Forum: General

Page:
Page 6 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By sassydancer1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 25, 2005 09:59 AM
My name is Cathi. I am a happily married, 49 yr. old mother and have a daughter and a son. I have a 2 year old grandson, and a granddaughter who will be born in 2 weeks. I never took dance as a child or young adult, but gave it a try 5 years ago. I have found my passion!!!!
I am a member of a local performing Tap group. I also participate in 3 ballet classes a week, and have been taking pointe classes for a year now, and absolutely love the challenge! In addition to that, I teach 2,3 & 4 yr. old tap, ballet and gymnastics. I have recently taken an interest in Jazz. I am excited to learn from all of you, and forms new friends who share in my passion for dance.
Thanks for letting me share, and be a part of this aawesome site.
By littlenzteacher
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 01:31 AM
Hi, I'm Jacki (or Miss/Mrs Jacki to the students) I'm a classical Ballet teacher, from Northland in New Zealand. I work for Mrs Tess Graham, who has taught dance in New Zealand for over 55 years. She was my first teacher, and is still teaching me today. She was my true inspriration to become a teacher, along with her husband Wally. She was ultimate expectation, and he was ultimate faith when I was dancing as a student. I wanted to do my best to prove to her I could, and make hime proud. Now I work for them. I teach RAD ballet, and BTDA Ballet, Lyrical and Contemporary. Our studio is the basement of my bosses home and I teach the junior students (kinder to grade 3).

Dancing is like an extra heartbeat - you don't know you have it till its gone and then you'll do anything to get it back.
By tapfrogs
On Sat Jul 02, 2005 02:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm Corey, I'm 27, and I live in Chicago, (teach in the suburbs). I grew up in Michigan, dancing from age three. The studio I went to was strong in tap, and it is certainly the dance style that feels truly "me". I graduated with a BFA in dance and a business minor, after a lot of hard work! I feel proud to say that I, with fellow tap friends, helped to bring tap dance to the surface at a university whose dance dept did not fully appreciate tap as an "art".

A friend of mine from college opened a studio with her family when we graduated, and I teach tap, jazz, and modern at their studio. I couldn't ask for a better place to teach -- my friend and I have the same ideals about teaching dance, and she, her mom, and I are almost always on the same page with procedural stuff. It is ideal!

I am part of a professional nationally-touring jazz and tap compnay here in Chicago, and I also work an office job. I'm also married and have a dog! I love teaching, but cannot give up the rest of my crazy schedule yet -- mybe one day I'll be able to relax! :)
By DancinAngel19
On Sat Jul 16, 2005 07:23 PM
Hi! My name is Hannah and I'll be 17 in 11 days!! :) I've been dancing since the age of 6 taking tap and jazz. When I was 11, I started lyrical and 13 when I started ballet taking RAD exams. I do pointe, musical theatre and some modern and hiphop as well. Dance is my life and my passion. I can't picture myself doing anything else.
I've been teaching for 2 years now and LOVE it. Teaching tap and jazz. This school only opened 2 years ago and I was her first employee. Although I don't agree with her school, unfortunately (because she has no qualifications, I think I know more than her), I loved it there. They treated me so well. But I have left that school because I need to focus more on my dancing and teaching at my ballet school would allow me to do that. There won't be any conflicts with the different schools and the director will be writing my recommendation letters for university next year so I want to get on her absolute best side! lol. So I will be teaching all of the jazz and lyrical classes for her. I'm excited but I'm sad that I had to leave the other school. There were just too many conflicts, classes over lapping and what not. So I needed a change. And all the classes I teach will be scheduled around the classes that I take so it all works out. I'll be teaching there this year coming but teaching is not something I want to go into right after university or where ever I go. I want to perform first and later in my life have my own school or company or something. Definitely teaching though.
I'm huge on performance. I think it is so important. That and proper technique. See i'm from a small city in Atlantic Canada and nobody knows anything around here (the ballet schools are great though). I know more than almost all the teachers here. I'm not bregging but I go outside the city to get my training. I have connections in Ontario and in the states. Whenever they come home, I get them to teach me as much as they possibly can and then work at it on my own when they're not here. My ballet school is wondeful though. We follow RAD.
I love kids! They always put me in a good mood. Whenever I'm having a bad day I just want to teach becuase I know the kids will cheer me up. Even though I ha to leave that school, I've formed really good relationships with some of the kids and I talk to them every once and awhile. Oh, I forgot to say that I teach ages 3 - 10. And absolutely loved my 9&10s. They were the best! Anywayz, I'm rambling. So that was my story. Cya

Hannah
AKA - DancinAngel19
Hello!
By dancer3434
On Mon Jul 18, 2005 07:47 PM
Hello!

I am a new member, and I am so glad I found this site! I am very excited to join and share and learn. I am a college graduate with several teaching degrees, and with my Master's I will be adding one more. I have been teaching for about 6 years. I teach ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, and hip hop. I live in New York. I try to spend all my time either in the dance studio or on the beach. We have some awesome beaches in New York, and of course great dance opportunities so I am happy!

-Dancer3434
By paigeepops
On Thu Jul 28, 2005 09:16 AM
is it nice in florida and do u judge anywhere
xxx
paigee pops
xxx
By centerstage82
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 02:09 PM
My name is Shannon Van Gorden and I am 23 yers old. I teach at Festival of Dance in Orlando, Florida. This is my third year teaching and I have been an assistant for 4 years. I currently teach ballet, tap, acro, funk tap, character, lyrical, competition, jazz (classical and funk), and hip hop.

I was taught in New Jersey at the same studio for 18 years. I have been trained in all the areas that I am teaching.

My first dance teachers were Miss Lubya and Miss Janet.
By Splits1231
On Wed Aug 10, 2005 01:20 AM
I am Sheena. I have studied ballet, tap, jazz, modern, pointe, and hip hop in iowa and in WInona, Mn. I am a third year college student double majoring in Recreation & Tourism and Professional Studies Dance, with minors in Adventure Tourism,Dance, and Theatre. I was an assistant instructor all through high school, and now am teaching at a studio in my college town. I also participate in Dance Society, Wenonah Players, and Dance Ministry. I have represented my school at American College Dance Festival and the American College Theatre Festival. I will be teaching nine classes - everything from Creative Movement to Adult Jazz. I also choreograph for Wabasha-Kellogg High School's spring musical!
By dancrgrl
On Thu Aug 11, 2005 05:26 PM
My name is Andrea and I just turned 25. I grew up in eastern MA, north of Boston and began dancing at age 3. I studied tap, ballet, jazz and lyrical until I was 14. I've always loved to dance and choreograph so I was heavily involved with cheerleading in HS. I went to UMass and started to dance again and the year after I graduated I applied for a dance teacher position at a studio and got the job! This is going to be my 3rd year teaching and I'm excited to say that this year a friend and I are opening a studio together. Actually, it opens in Sept. and I'm very excited and nervous. If any studio owners have some advice I would love it. I enjoy reading about all of you and appreciate you sharing your experiences. Keep dancing!
I have a question
By topazman
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:47 AM
I'm working on a home project. I've made a tape of songs that depict my life story. Well, I've been e-mailing all kinds of people in dancers directories with no responses. Granted this is not any kind of real dance opportunity...but the videotape of the dancing would showcase a persons ability. So do you know anyone who would like to do something like this?
A little about myself...
By LasSylphide85Premium member
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 08:01 PM
There really is little about myself this year. I can't get a job. I am 27 in D.C. I have been dancing since 2 and teaching since I was 15 I was a professional gymnast and dancer, I am also an Army Brat so I moved everywhere. My mother is a dance teacher too. I miss our old studio so much me and my Mom had the best time. I wish she had never sold it! Now I am again in a different place contimplating getting outta here befor the lack of creative freedom makes me explode. Yes and I also have a daughter she is 6 and singing I have to get her out of here too cause theD.C.P.S. sux
To ImhTeacher
By topazman
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:16 PM
Dancer.net said you replied to my post. I just finished changing a few songs on the tape of my life story. I do have a draft saved in my e-mail account telling something about it. I just change the draft a little everytime when a different person requests information. I guess I would need an e-mail address to send the draft of the information to you if you are interested. I do think it would take dancing and gymnastics...cause some of the songs are too fast to dance to. It would burn up some of your creative energy. My brother is a lifer in the Army...but he has always been in one place. Maybe you would even know someone younger who could do this if you are not interested. This is just kind of an extracurriclar project for someone who would be interested. The music recording is ready to send to someone truly interested.
By dancinkay
On Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:57 PM
Hi my name is Kayla. I am 19 and I have been teach for a year. I started dancing when I was four years old. My senior year in high school, my choir leader wanted me to teach dance to her elementry music class. After this, I began volunteer teaching for the local Boys and Girls Club in Iuka, MS. I had a few of the student's mothers approach me about teaching private lessons, which I have been doing for the past year in the basement of my church. I am trying to expand my business by advertising and starting more classes. The name of my studio is On Your Toes Dance Studio. Our open registration is in 2 weeks.
Norway
By dancelion
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 02:11 PM
Hi!
My name is Monica Korcz, I'am 28 years old teacher with Assosie degree in Freestyle/Discojazz. I live in Norway (near Drammen) and teach F/DJ, funk and German consept Dance4Fans at Sissels Dancestudio - sisselsdans.no . I is my 5th year of teaching :) Love to teach, dance, and a good workout :)
Fitness, healthy nutrition and students dance enjoyment (most important), are my mottos.
Goles for the rest of this year: creating a competition "small group", adult classes.

Love Monica :)
New Zealand
By NZDanzer
On Sun Aug 14, 2005 03:44 PM
Edited by NZDanzer (138487) on 2005-08-14 15:49:50
I trained at the Australian Ballet School back in the early 80s, then went on to do several jazz/cabaret contracts overseas. Since having my 2 children, I have been in touch with my local ballet school and ended up taking classes again, which has been absolutely wonderful. So much so, I now teach there. I thought that once my career as a professional dancer had finished that that would be it. But it has been so wonderful to continue my passion for dance through teaching.
By giacm90
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 03:33 PM
Hi everyone- I'm Mary Ann. I was thrilled to find this site last week becasue after dancing at the same studio for 20 years, my teacher decided to close the studio---until my best friend and I decided to buy it!!!! Now starting in a month, my friend and I will be running a dance studio, something we both always dreamed about!!!! We both teach/take tap, jazz and hip hop. We stopped ballet years ago (I know what you're all thinking!). I am so excited but also stressed out beyond belief! I love teaching and am excited for the opportunity to run my own studio, under my own terms, and am thankful because I won't have to do it alone. Wish me luck!!! I'll be looking for advise on the owner's site.
never stop dreaming....
By jgari
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 06:47 PM
Hi, I'm Jacki, and I am about to make my dream of owning a dance studio come true! In fact, 4 weeks from today I open. How stressful it is but how wonderful! I started dancing when I was 3 and stayed with the same teacher, Miss Dorothea M. Riegert, until I went to college. She was my teacher, my inspiration, and my role model. She studied in NY, and was the best. I still talk to her and am the teacher I am today because of her. I went on to Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana and earned a BS in Ballet Pedagogy. I studied under Marina Svetlova, Jurgen Pagels, and Anton Dolin. From there I earned a scholarship with ABT in NY and performed with them. (Mikhail Barishnykov was as awesome in class as he was on stage.) I married (and subsequently divorced) and had 2 wonderful boys...that's right, boys! I have been teaching and choreographing for over 28 years, and dreaming of my own studio. I teach ballet, pointe, lyrical, tap, and jazz. Yes, ballerinas have trouble with hip hop, so no hip hop for me! I was named Choreographer of the Year by the Dance America. My studio is the J. Gari Academy of Dance, and with 2 more nights of registration I have 38 students signed up so far. Dreams truly do come true.
By sunshinedancer02
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 09:49 PM
My name is Chelsea, 20 years old and I am from Victoria, Texas. This site is awesome! I have been dancing for over 10 years. During high school I was on the dance team, and my senior year became an officer. I am now attending college, majoring in Psychology. Last year was my first year to teach dance. One of my old dance teachers asked me if I would like to work for her teaching ages from 3-18 tap, jazz, and ballet. Of course I said yes! In November, a job offering came open about 30 miles from where I live, to be in charge of the Hermann Sons dance program. That was a challenge! My first recital being the director was in April. It was a lot of work, but I LOVE IT! I start back up early September. The other job, for my old dance teacher, well... she upset me and was not fair, so I had to unfortunately leave there. But at least I am still going to be teaching! My goal is to open my own studio. I would love to hear some ideas from other teachers and/or owners.
Well that is it for now!

~Chelsea~
By mVdCdancer
On Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:06 PM
Hi, my name is Brandy and I am just about 22 years old (a week from Tuesday!) and have been teaching since I was 15. I am from the Dayton area in Ohio and teach for the Miami Valley Dance Center. I absolutely love it! I started out as an assistant teacher and had to go through the Teachers-In-Training progam. After graduating the program and assisting for a few years I was given the opprotunity to teach a tap class all on my own. It was exciting and scarey all at the same time. The next year I was given two more classes, ballet and jazz, and have been getting more classes to teach every year. This year I am currently teaching the styles of ballet, tap and jazz, ages 3-adult. It is so much fun and I love every minute of it! This year I have also been given the opprotunity to choreograph 3 solos for competition, so I am looking forward to that. I mainly received my dance education through my wonderful teach Miss Kelly. She is absolutely amazing and has taught me so much more than dance! Besides learning from her I have taken it upon myself to further my dance education through the Teachers-Training-School (TTS) sponsored by DMA. I have recently completed my second year, with only one more to go before I test for certification. This time last year I was studying for my exams to become a certified member of DMO. I became a member in Nov. 2004. Other than that I attend several conventions throughout the dance season. I love love love to teach and I can't wait to see what the future brings!
By EvolveDancer
On Sat Sep 10, 2005 07:47 PM
ok so i just got the teaching job of my lifetime so i am officially legal in this thread.

i am 18. i live in rockford which is right outside of chicago illinois. i teach two jazz level one classes, a ballet level one, and a hip hop level one at the studio i compete for. i also teach an adult pilates/stretch class on saturday mornings at one of the ladies houses (which is heaven by the way....i don't have to pay rent to the studio so all the money is under the table and they are so much fun and think everything i do is the best thing on earth)

i have danced since i was 2. i took high school off to do theater and work on my vocal career (released some demos and i perform locally) i am so glad that i am back into dance ful lforce, though. this is my first year back into competition and although i have lost a little flexability i am happy to see i'm not completely out of it.

-jordan
By AODDancer
On Mon Sep 12, 2005 08:34 AM
I'm from Southeast Massachusetts and my partner and I are in our 9th year of opening our studio. We both danced since we were three and when our instructor retired out of the blue we both looked at each other in horror of where would we dance?!!! My mom told us to open a studio, you can do it, etc. - and the rest is history! We both work other jobs and will never be rich from dance (one of 5 studios in a town of 40,000!), but it is so in your blood - you can't stop. I have two daughters of my own - they were only 3 and 6 when I started and it has gotten easier with them getting older and knowing (most of the time!) what to do and the support system of my husband, family and friends. A child in the supermarket yelling "Miss Jackie" and running up to you - that's the feeling, eh? :)
By Amyebroome
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 07:45 PM
Hi everyone - This post has been great to learn about everyone! My name is Amy, I am 27 years old and am a full time teacher at Longwood Performing Arts in a suberb of Philadelphia, PA. I teach Ballet, Tap & Jazz. I started dancing at the age of 2, student teaching at 12 and teaching at 15. I went to Oklahoma City University and recieved a B.S. in Dance Management. I fell in love with teaching at the age of 12 when I started assisting my teacher's in dance classes and knew from then on what I wanted to do. I teach students of all ages. That is the one thing I am most proud of...that I am a well rounded teacher and that I can teach pretty much any style, any age student. There isn't a particular age group I like best. They are all fun yet different. As a dancer, I prefer tap. It has always been my favorite. Lots of luck to everyone with there classes!
By highlandhezzie
On Wed Sep 21, 2005 05:43 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Heather and I'm 30 years old. I began highland dancing when I was 5. My mom is a teacher and at the time her studio (Morgan's School of Highland Dancing) was the only highland studio in our city (Thunder Bay, Ontario). Growing up dancing often evolves into teaching dance. I've been teaching for 15 years and recently passed my Members Exams.
By michaela1
On Fri Sep 23, 2005 01:26 PM
DEar JLL:
My deepest condolences on the loss of your son. I cannot imagine that type of pain and I am impressed by your emotional fortitude and outlook on life.
Amongst other things, I was draw to your posting because I also studied in the trainee program at Joffrey, and have recently relocated from Manhattan to Philly. Is your studio on the Philly area? Can you give me any tips about the dance scene here, such as good ballet teachers, classes, etc?
As a Pilates instructor, I am used to working with professional dancers and have also taught ballet-however, since moving here, I can't figure out where all the dancers are? It seems only wealthy baby boomers take Pilates- areal change from NYC.
Any advice would be much appreciated for a homesick ex-Manhattanite!
Thank you for sharing your experiences,
M.
Point Park
By ladancingirl
On Sat Sep 24, 2005 09:58 AM
Hi!
I was wondering if I could talk to you about your experiences at Point Park.
Please let me know :)
Thanks!
Megan :)
Page:
Page 6 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch