Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 11 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 22 23 24 25
re: making costumes?
By discodivachelsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 21, 2008 06:18 PM
Well. . .after reading this post I thought I'd try my luck making my daughter and her friend pairs costumes to dance in at the Phwelli festival :P

I must say I have never done anything on a sewing machine before only run up cushion covers!!! I have now finished the costumes and only have the bands to make. I am so pleased with the finished look :D

I have found the whole exercise very theraputic (sp) and intend to try out more.

Thanks for this post and words of encouragement from other DDN members and my advice to others would be don't be scared of trying costume making out you may surprise yourself - i did :P

Love
Lisa
I will post a picture after the girls have worn them this weekend!
By discodivachelsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu May 01, 2008 03:11 AM
Heya ^^

As promised here is the photo of the pairs costumes I made for Chelsey and Ellise for the Phwelli festival :D

I was very pleased with the finished costumes.

The girls wore them on the saturday afternoon for pairs and came an amazing 2nd :D

From cushion covers to costumes not bad for a first attempt if i do say so myself :P :P :P

The hardest thing is now that I have to sell these costumes as the girls are not normally partners and therefore will not need to wear them again :C

Good luck to anyone trying dress making for the first time

Love
Lisa--x
By abz
On Tue Jun 03, 2008 07:54 AM
im on my third slow costume now & i really enjoy when see them on the dance floor & how much my girls love them cause i include them & allow them to help with the design,they always get changed slighty in the process,as more ideas pop into your head,good luck in your dressmaking
abz mum
By Maya03
On Mon Jun 09, 2008 07:00 AM

+ -

I made this for my daughter Maya for The Worlds at Blackpool for her U6 Slow. Very proud as this is only the second outfit i've made!
Sam
By kimmy6
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 03:24 AM
Hi can anyone help !!!
i am thinking about making a slow costume, we have some ideas and i am just starting to get the bits together, i am finding it hard to find ostrich boas to go around the arms, can anyone help.
Clairex
By Alainaflaire
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 02:33 PM
Hi, have a look on dreaded Ebay they have a few on there.
By DeeDeesPremium member
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 03:21 AM
Headpiece question

What are they made of?
I can tell some are lace motifs and stoned, but those that curl around the face and fit so snugly.? They are covered in fabric but was is underneath?
How do you attach them, only using clips?

thanks

dd
By Maya03
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:10 AM
some people use eye lash glue or you can buy theatre glue which is much better. Usually can buy this at the comps.
Sam
By FreestyleDiva581
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 06:54 PM
could anyone give me a tip on how to make puffy sleeves, I'd be so grateful

I need replys ASAP just pm me or leave me a comment Thanks ..X

Marisa
By xxshansmumxx
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 07:41 AM
Hi after reading your comment im going to have a go at making a costume. Thanks Claire x
By xxshansmumxx
On Mon Jul 07, 2008 07:42 AM
Hi, im going to have a go at making a costume and your comments are a great help.Thanks Claire x
By passion4danceJUE
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 06:22 AM
I make all my childrens costumes and sell quite a few on here. I am in the same position as many,where you just cant afford to be paying out so much money to designers especially because I have 3 children dancing!! I learnt to sew when I was young and uset to make all my own clothes.. I will post some of my creations once I am a full member
Julie x
By FreestyleDiva581
On Mon Jul 14, 2008 07:10 AM
Could anyone give me tips on how to make shorts to be put on a one peice?..X
By Granny1stokes
On Mon Aug 25, 2008 02:45 PM
Hi

Go for it, I started making costumes for my daughter a few years back when she was in starters and in total made around 6 and 2 slow outfits, I have also altered and restyled a few outfits that I have bought for her. I only stopped making them for her since she went into champs as I dont think I could match the designer ones but I still refuse to buy brand new, I prefer to buy second hand and make any changes etc myself. I know I used to be wary when I first started making outfits thinking that they would not be good enough but I was wrong my daughter still looked stunning on the floor and won some big competitions wearing my designs. Just practice with a simple design first and then before you know it you will be on a roll. Good luck

Lesley xx
By MummyZo
On Thu Oct 23, 2008 09:58 AM
Hi i have been in the ocstume making area myself but i found it easier to leave it to the professionals.
I started by getting cut outs. Get some cardboard boxes and cut out an outline of top and bottom start with hotpants and little top half ...

Happy Creating xxx
By kizzymoosmumPremium member
On Sat Oct 25, 2008 06:21 PM
It tends to be a bit of trial and error until you get the right pattern for your daughter. Making your own pattern is better than buying one. Once you have got the right pattern for your daughter adapting them is fairly easy. The hard bit is the initial pattern. remember when sewing in lycra to use a stretch stitch!
By twinguys
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 03:55 PM
Hi,
My sister started making suits using standard leotards which nare relatively cheap. She used them as apattern, ripped them apart & designed them the way she wanted.
She now has enough confidence to make her own patterns

Good luck!
By J_L
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:09 AM
like you i am not a fantastic sewer, i have found a reasonably priced dressmaker who is experienced with dance costumes, its a lot cheaper than buying them made and you can still design what you want so you can be sure that your childs costume has not already been seen! Nikki
By chloe14xx
On Wed Dec 17, 2008 07:15 AM
Hi, I am wanting to make a headpeice. Could someone please tell me where I can buy the stiff stuff (don't know what its called lol) that is used to make the headpeice stiff. Thanks Lisa x
By Essjay
On Sat Dec 27, 2008 02:52 PM
Good luck to everyone who decides to have a go at making costumes. I'm just starting out and am constantly on the look out for bits and bobs that might be useful. Keep an eye out as it's surprising where you find things useful for decoration or accessories.
SJ
By lapatrice
On Tue Jan 13, 2009 01:31 PM
I have a costume business and for the last couple of years I have been considering selling the costume patterns. I have well over 1500 designs. If I did, you you find this helpful?
By Maya03
On Tue Jan 20, 2009 04:58 AM
This is my daughter Maya in her new slow costume i have just made her.
Sam
By mel1ssa04
On Tue Jan 20, 2009 08:02 AM
hello me mam made my daughter her first 1 she went out and bought a leotard pattern from there she just altard it and added different things to it,she added a tutu and a long sleeve which she then stoned.hope this will help.And good luck :)
By sadieb
On Wed Jan 28, 2009 05:56 AM
Hiya,
I wanted to ask you; How do you tell if something is the lycra that I need and how do I make the shapes and also what needles to use.

Would be really grrtaeful for a reply,

Thanks

Sadie B
By lettydesign
On Wed Jan 28, 2009 06:31 AM
Me too!!
My girl has just started starters,and the prices are slowly increasing,i am going to read this wbsite with a magnifiying glass,its a real help!!
Page:
Page 11 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch