Forum: General

Page:
Page 9 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
re: Please tell a little about yourself teachers....
By leapjumpturn
On Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:05 AM
Hi everyone! I'm also pretty new to DDN, I found it a few months ago when I was at wits end with some of the drama that goes along with being a teacher. I'm happy to read about you all!
My name is Cheryl and I am 29. I've never felt so old in my life as reading some of you young'ins out there have your own school in your early 20's! That is my goal, but I feel like I have no idea where to start (oh, and the money!!!). It's really insipring to read about you self-starters out there jumping into your own businesses.
Anyway- I have studied dance my whole life, although my real education came when I was 12 and learned the real way to study ballet thanks to a wonderful teacher named Michelle Holzman. Then I studied with a former company member from ABT which led to an introduction to Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, one of the most inspiring companies in the world, in my humble opinion. After studying there, I tried a year of college at NIU. There I trained with the most dedicated and superb ballet instructors of all time-Randy Newsom. I can only strive to teach like he does!
A job lured me away from college and I try not to regret it...I wound up dancing at Disney World! It was such a turn-around from where I was heading but I loved making my own money and living alone at 19. That job led to cruise ships, tours, and eventually NY where I joined the Radio City Rockettes in 1999. I was a Rockette for 5 years and danced on and off in other shows. My heart just wasn't in it and I hated auditioning-sort of a pre-requisite for a professional dancer! I always felt like I should have finished school or even joined a dance company and explored the artistic side of dance.
After feeling lost everywhere except the safety of a good class, I substituted one day for a friend of mine who was teaching at a local dance school. I loved it and thought "Wow, I can actually make a living doing this!" Why didn't I think of that before? I had taught here and there when I was younger, but had only been focusing on a career onstage.
Teaching has been more satisfying for me than any performance or job! Who knew? I feel like I have so much to share and love the look on a student's face when they master a difficult step. I know that face! I love being in the classroom all the time, sharing ideas and choreographing. I hope to open my own school in the near future!
Good luck to all you great teachers out there.
By annetteb
On Wed Apr 19, 2006 04:27 PM
Hi

My name is Annette, and I am freelance teaching in London.
I teach contemporary, street jazz and ballet.

It is fascinating reading about all your stories, realizing that we all share the same passion.

I couldn't help noticing that a lot of you are very young, how come you chose to get into teaching so soon?
It has taken me a good few years of doing this and that, performing, travelling (doing dance), studying more and so on.

I first started teaching when I was 16, in my home town in Norway. Then I moved to London when I was 19 studying at Laban. I absolutely loved it...... I have been here ever since, time has just rushed off. I did a year of transitions where I got the taste of teaching again, but then I continued working on small projects, performing while working in bars to get some money. Hard work, but loads of fun. I even started studying something completely different thinking that I wasn¡¦t really that into dancing¡K oh was I wrong!!! So I started teaching some classes, and with the years it has developed and now I am teaching quite a lot. I still get that urge to learn everything, I want to be able to do all dance styles and more, I guess my biggest problem is to set a goal and focus on it. I tend to spread my wings and try to fly everywhere. I think I envy those who are able to do just thatƒº

I still ask my self sometimes if I am doing the right thing staying here, it is so hectic and one year turn into 4 so quickly. But the truth is, I wouldn't swap it for anything. I have had so many opportunities while I have been here, it has made it worth while.

A couple of years ago I was offered taking over my old dance school again in my home town, but I just wasn't ready. I was 25 at the time and I felt it was too soon for me to settle with something so structured. hmm... I would have loved to do it if it happened now. But the chance has passed and other opportunities have come along. I still want to have my dance school at some point though, I will probably have to build it up myself, but at least then I will be ready for it. Until then I will continue teaching and learning hopefully get even more experience under my belt so I can create the best dance school ever....

Hmmm.... my plan is out there and I sort of know where I am going, but it all just takes a bit longer than I thought.
That was a long one¡K..

The end

Annette
By danceattitudeNC
On Thu Apr 20, 2006 05:12 PM
Hello, my name is Kathy and I've been dancing for 25+ years, it's hard to believe I'm that old. I've been teaching for 6 almost 7 years. I grew up dancing in CA, doing ballet, pointe, jazz, tap and musical theatre. I have also done many stage plays. I love performing in front of a crowd, although I'm quite shy one on one. But there is nothing like dancing for 3,000 people! What a rush.
I have recently moved from CA to NC and am opening a brand new studio. I think I've learned enough from former studios on how to do this and how not to. I'm sure I'll make my fair share of mistakes, but just try to learn from them.
Suzie Taylor
By steppinoutdc
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 07:23 AM
HI! My name is Suzie Taylor and I am a dance instructor at Steppin Out Dance Center in Girard, Ohio. I am 20 years old and this is my first year teaching/choreographing. I have been dancing since the age of 4 and have performed professionally around the area. I have traveled to Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, and New York to study what I love. I was a competitive dancer and have won many regional and national awards with my dance team. I have performed with Aaron Carter in Cleveland at the 2004 International Children's Games.
SODC is owned by my mother, Rose Taylor. This past year, one of our teachers left and opened her own studio in the area, which is why I decided to come home from college and teach! Our studio, although we lost a few students, is doing better than ever!! We moved into a better building and it looks like an old ballet school. It was built in 1917 and is beautiful and will be registered as a historical monument in 2017 (I know...its far away). It has a lot of character and is unlike any dance studio around us.
I teach lyrial (MY favorite), Jazz, Tumbling, hip hop, technique, and choreograph for our competition team. I love teaching! It can be stressful since my mom owns it and it is basically my life, but I am so glad I came home to help out! Other than that..i think thats all :)

Suzieeee Taylor
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:49 AM
I have been on dance.net for awhile now, but, not having very much time to look around each time I log on, I only just recently found the teachers and studio owners forums! So sorry I've taken so long to introduce myself...My name is Katharine, Miss Kathie to my students :) I am almost 22 years old, I will be in July, and my studio story is kind of complicated, but I'll try to explain lol. I have been teaching since I was 13 years old. I started by assistant teaching at a studio called Ariel's Dance. My parents could never really afford to have me in dance even though I wanted to since I was about 5...the owner of Ariel's Dance was also the director of a Christian dance company that held rehearsals/lessons for free so I started in that at age 11 1/2 and then she recognized my talent and let me assist so I could take technique classes at the studio for free. I took classes in ballet, tap, jazz, and lyrical. I fell in love with teaching (and dancing :) I already was obviously) and eventually started helping with choreography for recitals etc. When I was 15 my sister and I taught about 12 kids in my parents garage "just for fun" for the summer. We loved, the kids loved it, so we kept teaching in the garage for the next 3 years we only had about 18 students, but we put on a recital every year and I knew that one day I wanted my own studio. Once I graduated highschool, the previous year I realized that I had outgrown Ariel's Dance, I went on to take classes at Palomar College, a community college with an amazing dance program. I studied there for 3 years taking classes in ballet, jazz, theatre, modern, tap, world dance, choreography, dance history etc. I was then hired at a private school where I began to teach classes for their P.E. program in ballet, tap and jazz for kindergarten through 12th grade. I was also able to start renting out the studio at the school for my own classes (yes they moved out of the garage) and soon will be moving those "after school classes" into my own full-fledged studio with a space of its own, I am looking at a few space now (and crossing my fingers). The students in my little "garage studio" went from 18 dancers to now 54 dancers through the after school program I run through the school. I am hoping enrollment will go up a lot during the next year. Right now I call my dance program Katharine's Dance, but when I have my own studio it will be called Katharine's Dance Academy. I currently teach classes in ballet, tap, jazz, and lyrical to students from 2 years old up to 18 years old.
As far as inspiration goes...its my students that inspire to keep dancing and teaching
By stillkickingit
On Tue May 02, 2006 02:19 PM
Hi, my name is Alyssa and I've been teaching in MA for the past three years. I started my training at 8 in NH, attended summer programs at Boston Ballet, and after high school had a full scholarship and traineeship to Milwaukee Ballet. I suffered from a stress fracture in my foot and had to take time off which resulted in my decision to move back home and get my BA in Theatre and Dance from UNH. At UNH I performed with the Jazz and Ballet companies, toured in a Moliere production, and was the recipient of the Gary O'Neill "triple threat" musical theatre scholarship.After graduation I was still soured on the lifestyle of performers (ie. was freaked about money, worried about injury etc, and didn't want to "pimp" out my talents in cheesey dinner theatres). Although I had taught dance, acting and puppetry for two years in college,I didn't look for teaching work when I moved to MA because I felt my resume "wasn't good enough". About 9 years later, 9 months after the birth of my son, I saw an audition notice for Chicago, and somehow, got the nerve to go. I was cast and as it turned out the choreographer had a new studio in my town. She asked me to teach ballet for her, and now I am also teaching jazz for her and next year will take on the musical theatre class as well as an acting class. I LOVE IT! I can not believe I gave up my life's passion for so many years but am so grateful for the rebirth. I find teaching so much more rewarding than I ever imagined and think of my own teachers, all these years later, with new appreciation and understanding.
to Melissa23
By bigeasytapper
On Wed May 03, 2006 07:10 AM
Hey there, I just read your post after being away from the site for many months. I had to laugh, because I am the same - a tapper at heart (hence the nickname). I am desperately trying to instill the love of tap in the hearts of all the little ones I teach (ages 2 to about 10). Yes, ballet is more popularly seen in mainstream, but I think it's really important to develop core structure in ballet even though tap is my favorite. I find that everything revolves in some way around ballet, whether it's the flow of things, the gracefulness, discipline, or a combination of all of these plus, I'm not really sure, but I think if you don't have that root in ballet, you can't move forward too well in tap. Just my theory! Good luck to you in your new school. Monique
Please tell a little about yourself teachers
By batgirl5
On Fri May 05, 2006 12:58 PM
MY name is Becky, I'm 25 and I have been teaching for 8 years (that includes assisting)
My first dance recital, I honestly don't remember. That's because I was still in my mom's tummy....and she was out there doing ariel cartwheels!!! My grandmother was a dance teacher, my mom is a dance teacher/SO, and I was bound and determineed all through life that I was NOT going to be a dance teacher. I was an athlete all through junior high, high school, and college. I took dance classes, but hated being known as the teacher's daughter. I have 2 older sisters, but they never had to do all the dumb stuff I had to do! Anyways, I went away to college to play volleyball, and I found myself balling my eyes out every year when I came back for the recital. It was then that I realized that deep down inside, no matter how much I tried to fight it, dancing was my passion. I moved back home after graduation and began teaching again. I taught ballet (which I am not a fan of) tap, and jazz. But I still felt like something was missing. Last year, I started hip hop classes at our studio. Our program is crazy big now. It's a blast, I love every minute of it. And I love all ages. I love the little ones (I went to school to be a preschool teacher, so I guess I really am using my degree) because they are like sponges, sucking up everything you have to teach them. I love the middle aged kids. Although it's a guarantee that at least one of them will cry each week because so-and-so said they didn't like them anymore. But I like them because they're still at the point that nothing embarasses them, they'll get out there and shake it til the cows come home. And I love the older kids, mainly because a lot of them have been around since preschool and It's cool to see them blossom. I also love the older kids because I can give them more difficult steps, which in turn, challenges me to be a better dancer. I love to be challenged. What can I say? I love this business. I love the overwhelming feeling I get when I see a young child dancing with pure joy. I love to see the looks on the little one's faces when they get to put on their costumes. I love to be an example both inside the walls of the studio and out. I love this job!
By Rebel_Mom
On Mon May 22, 2006 01:37 PM
Hi, I read you story about your life as a dancer. What really interested me and prompt me to read it was that fact that you once were a rockette. I have a six year old daughter who loves to dance among other things. This coming year she will be performing her first solo to "I want to be a rockette". I am sure you have heard this song. It is a very cute song and I was wanting to know if you could offer any advice or tips that we could learn from to really pull off her routine. Do the rockettes strictly just dance tap and perform high kicks or do they also do jazz? What types of dancing do the rockettes perform? My daughter is so excited about this solo and this song and any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
By pamzie
On Tue May 23, 2006 08:26 AM
My name is Pamela and I am 37 years old. I have been teaching since I was 21, and I love it more every day. There is nothing in the world I would rather do. I am married and have 3 children. My 2 daughters age 16 and 11 are both dancers, and my son, who will be 2 in August has been going to the studio with me since he was 4 weeks old. I have high hopes for him as he has a beautiful releve' and great musicality :)! Anyway, I work at Inspirations Dance Studio in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. I have been here since August and am looking forward to my first recital next week. Previously I worked at an emotional growth boarding school, a ballet school, a University, a public high school, and a couple of other studios. I took my first dance class when I was in Kindergarten, and never really stopped. I've done ballet, modern, jazz, theatre dance, ballroom, social dance, folk dance, drill team, cheerleading, gymnastics, and a little tap. Ballet is my main focus now. I danced with a company for 15 years. I also have a degree in History and Dance Education. The studio I teach at has 6 levels of ballet, which I teach, and I teach 2 levels of modern in addition to privates. The studio owner and other teachers teach jazz, tap, hip hop, and tumbling. I love choreographing, which I've only really done the last 5 years or so. At my last school, we put on a show every 12 weeks, so I got a lot of experience putting stuff together in a short period of time. It was exhilarating and exhausting all at the same time, but a great learning experience. I'm a big believer in lifelong learning.
By Dancer128iupui
On Wed May 24, 2006 07:28 AM
I was just wondering where in Indiana your dance studio is located. I teach/coach a high school dance team and I like to give them various studios to take classes at to remain fit and "top of their game" (as we like to say) over our summer break. If it is not too far from us, I would like to give them your information as a place to look into taking classes from. Your studio seems wonderful and it is obvious you are talented. Any information would be wonderful! Thanks! Dancer128iupui.
By pjdance
On Fri Jun 02, 2006 07:55 AM
Hi, my name is Pam and I feel very old with all you young girls, I'm 40 something and i took over the studio where i have taken lessons since i was 6, i took lessons from another teacher for 4 years before i started with the my last teacher, i became the owners assistant when i was 16. I love teaching and that is why when she retired last year after 50 years of teaching i took over and my studio became Dance Expressions, i finally am living my dream. I teach all phases of dance and baton, ages 2- Adult. I have a small studio in PA but I'm loving every minute of it. I would like to get back and go to some of the newer dance conventions so if anyone can recommend any let me know. I have gone to DMA, Hoctors, Dance Olympus, Tremaine, but would like to try some new ones if they are any good. I am really enjoying this site it is very interesting. keep dancing and smiling
Im from Mexico
By windsoul
On Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:28 AM
Hi Im from Mexico and am a teacher at the Conservatory of Music and Dance ESMYD in Monterrey, NL. I found this webpage and found it interesting. I teach modern dance, floor barre, classical ballet, afro jazz, body expression and choreography besides my own technique dance percussion. I have a company that has performed in USA, Canada, India, Cuba, Peru, etc. My dancers have studied 5 years in the conservatory through very strick professional study. They have to go to our school for training during 5 hours a day, everyday. The main training is classical cuban ballet techique and graham technique. But they also get training in limon or Cunnigham. I believe strongly in techique. I work mainly in the Conservatory and with my company. I also give master classes and workshops all over the country and other countries. Contact me if anyone is interested. My company is called Danza Contemporanea en Concierto. You can google it. I also direct a Dance Festival look it up in festivalextremadura.org Hope to hear from you interested in workshops. Glad to meet you all.
By lavieenrose
On Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:37 AM
Since I'm new here, I figured this would be a good place to start.

I am 28 (yesterday was my bday!), married w/ 2 kids, a 2.5 year old little boy and an 8 month old little girl. We recently moved to Salida, CO where there is NO ballet - at all! I will be teaching ballet at either the rec center, or the one lonely studio in town, and I hope to eventually open my own studio. I'm really excited to start a program from the ground up, but a bit intimidated, too.

My background is only in ballet - I danced with a small, local, professional company in high school and since I didn't have the body type to go any further than that, I just continued taking classes throughout college and beyond. I've done just about every female part in The Nutcracker at one time or another, Paquita, Don Quixote, Midsummer's, variations from Coppelia, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake and on and on. I miss it, but I love teaching.

Any suggestions or help anyone has w/ starting a program in a "virgin" area would be greatly appreciated, I really want to do a great job here! TIA!
By JennaB
On Wed Jul 19, 2006 08:16 AM
My name is Jenna and I am 20 years old. I do not own my own Dance Studio, yet. But, I plan to have one someday. (Jenna Marie’s School of Dance).
Although, I still consider myself a dance teacher, I have taught dance for 2 years at the dance studio, I learn to dance at. I worked with the little ones and taught ballet and tap.
I am on a college dance team at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, FL and my dance coach has just made me a coach for an All-Star dance team in Naples, FL. I am so excited to start working with the girls, I am working on choreography for them in hip-hop and jazz and also taking them to competitions throughout the year. I also teach
2 classes a week in our aerobics room at our gym at FGCU, for girls who have never danced before. (It’s kind of, recruitment for our Dance Team).
I started dancing when I was 5 and I have studied ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, point and modern. I was on a competition team for 5 years and now I am enjoying dance in college.
I am studying to become an Elementary school teacher and hopefully someday have my dance studio on the side. When I was younger I thought I was going to be a huge star on Broadway, but once I started teaching I decided that was more for me.
By dancerSL
On Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:00 PM
I have loved reading about everyone!

My name is Shannon. I'm 33. I teach at a studio in the suburbs of Chicago. I've been teaching for 12 years, with some time off for having babies :D I have a son and 2 daughters, one of whom is in love with dancing (she's 4) I danced since I was 3. Right now I teach pre-dance, jazz, ballet and pointe. And I am so happy I found this board!! What an amazing wealth of information!!
Great topic!
By ballerinababe1
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 05:51 PM
My name is Krista. I am 25, and live in Northern California. I have been teaching for almost 8 years, and opened up my own small Ballet studio last summer. Totally not planned, but the studio I was teaching at closed rather abruptly (poor Business Management) and I didn't want to stop teaching, so I decided to go for it! It has been such an amazing year, and I am slowly building up my student numbers as the word gets out about me. I really enjoy getting to come here to get ideas and suggestions. Thanks to all of you who make this such a great site!
About yoursled
By Courtney19
On Sun Jul 23, 2006 09:21 AM
your name: Courtney
name of studio: Dance Works Studio
your age: 21
how long you have been teaching. Technically 3 years but I have been assisting and doing things around the studio since I was 10.
what styles you teach: Jazz and Lyrical are my specialties but I have taught ballet and will be teaching tap this year as well.

How you learned: Taken dance since age 2.5 traveled around the country taking class in LA and NY. Taken Classes in modern, kisneology and ballet in college. Currently working on a BFA in dance.

If you danced before, if so what you took, who inspired you:
Well almost everything, from irish step dance,rhythmic gymnastics, belly dance, pilates, rhytmic gymnastics to the traditional Tap, Ballet, Lyrical, Modern, Jazz, Pointe etc.
Gregory Hines , Fred Astair, Ginger Rodgers (the classics) and Frank Hatchett have always been my favorites! Although currently I love Nick Lazzarini and Jason Parsons, and of course the brilliant Mia Michaels.

And do you remember your first dance teacher? Yes my mom was one of my first dance teacher even though she didnt have her own studio then. I danced to thumbelina and had a hot pink polka dotted tutu!
I guess technically though my first dance teacher was Dianne Kurns.
By JennaB
On Mon Jul 24, 2006 09:40 AM
I just wanted to say this was a great idea. It's nice to hear about other people and what there doing. I have gotten a lot of good ideas form it.
By DCDancer274member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 02:30 PM
Edited by DCDancer274 (102819) on 2006-08-08 14:39:29
Hi everyone.. My name is Meghan and this coming year will be my very first offical year of teaching. I am 18 and have been helping out with dance classes since I was 10. In my studio there is a teacher training program and I am proud to say that I have completed the program and I am now teaching (for now) one class. I wish I had more, but if more students register, I may get more classes. I am teaching a preschool 2 class, which is older 3, 4 and young 5 year olds. I am so excited! I have been dancing for 15 years at the same studio and I am going into my first year of college, majoring in child education. I hope to get many ideas from the teacher section of DDN and happy teaching all!
By DJules
On Mon Aug 21, 2006 03:23 PM
Edited by DJules (164142) on 2006-08-21 15:59:27 edited for spacing
Hello! Thought I'd introduce myself!

I'm Julie, 32 years old, dancing ever since I could tag along with my big sis to class.

I was active throughout my childhood in the performing arts - doing dancing, (including a performing group, competetions, a trip to Disney, etc.,) music (yup, band geek here. and flag team captain!:P) and lots of community theatre. Hello, my name is Julie and I am a middle child. :D

I started assisting my teachers with classes when I was a sophomore in high school, and continued on for five years. Absolutely loved it. I attended a small community college where I got my associates degree in drama, and then went on to study dance and drama at Utah State University.

Got married, had a daughter (just barely in that order :)) did some small graduate-student directed plays after a friend called and said, "Please come audition. The baby can come to rehearsals." (Yes, folks, the woman can breastfeed AND act!;))Then I started teaching some classes at the local recreation center, which worked well, until we decided to move back to Idaho to be closer to family partially because of the impending arrival of another wee one.

I taught at a local gymnastics place for a while, but soon got tired of things like getting locked out of the building, and having scheduling conflicts, having to ask to get payed, and um...I didn't really like the testosterone overdose I got from being around one of the coaches.

So now, I have a small studio where I teach dance classes, and hubby teaches an acting class with me (And cuts my music, builds scenery, drives us to competetions, makes sure I don't go completely crazy, etc.) We homeschool the munchkins, and several of our students either are or have been homeschoolers. We're big on creativity, real big on age appropriateness, and since we have Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, atheists, and "nearly-invisible Ninja-ians" (er..that's my son :P) we also keep our songs non-religious and don't do "holiday" themed dances in order to respect the differing beliefs.

In my "spare" (HAHAHA!) time I like to make beads and other baubles - which often end up getting used in costuming!
By brynneth
On Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:47 AM
My name is Brynneth - I am 23 years old and I have been teaching for about 5 years. I teach ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, lyrical, and musical theater.

I have been dancing since I was young... not sure exactly what age I started... I think 4 or 5... maybe 3... I really don't remember lol. I am a musician and I have taken ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, pointe, lyrical, drama, and a few piano lessons when I was younger (but I am basically self-taught musically).

My very first dance teacher I don't remember because I was so young. But my second teacher was my favourite. Her name was Michelle and she was such a sweet girl. Unfortunately after a few years she ended up moving 4 hours away, so I got new teachers.

I work in a small town, but at the best studio for sure.
By jtgogo
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 08:23 PM
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to DDN, but what a great website! I can't believe I just found out about it... anyway, I'm 27 and work in the Charlotte, NC area. I grew up dancing in Charlotte, training in Cecchetti, jazz and tap. I went on to an awesome university in NC and majored in dance and choreography, then came back to Charlotte to teach, choreograph, and perform with local companies here. Now I teach full-time at an AWESOME area dance conservatory- I teach ballet (focus is in Cecchetti,) modern, jazz, tap, and creative movement. I also co-founded a professional dance-based arts collaborative and work on that pretty much whenever I'm not teaching.
By startapper
On Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:06 PM
Hi, my name is Pam and I have been teaching dance for the past 16 years. I run a small studio in southern Indiana. I teach tap, jazz, lyrical, and ballet. Ms. Cheri is our hip-hop teacher. I am a member of Dance Masters of America. My students perform at a lot of local festivals, fairs, and retirement homes. We've also performed at Walt Disney World. We also do 2 competitions a year. Tap is my favorite dance form.
By MissAmandaRF
On Thu Nov 09, 2006 03:05 PM
I'm Amanda, and I teach Ballet in western Wisconsin. I can teach all ages but I am most confident with the little kids. I've been teaching for 4 years now and I'm almost 27. I have a day job so I don't teach much but I really enjoy it.
Page:
Page 9 of 13: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

ReplySendWatch