Forum: General

Page:
Page 5 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By dancersedge
On Fri Apr 08, 2005 09:43 AM
Hey Turningpointeda.....I am just turning 25 and I own my own studio now for 2years and I have 250 kids....sounds like you and I have a lot in common...would love to chat. I have only been a member on dance.net for two days now so I don't think I can PM but you can email me at dancersedgestudio@hotmail.com if you want.

Cant wait to chat!
By gingerbread
On Tue Apr 12, 2005 07:00 AM
Hi all!

I've been teaching ballet for about ten years or so.
(I'm forty-something now ;))
Before that I was a professional ballet dancer here in Europe.
My training started in the US (Oakland, CA.) and went on to Athens, Greece and London, England.

I do not have my own studio, but teach at several in the area.

-ginger
By streetdancer22
On Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:50 AM
Hi. I'm 21 from Manchester (UK) I've been teaching for the past 3 years. I started being trained in Ballet, Jazz, Modern, Tap and Contemporary. But now i teach Street and Hip Hop which iabsolutly love. I teach all ranges of kids from the babies (2-4) and all the way up to 18 year olds. I love teaching kids. I love teaching even more then i love performing. I have danced since the time i was 5 0r 6 years old and when i finished school i went on to a college to complete my National Diploma and i am Currently completeing my training with my BA Honors Degree in Dance and Musical Theatre....
By sue__d
On Sun Apr 24, 2005 02:30 PM
Hi, Been teaching for 23 years and have 2 assistants with me 26 and 22 years of age. Teach tap, jazz, ballet, lyrical, and hip hop. Have a ballet company and going to start a tap/jazz company probably by Jan. 2006. Go to lots of conventions and studied in LA years ago. Love what I do! I am a member of 2 dance organizations and enjoy both. Keep on dancin' sue__d
Almost a teacher
By Jewels_member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 28, 2005 04:16 PM
Hey, i'm 13 years old and i'm working towards becoming a full dance teacher. Our dance club got some new dancers and so my dance teacher wanted some help teaching. So theres My dance teacher, another girl as a helper and I trying to teach these dancers. Sometimes it gets a bit hectic in the room. I'm glad that i'm getting some experience teaching. Hopefully i can become a great dance teacher.

ps:if anyone has any suggestions i'm open for any ideas that will help me become a good dance teacher.
About me
By ethomas
On Wed May 11, 2005 02:24 PM
My name is Ebony Thomas and I am 23 years old. I am in the process of opening my first dance school. I've been teaching liturgical dance for 3 years, but I've always been a dancer. My parents enrolled me in ballet classes at the age of 5 but didn't push me when I didn't want to go back---BAD MOVE! Now, I have no technical training but am looking in to taking a weeklong intensive in ballet.
Anyone have any suggestions on broadening my dance curriculum from merely liturgical and hiphop and modern? I'd really like to offer ballet, but I don't know anything about it.
By e_hefley
On Fri May 13, 2005 11:32 AM
Hello. I am new to the site. I am a 27 year old with a undergraduate degree in Theatre and Dance. I have studied dance for almost my entire life. Most of the forms included studio dance such as tap, jazz and ballet. In college I began training in the modern style and soon it took over my life. Now I am a co-director of an improvisational dance collective and a new company member to a professional modern dance company. I hope to someday get my masters degree in Dance Education.
By Marjolein
On Sun May 15, 2005 05:28 AM
Edited by Marjolein (92268) on 2005-05-15 05:30:55
My name is Marjolein, 22 years ol,d from the netherlands.
I danced since i was six, the first question i said was: mam, when can i take balletlessons?
I started with childrens ballet lessons, later i started to take jazzdance, showmusicaldance, tapdance and musical theatre classes. My passion for dance is so big that i want to give my passion through to others, i think thats the drive to become a teacher, share your passion and the joy of dance.
I recently started to teach in case of my study: childrens circus, and as a result of that i'm invited to teach workshops
at primary schools. Im not a graduated teacher, but i think that doesn't matter that much. I trained for 16 years at different schoolsm with many different teachers, about a few days i start to train in my spare time at the Theatre School in Amsterdam. My last school i trained was danceflow.nl. and leidseballetschool.nl, i also trained at luciamarthas.com. My goal is to become a full time teacher. The group i most like to teach are kids, i als get positive reactions from kids and their parents about my classe, so that's the best compliment!
VAGANOVA
By Ballerina7878
On Tue May 24, 2005 02:04 PM
I teach vaganova too. I think it is a very good method to teach. It is a shame that we cannot do it the way the method is taught in Russia though. That is my dream to open a school for students just like the Vaganova Institute in Russia. That would be so fun. I just watched some videos from a lady who went there and it is so amazing how good the little kids are.
SCBdancer
By Ballerina7878
On Tue May 24, 2005 02:06 PM
Where do you teach?
SCBdancer
By Ballerina7878
On Tue May 24, 2005 02:07 PM
Where do you teach? I have been teaching for 6 years and teach the Vaganova method too. What ages do you teach and how many times a week do your students come?
Shimmybridget
By Ballerina7878
On Tue May 24, 2005 02:13 PM
There are 6 port de bras in Vaganova too. Cecchetti is the Italian. I do find it funny though that both the Russian and the Italian method us french terms and that there is no actual french method.
By BeckyP2
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 08:01 PM
Hello,

My name is Becky. I am 24 years old and have been dancing since I was 3. The teachers that I had growing up made me love dance. When I was about 13 I began assistant teaching a couple nights a week, and after graduating high school I had no intention of making dance a career. I knew that I wanted to keep up with it though, and so I joined Kent State's Dance team and chose a dance minor. After a year in the dance program, I decided to drop the minor because it was difficult to stay focused with everything else going on. However, I stayed with dance team and was on it for four years. I did a lot of choreography for the team, and was named technique captain in my third year. I started to really enjoy teaching and creating dances and ended up landing a summer job with AmeriDance, where teachers from all areas travel and teach at dance camps throughout the U.S. The next year I was apt at a dance camp that Kent State went to, and wound up working for Universal Dance Assocation. The experience taught me a lot about teaching all levels of dance, and how to break down different techniques and styles while at the same time keeping it fun and energetic. When I went back to school I changed my major from education to business in hopes that I might one day open a studio and be able to do what I love full time. During my senior year I began teaching at a local dance studio, and this is my third year of teaching there. Right now I am also in the process of opening my own place on the other side of town about 45 minutes away. I teach ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop and lyrical and would love to learn more. I hope this isn't too long and that I didn't bore everyone!
By kaygirlPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 02:00 PM
Hi! I meant to come back here earlier and introduce myself, but I was scatterbrained and forgot!

My name is Katy. I’m from Texas. I’m 29 years old, married, and have a three-year-old son. I started dancing when I was three, and danced until I was 24. The last seven years that I danced, I taught at the studio where I had been taking since I was six. I quit teaching when I graduated college…to get a “real job” (not my words, by the way, lol!). Anyway, I have missed dancing and teaching every single day, and finally came to the realization (duh!) that I was just not going to be happy without dance in my life.

The studio owner and I did not part on good terms (stupid, petty issues, looking back on it). It seems that the relationship is irreparable, and I’ve finally managed to move on. There are other studios in town, but having danced at one place for so long, I had a hard time feeling like I would fit in somewhere else. I know that sounds silly, but that was my frame of mind at the time.

I stumbled onto a teaching position for a summer class at a local community center – teaching preschool “jazz”. The first class was yesterday, and I had a blast! I had forgotten how much I enjoy teaching, and now I know that I really have to have dance in my life. So…right now I’m trying to figure out how to do that. I am thinking of approaching the community center about doing some beginning adult ballet and tap classes, and then just go from there.

I just wanted to “properly” introduce myself, and to say thank you. I have already gained a lot of knowledge just by reading the posts, and appreciate all the time and effort that is put into this place.

Thanks,
Katy
By Soulshaker
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 09:51 AM
I'M FROM NC. 23 GRADUATED THIS MAY WITH A BACHELORS IN HISTORY. WE DID NOT HAVE DANCE AT MY SCHOOL OUTSIDE OF CLUBS AND GROUPS ON CAMPUS BUT I DID AS MUCH AS I COULD. I CURRENTLY AM A COLLEGIATE CHEERLEADING COACH BUT MY FIRST LOVE IS DANCE. NEXT YEAR I WILL BE TEACHING DANCE AT A HIGH SCHOOL AND IT WILL BE A SMALL CHALLENGE BECAUSE I LOOK LIKE A TEENAGER. AT THE UNIVERSITY IT WAS EASIER BECAUSE I HAD CHEERED WITH THEM SO THEY KNEW "BIG RED" WAS NOT DIFFERENT AS A COACH. I AM VERY EXCITED BECAUSE I HAVE REAT IDEAS FOR A RECITAL AND DIFFERENT IDEAS FOR SCHOOL FUNCTIONS. WHAT ADVICE COULD YOU GIVE A NEW TEACHER STARTING OUT. IN HIGH SCHOOL, I WAS THE DANCE TEACHER ASSISTANT FOR TWO SEMESTERS, I TAUGHT SUMMER DANCE CAMPS AND CHEER CAMPS. RECENTLY I DID A DANCE TRAINING FOR FOUR WEEKS.SINCE SCHOOL IS I CAN'T GET IN CONTACT WITH ANY TEACHERS AND I WOULD LIKE INSIGHT FROM OUTSIDE OUR SYSTEM.
about me
By kasdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 04:09 PM
Hey there!
If you got this far and are reading my post...thank you!!!

My name is Kristin. I'm turning 25 this August and I have a BS in Dance Education. I've danced for Insync Dance Theater in Michigan and currently dance in Orlando in Disney's Parade Dept. I just started teaching again at a local studio for some extra money but am still focusing on a few more years of performing. I love that thi ssite exists- itis such a great supportive forum! Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences!
~Kristin
By TapN4u
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 06:44 AM
My name is Jerree. I'm a 34 year old wife & mother of 2 handsome boys and work full-time.

I started dancing at the age of 2 with a wonderful teacher who started her studio a year before I began with her. My favorite is tap, but I enjoy hip hop, jazz, ballet & lyrical. I danced with her for 17 years and make the mistake of leaving. I'm always looking to learn the new ideas.

Through the years I watched on tv and old famous broadway shows on video and had the itch to come back. I felt something was always missing and couldn't figure out what it was. I visited my dance teacher from time to time and she tried to encourage me to come back. Until I finally did and came back to her studio once again (with some encourage of my husband). Now that I'm back the void has now left and it finally makes me feel complete. I'm back to doing what I love most....and that's DANCING! :]
By catj8807
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 03:40 PM
Hi! My name is Catherine, or Cat for short, and I own and teach at To The Pointe Dance Center in North West Missouri. I started dancing when I was 4. I'm 16 now and have been open since St. Patrick's Day of 2004. I'm located in a town of about 140 people, and I had 14 stduents. I teach tap, jazz, and ballet. I would like to expand with a lyrical class, but I don't want to stretch myself too thin when school starts back up. Our first recital was last week, which went of without a hitch! Well, the rehearsal was cut short when the electricty went out due to a tornado, but rehearsals are always bad, right? Anyway, my summer session starts on Monday. I'm a little worried about the next two months, because almost all of my students from fall won't be back until next fall...school sports are my enemy! Anyway, this was a really great post, especially since I'm new. I can't wait to learn more about everybody's tips and tricks for teaching!
By catj8807
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 03:51 PM
Hi! My name is Catherine, or Cat for short, and I own and teach at To The Pointe Dance Center in North West Missouri. I started dancing when I was 4. I'm 16 now and have been open since St. Patrick's Day of 2004. I'm located in a town of about 140 people, and I had 14 stduents. I teach tap, jazz, and ballet. I would like to expand with a lyrical class, but I don't want to stretch myself too thin when school starts back up. Our first recital was last week, which went of without a hitch! Well, the rehearsal was cut short when the electricty went out due to a tornado, but rehearsals are always bad, right? Anyway, my summer session starts on Monday. I'm a little worried about the next two months, because almost all of my students from fall won't be back until next fall...school sports are my enemy! Ok, now about me. I've taken tap, jazz amd ballet since I was 4, and lyrical for 2 years. I began dancing at the Grand Junction Academy of Dance in Grand Junction, CO. When I moved with my family to Missouri, we searched for a school, but nobody would return our calls. Finally, one opened in a nearby town. We began dancing there, but had a bad experience in the way that the school was run...(long story). So, with no place to dance, my mom suggested that I open my own, and concentrate on teaching young girls. I teach 3-18. It's hard sometimes not having what my friends call 'a real job' that actually makes money, but the girls I have/had are so great, and I love being on stage and putting on a production. Anyway, this was a really great post, especially since I'm new. I can't wait to learn more about everybody's tips and tricks for teaching!
By catj8807
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 06:49 PM
!!!!sorry about the double post!!!! read the bottom one, it's the one i intended to post...
By anselannePremium member
On Sat Jun 18, 2005 03:25 PM
WOW! Your own studio at 16? Are you still taking classes, yourself? Hope things work out well for you over the summer- it can be difficult-best of luck to you!
By bisousbisou
On Mon Jun 20, 2005 05:55 AM
Just curious Catherine....do you have to pay rent? How can you with 14 students?
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:47 PM
My name is Jessica. I'm 20 and have been dancing for 17 years. I take ballet, tap, jazz, modern, irish step, and hip hop. I started teaching about 2 years ago. At that time, it was at an extremely small studio and I was teaching mostly 4, 5, and 6 year olds.

Now, I'm teaching ballet and pointe at the studio that I myself have taken from for about 6 years now. I'm having a blast! Teaching pointe is so much fun.

P.S. Can't wait for summer classes to start next Monday!
re: Please tell a little about yourself
By lyricbirdPremium member
On Tue Jun 21, 2005 09:13 AM
Hi,
My name is Liz and I'm 25. I live in NJ but teach in NY (state, not city). I started dancing when I was 3 and continued until I was 12 when I took a break. I returned at the age of 14 and by 16 I was helping out in some classes and had started competing. I spent my senior year assisting my teacher with 7 classes in addition to the ones I was taking. I also taught my first class - an adult jazz class that didn't have enough students to run (so I taught for free as a learning experience). I went away to school for a year and ended up becoming an assistant in some of the beginner dance classes my college offered.

When I came back home after that year I took the first level of training from DEA and started teaching at the dance studio where I'd been a student. The following year I took level II. I have now been teaching (officially) for about 7 years at the same place (this Saturday will be my 6th recital). I currently teach 10 classes in preschool, kinder, primary tap, beginning and intermediate jazz and tap, beginning lyrical and adult tap. Next year I'll have a similar workload but with no more younger classes (only beg & int classes).

I really love it - although this time of year is very stressful! I was recently offered a job at a second studio (in addition to the one I'm currently at) but have yet to decide if I want to or would be able to do both. We shall see!

~Liz
By catj8807
On Wed Jun 22, 2005 08:23 PM
smanthaaz...i've been searching for studio's to dance at that fit my schedule...any studio that is actually worth paying for won't take me because i'm a 'rival,' but i met another teacher in a nearby town who teaches in the building where i had my recital...i think i may begin classes with her. in the meantime, i'm really active in my jr. company class...i perform in the recital with them. i asked their opinion beforehand, whether or not they would want me to and they were like "yeah!" so in a sense, i kinda take classes from myself, if that makes any sense. one of the great things about owning a studio is i can drive 10 minutes and dance ANY time i want! i love it. yeah, summer session is going to be difficult, but i'm sure i'll pull through...atleast i hope to...thanks for the support!

bisousbisou...i was able to pay my first months rent with only 10! again, i teach in a small farm community...my rent is $140/month, not including utilities. the buildings are brand new, so even water/elec. don't get too steep. the 'old' town flooded in 1993, so they moved houses up on the hill, and built really innovative buildings. the highschool is a series of dome buildings designed to withstand tornados better! so i'm in a really good location, if i could just pull more students!
Page:
Page 5 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch