their creativity. It has been tough. WAY tougher than I had imagined. However, slowly, but surely, myself, my other teachers, and my students are making it happen. I am so thankful for the staff that I have. They are all amazing and so dedicated to their craft. They see how much this studio means to me and they support me 200%. How did I get so lucky? I try to tell them as often as I can how grateful I am for them.

As far as remembering my first dance teacher? No, I really don't. I started dancing when I was 2. But when I was around 8 years old, and a couple studios later, I ended up with the most amazing dance teacher ever. Her name is Linda Rees. She taught me so much about dance, about life, about people, about everything. She pushed me to my limits every day. There were times I would leave the studio exhausted and sometimes even shed a few tears. But it was all for the best and when she pushed me, I knew it came from a place of love. For who I am today and the kind of teacher I am, I owe her a great deal of thanks. I talk to her all the time. She still has her studio. I have called her for advice and even just to vent. And as always, she there. Still pushing me! I love her dearly. Her students and my students often meet up at competitions and it's always fun because I hang out with her and her teachers and all of our students hang out together the whole weekend and cheer each other on when the other is on stage. Some studios think it's weird that we are competiting against each other but hanging out together. But it works for us. Anyway, I can only hope that I have the same affect on my students as Linda did with me.

Gosh, I really rambled on, didn't I? Haahaaha, sorry!

Anyway, I look forward to more conversations with you all, my fellow dance teachers!
Page:
Page 11 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch