Forum: General

Page:
Page 4 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 24, 2004 06:45 AM
Huh? ^

Is everyhing Okay?

Was that for me?

I am confused.
By divadivadancer
On Fri Dec 24, 2004 07:56 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-03-08 11:42:28 Please spell out the words you and your....u and ur are netspeak.
Dont worry your not the only one. Whats that all about????
By JulieBDancerPremium member
On Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:15 AM
Hello, I'm new to this site but not new to dance. I'm 37 years old, starting my training at 5 years old. Still keep in touch with my first teacher, Joyce Bennett and her daughter Leslie. Trained with wonderful teachers, Chet Zercher & Irma Millard in my "hometown" studio. Also studied at School of the Pennsylvania Ballet in Phila. and with Luigi and Phil Black in NY. I performed professionally for over 15 years. I started teaching in my teens and continued teaching on and off throught-out the years, for the last 6 years I have taught steadily. I teach ballet, tap & jazz mainly...pretty much all ages. My current teaching job is teaching ballet/jazz/tumbling combo class for 3-5 year olds and an adult beg. jazz.

I recently moved to this small town in East TN from Orlando where I was teaching ballet, theater dance in the academy's formal program and teaching adult classes in ballet & jazz.

I found this web site while surfing the net for lesson plan ideas for my little ones. This is my first post, I have never done anything like this before. A little guidance in my quest for ideas would be appreciated. The studio I teach at now is A LOT different than where I was, I like it but feel a bit lost. Thank you, I've read a ton of these postings and what a great group of teachers, though I'm feeling old that's for sure I would have not had the guts to open a studio at 20 years old, kudos to those of you who did and are succeeding.
By Alaskadance
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 05:38 PM
Divadivadancer and SCBdancer, Pennsylvania Academy of Ballet also has a terrific Vaganova teacher's workshop each summer, as well as Dmitri Rudenov's Ballet Intensive from Moscow. I'll get my little bio on here soon, but I've really enjoyed reading everyone else's...
By Alaskadance
On Tue Jan 04, 2005 06:00 PM
Edited by Alaskadance (73070) on 2005-01-04 17:53:01 typos
Hello all-
I'm not sure how many people will read down this far, but after reading through most everyone's posts on this thread, I figured I might as well add.
I'm 24, and as you can tell from my screen name, an Alaskan. I live and teach on Kodiak Island, where I grew up. Not a whole lot of opportunity for professional-quality training while I was growing up, but since then the community has been fortunate to have some wonderful Vaganova-trained teachers move here. There are two studios in this small fishing-based town, and in my non-dance life I am a graduate student in Fisheries Biology. (when I need a break from numbers and data, I sneak a few minutes on this site)
I had assisted and done some teaching in high school, danced wherever I could while in college Outside (ie. anywhere not Alaska), and then moved back to Kodiak a few years ago. I was fortunate to take class under an instructor named Alexandr Saminov, who moved here from Florida, and to teach a few beginning ballet classes. Unfortunately Alex had to move again, and I was offered the job.
it is still totally terrifying to be teaching the classes I used to dance with, but my studio director is an incredibly supportive and caring person. I'm finding choreography to be the most challenging aspect of teaching, and I sure have gotten in good shape teaching 15 hours a week, plus any additional weekend rehearsals!

This summer I'm planning on attending at least one teacher's workshop; I've been to John White's Vaganova seminar, and loved it, as well as Broadway Dance Center's Teachers Workshop. If any of you have suggestions on workshops to attend, I'd appreciate it. I would like more theory than just combinations to dance, if possible!
Take care, and thanks divadivadancer for starting this.
By MissRdM
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:42 PM
My name is Rene, and I live and work in PA and am 23 years old. I'm currently a math teacher and dance teacher at a boarding school. (I know, math and dance...I get strange looks and get asked how I managed that combo all the time.) My passion of course is teaching dance. I've been teaching dance for 4 years and student taught for 1 year. I teach just about everything...ballet, pointe, modern, tap, jazz, hip-hop, and lyrical. Before teaching at the boarding school I taught at a couple private dance studios in my area.
By batd_teacherPremium member
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 03:55 PM
Hi everyone! I've mostly posted over on the Highland site and am just taking time now to "Browse" around the rest of dance.net.

I am a certified Highland dance instructor (BATD), and teach in Northern Ontario - Timmins. I've never studied any other form of dance, not to say that I don't love all forms! Just never really had the time. Oh, wait, can't say that! I actually took a year for Step dancing. That was fun.

I have a very small studio in Timmins with a few serious competitors who are just moving up the ranks now. And started teaching at another studio about an hour away.

I used to compete in the '80's then life and such interfered. I am a "late in lifer" teacher. I just got certified in 2000 at the tender age of 30. What can I say, I missed it and would'nt trade dance for all the chocolate in the world!
By KataNina
On Tue Jan 18, 2005 02:53 AM
Hy there!
I'm new on this site, but I teach dance for almost 15 years. I'm 28, live in Croatia and have my own (small) dancing studio. There are two more teachers in our studio. We are not professional dancer cause of the lack of dance schools in Croatia (you can be a ballerina or an aerobic instructor, which I was but didn't liked so much). So, we are trying to collect information, going to all sorts of seminars (modern, jazz, pilates, power yoga, stuff like that) to stay in touch and to get all the information we need. This weekend we invited couple of capoeira teachers to our studio to show us all some of their rutines.
(Sorry for my English, guys)
Hope to hear from some of you who like to exchange ideas and who knows - maybe visit us someday! :)!!!
Hugs from Croatia!
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 18, 2005 04:53 PM
My name is DeLyn, I'm 22 and trying to get through college (dance degree) but having a rough time b/c of $$. So I recently took yet another semester off from college. This is my thing that is really irking me right now *sighs* But I will get on...anyway, I've been teaching since after high school. I started off teaching a few summer classes and private lessons at my own studio I took from growing up...and now I have been a regular teacher at a different studio for the past 3 years. I live in Oklahoma City, OK and the studio's name is Basically Ballet. It is strictly a recreational studio and often times my students are lazy and don't care (hehe). This is my 2nd year with the middle school hip hop class and 1st year with the middle school ballet and tap classes (which are mainly the oldest girls at the studio). I am working hard on getting them more involved, working harder, ect. They used to come to ballet class in sweats with their hair down and didn't know the difference between a tendu and a pirouette. They are doing much better now, haha. Leotards, tights, and are progressing in their ballet vocab. We can get through an entire barre now without me having to explain a word, and they are looking much better....

wow. too much information. I'm really involved with my girls and they mean a lot to me. I also teach little ones, and elementary school ages as well. Besides the middle schoolers, we do have ONE high school/college age class - hip hop. I take it too, just for fun. It is mostly beginning and the teacher is also a college student. She won't be coming back next year and I am looking to take over the class so we can keep some of the students for longer than a semester or two and get them interested in other forms of dance as well.

Besides the owner, I've been the studio's longest teacher. I'm hoping to become slighly more involved and start working the students towards more class time and getting them some performing opportunities.

pretty much, I really like teaching and have always wanted to do it.
Rose
By gypsy05
On Thu Jan 27, 2005 07:52 AM
I was a mum for 15 years, i put myself through my teachers 5yrs ago and have never looked back. I have 3 daughters one of them is in Australia and used to dance for a teacher in Accrington and also in Paisly. My middle daughter also danced 4 teacher in Accrington she works in a bank but has joined the police force. My youngest is a hairdresser, b4 doing hairdressing she was accepted to do dance at Telford college in Edinburgh but changed her mind, she wants me to put her through her teachers. I also work in a residential home 4 people with dementia i love it.
By anselannePremium member
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 09:24 AM
My name is Samantha and I am 29 years old- I have been dancing since I was three, like many of us and I have been teaching for 11 years. I recently relocated back to NJ after living in the Phoenix area for five years.

The studio that was trained at is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year and I must say that I both gained and lost my lust for dancing from those instructors. They gave me a firm foundation and I thank the director, Nadine, for this-She is an amazing woman. I often smile at myself in the mirror, in class, as I hear myself giving corrections in the exact same manner she gave me..ohh..20 years ago! I went on to college at IUP, in PA where I regained my passion for dance and performance-more to proove something to someone-but the outcome was the younger version of the woman I am today-A passionate teacher and choreographer! I actually taught my first classes on my own in the small town of Punxsutawney PA, where the groundhog festivities take place!! After college I landed a great first teaching job for a woman I forever thank for instilling in me tremendous leadership qualities and compassion-To this day I think back to advice she and her husband gave me and use it on a daily basis in the classroom with my pre-school students. I worked for Robin Horneff for five years before headed out to Arizona. (OHH I was in a crazy dance company for a while there-it was work but it ended up being performances for weddings etc and eventually getting oogled at and dancing with old men!! YUCK!! I was young...it was an experience to say the least!) This was a whole new style for me-but I grew to love it!! Students I worked with there were so focused and technically fantastic-I miss those girls. I was the director of a student company in Mesa. I now reside back in NJ where I work at two studios in the area.

My passion is lyrical and getting a student that can make the visions in my head a reality. I love to push the flexibility and cross that with the emotional contortions of the torso and arm extensions-it can be beautiful! Now to find those students, we all know that is the trick!!

I've worked for many people, both good and bad, and taught many students-both talented, and those you would rather see go play soccer-where they would be more sucessful...I am not being cruel-you know there are some bodies that just cannot understand what we are trying to instill in them...everyone is not a dancer!!...And I hope in the next ten years of my life I continue to teach and create passionate dancers-

Be Well-Happy Dancing! (A term I've certainly stolen from that wonderful teacher celebrating her 50th anniversary!:))
By kdaledancer
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:45 PM
A bit of info. on me:

I am 29 (ahhh 30 in a couple months). I started dancing (Tap, Jazz and Ballet)at age 7 and Pointe at age 12 in New York. I began ass't teaching at age 14 and started on my own 2 years after.

I moved to NC w/my family as a IBM transplant. I danced with a competitive studio in Raleigh, and also taught for them for a total of 4 years. I left to have and then went back after having children (2..1 boy and 1 girl).

I left the Raleigh studio, which was just too large for me, for a smaller studio. I taught in smaller town near my home for 2 years, after realizing I have dreams and ideas of my own, and needed to express that. I am now the Artistic Director of a new studio (140+ kids). I love everything about it!

I am not that exciting! Just a teacher:) I love what I do... :)
By skidance
On Tue Feb 08, 2005 07:18 AM
My name is Michelle. I have been teaching for about 12 years now and it makes me feel old when my little ones grow up and I see them driving their cars! I have my own studio and we are in our second year. We do tap, jazz, hip hop, ballet, lyrical, pointe. I started taking class when I was three but we didn't do anything. I remember when I was 7 and taking ballet and all we did was run around as buttlerflies. I probably loved it, but it did nothing for my technique. I finally got into a good school, but not till I was 14. I had a great bunch of teachers that taught me pretty much everything I know. I left there a few years ago and taught for a friend for a year and half before opening my own. I love to teach pretty much everything, and I love to see the dancers at the end of the year and see how much they have grown. Especially when one decides to come out of her shell and not worry about if she looks funny or not but dance because she loves it! I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. thanks
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:45 AM
your name: Natasha

name of studio: Kathy's Dance Academy (Montreal Canada)

your age: 19

how long you have been teacing: I started to assist my teacher with the younger kid's classes when I was 13. At 16 I was given my own classes. So I have been teaching by my self for about 3 or 4 dance seasons.

what styles you teach: Basic Ballet (3-4-5-6) year olds, Tap, Jazz, Funky Hip Hop.

how you learned: I was told that when i was younger, i learned by watching and observation. Still today, i always watch my own teacher (since i still take classes) whenever she demostrates a step before i try to imitate it. I like to master the steps in my mind before putting them into action, and i encourage my students to do the same by having them recite the counts or steps out loud as we practice. I also love to watch dance movies, old videos from the 70's and 80's, and the other teachers from my studio. We all get inspriation from each other!

if you danced before: I began dancing when I was 3 years old, and I joined this studio when i was 6. I have been there for 13 years!

if so what you took: Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop (i still take these classes)

who inspired you: My dance teacher and studio owner Miss Kathy. She always believed in me, and never let me say "I can't". She always encouraged me, even if i was having a bad dance day. I always knew that she was behind me 100%.

And do you remember your first dance teacher?: yes but she was not important to me like Miss Kathy was and still is :)

I absolutely LOVE teaching so much, that as well as teaching at the studio, i am studying to become an elementary school teacher at McGill University. Teaching is my passion, and I love the kids. Going to the studio every day makes me so happy; and the kids (especially 8 and under) really make me smile. Also, knowing that the older students look up to me as a role model really makes me proud. When they perfect a certain difficult move, I feel so happy that i was the one to teach it to them. I love watching them from the curtains at our end of year recitals. The smiles on their faces and the happiness and feeling of success that they have is more than i can handle. I just love it!
By batd_teacherPremium member
On Tue Feb 15, 2005 04:41 PM
We have Croatian dancers who perform at our local Multi-cultual festival in traditional dresses. Our community has a very strong ethnic background and I just love to watch the dancers perform.

Big hi from me!
By spongecake
On Thu Feb 17, 2005 05:44 PM
My name's Rachel,i'm 19 and I am currently teaching at a school in Sydney, Australia. Like Miranda i've also done a couple of major teaching exams with the FATD, I have my intermediate one in april. I have been an assistant teacher over the last 3 years and this year I am teaching my own classes as well as assisting. I am also starting a Bdance education which i am soooooo excited about.
By mad_tapper
On Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:01 PM
Hey, I'm 15 and I teach and dance in Ontario, Canada. This is my second year as an assistant teacher (I teach kids ages 2-8 in jazz, ballet, creative movement and tap). I've been dancing since I was 3 and competing just since I was 11. I dance in jazz, tap, ballet, pointe and a teeny bit of modern and lyrical. I started off as a volunteer assistant teacher last year and now I get paid and work over march break as a dance teacher and over summer as a camp counsellor. I love to teach kids to dance and everything that comes with it- the costumes, the music, the recitals (but not parents' day). I want to open a dance studio as soon as I can.
By PasDeChaval
On Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:29 PM
Edited by PasDeChaval (122778) on 2005-03-01 23:21:30 timeline
Edited by PasDeChaval (122778) on 2005-03-01 23:22:21
Edited by PasDeChaval (122778) on 2005-03-01 23:23:03
I began taking dance at 7 yrs of age because my sister's (she was 10 ) "boyfriends mom" taught dance. She danced for 2 years and I never stopped for long.

I danced with a mid-sized regional company in the 80s and began teaching in a "new" studio in the mid 80's. Last year I left that studio after 18 years (and their enrollment near 1000) to start out on my own. I have been in charge of recital planning and costume orders for years, and have found ordering and recital planning for 140 easier but changing times are limited due to so meny kids taking mutliple classes! (good problem to have I think!)

I am a teacher of 19 years and a studio owner for less than one. I teach ballet and baby classes (starting at 2 yr olds).

I have only been on dance.net for a few week, however I have found the teacher and owners board full of wonderful advice. (hi JLL aka Surviv.. had to add to my "Pas" to be long enough to post!)
By nevroth
On Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:13 AM
Ms. Sofia is here, and yes, she is now a teacher (fancy that!). I'll be teaching Jazz and Modern for children (5yrs and up) starting at the end of March 05. At first I thought I would be teaching ballet, but went I went for the interview he wanted Jazz/Modern. It's not at a studio, but at a Parks and Recreation Center for the County of Los Angeles. Oh well, we all have to start somewhere ^^ I'm not new to children, but a bit new to teaching, so I sence I'll be on this board often ^^
By Footworks_Alimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 15, 2005 07:46 AM
your name: Alison

name of studio: Footworks Dance Co. hampshire UK

your age: 25

how long you have been teacing: I started teaching as part of my work experience from school when I was 15 and at 16 I took my Student teacher IDTA Freestyle.

what styles you teach: Street Dance and wedding first dances

how you learned: I started ballet tap ect when I was 2 1/2 years old and began disco and freestyle when I was 15. I did a BA Hons in contemporary dance and have taken classes wherever I can ever since. I love to go to Pineapple studios in London as they have some of the best teachers around.

who inspired you: My PE teacher at school was the first person to really believe in me and to say you can do it! Also my Mum.

And do you remember your first dance teacher?: Yes, she was obsessed with our weight and got stuck in a rut with her choreography. I left her when I was 15 after 13 years!

Having learnt from so many different people I have learnt what a good teacher is and what a bad teacher is. I feel it is so importaint that we don't forget that dancing is fun and once the joy goes out of it, there is nothing left.

LOVE WHAT YOU DO_ TO DANCE IS TO LIVE :)
By mbdance
On Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:09 AM
My name is Mary Beth and I am the owner of Dance Etc. in Kinston, NC where I am also the main teacher. I'm 39 and have been teaching since I was 14 (so I guess 25 years, wow). I teach around 23 classes per week - (I work Mon - Thurs 3:30 - 9:30) in tap, lyrical, pointe, jazz, and acro. With me being the "Jill" of all trades, I get the kids for about an hour per week in the discipline of their choice. So, my performing kids get me for an hour of lyrical and an hour of jazz (required for company). During that hour I have to cover technique as well as choreography for recital and performances. I know it may sound sort of lacking, but we really accomplish quite a lot in a short amount of time. Usually, we do rather well in competition.

I grew up in South Carolina and danced practically my whole life. I wasn't great in school and dancing was what I loved to do, so why not have a career doing something I love? I graduated from Columbia College with a degree in dance with a ballet specialization and a minor in arts management.

My dance teacher in SC was my inspiration to become a teacher. She made dance really fun and made sure if we had the desire to perform, we had the opportunity to perform. I can't tell you how many festivals, fairs, pageants, nursing homes, parades I've performed in. While I may not have had access to the best technique in the world, I had access to the joy of dancing for the pure pleasure of it. That sense of community has stuck with me to this day.

My studio is much more technique oriented than my childhood studio, but I still try to expose my kids to dancing for our community as well as dancing competitively. I feel that sometimes it's important to take a step back and not worry about trying to achieve perfection. To me, it's just as important to have fun and entertain for entertainment's sake.
By MissMaria
On Wed Mar 16, 2005 08:11 AM
Are you interested in a p/t job w/ a new studio in Limerick, PA
Teacher info
By Flava_Dance
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 01:13 PM
My name is Valerie, I have a studio in Utah. I have only been open for three months, but I have been teaching for 8+ years. My student base is adults, so adding kids in to my rutine is a little different and difficult at times, so if anyone has any ideas let me know. Everyone says the first months are the worst. On top of my dance studio my company also represents talent Dancers, singers, bands, models, actors. Im pretty buisy. I love it though, itmis kind of a challenge to have a
Hip Hop, Urban Funk, And brake dancing based studio. I have a lot of students, but everyone always wants the option for The classics Ballet and tap. When do you know when to Cut a class. I have a couple of classes that only have 2 or 3 kids in them, after being open for 3 months, compared to the other classes that have 5-20 students in them. Any way thats enough for now, thanks if anyone has any Ideas let me know. Val
about me!
By SPECIALTINC
On Sun Apr 03, 2005 08:31 PM
hi i'm Tara, from Ft. Lauderdale,Fl. I'm 28 yrs old, I also own an entertaiment company as well. I have an AA and a BFA in dance form New World School of the Arts in Miami. I teach ballet, jazz, modern, lyrical, hip hop and beg-intermediate tap. I love teaching all ages,kids just make me smile!! Right now I am teaching at a very high level competition studio and it gets a little stressful so I hope to make lots of friends to vent to!!!
By dancersedge
On Thu Apr 07, 2005 04:21 PM
Hello, I am Miss Heather and I am from Blackfalds, Alberta Canada. I am 25 years old and have been teaching dance for about 6 years. I went to school to be a school teacher but after two years decided that, that wasn't quite what I wanted to do. So I risked it all and opened up a brandnew dance studio, 1000 sq feet and called it Dancer's Edge Ltd. Well my first year I had 120 students and I was DELIGHTED!!! It was a dream come true. In January last year I obtained the next bay beside me and opened up another studio, another 1000sq feet. This year (my second season) I have 250 kids....And boy am I loving it. I still have to work a full time job (computer tech for the government), I do that 8-4:30 and then I teach dance from 5-10 every night. I don't even get tired..just so excited all the time.
I recently go engaged. So I enjoyed reading the poll "How do your husbands/boyfriends cope with you being a dance teacher". As it is challenging as our schedules conflict. But doing what I love is important and he sees that!!

Happy Dancing!
Heather
Page:
Page 4 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch