Forum: General

Page:
Page 7 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By idance4myself
On Sun Sep 25, 2005 08:53 PM
Hi, my name is Gen, im new to teaching i started at the beginning of this year.I teach ballet and contemporary to night school studens at The Edge in Melbourne. I love it!!im hoping i can teach more regularily next year,at the moment im studying for my Diploma in Dance Performance at The Edge.
Point Park University
By ladancingirl
On Mon Sep 26, 2005 06:09 PM
Hi!
I am looking into transfering to Point Park University. Would you mind if I PMed you sometime so you could tell me a bit about your experiences at the school?
Thank you so much!
Megan :)
By Mandance
On Sat Oct 01, 2005 08:19 PM
Hi!
I just joined dance.net and so far it seems like a wonderful resource. I have been teaching for the last seven years and opened a dance studio in August. It has been a life long dream for me, but I have to be honest too, it's been a lot harder than I thought, I was well prepared too. I live in Michigan and teach ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, hip-hop and pointe. I have a wonderful sister who owns an antique business and she is my support, but other than that I was craving some dance support and info. from those older than 5. I moved out of the area for some time and just moved back and opened the studio. I look forward to getting to know this thread a bit better!
Manda
By susu
On Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:41 PM
I am 22 and in South Arkansas. I've been teaching dance for around 6 years, and I just opened my own studio! I teach tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, lyrical, cheerleading, and acrobatics.
By dancernannyPremium member
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 06:37 PM
Hi! I'm a new member of Dance.net.and love it. It is a great post! I feel like I could be everyone here's grandmother. I studied dance when I was 2 yrs old, and never quit. I'm from PA. and have had my own dance/gymnastics center for 35 yrs.
I am a member of Dance Educators of America, Dance Masters of
America, USAG, Safety Certified among others (too many to list). I still study all that I can. You never know enough. Have taught gymnastics for girls and boys, Rhymtic gymn, tap, ballet, pointe, jazz, hip hop,Character, Musical Theatre, lyrical, liturgical, baton. I've studied with many, many great teachers across Canada, and USA some likeGus, Lugi, Chuck, Phil, and also with the June Taylor Dancers. Many teacher training courses. Have judged Nationals, and Internationals. Yes, I've been around the dance floor quite a few times. I have students who now have their own studios, they have danced on Cruise Lines, have won many dance competitions and gymnastic competitions of their own, have been on Pitt Golden Girls, and even danced on Broadway.
All in all, I am just like all of you. Love and have a passion for dance. No, I'm not ready to retire. Kids keep you young.
Have already been thru all I have read on all the threads.
I'm still learning about the site. Still don't know how to do
some things here, but I'm learning.
As far as having your own school goes, it's more that teaching dance, acro, etc. You need to know how to handle parents (pushy parents)and also about business. That's where your bread and butter comes from.
I'm with Tanya, I don't think anyone on here wants to embarass anyone, or make them feel stupid. We here to help each other. I 'm still learning too. If I say something you don't understand, or disagree with, please tell me.
Thanks for listening, Dar
By Kaela
On Thu Oct 06, 2005 02:00 PM
Hello! My name is Michaela and I live in UK. I'm 17 years old and I teach four classes a week to girls and (if they want ) boys at my sixth form! I'm the only one who has danced (and can stil dance) well in my school and though "Hey, why not teach dance?!" next year I will be going to University to get a teaching degree and hopeful set up my own business.

Right now, my studio (if you can really call it that) is a large converted cafeteria that is no longer in operation, but the old serving hatch is the perfect height for a barre! I teach ballet and Tap and I started dancing at 3 and then gave it up after about 4 years. I started again at 13 because I missed the feeling of dancing and have progressed so quickly!

What a great post! See you guys on the boards!
By tink786
On Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:59 PM
Hi, my name is Kristie. I am from Clarksville, Tn. I am twenty years old. I have been dancing since I was four years old and haven't stopped since. I take ballet, tap, jazz, advanced tap, and advanced pointe. In high school I was an assistant teacher for one year. It was fun. I also taught cheerleading for the middle school. That's not my passion, I never cheered myself.
I just got hired as a dance teacher from the dance studio that I still take classes at. I LOVE teaching children how to dance. I am teaching ballet and tap to 2-4 year olds. They always put a smile on my face. (If anyone has any ideas I will take any advice on teaching these children.)
I don't remember my first dance teacher because I only took at that studio for a couple of months. My dad was in the military so we got restationed. I have had some awesome dance teachers over the years. I have had tap, ballet, and jazz teachers from broadways teach at our studio. I love dancing and enjoy teaching.
Please tell a little about yourself
By Tammy30
On Sun Oct 16, 2005 08:32 AM
Hi there I am a new user of this website but definitely not new to dance!! My name is Tammy and I come from Birmingham in England but for the last 3 years I have been living in Silkeborg, Denmark. I began dancing when I was 3 years old and at the age of 19 I trained full time at the Midlands Academy of Dance and Drama (M.A.D.D.) for three years in classical ballet, tap, modern-jazz, theatrecraft, disco/freestyle, musical theatre drama, improvisation, singing, fencing etc.

While there I obtained my associate teaching diplomas from the ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing) and the IDTA (International Dance Teachers Association) in classical ballet.

After dancing professionally throughout Europe I moved to Denmark to be with my Danish boyfriend and began teaching at a local dancing school called ´Dansen Gaar´in Silkeborg.

This is a Ballroom and Latin dance school where I teach Disco/Hip-hop and Showdance to teenage girls.

I am in the process of upgrading my ISTD qualifications but this is proving difficult and expensive as there are no recognised ISTD teachers in Denmark at the moment so this means a lot of travel to and from London.

I hope to eventually open my own dance school close to home and begin teaching ballet, tap and all the other theatre genres that I miss so much.
Please tell a little about yourself teachers...
By dancingmom9
On Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:19 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site so I figured I'd start here. I have been dancing since I was 3 and I have been teaching for the past 13 years. I've taught in Pennsylvania and as life would have it, my family and I relocated to upstate New York in 2004. My former boss told me I would open my own school to which I replied, "no way." Suprise, suprise, in October 2004 I decided to give it a try, which I am very thankful for. We are now in our second year and having a blast! Keep on dancin'!
By Markenab
On Wed Oct 19, 2005 08:39 AM
My name is Markena Brawner. I am from Chicago and I have been dancing since I was nine years old, I am currently 24. I have received training in Ballet, jazz, african, hip-hop, latin, modern and lyrical dance. I teach part-time at the moment at three different studios and my full time position is as a paralegal. I don't how I fit it all into my schedule. I teach 6 classe per week, in the evening and Saturday morning. In addition to that some friends and I have started a performing company here in Chicago and I rehearse for that two days out the weeks. In addition to preparin for class and trying to squeeze in a class or two per week, I barely have time for anything else.
But I love me kids, I do look forward to breaks though so I can have some me time, but in the mean time this is what works.
By pasdebourretenduPremium member
On Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:15 PM
I'm Melissa, 23.
Just opened a studio September 2005.
We do Ballet, tap, jazz, pointe, character/broadway jazz, modern, lyrical, liturgical, and exercise classes.
I've been teaching since age 17 & I absolutely Love Tap Dance, which I'm beginning to think is not normal cuz everybody wants to be a ballerina Except ME. Even the babies (3-5 year olds) say "mommy I wanna be a ballerina" not "Mommy I wanna be a tap dancer!" - it saddens me :(
Anyway. I remember my first dance teacher, in fact, she owns a studio 15 miles from mine - and its not the one I went to either! I really only remember her, though because she batted her eyelashes alot when she was smiling. Probably to keep from yelling at us bad kids! & I used to go home and pretend to be her; I would dance around the house smiling and batting my eyelashes!
Have not done this yet
By SDPDancePremium member
On Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:15 AM
I have not posted in this thread yet, so, I figured I would!
I am Ms. Shana to my students, rhymes like Shana Banana!
My dance studio is called Shana's Dance Place, and I just opened it up this past August, after doing a few summer camps first. My little town is called Dayton, TX, and we have more cows than people! The town has been burned by dance studios in the past, so, a lot of people are weary of signing up there children for my classes. But, I started with 50, lost three, and gained three, so, I still have 50! A lot have been impressed with me, and my kids love me so far, even though I have been told I am mean, but, they are still there, so, it makes me feel good!
I am 27 years old, have a hubby and two little girls that are almost 6 and 17 months. My six year old does everything from twirling to cheerleading to ballet to softball! (She's well-rounded I would say!) My 17 month old is a handfull, just into everything, but, already wants to tap dance. She loves to go & turn my radio on and bob around!
My hubby has his own business too, a trucking company, so, we stay quite busy as you can imagine. Still, I take my daughter to school every day, and pick her up.
We have four horses & a racecar also, we enjoy life when we are not busy. The most important thing to me is my family, and they have been very supportive and proud of me and what we have accomplished. I danced all of my life, ballet, tap, jazz, pointe, twirl, and gymnastics. It was my college major, and, I had dreams of performing professionally, but, had my first daughter young. She became my life at that point!
I continued dancing as recreation, and never lost my plans of opening a studio. I always knew I would, and I finally did.
Currently I teach ballet, tap, jazz, pointe (1 girl), and I am about to start adult classes at the town's request.
Anyway, I also like to write if you cannot tell, so, I better stop before you know my address!!

Ms. Shana
By dancemaine
On Thu Oct 27, 2005 06:58 PM
I am also new to dance.net (only 2 days) and am so excited that I stumbled upon it. I am a 28 year old studio owner in Maine. I opened my studio 6 years ago and still marvel at how blessed I am to be able to do what I love everyday, DANCE with children! My school is a children's dance school (Right now I have 140 students aged 3-12) since I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. I have been married to my best friend for almost a year now (Nov. 13th will be our first Anniversary). I love my life but am also excited to start a family in the next few years and have already asked for "teaching while pregnant" advice from you veterans. Since I am the only teacher I am surely going to have to plan plan plan.
By ms_sherri
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 02:44 PM
My name is Sherri, I'll be 21 in about a week and a 1/2. I started dancing when i was 4 and started assistant teaching when i was in the 7th grade. I danced competitively for 10 years. By the time i was a senior I was assisting, dancing and teaching my owm classes. I stayed at my original studio teching for 3 years then i got enough courage to leave them and move on to another studio. I now teach at Candy King's School of Dance in Circle Pines, MN. Its about a 1/2 hour north of the cities. I love it there! I work mostly with the younger children ages 3 to 12. It is so much better than my old studio. I am now thought of as a teacher and not a student. Plus, besides the owner, all of the other teachers are my age. I don't really remember my first teacher but the first teacher that I remember was Galline. She was really supportive of me when my old studio split into two studios and I was the only one of 15 girls in my class to stay. I hope that i can one day be remembered for inspiring young dancers.
By surfsister
On Tue Nov 01, 2005 04:28 PM
Hello, my name is Kristyn and I just joined dance net last week. I am 24 and have been teaching for 4 years and I have danced since I was 5. I love this site, its so nice to hear what other teachers have to say about certain topics. Although I love my job sometimes I wanna pull my hair out, but that doesn't happen too often. My students are awesome, and the parents love me (haven't had any problems with any since i started) I guess I am lucky. Anyways just wanted to say hello to everyone!
By golduster99
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 05:52 PM
What a great post! My name is Jaime and I just turned 25. I am currently the Director of Dance Moves and Gymnastics in Indiana. I started teaching when I was 17 and have taught tap, jazz, ballet, pom/dance team, character/musical theatre, and hip hop. I started dancing when I was 9 years old. I started with tap and my first teacher's name was Miss Julie. I loved her! When I was 11 I was selected to be a dance company member where I received additional training in tap, jazz, ballet, pointe, lyrical, and musical theatre styles. The company director and studio owner, Miss Vikki, was my main tap instructor and my inspiration. I think of her often...

I danced throughout high school at the studio and my school's dance team. I went on to Purdue University where I danced and performed with the Golduster Dancers for 4 years. I have a degree in sociology with a minor in communication. I would eventually like to go back and take classes in early childhood development and business. I worked in Chicago in dancewear sales for a year after college and have returned to my love of dancing and teaching. I feel so fortunate to be able to do what I love most and share it with hundreds of little dancers. Good luck to all of you!
this is me.
By terahd
On Fri Nov 04, 2005 05:20 PM
Okay...
my name is tera, I will be 22 in less than two weeks and have been teaching since I was about 15 years old (starting with assisting and subbing). I am currently training at The School of Toronto Dance Theatre but teach as well. Currently I teach jazz and hip hop (with a little bit of ballet, tap and cardio on the side) but my teaching experience is mostly in Jazz, ballet, and modern. My goal is to teach modern and jazz as a side note to a professional career in contemporary dance. Having a background in ballet, even the jazz i teach is heavily technical. Although tricks are nice, I am more interested in training a string, efficient instrument so my students can inturn be ready for anything. As a dancer, I was given a lot of flexibility and therefore place a large emphasis on strength development and co-ordination as they are both things I work on daily.

Sitting here typing about how I dance or how I teach feels some what pointless in the grande scheme... so maybe I should get up and do some work! :)

I am glad to be here and always find the tips I am looking for, as well as palces where my opinion may be of some help.

Say hi... I may come accross as serious and up tight but as my students will tell you... we can have fun as long as we are getting the work done. I believe that the work is the fun.:)

later,
tera.
By jzdancer78
On Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:32 PM
My name is Lisa, and I am 27 teaching in the Phoenix area. I have been teaching for about 11 years at various dance studios. I got a BFA in dance from the University of Arizona and a Masters in Education from Arizona State University. I danced with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for awhile, and I am now dancing with Scorpius Dance Theatre, a modern company in Phoenix.

I have been teaching at a couple of wonderful dance studios, I taught for three years at a high school, and now I am teaching at a community college part time. I don't know how I fit it all in with my 11 month old daughter running after me all the time! I also love this website, nice to meet all of you!
By candianteachermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:24 PM
My name is Heather I am 25. I teach in small rural town Alberta, Canada. I never thought I would do this for a livin', but I love IT!!! I have danced since I was 4. I took 1.5 years off my first years of University in a new city, but eventually went back to it. I finished Univeristy and then got offered a job teaching dance. I did not go to University for dance what so ever.

I am so glad I teach now though I am loving it. I work for an association. I am the only teacher, for the association. I teach ballet, tap, jazz, pointe, stretch and conditioning, hip hop and lyrical. I also teach Highland as well, but not for the association. I have taught dance for 7 years or so, I started out teaching when I was 14, a Highland class.

I love teaching all age levels, I have 2.5 year olds to 60+ year olds. I get a thrill out of all the age levels, they all bring something different to the table as a teacher.

I have completed Primary to Grade 8 RAD Ballet, Grade 1 to Advanced CDTA Tap, and all my highland exams up to my associates. I am looking into taking my tap teacher in CDTA, and Associates in Highland, though I have to admit I am alittle scared...

Big hugs to all you teachers out there, I know that we do not always get the love that we deserve sometimes...
By tappinfeet4Premium member
On Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 AM
Hi!Great thread!
My name is Lynette and I teach in Columbus, Oh & I'm 29 years old. I've been teaching for 6 years and am currently teaching in three different locations. I'm trying right now to figure out if I can open my own studio, financially it may be rough :O)

I also started a non-profit performing arts group for adults with my best friend. We've been around for 3 years now, and the talent in this city is amazing. We have both singers and dancers and the experience of both of them bonding together & striving to put on a great show every year has been and I'm sure will continue to be unforgettable, plus I get to perform on the BIG STAGE with a band and live singers!! Don't you just love to perform? Ahhh, it makes me happy and I love to pass that feeling onto my students :)

Currently I'm teaching rhythm and movement, tap, jazz, & ballet mostly to beginners, though I've taught just about everything to just about every age. I love the little kids but my favorite age is the teenagers, who would have thought huh!

I'm married (4 years now) & my husband is incredible, extremely supportive with everything I do and genuinely understands my love of the theatre and dance. We have two kids, a boy and a girl!
I guess that's it!!
By Kaydence
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 09:20 AM
Hey everyone!
I'm a new member, but not new to ddn. I figured as I am teaching so much more now, it would be a good idea to get a new account that none of my students can track me to!
I'm a teacher up in Canada, and I've been teaching for about five years, although this is my first year being one of the "main" teachers at a studio. I'm teaching ballet, jazz and hip hop, and I miss teaching lyrical and tap! I love being a well-rounded teacher and work hard to keep it that way!
Anyways, thought I'd make use of this thread since I never have before!

Luv
Kaydence
By happydancinPremium member
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:17 PM
I am new on this site! I am located in Texas and have owned & operated my dance studio since 1983. I am 43 & have been teaching tap, ballet, jazz & lyrical for 23 years & hip-hop for the past 5 years. I have 3 wonderful instructors & several student helpers. I am looking forward to sharing ideas with other teachers!
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
DAZZ
By jshakka
On Mon Nov 28, 2005 07:48 AM
*audioGalaxy.com ,A self-taught musician and dancer out of Canada who plays in a style you've never heard before. This native of the Ashanti, Tribe in Ghana, West Africa has entertained audiences with some of the biggest names to come out of Canada, like the Bare Naked Ladies and Celine Dion. "
My name is jon-e-shakka,been teachim the unigue style called DAZZ for 30 years (www.joneshakka.com). thanx
By musictapsrod
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 01:37 AM
I'm Rod Howell. I've been teaching tap for 16 years. I love to make up new steps do new things with the art of tap.

Rod
By BunlessinSeattle
On Thu Dec 15, 2005 03:54 PM
Originaly trained with the atlanta ballet during the Robert Barnett years, I went to Hope College for a year before earning my BFA at Cornish College in Seattle. I have been teaching for four years at a school that I just bought when the owner reitred this month. It's website is maplevalleyballet.com some great pics are on there.

We are not a competitive school, nor are we a large professional school ... I describe us as a recreational ballet school with a professional attitude.
Page:
Page 7 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch