Forum: General

Page:
Page 8 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
A Little About Me
By jennsings4uPremium member
On Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:25 PM
My name is Jennifer Bortz and I am the Managing Director/Co-Owner of LINES-School of Performing Arts in Roseville, CA. I currently teach private voice lessons, Adult Tap, Musical Theatre and Mini's Combo (3-4year olds). I don't have time to teach anything else, but I do sub classes that my teachers aren't able to make. I have been dancing since I was 3 and singing and acting since 6. My background in dance includes, ballet, tap, jazz, Hawaiian, Lyrical and Musical Theatre. I grew up in San Jose and trained with amazing teachers and received a great education in dance and life! I attended the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in NY and had my own Cabaret Act while there...and worked on the Spirit of NY as a singing, dancing waitress. Woo! I currently am featured in Educational Videos and continue to do Voice Overs along with running the studio, teaching, performing whenever I get the opportunity, being a Mom to my 2 beautiful children ( who take dance of their own accord) and wife to my actor,writer, director Husband. This forum is great! Anyone interested...look up the school! We're always taking resumes!!
Thanks for starting this one. They're fun to read!
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By SparklePaige
On Mon Jan 02, 2006 04:50 AM
Hey!
I'm Cynthia, I'm 18 and I'm teaching for Martine Laplante's dance school, in Quebec. It's my first year teaching and I LOVE it. I teach ballet, jazz, hip hop, and soon, I'll start teaching folklore. I started to dance at 11 at this school, at 15 I've switched to a more intensive school, then I started to do folklore in a dance company. At 17, I got injured, so I had to stop dancing and took a year off. Then, I realized that I prefered teaching, and that what really makes me feel happy is to see my girls improvements. So Martine hired me to teach with her. She is actually the one who inspired me the most. She opened her dance school at 19 and she never gave up, even if it wasn't doing so great for the first few years. Now it's doing very well, we have about 120 students.
By Marjolein
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 03:34 AM
My name is Marjolein, 23 years old, from the netherlands. i dance since i was six, and last year i was asked for the first time to teach workshops at my traineeship in a childrens circus. after that they asked me to teach dance (jazz/showmusical) at a primary school.tomorrow i start to teach at an after school program. i teach jazz/showmusicaldance,my classes: jazz warming up, musical theatre choreography. and im also intend to start kids teaching ballet, im really hard training for that now! i hope it will work out, because this was always my dream, and now its gonna happen, im so thankful that i can teach dance, i like to teach kids, they are so great to work with, and i love it to learn them all i know.
so. thats about me
By donnyaPremium member
On Fri Jan 06, 2006 03:10 PM
My name is Stephanie. I am from upstate NY. I am sixteen years old. I teach at the East Ridge School and teach three 45 min classes a week as part of the students curriculum. I have only been teaching there for less than a year since i just graduated from high school in June. I teach folk dancing using dances from all over the world. I have been dancing (mostly folk dancing) since I was about 5 or 6. The age group I'm am teaching now is grades K-7 so years 5-14. I still dance and I am still working with my first and only instuctor. I actually now teach under her direction. I am currently performing with our dance ensemble which specializes in Ukrainian dance although we also do international folk dances as well. I love to dance and teaching it especially to young children is the best way to make sure that others will learn to love it also.
:)
By lodettel
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 04:13 PM
Hi I am 20 years old. I have been dancing for 17 years. I danced with both the NYCB and ABT in a few different childrens roles. I was trained at both school of the american ballet and a few other schools around the country. I have taught for the last 4 years. I took this year off from teaching to focus on my education and hope to resume once I transfer colleges. I miss it very much and like dance.net because it allows me to stay in touch with this passion. Best of luck to all!
By Stasi76
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 PM
My name is Stasi and I am 29 years old. I have been dancing since I was 4 (Ballet,Pointe, Modern, Lyrical,Jazz and Hip Hop). I attended the Fine Arts School in Langley, B.C. from grade 5 until I graduated where I Majored in Dance and Minored in Musical Theatre. I have been teaching on and off for 13 years. I specialize in Tot Ballet (ages 2-5)but I also teach teen Hip Hop and intermediate ballet and jazz. I do not teach out of a studio anymore, I now work for the Parks and Recreation Department running dance classes at different Recreation Centers. Its a fabulous job!
As far as my first Dance teacher, I remember her well, in fact to this day she is like a second mom to me. She taught me for 13 years and then brought me in as an assistant. Hugs to Sharon, she's the greatest!
By ScottishPrincess
On Tue Jan 31, 2006 05:07 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Sarah and I am a teacher in the UK. I have been dancing since I was about 7 and from that moment on knew i wanted to be a dancer. Nothing else has ever been able to compare.
I studied professionally in Edinburgh (Scotland) and qualified in 1997. After leaving college I went to London to dance and after a few years started back teaching in the Surrey region where I have been living ever since.
I teach for 2 very nice schools and also do some freelance work when I can. I teach ballet, tap, jazz (incl. street) and modern. Its quite a lot of travelling about but I do love the challenges that the children and adults I teach bring to each class.
Right now I am getting a set of kids ready to sit some ISTD tap exams so its a very busy term just now.
I live with my lovely man Jon and our cat Cara and life is pretty good just now although it has been hard over the years being away from home and family and toughing it out in one of the most competetive businesses in the world!
In the next few years i hope to have developed my career to be able to teach in a full time theatre school to help shape the dancers of the future on their chosen path. I'm sure I'll still teach kiddies too as I do get a kick out of seeing them progress and their own desire to dance grow with them.
My first dance teacher was a lady called Robersha who ran a small school in a local church hall. When she moved away it broke my heart but I found somewhere else to dance and the rest as they say is history. She was probably my favourite because she was my first and because it was a small school you got more attention. Later in life when I was studying at college my favourite teachers were the ones who inspired you to do better by only praising you when you really deserved it! I'll name two, our ballet master Raymond. He may be small in stature but my god he could jump! And a jazz teacher called Sheridan - her choreography was always so different and challenging and I'll never forget how nice she was after I'd thrown up in her jazz class. It was a long story involving a dodgy tuna sandwich...
I've just joined DDN so this is my first post. Its nice to find such a friendly site and I cant wait to give help and receive help from you all.
Love, sunshine and good fitting ballet shoes to all
xx Sarah xx
By Misty6
On Wed Feb 01, 2006 07:18 PM
Hi, I am 29 and I have been teaching since sophomore year of college. I now teach in the Chicago suburbs and I am also a 4th grade teacher. I can't give up dance, so I do it as a side job and a way to earn a little extra money. Most of all, it's my passion and it's fun.
By jenly
On Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:30 AM
Hey! My name is Jen and I am 26 years old. I live on the mid north coast of NSW, Australia (that's on the east coast about 4 hrs north of Sydnay). I have been dancing since I was 4 yrs old. I am now a teacher and have been teaching for 8 years. I teach RAD classical ballet of which I am a certified teacher, LGTDA tap (Les Grifffith Tap Dance Academy) which I am also a certified teacher, jazz, contemporary and modern. I teach classes as well as private lessons. Last year I was teaching 6 days a week this year I have dropped back to 2. I don't however own my own school and I take my hat off to all of you that do. It is a hard job!!!

I recently put the pointe shoes back on to sit my RAD Advanced 1 exam (Nov 2005) as it was one I never got around to finishing when I was younger. I went in with a 15 year old who was dancing full time and a 16 year old. How funny is that. I was very pleased when I passed and passed with distinction! Now I am really crazy and planning on sitting my Advanced 2!

I am looking forward to discussing all sorts of things with all of you guys!
By AdrenalineDancePremium member
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 09:00 AM
Edited by TylerWing (142150) on 2006-02-13 09:04:22 spelling was terrible!
Hey all.

New to Dance.net but I’m finding it interesting that’s for certain.

My main focus of instruction is advanced level Jazz and Lyrical for pro-am students at a studio in Maine named "Centre of Movement."

I have been teaching now for 10 years since I was 16 years old and was lucky enough to work as a professional dancer and choreographer in a variety of different productions a crossed the US.

Because of course at around 25 years old, I got that nagging “miss my family feeling,” I thought it was a good time to return to my home state and garner a new focus on dance. So here I am teaching and sharing with students everything I have learned. The good the bad and the ugly.

Anyway feel free to check me out an drop a hello on my website. It gives more detailed information about me.

Tyler Wing
TYLERWING.COM
By dancinbabe1
On Wed Feb 15, 2006 08:14 AM
My name is Jenny & I am 29 years old (dreading the big 3-0 in November). I'm from Hutchinson, MN. I have been dancing since I was 12. I began assistant teaching 2 years after I began dancing which got me started on my love for teaching. After I graduated high school I attended the University of Iowa for a year, which I loved, but my family couldn't afford tuition so I ended up coming back to Minnesota to teach for the studio I grew up in. My teacher, Mr. John Hallahan, was a great man & an inspiration to me. I'm truly grateful that he believed in me & hired me on. I taught for him for 2 years after which I left under not so great circumstances. His daughter (and partner in the studio) had taken over after he got sick (he was 76) & was running the business into the ground. So I took a year off from teaching & was called back to it by a friend of mine who started her own studio. I've been teaching for her for 6 years now. I teach a little of everything, ballet, jazz, tap, lyrical, musical theater, & creative movement. I teach little ones beginning at age 3 up to seniors in high school. I've also taught at a community education program for 4 years. This summer I'm planning on attending TTS through DMA in NY. Teaching has been a great passion for me & I'm considering leaving my current studio to start my own. I hate when people forget their love of the art & stay in the business simply for the money which is where I feel my current SO is at.
By dancelem
On Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:40 AM
Here goes! I am 27 years old, from London and currently living in Gran Canaria (a spanish island) with my husband of 6 months. I have been teaching on and off since I was 13 because my parents had a dance school where I used to help out. I trained as a dancer in London and became professional when I was 18. I have worked with a few companies touring europe starting as a soloist and ending up as principal and ballet mistress. As I have said my teaching began early with the RAD syllabus and continued with guest teaching and hosting workshops around Britain and Europe while touring. My weakest point is teaching the under 5s (I have least experience with this age group) which ironically is the age I am teaching now!!!
Unfortunately there isn't really much "serious" dancing where I live (I suppose I miss London) so I was really glad to find a website like this to hear from like-minded people!
Thanks
By littlered2002
On Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:50 AM
I am Ms. Shannon, recently married with 2 children (soon to be dancers). I live in Shawnee Oklahoma. The studio I work at is Broadway Dance Expressions. I have been dancing since the age of 2. My mother owns her own studio, tumbling, aquatic and retail facitly. I love to dance. I also teach water aerobics. I teach tap, jazz, lyrical, hip hop, cheer, pom, tumble, yoga, pilates and private lessons at the studio. I have performed in 2 orlando florida citrus bowl games, 2 orange bowl games and 2 times in the bahamas. I also had dancers perform in the sugar bowl a couple of years ago. I have a degree in health promotion. While in college i also studied dance and theater. All in all my life is busy with work, husband and 2 girls. Hope to hear more about others too.
By Dance4teachers
On Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:36 PM
Hi, my name is Anthony LoCascio...I have been a teacher since I was 20 and I am now 33...I performed in the show Tap Dogs for 8 years and even did a short run with Tap Dogs re-booted...I was asked to be in the 10year ann. tour currently touring North America....I had to decline due to the fact that my partner Bethany Hooks and I have started a new online dance studio designed for Dance teachers and studio owners....it is called Dance4teachers.com
I am originally from NY but currently reside in the S.F. bay area...I have 3 sites dedicated to dance and the futher education of dance
Dance4teachers.com
just4tap.com
and
just4jazz.com
Currently I teach at Dancyn in Los Gatos, Dance Connection in Palo Alto, and Dance Mode in San Carlos. I am now teaching ages 10 to adult but I do teach ages 3/12 and up as well...i can be seen teaching and judging for PDTA, and Hoctor's Dance Caravan...I do private studio workshops, teach at colleges, and show up at other various competitions and conventions throughout North America....Including the Dance Teacher Magazine Summer Conference in NYC.
I am excited to be a part of these message boards and look forward to finds friends that are already part of these boards plus making new friends who i have not chatted with in the past...
Dance w/u Soon
Anthony LoCascio
I am excited to be a part of these message boards
Teacher
By ballerina78
On Thu Feb 23, 2006 01:14 PM
I have taught ballet for over 6 years I teach the Vaganova method. I really enjoy it and Love to help each and every student achieve their very best.
By Never2old2dance
On Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:16 AM
I had some time and just read through all eight pages - teachers and studio owners are very inspirational people!

My name is Christy and I live in New Hampshire with my husband, 2 daughters, 2 sons, 1 Jack Russell terrier and 1 cat.

I had to laugh at how many said they started dance "late" (at 11 or 12) I started my sophomore year in college! It was a modern class and we got to choreograph every semester and put on a show. It was a great experience.

After college I started my ballet training, always thinking that it was just recreational - something fun to do. But I ended up in a performing dance group in San Diego for a few years. After moving across country and taking some time off, I was asked to teach a group of home-schooled students a ballet class for phys. ed. 13 children ranging from 3 to 13! They liked it so much they asked to do it again the next year, and 11 years later we have our own school of the arts! My husband teaches music, I teach the little ones and two beginning ballet classes, my daughter (who has had way more training than I!) teaches the upper level ballet and all levels of hip hop.

Although I've often wondered what might have happened had I started dance at 3, I am totally blessed with having been able to teach all these years and watch the progress of so many dancers, my children included (all four of them dance).

My first teacher (after college - my modern teacher's name slips my mind and I'm kicking myself, she was awesome) was Gillian Barton, who is now the director of Ballet West in the Scottish highlands. She is beautiful, gentle, inspirational, and California's loss was Scotland's gain!
By Never2old2dance
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:06 PM
Hey, I remembered! Janette Hypes was the modern teacher at Pomona College. She was teaching dance before there was even a dance department - a pioneer for the school and an amazing educator.
By Nelliegadz
On Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:50 AM
My name is Janell Gadzalinski. I am 23 years old and currently located in LaCrosse, WI. I taught my first class at age 16 so I guess i've been teaching for about 7 years. My passion was always to perform. I grew up dancing for a big competition studio and dance was my life. I lived and breathed it. Yet, I was from Wisconsin where we know there isn't quite a whole lot to do with professional dance! So, getting up and leaving my family in Wisconsin was pretty much out of the question. I decided to do the college thing. I actually lowered myself to dance for a extremely mediocre pom squad in my college town for my first two years of college. Eventually I decided I had to get back into dance on a more intense level. I found a local studio and started teaching classes again. You know if it's something in your heart, you just have to do it!
I graduated from college a year and a half ago and ended up taking a full-time job with the dance studio who helped me to find dance again. I still keep strong ties with my hometown studio, Young Dance Academy. I never thought this is where I'd be but the lord works in mysterious ways!
I am now getting married and moving to Atlanta. Now I will be seeking a new direction in dance!
My first teacher, mentor, second-mother was Sandra Young. She's amazing and I will be forever grateful to her.
The first time dance ever truly rocked my soul was taking Doug Caldwell's class when I was about 13 years old. We watched his assistant perform to Tina Arena's: "Show Me Heaven". Dance took on a new meaning for me at that moment and I've never been the same!
new to the boards
By Tapmama2Premium member
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:41 PM
Hi all:

My name is Ruthe and I teach Tap, jazz, and lyrical. I love teaching all three. Each dance form has something different that I get great satisfaction from. I started making up my own dances when I was three and started my formal training when I was almost nine. Tap was my first love, then came jazz. That was 30 something years ago!! I refuse to get old!! So, if any of you see my work in ten years and it looks dated please give me a swift kick in the fanny and please point your toes while you're at it!!

xxooR
By Prairiedancer
On Tue Mar 28, 2006 03:03 PM
hello everyone!
My name is Erin and I own a studio in the Pacific Northwest. I satarted dance at 7 yrsand loved it. But my mother did not care for the studio ore recital so I didn't dance for three years after that. Started again at age 11 at a studio with primarily adult students. I adored my teacher (Emma Reimer) and babysat her young daughter in exchange for private pointe lessons. the smallest compliment from her made me so ecstatic. I knew at age 12 that I would be a balet teacher and have a studio. I danced with a local ballet company all through highschool and was captain of my highschool dance team. Anything to dance! I attended Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle and fell in love with Modern-it is almost as dear to my heart as ballet. After cornish I went to Evergreen State college. While there I was asked to teach at a nearby studio. Things snowballed from there. This year one of my students wrote an essay at school about how important I was to her. I thought to myself " Now I can consider myself a success." I couldn't be happier.
By AcroDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 09:00 AM
Edited by AcroDancer (22591) on 2006-03-30 10:15:08 Forgot age
HI!
I'm Chrissy. I am 23years old and currently teaching acrobatics, jazz, lyrical, musical theater, alittle bit of ballet and choreographing for our sports acro and competition teams at Premier Dance Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

I have been dancing for about 14 years and teaching for 6.
My favorite thing to teach is acro. I was always more of an acrobat than a dancer myself.
By ninaballerina6Premium member
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 08:26 PM
My name is Stephani and I am new to dance.net. I live in a suburb outside of St. Louis, and am working on opening my own studio. I am so excited! I have danced since I was 5 and recieved my bachelor's degree in dance. I tried a few different jobs that had nothing to do with dance...this made me realize my great passion for dance and education. I am also very addicted to fitness; I just recently took my group certification exam and hope to also offer that at my studio.

I have always taken ballet, jazz, tap, acro, and got into modern when I went to college. I had actually planned to audition a lot after I graduated, but the last semester of my senior year I suffered a knee injury that put me out of everything for almost a year. Needless to say my knee will never be the same. I suppose that was supposed to happen because it allowed me to realize my love for teaching.

I do remember my first teacher, in fact I still talk to her. She has been a big help in giving me advice in opening my studio. She was a fabulous teacher and I want to mirror many of the things she did.

I first became drawn to dance.net from reading all of these posts. It is interesting to hear about other teachers out there.
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers.... (karma: 1)
By itsadncthng
On Sat Apr 01, 2006 09:58 PM
Hi everyone. I'm Nicole and I'm 30 (I still hate saying it and its just gonna get worse). I own a studio in central NJ that I starting teaching at in college. I graduated from Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University with a BFA in dance almost 10 years ago. Now I'm the proud mommy of a 3 year old boy and a little ballerina in training who's 17 mos. My sister started dancing when I was 2 and I wanted to go so badly too. Back then they wouldn't let you start until you were 4. My first teacher was Ms. Cindy. I don't remember her much, but she was nice. One of my favorite teachers was Rocco Santafuro. I'm probably butchering his name, but he was so much fun and gave a great class. In a studio that played favorites, he was able to give me that extra boost of confidence. He didn't care about the drama and was just there to teach which was just what I needed at the time. My greatest joy is watching old videos and seeing the progress that my students and studio have made over the years. When I had one of my evaluations in college I was asked why I focused so much on my teaching. My professors felt that I should be working towards a performance career because I guess they saw some talent. I explained that I felt that too many students get cheated by unqualified instructors or well trained seasoned professionals that just don't have their heart in teaching. I'm sure many of you have experienced at least one of these teachers. Well I feel like I have something to share with my students that is very valuable, decent training and a great love of the art. Thats what teaching dance is all about.
By prettycat
On Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:57 PM
My name is Robynne, I'm 23 (almost 24). I teach at Academy of Dance in Orange County, CA. I've been teaching since I was a junior in high school, but took a three year break when I went to college in Oklahoma City (OCU). I have a 21 month old who I adore, I can't wait until she can start her own ballet classes!

I've danced since I was 4, up until my sophmore year at university when I injured my back and ended up switching to the history department. I grew up in the RAD (Royal Academy of Dancing) method and that is what I'm starting to teach now. I'm not certified yet, but when my daughter goes to kindergarten I plan on getting my certificate.

I mostly teach the baby classes (2-6 year olds), but that's ok since I love them! I also teach jazz and a beginning tap class as well as substituting for any and all classes. This place is great, I love the support and encouragemnt I see here!
from debi whats new
By debibecool
On Tue Apr 18, 2006 09:19 PM
Hi Im Debi. Im 22. I teach dancercise, boxercise, stretch, tone and condition classes aswell as funky, jazz, hiphop and urban style dance classes. I have taught in Europe for tourists and young people. I am also a choreographer and have done choreography for hotel shows, nightclubs, and some events. I learnt to dance at a young age doing workshops and joining local theatre, singing and dance groups. Plus I have taken dance classes and done a 1 year performance arts course. I also have a basic first aid and cpr certificate. I am trying to get certified in group instructing and personal training to add to my credentials.

I usually teach in gyms or dance studios. I rent the space for an hour and depending on the no in the group or location it would make my choice of venue

I am trying to get together summer workshops and a dance group, and to do some MTV style routine masterclasses.

My classes are informal but we still work on technique and exercises and my training and experience in sports means I can also write individual programs to help with strength, body conditioning, technique exercises, stamina, flexibility and also help with nutrition.

I hope this helps, Ive read lots of the other bios and theyre all so impressive.

Im starting a website soon with pictures of shows and routines and video clips in action. Ill let you knwo here at dancenet when i do,

debibecool
Page:
Page 8 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch