Forum: General

Page:
Page 2 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers.... (karma: 2)
By divadivadancer
On Mon Sep 06, 2004 07:26 AM
SCBdancer I would love to know more about Vaganova. What is it? And Where did you learn it? I have seen the word on this site a few times.
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By SCBdancer
On Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:04 PM
Hi divadivadancer! Vaganova is a russian system of ballet training begun by a teacher at the Kirov named Agrippina Vaganova. This is the system of training that produced dancers such as Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov. I learned it throughout my own traing as a dancer, and have studied it as a teacher under the guidance of the director of the school that I teach for. Many schools have teachers wokshops in this method. I know that Nutmeg Ballet in CT has one every summer, but lots of others do also.
By dancingdiva83
On Mon Sep 06, 2004 08:35 PM
Hey everyone! My name is Amanda, I just turned 21, and am from central NJ! I have been dancing since I was 3-i grew up in St.Louis and then eventually moved with my family to Jersey. I am currently at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia where i am majoring in dance (concentration in jazz) I absolutely love teaching and started assistant teaching when I was 16. I had my own class when I was 18 and since graduating high school I have remained active at my studio coming home on weekends to teach routines and soloists and attending competitions and nationals. I teach a lot of ages but I really love teaching middle school aged kids. I am also involved with a competitition as a judge. I really enjoy this board(i stumbled upon it a month ago) and I hoep that I can learn A LOT of from all you other teachers out there!!!
By katiemarina
On Tue Sep 07, 2004 06:20 PM
Hi everyone!
My name's Katie and this is my first year teaching at a studio in Clearwater, FL. I'm 19 years old. I've been dancing since I was 3 and although growing up, ballet was always my "thing", I teach hiphop and a class called urban ballet (a jazzed up kind of ballet...almost like lyrical). I still am not sure if I've completely gotten the hang of this whole teaching thing, but I'm trying hard and working hard and am still enjoying every minute of it all!
Katie
By SpringsDance
On Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:31 PM
Hi All,
I started dancing late, age 10. I took ballet and jazz. After breaking a toe (chasing a big brother through the house) I primarily took Jazz and modern classes through high school and college. I also cheered my Senior year in High School. I have been teaching off and on (we have moved several times) during the last 10 years, primarily the little ones and worship dance classes. I love teaching 3-7 year olds. They are so much fun and little sponges who soak up everything you give them. Plus, they adore their teachers (usually..hahaha!). I don't have any formal teachers training, but plan to get to a certification workshop next summer. Experience counts, but sometimes folks want to see certifications.
I now own an "arts center" where we offer dance, music, drama, and art classes for people of all ages. This is its first year and we are up to 65 students and adding more each day. I have other teachers who teach for me. I also teach 4 classes at a local community center, they are full with LARGE waiting lists.
This is why I started the arts center...to be able to offer more classes.
Oh, yeah, I am almost 34 with two little girls and a husband who is a professional guitar player. Yes, it is fun being married to a musician!
By jksuny
On Fri Sep 10, 2004 06:40 PM
My name is Julia. I am 26 years old and have been dancing since the age of 5. I have been working as a teacher for the past 4 years, and I love it!!! My full-time job is in the public health field and I am back in school part-time pursuing my Masters degree.
I attended college at SUNY Brockport in Brockport, NY where I studied modern dance with Garth Fagan Dance and ballet with Timothy Draper of Rochester City Ballet.
I currently teach tap, modern and ballet at Carol Ann School of Dance. Modern is definitely my favorite!!

It was great learning about all of you :)
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers.... (karma: 1)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sun Sep 12, 2004 09:09 PM
I am originally from New York City where I taught for 20 years before moving to PA. I am in PA. since 1992 and opened my own school in fall of 1993.

I was trained with a multi-dance form school in Queens, NYC, NY and also on full scholarship with the Joffrey Ballet School (formerly called the American Ballet Center) in Manhattan.

I danced some theater and in a song and dance act in night clubs while I started teaching at the same time.

I fell in love with teaching, so here I am almost 50 and still teaching for over 30 years.

I was married in Sept. of 1975 and had my son in 1980 and my daughter in 1982.

I lost my son this past March to a drunk driver but am handling things well (if that is at all possible). Other than that I am quite blessed and love my work.

I also work part-time for a newspaper designing ads and writing an occasional article. I have written some articles for dance publications, too.

I love to talk, sing, be the center of attention, camp, swim, travel, go to theater and movies, even by myself if I have to. I sometimes put my foot in my mouth when my passion and emotions lead my tongue instead of my brain.

I am very spiritual but no longer practice any organized religion. I pray a lot and try to lead my life by the Golden Rule.

I hate unfairness and will speak out against anything or anyone I deem to be unfair, which has gotten me in to trouble sometimes (not legally, thank God).

I love animals and even though dogs are great, cats are the most amuzing creatures because they are fiercely independent like me.

I love to decorate and watch all the home improvement channels but let my husband do most of the cooking (he watches the cooking channel) - we are quite mixed up!

I survived Breast Cancer in 1992, the year I moved to PA and my once skinny body got much bigger from chemo therapy.

Don't look at my past "bad experiences" and say, "Oh, poor JLL. God knew what he was doing and I am here to take the challenges of life. If I were not I would never have opened a dance school!!!

I love being on the computer and visiting dance sites.

I have met many wonderful people on this and other dance sites.

:)
By shimmybridget
On Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:30 PM
I'm not SCB but I know what vaganova is.

Vaganova Method of ballet is the russian method of ballet, it's a technique that you use to teach ballet, how they hold their head, which port de bra is which, body positions, arabesques, & fouettes, etc. are all taught in a certain style & way. I studied it when I attended Point Park College with instructors from Russia.

Cechetti Method of ballet is the other method of ballet, it's the French method of ballet, and that is a different technique used to teach ballet. I studied this method of ballet for 14 yrs. at the studio I attended growing up, and it's a little different then vaganova. There's pluses and minuses to both, now as a studio owner I try to incorporate a little bit of both. For instance I like the way in vaganova you use you head and hold it instead of just stairing straight forward like you do in the cechetti method, but I also like how in cechetti there are 6 port de bras instead of only 3 in vaganova.

I hope you understand it better now, it's hard to describe with out a visual.
By candygirl14_2002
On Wed Sep 15, 2004 07:10 AM
hi everyone! im Jen and im 18. i have been an assistand teacher for 5 years but have been qualified for a year. currently i am qualified to teach tap, modern and disco (which includes rock n roll and streetdance) and im in the middle of studying for my ballet, highland, national and majorettes exams.

i teach for my old teachers school with my sister who is 24. once i pass all my associate exams we will branch out and start our own school. as ive been teaching for a short time i need all the help i can get - so you will find me asking alot of questions on here! lol!

i teach kids aged 5-17. my favourite style to teach is tap although i love my disco too. but i feel tap is one where you feel great once a kid has finally understood a step - like the time step for example.

anyways, thats all really. i hope to teach dancing full time someday but currently i dont have the time - im at University and work in a pub too!

Jen x
By BalletBratmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 15, 2004 07:26 AM
Hi Shimmybridget, Cecchetti is actually the Italin method, named for Enrico Cecchetti. :)
By girlladybug
On Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:02 PM
Hi! My name is Jo Ann and I am from San Antonio, Texas. I have had my Studio for 28 years. I have two children (1 girl and 1 boy) and a grandson 19 mo. old and one more on the way(Due in March). I was trained in ballet by a Russian teacher that was brought to the US in the 70's. My favorite thing to teach is the babies. (They love you unconditionally). I teach the Al Gilbert tap technique and have all grades. I love tap too! My studio has 6 teachers and a receptionist. I am also a professional clown. I use my clowning as a minestry to children who are terminally ill. My next gig will be the American Cancer Societies Halloween Party. It is very sad to see these kids but very rewarding to make them smile. It also helps to keep your own problems in perspective. I am 62 years old but plan to continue to teach dance as long as I am able. That's it for me.
By Chepyl
On Fri Sep 17, 2004 09:45 PM
Actually, Cecchetti is Italian, the French school is completly different. In addition to those and Vagonava there are also RAD and Balanchine.
By Chepyl
On Fri Sep 17, 2004 09:46 PM
Edited by Chepyl (92442) on 2004-09-17 21:58:33 messed up, posted the same thing twice...here's my story
Hi my name is Cheryl, I am 25 years old and have been teaching for 6 years. I taught at the studio where I studied when I was 16-17. I taught children's tap. For the past 4 years I have taught at a studio in Missouri and I love it. My husband and I thought we were moving, so at recital the studio directors announced I was moving and my students came up to me afterwards and we cried (I cried) for over an hour...each time one student leave another would come up for a hug and I would start all over. It was a hard day, summer classes were even worse because the older girls came because it was their last time to study with me...BUT a month before we were to move the studio directors offered me a full time position and we decided to stay...it was a hard decision...but it has been great!

When I started teaching the ballet program at the studio consisted of 10 girls in 3 classes. I started teaching mid year and added 2 students, the next year we added a prepointe class and I had about 25 students...now...4 years later I have 10 levels of ballet, 4 levels of ballet (in 3 classes because of space) I have over 100 students (I think) I haven't counted in a while...I LOVE what I do!

I have dance 22 years (since I was three) I have always loved it. I went through a phase in middle school where I wanted to quit. But my mom, knowing I really loved it wouldn't let me. She let me stay home a couple weeks then sent me back and we started looking for a new studio for high school and after that it was great! The teacher that has most influenced me was my high school teacher/studio owner. She really made me love what I did. She has also been very supportive of me as I started to teach. I see her once a year when we go to the same competition!

I could go on...but I need to get some sleep!
By raqs
On Sat Sep 18, 2004 06:42 AM
everyones sounds so exiting :(

I have only just qualified as a teacher and am hoping to start my own classes in the next few months.

but I have been choreographing for local theatre groups for at least 10 years, and doing dance workshops at my local theatre. since I left school :)

I have danced all of my life (not continously though or i'd be exhausted ha ha!) (sorry bad joke) :( and studied dance at college also.
By kabdancer
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:32 PM
Hi My name is Kym ( 30 something )and I'm a fairly new member on this site, But so far I love it. I particularily love this teachers only thread. I live in Halifax NS Canada. I have been teaching for about 16 years, mostly Jazz and Tap, but also some Funk, Musical theatre and body percussion. I am an independant choreographer, meaning I basically work for myself and get commissioned to do work on local companies and other dance presentations. Choreographically alot of my work is Modern with obvious influences from my jazz adn love for rhythm. I guess that's all for now. Nice to meet you all.

cheers
By bisousbisou
On Fri Sep 24, 2004 08:51 AM
HI!
I'm Suzanne, grew up in NYC and trained there with some of the greatest teachers in the country (mostly Chuck Kelly). I'm 40 years old, I have been teaching for 24 years. I moved to Florida in 1996 and opened my studio last fall. I teach ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical and acrobatics. I also judge dance competitions...I have judged for Headliners, Starquest and ADA.My daughter was born in 2000 and since then I really can only judge nationals in the summer, and its usually for ADA. Right now I am focusing on the 10 and unders while I build up my enrollment. We had 56 kids last year and this year, as of yesterday, we are up to 105! I don't really enjoy teaching the ages between 12 and 16, so I hired some terrific teachers to do that, plus I like to be home at a reasonable time to get my daughter fed, bathed and put to bed at a normal time.
Nice to meet you all!
Suzanne
By just_jazzin
On Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:33 AM
Edited by just_jazzin (15149) on 2004-09-27 12:04:56 Adding to it!
Hi My name is Kim Lindquist.I grew up in Westchester county, New York. I'm 36,and have been dancing since age 4. My First Teacher was Sis of Rolynn dance studio, based in Yonkers, N.y. for 50 years. (She taught my mother too!)
My Studio is Kim's school of dance.(DFW Texas) Teaching Ballet,tap,jazz,pom,& Liturgical. I am currantly in Ft.Worth,Tx. However, I am in transtion of moving to SLC, Utah. I have been teaching for 7 years. (My studio is based out of my home for the moment. I do a lot of free lance choreography.) We are trying to buy a home in Utah that has a lg. 2 car garage. (I would also like a job teaching at a studio, any takers?) I also teach through out the Dfw area for local churches, homeschool groups, and general public. I have been attending college for the past 2 years. I am wanting to get my certifcation through Dance masters.
I Knew at age 4 that I wanted to teach dance. My very first teacher was my second inspiration, my inner being was my first. However, I did not think I was good enought to teach because of my weight (180),and other factors. Mostly I doughted myself becasue of my view of others jugement. I was involed with being a student until I turned 19, and then fell in love, got married(age 23),and bailed out of dance classes. I tried to become a hair stylist but when I went (3 times)to take my test, I would fail by one or 2 points. While at the testing center I felt compeled to get back into what I loved.But lack of money keep me down on my dreams until at age 27. When I was asked to help with a ballet class at church. Soon I was a student teacher,and then teacher.

Soon students/parents would come up to me and ask If I would come over to their home and help(teach) their child. A lot of the parents would come up to me and ask me if I'd thought of having my own studio,and the rest is history.
I also sell dancewear to parents & students to support my low income students.
I am married to my best male friend ,Clark,and we are plaining on a large adopted family in the near future.
My hobbies are fishing, volleyball, and any outdoor sports. I like a lot of things but, don't have time!
By danceofteacher
On Mon Sep 27, 2004 01:48 PM
hi i'm 22 years old and i teach in high school in redcar in england. i joined this site today as i need to find some contacts in the dance teacher world! ive been dancing since i was 3 and love it, i have a degree in dance and last year after i finished i went to hungary for a year to teavh in a small englansh dance school for ten months. im now at my 1st proper job and im finding it quite hard. the english school system still doesnt accept dance as a subject by itself so i have to find all my information from p.e. sites if you have any idea where i could find more info then please do let me know.
oh and by the way i didnt mean to write my name backwards!!
By ydonaghy
On Tue Sep 28, 2004 06:22 AM
hi there,
i am a teacher and have been for 18 years. beginning my 19th, i have owned my own school for 15 and have begun our 16th a few weeks ago. i specialize in acrobatics but teach it all. i love the little ones!! they are so much fun. i have three children 17, 16 and 9 and the most wonderful husband to ever have lived.
i teach all my own classes and generally teach 7 days a week. i used to have an assistant, but i opened another school for her so now i am by myself. i have a couple really great 16-18 year olds that help alot. this is the first year i hired these ladies to work for me in other aspects. one is in charge of all the finances and the other does all the public relations. she organized all competittion information and dancewear etc. it has freed me up alot and i am able to focus on the real work.
i hope that is enough info for you. respond if you like.
ydonaghy
By bisousbisou
On Mon Oct 04, 2004 05:07 PM
By the way- I just got my avatar....thats my dog ,Indiana Jones aka Indi. He is my first "baby" and I love hime to death!!
Great topic.....me! (kidding)
By Tee4two
On Wed Oct 06, 2004 05:46 AM
Hi, I'm Hellen and I teach in Canada. I've been teaching Jazz, Tap, Acro, Ballet, Lyrical, hip hop and break dancing for fourteen years. I could go on about my credits but it will sound like a resume ;) so instead I'll tell you about my wacky studio, fun challenges and the satisfaction of art comming alive!
An ordinary day at the studio consists of this; three cups of coffee, two dry shirts, hours upon hours of sweating, laughing in the waiting hall and lots of thank you's and goodbye's. I have managed through years of experience to find that place where I can be a friend and respected teacher. My mentor is my boss. She is a lady that can still tap circles around me at the age of 74. She has taught generation after genaration and can remember every students name. She ownes the longest privately owned dance school in all of Canada, of 49 years and still says she'll never retire. Wow! So between a charismatic dance diva boss and the best students I could ask for, there is always an energetic charge to the school. I have been told that I am very lucky whenever I say I love what I do, and it's true. There is nothing like being creative and watching satisfaction on a childs face when they have achieved what they thought was impossible. From 3 year olds to 60 year olds, they have left my classes with a smile on their faces and a pain in their butts and I find I'm always left with a feeling of excitement.
By shimmybridget
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:02 AM
I know ballet orginated from Italy but I seriously was taught that it was the french method my teacher must have been wrong. I never knew it was Italian. I studied the ballanchine way it's similar to vaganova, I hated it, but that's just me. I do like cechetti better when your training dancers in ballet, tap, & jazz. If I were training dancers to just do ballet or to be professionals I would choose vaganova. Thanks for making me feel stupid. Any ways, I'll research it on the internet more and think before I speak again.
By madtapnB
On Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:14 PM
Hi All.
Great thread Diva!
So I began dancing at the age of 7 (a little late, IMO) but I was old enough to want to stick to it.
I danced Ballet, Tap and Jazz. Dropping the ballet after 5 years, dropping the tap after 7 years and continuing on with Jazz baby! ;) I went to college at 16 for business because I was working full time and living on my own so I tried to take courses that would propel me further in my job. (aka-corporate hell!) So dance was taking a back burner. :(

I married and had kids while still in college.
I wanted to be back in dance, and went back into regular classes in the evening when I was 19 and have continued to do it. I've never wanted to dance professionally, I really just wanted to teach.

Lately I have also been studying other areas of dance as well- trying new things.

This is my first year teaching. Kind of a flub really. Was asked by a friend to teach after doing some semi private lessons. I can only say, it feels so good to do what I've always loved doing as my job, rather than slaving away in an office like I did for so long.

Its been a great interesting road for sure.

All the best,
B.
I Agree
By Rhtyhm
On Thu Oct 14, 2004 06:55 PM
I am new the the forum, but have known about it for a while. I am the Director of Dance at the Performers Academy in Laguna Hills, CA. I am Hip-Hip Choreographer from film, Video, Showcase, and fitness. I live in the Orange County area and I have been a master instructor for a while. I never had any formal training, I just feel...and that is what I teach. I have been for 6 years.I am located at the Performers Academy (.net). To tell you the truth I am inspired by movement i.e. Rhythm+Dance...IF NOT NOW WHEN
By dance4starzPremium member
On Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:00 AM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Patty, I teach at Miss Julie's Dance and Fitness Studio in Pennsylvania, I also teach in Mt. Pocono,PA. I am 26 yrs. old and this is my 5th year teaching. I teach ballet, jazz, tap, funk, lyrical, and tumbling. I started dance lessons when I was 5 and I never stopped. I took lessons in ballet, lyrical, tap, and jazz. I grew up in New Jersey and I started taking lessons at Gloria Frances School of Dance in Wayne. I moved when I was 13 and I continued taking lessons at a new studio in Lincoln Park called Dance Place Plus. That's when I realized I wanted to be a dance teacher. My dance teacher's name that inspired me was Monica Portela. She made dancing so much fun and never held me back. I learned more in that 1st year than the last nine years I had been taking lessons. Now that's what I give back to the students I teach. I hope to open up a studio in the future. I'm also going for my DMA certification this summer.
Page:
Page 2 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch