Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Farewell step
By plasticstarfish
On Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:18 AM

I really love watching the farewell step, but I've never actually learned it......could anyone know it write it out? But not too technically or anything, try to keep it simple :)

Also, if there are any other steps people want explained, they can ask them here and hopefully someone will explain.

5 Replies to Farewell step

re: Farewell step (karma: 1)
By highlandlassie
On Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:31 AM
Disclaimer: Ok, as a teacher I'm not really sure I want to do this. If a student attempts to learn a step by watching someone else, it's not a good situation. I want to emphasize here that it is much more difficult to fix a bad habit than to learn a new step. The best way to go about learning this step is from your teacher.

With that aside, I will write the step out. But please, don't practice it until your teacher teaches it! :) (I greatly apologize if this sounds like a lecture. I just want you to dance it your best! :) )

Step (LF to left side) - shuffle (RF) - ball-change (RF to LF in 3rd/3rd rear or 5th/5th rear) - backstep (landing on RF)

(I like to say "step - shuffle - ball change - up")

Repeat 3 more times (travelling to the left)
Repeat two more times turning to the left
Break.

Repeat all with the other side.

The arm on the side of the opposite foot circles around, so it goes straight out and then back in so your hand is close to your forehead. Your hand is in a fist, as though it was holding a flag.

Trivia: This step used to be done with an actual flag!!! Dancers had a pocket on the front of their outfit with a flag that they would take out for this step. Crazy, eh? :)
re: Farewell step
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:51 PM
Hey! I actually knew that about the flag. I used to do that step - you don't see it too much but it was fun!

highlandlassie - I loved your disclaimer... and I agree with it word for word (especially the part about it being more difficult to fix bad habits).

Here's what my brother used to do. He'd watch the other dancers at competitions, memorize the step and pretty much have it to show our teacher by next class. The worst part was (and we have this on video) is he would watch while he was on stage dancing. We have one video where he is about 10, in Intermediate and doing the Jig. The girl next to him starts doing a step he doesn't know so he spends the whole step watching her, almopst tripping over his own feet, but not making any mistakes. Geek! :P
By plasticstarfish
On Sat Sep 11, 2004 03:31 PM
Thanks a whole bunch! That was actually pretty clear, I'm impressed...I had visions of myself trying to decipher all the technical terms for hours.

I'm not worried about getting really technical about the step or anything...I wouldn't do it in competition or anything. It just looked liked fun and I thought I'd like to do it.

Most (like, 80%) of the dances I know (which is a fair amount) I learned from watching other dancers...of course my teacher fixed the mistakes I was making but the initial learning was done through watching and I think it's actually a good way to learn.
By Dienas_dancer
On Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:57 AM
I love this step i think its my favorite step in the hornpipe!!and it is so cool to watch too
farewell step...comments from a new member
By gealicshamrock
On Sat Nov 13, 2004 06:35 PM
'tis but i have seen it done with a flag...at the end...he repeated three steps at the end...but i'm not for sure what the step was...so to make sure i dont look stupid considering i'm a new user and all...i'm not going to say the steps just in case i was wrong...but i have also seen this dance done with a sword...its one of my favorite steps....i learned it many years ago...I learned from watching my grandmother do the step....

ReplySendWatch