Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

Pas De Deux
Answers to basic Pas de Deux questions (karma: 40)
By dsrutis Comments: 228, member since Sun Mar 31, 2002
On Wed Sep 08, 2004 01:18 PM
Made sticky by dsrutis (25195) on 2004-09-08 13:20:46

Some Basic Questions everyone seems to have and always ask about Pas de Deux.
(kinda geared towards females, sorry guys, still some stuff in here for ya)

<b>What does Pas de Deux mean?!</b>
Dance for two...... There ya go

<b>What is the correct weight/am I too heavy for Pas?</b>
Different teachers and different artistic directors will have different views on this.. For me.. So long as you can hold yourself and do everything right and the male is strong in his partnering, weight should no be an issue.
I've danced with girls that I thought, "There's no way I can get her over my head" but BLAM, easy as pie, there they were, being held above my head like it was something we've done all our lives together.
And on the same coin, I've danced with girls that I think, "Oh man, I wanna lift her, I'll be able to throw her around like no body's business!" And wind up barely being able to lift her off the ground.
It's all about how you hold yourself and how things work, it's not a matter of how heavy you are, because depending on how you partner, that can feel like nothing.

Am I too tall/short?
There's no height requirement for pas. Granted, if you're 2 feet taller then the boy your partnering with, or if your 2 feet shorter then the girl you're partnering with, it's gonna look odd on stage. But in class, and such, there's no reason for shorter guys not to dance with taller girls, I've danced with females quite a bit taller then me, and it never posed a problem.
And as for stage, there are taller guys out there, I danced with a 6'7 dancer once, so there's always someone out there for you, and you'll stumble across them.
And as for being too short... Can't really see that one... Short girls can be hecka fun to partner with. So just go for it.

<b>Is Pas de Deux fun!?</b>
Yes.... Yes it is... When you find a partner you click with and can just dance with, Pas de Deux can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of dance.

<b>Is Pas really hard?</b>
Yes... Yes it is...

<b>What's a good age to start Pas de Deux?</b>
Once again, different teachers and artistic directors are going to have different views. But in general, I would say, for females, that not until they can go on pointe, because Pas is so much easier in pointe shoes. Plus this is also the time that females are starting to realize where their bodies are, how they work, and all that lovely stuff, and until you know where your limbs are, and how much reach you have until you smack the guy in the face... Well... Chances are... You're gonna smack the guy in the face...
BUT, you can do basic partnering at any point, getting comfortable and body placement can start at any age.
As for males... I'd say that until they are able to build the muscles that they use to partner with, they probably shouldn't do it. Because even in partnered pirouettes the male needs strength in his arms and be able to hold the female upright and it takes more strength then you would think.
So, the basic answer to that one is... I'd say partnering typically shouldn't start till around age 12 or 13... But that's me.

<b>Do I NEED to do Pas de Deux/should I do it?</b>
You don't NEED it, but chances are, if you join a company, at some point, you're going to be partnered, and the more experience you can get at something, the better. So you should do it, don't let it intimidate you, just go for it and have fun.

<b>Do guys drop girls?</b>
We try not to... I haven't ever dropped a girl... Just trust.

<b>Does pas hurt?</b>
Not if done correctly, you may get a bit red and maybe bruised at first, while your body is getting use to it, and adjusting to having a guy lift you and throw you around, but that will pass. Just stick with it.

That's all I can think of right now..
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask, I'll answer anything I can

Later
Dsrutis

115 Replies to Answers to basic Pas de Deux questions

re: Answers to basic Pas de Deux questions (karma: 1)
By CherBear Comments: 399, member since Wed Aug 27, 2003
On Wed Sep 08, 2004 03:40 PM
I had my first pas de deux class this summer. You're right -- it's FUN! Thanks for a great post.
re: Answers to basic Pas de Deux questions
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Wed Sep 15, 2004 04:33 AM
GREAT POST! So so so true... Although, I have been dropped, once. He was too bust flirting with the next girl and lifted me her way instead of the right way, I went THUMP!!! Lol, we all had a good laugh, but I never partnered him again! :D
By TrIaNnADaNcErmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 462, member since Sun Jun 13, 2004
On Sat Sep 18, 2004 08:24 PM
My studio dont do pdd :(
By dance324536 Comments: 37, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Sat Sep 18, 2004 08:34 PM
i've never done pas de deux... but i have done a bunch of lifts and stuff wooo so fun
By lacey_graham69 Comments: 370, member since Wed Jul 07, 2004
On Sun Sep 19, 2004 08:00 PM
That sounds like fun!
hi
By Cdance1011 Comments: 229, member since Mon Sep 20, 2004
On Thu Sep 23, 2004 03:32 PM
you are so great! if i had karma i'd give to u but oh well

C
By lilmamaz Comments: 22, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:43 PM
gosh u kno a lot about dance
By katerinidion Comments: 195, member since Mon Mar 24, 2003
On Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:53 AM
Thanks!!!! It was really helpful and I fope to be as fun as you say it is!!! :)

Katerinidion
By Gemwee Comments: 768, member since Sun Apr 04, 2004
On Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:56 PM
Great post! I remember my first ever Pas De Dux was really scary because the guy i was partnered with i really didn't trust so i stuffed the whole lesson up because of my little trust issue! Mind you it is all good with us now and we are performing on stage in less than a moth.
By TaPcRaZy424 Comments: 77, member since Sun Sep 26, 2004
On Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:56 PM
I started pas de deux this year, and it is tons of fun. FYI-The better the partner the better the class!
By exballerina Comments: 3, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2004 03:39 AM
yep, FUN!!! if you don't get grabbed in the wrong place.....LMAO
By SpiralBallet Comments: 1306, member since Fri May 07, 2004
On Sun Oct 17, 2004 06:17 AM
Thanks for answering all my doubts about ballet!
This post must have really helped many of us to understand PDD! Anyway, I am thankfull as I will be doing Pas De Deux for the concert!
By asfadancer12 Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 07, 2004
On Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:26 AM
i like to dance
to basic Pas de Deux questions
By tululu Comments: 27, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Wed Oct 27, 2004 01:21 PM
Very nice ambiance ^^
having a tea and having a look here =)
my experiance..
By althea Comments: 13, member since Sun Jan 25, 2004
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 04:01 AM
so im 17 now but this past summer i was still 16 and partnered a russian (perm) ballet dancer here in Malta..my first time ever never had training and in 2 and half weeks the show ahd to be on...i mean there were problems of lifting and problems of trust, he wasnt giving it his 100% while i tried my very best so i think both have to be down at the same level so it can work, so anyway i spoke to him clearly about it and altugh he didnt seem to take it seriously anyway on the night we both gave it our all and it went very very well!..so just for the record had my ballet Advanced exam yesterday and passed with Honours! very very happy!...enjoy!
Answers to basic Pas de Deux questions (karma: 3 / 3)
By olesya Comments: 70, member since Fri Feb 20, 2004
On Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll feel a little better about trusting the guys ;)
By Cdance1011 Comments: 229, member since Mon Sep 20, 2004
On Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:49 PM
good post!
i'm glad it was a made a sticky.

cu

cdance
never had the chance
By Leo308 Comments: 24, member since Wed Nov 10, 2004
On Fri Nov 12, 2004 01:38 PM
i have neveer had the chance to pdd. i dont plan on doing ballet all me life actually im focusing on modern right now. but ive never partnered. do you think this will be a problem for me? im already 18.
By ballerina7 Comments: 462, member since Sat Mar 08, 2003
On Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:28 PM
Edited by ballerina7 (59010) on 2004-11-15 23:25:17
im soooo wanting to parter!!! but we dont have boys at my ballet studio :S hmmm i'll suggest some partnering at my other studio lol

by the way nice meeting you...i hadnt seen you before, always nice to meet other mods
By jessrobs Comments: 74, member since Sat Mar 29, 2003
On Tue Nov 16, 2004 02:09 PM
that was interesting info! I had only had one class of partnering, it was a blast! we did only supported pirouettes and a swan dive from arabesque, but i really would like to do more of it! i'm really interested, but the two older boys at our studio are strong enough, but are confused about placement and are a little less experienced! but thanks for the tips!
By dreaming_Odettemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 368, member since Wed Nov 17, 2004
On Thu Nov 18, 2004 01:57 PM
I am 13 and I am doing Pas De Duex. I have done some parts from swan Lake and a part from Don Quiotte (spelling?) At first I had a little hard time trusting my parterner, but now I have just learned that if you do Pas de Duex your just going to have to trust him. It is really fun! I have a great teacher and partner!
By fouetteboi Comments: 214, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 03:41 AM
It can be dangerous! Like we did the one lift the first time i ever partnerd and i wasnt strong enough, and we tried it a few month later after i was stronger from partnering and i almost threw the girl over my sholder and she was saposed to land on it. She didnt fall tho and we all had a great laugh its so much fun! But like we had a demonstration and the girl i partnerd the best with i didnt get to dance with her (sad face) but it was still fun.
By x_Rose_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 246, member since Mon Aug 30, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 07:17 AM
Great informative post :)

unfortunately I've never done Pad de Deux, there are 3 boys in my class but they're about 9/10 years old (whereas I'm 18) so I've never had the chance and our sudio's quite small so there are only a few boys that go (and they're all really young lol!) but I would really like to try it in the future (If I get into dance college this year I'm sure I'll be able to do it then)

x-Rose-x
By Cherylwl Comments: 5, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Sat Jan 08, 2005 08:36 AM
i have nv done pas de deux yet...but i would like to one day!
Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch