Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Page:
Page 3 of 51 2 3 4 5
re: Answers to basic Pas de Deux questions
By bettybunhead Comments: 6, member since Sat Mar 08, 2003
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 04:56 AM
to love4ballet4eva
i go to the australian ballet school although i have been doing pas de deux since i was twelve a lot of the girls and boys infact most of them hadn't ever done pas de deux and they start pretty slow so you can get a feel for it hope it helped dont worry
By star2b_alliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 302, member since Sun Jun 08, 2003
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 02:58 PM
Thank you for this post! There is a lot of discrepencies when it comes to some of these questions about PDD, it's nice to have someone who knows what they're talking about answer them once and for all! I adore performing pas de duex...one of my favorite aspects of ballet.

Thanks again!

By pretty_dancer Comments: 336, member since Mon Jun 27, 2005
On Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:10 AM
i must say you sure know your stuff:) thanks a lot for sharing! karma for you:):)
By balletjazzhiphop Comments: 25, member since Sun Jul 24, 2005
On Mon Jul 25, 2005 03:45 PM
It sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure my studio does pdd, but I just started ballet again so I have a long time to wait anyway.
By ebrumalkocmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 302, member since Fri Feb 06, 2004
On Fri Jul 29, 2005 05:03 AM
thank u I really love PDD with my boyfriend. it has being lovely and pashionable
By PRBallarina Comments: 21, member since Tue Jul 26, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 07:44 PM
Great post,it has all the info I needed for my class.Thanx
By megamelfina Comments: 205, member since Fri Jan 30, 2004
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 08:16 AM
Thanks for posting! Many teachers don't let me do pas de deux because I am too 'big'. But when I danced with one partner, he said I was great, because I knew how to hold myself. This helps me feel better about myself. :) :)
By sing4joymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 374, member since Thu Jun 30, 2005
On Wed Aug 10, 2005 06:40 AM
That pic is so beautiful! :D

Anyhoo, good post. Too bad I can't put it into practice (my dance school doesn't teach PDD... :( )
By sugarplumfairy01 Comments: 21, member since Tue Nov 02, 2004
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 07:18 PM
personally..pas de deux is magical!
there is nothing like two people, doing perfectly sincrinized movement to beautiful music. I have done many...including sugar plum's grand pas, le corsaire, and grand pas classique. All have touched my soul artistically. Good luck to all partnerships out there.
By Dance_Mom Comments: 93, member since Fri Jun 18, 2004
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:44 PM
I would love for my daughter to do PDD, but she is only almost 11 and just started pointe. Not only that, but there is only one boy in ballet at her school, he's 14 and just started last year. Oh well, maybe someday!
By NinJaMonKieZ Comments: 9, member since Sat Aug 20, 2005
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 09:27 PM
Nice intro! I've been doing PDD a lot recently, and I've learned a ton. Its defenatly a lot of fun! But yeah, trust is really really important. Its a lot harder to partner a girl if she doesnt trust you.
If I wind up partnering someone I've never partnered before, I always tell them that I never drop anyone. And if I do drop someone, they land ontop of me, and I hit the floor.
So far, only dropped someone once (crazy teacher over a summer intensive was trying to have us do this really advanced lift). And they did land on me and I did hit the floor.
Kool, if I had karma (after just learning how it works) I'd give you some.
By gollybethanymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 66, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Tue Aug 23, 2005 08:31 PM
great advice...i've always wondered....!
well, thanks for the great post!

By JazZ_BaLlerina31 Comments: 452, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:54 PM
Very helpful! Sadly i've been dropped..(and my entire cheerleading squad decided not to catch me once but ya know..thats off topic.)
By ScAmP91 Comments: 4, member since Mon Aug 29, 2005
On Sat Sep 24, 2005 03:25 PM
i love ity it is gr8 fun!!
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Thu Sep 29, 2005 02:59 PM
Thanks for the post! I love partnering, aside form the time I was droped, fractured my face and ended up in hospital for a few days barely able to remember my name, haha all is well now, it was an accident!

Jenna
By tutumuchfun Comments: 10, member since Thu Sep 29, 2005
On Thu Sep 29, 2005 03:33 PM
wow! thanks... im just starting ballet classes again. hopefully i'll be partnered someday!
By miauna007 Comments: 112, member since Sat Sep 24, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 01:52 PM
great post! thanks for that ... i think that that will realy help me!!!
From a guy's perspective (karma: 1)
By BrianBlake Comments: 2, member since Sun Oct 02, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 08:07 PM
As a new (and older) dancer, I think pas-de-deux is probably the best kept secret around. I started after my daughter's dance instructor conned me into trying it. After a few classes I was hooked! I have an awesome partner with a lot of experience who is patient and trusting. In addition, we have some older guys who have years and years of experience. Their experience and guidance is invaluable.

Here are some thoughts...Trust your partner. This goes both ways. The guy needs to have confidence. As he gains confidence, the girl will be more comfortable and trusting. Although my basic ballet skills are very elementary, I have been able to become relatively accomplished in pas-de-deux. Passion between partners is also important. This shows in all respects when dancing. It helps when the girl plies before jumping into a lift. This is the signal the guy needs to lift.

Don't worry about getting banged up. It happens. I have had toe shoes in the face, toes stepped on, hands in the face, been kneed, kicked, etc. These come with the territory, and are insignificant. If both are confident and trusting, getting dropped is very unlikely. When both partners are passionate and trusting, if a lift falls apart you will catch each other. Good communication helps as well. If the guy is doing something wrong, explain to him nicely what needs to be fixed. We can't correct a problem if we don't know it exists. Guys- don't grab too hard, but be firm and steady. Find her center of balance, and know it. Pick her up as many times as you need in all different types of positions until you find it and know it.

Find a partner that will produce good chemistry. Passion and chemistry will build confidence, trust, and make for a great pairing. With this, you will be able to do most any lift that is within your physical capability.

Sorry for the long post....If more guys knew how awesome pas-de-deux actually is, ballet studios would be packed with guys and not girls.
Regards,
Brian
By adagio Comments: 22, member since Sun Jan 04, 2004
On Sat Oct 08, 2005 02:21 PM
Some good points there Brian, I came late into Pas de Deux classes after performing professionaly as a circus acrobat and adagio dancer. Have been lucky to learn from some great teachers but always would like to learn more. do you know of any teachers holding classes out there?
By Holly_on_pointe Comments: 51, member since Wed Oct 12, 2005
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 07:02 AM
beautiful! i love it!
By Holly_on_pointe Comments: 51, member since Wed Oct 12, 2005
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 07:03 AM
beautiful! i love it! it is wonderful!

-holly_on_pointe
By thextreme_dancer Comments: 17, member since Fri Oct 21, 2005
On Fri Oct 21, 2005 02:08 AM
sound so mux fun!!!!
By bruserbabe Comments: 124, member since Fri Sep 09, 2005
On Sun Nov 20, 2005 06:27 PM
Wow! I sure did learn a lot about pas de deux! I'm almost en pointe but at our school you generally don't get partnered until you're in the big leagues, like Sugar Plum and such. Well thanks so much and I hope I get to be partnered sometime in my future! :D
By dancinjesswessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 281, member since Thu May 05, 2005
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 05:47 AM
This is a great post! Thanks dsrutis, pas de deux is beautiful i love it, i'd love to have a go when i am more advanced, its a pity my school doesn't do it, we have a lack of boys you see, a total of zero!
Jess
xxxx
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 903, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sat Nov 26, 2005 05:49 PM
This is good stuff for a guy as well. Pas de deux is why I started to do ballet and originally was interested. Girls any advice to give to new guy to ballet and eventually will be doing pas de deux? The partnering with women is what I always wanted. Thanks.
Page:
Page 3 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch