Forum: Folk / African Dance

before enrollin' to an african dance class, what shud i know?
By wiggla_chick
On Fri Sep 03, 2004 04:11 AM

been thinkin' 2 join an african dance class, what thangz to take into consideration before enrolling?

3 Replies to before enrollin' to an african dance class, what shud i know?

re: before enrollin' to an african dance class, what shud i know?
By WsDanceluvr89
On Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:08 AM
Well, first you should know that African dance is not really for the typical dancer. I take classes in it and it is defininately the most amazing dance I have ever seen. You really have to be able to get into, throw your head around and really absorb the drum beat. It's an earthy dance, full of ancient traditions and emotion. Not to mention it includes an intense physical workout. But just because I said it's not for everyone, doesn't mean I think you shouldn't try it. I think it's great that you're trying something that most dancers wouldn't even consider. You'll want to be barefoot, no booty shorts, probably pants and a tank top, plenty of water, and have an open mind. Good luck and have fun.
By wiggla_chick
On Sat Sep 11, 2004 01:11 PM
thanx WsDanceluvr89 4 ur help,
well, I really like African dance. it's rhythmic and sexy too. I used to dance Somali with my friends. I think you know how one feels when booty shakin':)
It wuz jes 4 fun, but one day I took it seriously and i said "I need 2 learn some new moves."
By zineryt
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 02:39 PM
I wud read up or collect as much info as you can of african dancing, because it aint the typical kind of dancing an you might be really shocked when you get there. Also make sure you really warm up especially your legs, because there is a lot of low movement and also elevation so you have been warned!
Mel x

ReplySendWatch