Forum: General / Contests

Contests
contest rules, how to post screenshots, pictures inside threads and more... (karma: 15)
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10721, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Fri Sep 03, 2004 08:18 AM
Made sticky by balletgurl (11968) on 2004-09-03 09:09:58

I think that we have way too many stickes here, that´s why I decided to copy all the information into one thread.

Important Contest Rules!

there can be only one winner

For each contest, there can only be ONE winner. Period. Choose the best overall, and that person gets a trophy and ONE karma point.

I have seen contests where 5 people entered, and the organizer couldn't decide a winner so they made 5 categories (most original, most purple, whatever) and declared everyone to be a winner. This is one of the reasons we almost didn't have a contest board.

Your contest will be deleted, and all karma points forfeited, and the organizer will also lose a karma point, if the rules are not followed. What kind of contest would it be if everyone won?

Please post a winner!

Please remember to post a winner when your contest is over.
If your not going to follow through with your contest then don't post one. Some people enjoy these contests, me included, and it's not fair that we have to wait so long to find out the winner. If you don't have time (on the day the contest ends) to make a trophy then at least post a comment saying "the winner will be announced with in the next "2" days" then lock your post. We all understand you have a life outside dance.net and you might be busy on the day you plan on ending the contest, but it only takes a few minutes to lock a thread. There are a number of contests right now that ended days (or even weeks) ago and still haven't had a winner announced.

Many of us enjoy the contests so much we'd like to do a "follow-up" contest but can't until you end yours. so please be considerate and follow through, or don't post a contest, just enter them.

Please remember to lock your comment!

Several contests remain open even after a winner has been chosen and I've seen people who keep entering thinking they have a chance! Ah, poor guys! lol

So even if you haven't completely decided on your winner, it's nice for everyone to see that the contest is officially DONE. Especially since sometimes people extend/delay/change the final dates.

Contest entries do not go here!

Contest entry's do not go on this page.
they go on the photo's page
www.dance.net . . .

Posting your entry's here causes contests to fall onto other pages, and most people don't check the other pages. Please be considerate and use the pages for what they are ment for.
This page s for contest to be posted and for people to enjoy this site, not for different pictures of edited items.

How to post screenshots and how to add pictures into your post

How to post screenshots

Here's all you need to know about how to post a screen shot because it's asked quite often. Hopefully this will be clear enough that everyone can understand it.

Step 1:
- Play the game and get your score
Step 2:
- On your keyboard on the top right usually on the very first row there are three keys: ( Print Scrn/SysRq, Scroll Lock, Pause/Break). Push the Print Scrn key once.
Step 3:
- Open an image editing program such as paint shop pro and go to edit and then paste new image. The entire screen your score is on will paste in.
Step 4:
- Crop out the area of the score and click on copy then paste that image into a new one so you don't have the entire screen again. Save it somewhere that you'll remember where it is.
Step 5:
- Come to dance.net Contest Photos and create a new thread. Click on browse and find the image of your score to upload it.
Step 6:
- Once you upload it into your post, right click on it and go to properties. There will be a URL in there, highlight it and type ctrl+C to copy it.
Step 7:
- Go to the Contest board and under the thread of the contest you are entering, reply and type [img]URL[/img]. Type ctrl+V to paste the url in between the boxes.
Step 8:
- Type your comment and send it and there you have it. Your image will be added to the post.

This explains each step to post a screen shot and if anyone is still confused feel free to PM LoveToDance1867 or another dance.net member who has posted screen shots. We'll be glad to help out.

How to put pictures in your posts

You can find all mark-up codes here: www.dance.net . . .
For posting pictures inside a thread you do this: [image=http://www.site.com/image.jpg ] Just leave out the blank space at the end. Your picture needs to be in the web, you can post it in "Contest photos" or at www.photobucket.com
After doing this you just right click on the picture and click "properties", then you copy the URL and put it into the mark-up codes.

Kathy

11 Replies to contest rules, how to post screenshots, pictures inside threads and more...

re: contest rules, how to post screenshots, pictures inside threads and more... (karma: 1)
By DanceChica02member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5447, member since Wed Jan 23, 2002
On Fri Sep 03, 2004 01:46 PM
Thank you, Kathy! Hopefully people will actually read this.

And thanks for including my "lock your comments" post in here, too.
re: contest rules, how to post screenshots, pictures inside threads and more...
By lil_pb_kicker07member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 421, member since Sun Jul 20, 2003
On Fri Sep 03, 2004 06:11 PM
good explanation . . . i get very annoyed when people ask in threads how to hotlink when there were already posts on that

i agree with ^^^ i hope people read this
By ReallyAViolinistmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 779, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:51 PM
Does having stickies cleaned up into one big post make anyone else feel refreshed??? LOL I can't understand why it makes me feel so much better. I'm pathetic.

Anyway... thank you! For making me refreshed and for your hard work!
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:27 AM
Thank you very much Kathy! I also think the board needed to be "cleaned up" a little bit; there were way to many stickies! :D

I gave you a karma; for your hard work and making everything understandable! :D

~pb12

xoxo
By FabulousFeet Comments: 908, member since Sat Apr 17, 2004
On Mon Oct 11, 2004 09:08 PM
Thanks for that, I want to start entering contests and now I have a beter understanding of how this place works!
By Tangerine895 Comments: 1233, member since Mon Oct 13, 2003
On Wed Nov 03, 2004 06:03 PM
thanks for everything.. definitely very helpful!

and thanks especially for the bit about posting pictures inside your posts... i've always wanted to know how to do that and now i know thanks to your expertise lol :D
By tinydancer9member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 610, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Tue Nov 30, 2004 09:53 AM
I just locked my Minesweeper contest and its only crossed out when you click on it. I can't figure it out!
By tinydancer9member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 610, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Wed Dec 01, 2004 01:36 PM
Okay, it's right now. Sorry...
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3041, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 08:45 AM
How to post screenshots

Better yet, save yourself some work by copying only the window instead of the whole screen. In your step 2, change "Push the Print Scrn key once" to "Push " - Yes, press both keys at once.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3041, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 09:05 AM
Contest entry's do not go on this page.
they go on the photo's page

This should be enforced for contests involving photos because often photos are bulky, and collectively they necessitate a lot of scrolling. Regretfully, this rule has not been enforced. There seems to be no correlation between the posts here and the posts there.

Since I was about to announce a writer's contest (fiction), I suggest that THOSE entries go on this page: www.dance.net . . ..
When the time comes, I'll provide a link directly to the post.
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10721, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 09:15 AM
^do not tell me, but a Mod. I can´t change anything.

ReplySendWatch