Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 19 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
re: making costumes?
By dancingmumof2
On Fri Mar 18, 2011 04:19 AM
Hi Making my both daughters their first slow costume and getting a little bogged down with all the different designs!! Tell me is it ok to have a navy costume with bright pink ruffles and a white diamond lace motif or is this to many colours, should I add white fur instead of ruffles???
By dancingmumof2
On Fri Mar 18, 2011 04:51 AM
Also wondering what is the best way to make 3d shapes ie balls, hearts etc?? I have bought some polystyrene balls but not sure how to fix material to cover them or how to attach to costume!! Help please!!!
By dancingmumof2
On Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:26 AM
one more question (sorry) what would be the best material to use to make shapes etc?? Please
By nuttinikki
On Fri Mar 18, 2011 08:42 AM
I cant give you colour advice as everyone has different opinions ive seen bright pink and navy together but theyre not 2 colours id choose to go with each other but i dont think you can tell what the finished result will be until you either put the colours next to each other or maybe if your childs good with the paint application on pc to draw something similar and colour in?

I like navy and silver together but thats just my own personal choice as for the balls there are different ways of covering these you can glue material onto them or cover with glue then pour glitter over them(put on cocktail sticks as it makes it easier to spin whilst covering) then push sticks into shoe box to keep upright while drying you can use gloss paint ive also used acrylic spray paint from my local boyes store to colour them then glued stones on to sparkle, the hearts ovals etc can be bought at hobbycraft and places like that as for attatching them to suits I just use a glue gun(purchased from wilkinsons at £6 and glue sticks £1.50 approx per pack) its trial and error with colours accessories etc if you need anymore help just drop me a pm on ere.

Hope this helps

Nikki xxx
By Becci_Dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 24, 2011 03:31 PM
i was gonna do a cutout on a leotard, its a pre made one, im just doing it up.

its got a seam running straight down the middle though, so if i cut the circle, will it unravel? and also could i use Bias Binding on it to stop it coming undone?

one last question - how do i stop it sort of gathering up, like when i sew it, i dont want it to ruche up in the circle

By kittykat06
On Tue Mar 29, 2011 04:31 PM
good luck with making the costumes i think its great you are going to do it
By megans_mum
On Mon Apr 04, 2011 02:38 PM
Just thought I would share my latest creations with everyone.

Would never have managed without all the help & advice on here :)

Had never even used a sewing machine 18 months ago. so if I can do it anyone can lol

Amanda xx
By Lou_n_KittenPremium member
On Mon Apr 04, 2011 02:48 PM
Hiya all

Im wanting to cover some ridgalene boning (sp) in lycra
Is there a particular needle or method to doing this?
I've sewn such as the bra cups when they used to cover them in fabric to make costumes (talking a while back when in fashion lol!) But they where a nightmare for breakin needles and i'm worried this will be the same! (might have to get my safety specs out again)
Any advice, Tips etc would be greatly appreciated

Karren x
By Angels_mummy
On Mon Apr 04, 2011 03:00 PM
Hi Karren, i just use a thick (size 90) stretch needle when sewing rigilene. Not had any problems yet. Good luck, Jane. x
By jules17
On Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:35 AM
sophistikat wrote:

hi,
if you are worried about getting the shape right, try making a full size template using an old sheet or something. that way you can mess about a bit 1st and it wont matter.
you could always buy a basic plain all-in-one or a two piece and jazz that up with chiffon or applicae (sp?) that you can buy.
hope this helps.
sharon

can you actually buy patterns, or is it better just to use an old leotard as a template
By dancingmumof2
On Fri Apr 08, 2011 07:19 AM
Ok Ladys I am in desperate need of your help!!! (Please ..) I am trying desperatly to make the thin bands for a head piece (ones with elastic covered in material 1cm wide or so) Ive alway seen them with a zig zag stitch but I can not get any machine to sew a large Zig Zag on the material I am using, even my local sewing shop could not get a decent zig zag (Even on the new sewing machine they tried to convince me i needed!) Any advice on how to acheive the zig zag or how else I could make these bands without it looking to 'Stitched' would be very much appreciated Please ...
By Angels_mummy
On Sat Apr 09, 2011 05:24 AM
Dancingmumof2..... Is it the bands with the boning/rigilene your trying to make? Its best to use a triple stitch as the stitches are larger than the normal zigzag stitch. Also you should be using a stretch needle, as a normal needle tends to make the zigzag miss a stitch every so often. And if it is the rigilene/boning you're sewing with its best to use a larger needle (i use size 90) to help get through the boning. All of those put together should (fingers crossed) work.
Good luck with it.
Jane. x
By dancingmumof2
On Sat Apr 09, 2011 08:57 AM
Hi Jane not the ridgelene type just the standard elastic covered bands. Beleive it or not my hubby came up with a different way so after staying up until 2am costumes are now finished!! Will post some pics soon, my girls have their comp next sunday in which they will dance slow for the first time. Thanks for your advice I think its just the material as I tried everything even a blue tip!!
Thanks to all for advice, fab place for help!!
By Angels_mummy
On Sat Apr 09, 2011 09:43 AM
Glad you got it sorted eventually, cant wait to see the pics. x
By dancingmumof2
On Mon Apr 18, 2011 07:09 AM
Hi mums! Does anybody know what the mesh type stiff ribbon is called I have seen on costumes and head pieces. Somebody said its called crin but I can only find crin tubing?? Im looking for the flat ribbon type. All help appreciated
By princess_jodiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 PM
Edited by princess_jodie (110666) on 2011-04-18 12:24:57 spelling
Hi, its called soft boning or otherwise known as crinoline

DSI do it, in different widths and many colours

Janet x

By dancingmumof2
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 01:58 AM
Thought I would show you all the end result! Im so pleased as to are my both girls!! Thank you all so much for all the help and advice. Really glad I gave it ago. No stopping me now!!
By Angels_mummy
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 02:05 AM
Wow what a great job you've done, well done! x
By Samdancer1
On Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:47 AM
My mum's just started to make me a costume... does anybody have any good websites for cheeper fabrics and Im also looking for lace motifs?

Thanks x
By dancingmumof2
On Wed Apr 20, 2011 07:47 AM
Hi nevtex or crystal clover for motifs. 247 dance wear also have motifs. Good luck
By caitie98
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 09:51 AM
Hi all Been making my daughters costumes for a while now and made some for other dancers in her school and really enjoying it very much. This sticky is great as I scroll through it when I hit a sticky patch im not sure how to get round. Please can anyone help Im doing a costume with holes in the tummy but they are like splits rather than circles so when I try to edge it and they stick out and look rather daft anybody got any advice please
thanks Jennie x
By julesdesign
On Fri May 06, 2011 06:16 AM
Hi Jane,I see you are going to have a go at making your own dance costumes,I am a new designer and manufacturer for dance costumes,I will be launching my online shop in the near future
my motto is quality at affordable prices and my business name is
Jules Design Dancewear uk,never under estimate youself when trying something new Iam sure you will make a great costume for your little one,also every flat machine has a stretch stitch the sign on your machine is 3 rows of stitching together,.
Good Luck Jane,and if you need any advice please dont hesitate to ask.
julie
By julesdesign
On Fri May 06, 2011 06:25 AM
Hi samdancer,if you go onto ebay there is a seller called Tia Knight she has fabulous fabric at affordable price also she delivers within 2 days,I get all my fabric from her.
Im julie by the way and I am a new designer and manufactuer for dancewear,I will be launching my online shop in the near future
its called Jules Design Dancewear uk, my motto is quality costumes at affordable prices keep a lookout for me and good luck with you costumes if you need to know anything else please
dont hesitate to ask
Julie
By julesdesign
On Fri May 06, 2011 06:42 AM
Hi Amanda,You have a natural born talent if you have made these costumes to this standard and have only been sewing for 18 mnth
what will you be like in 5yrs time,I am a new designer and manufacturer of dancewear and will be launching my online shop in near future Jules Design Dancewear uk keep a lookout for me
and keep up the good work,if you need any advice at all please dont hesitate to ask me.
Julie xx
By Lou_n_KittenPremium member
On Fri May 06, 2011 07:07 AM
Edited by Lou_n_Kitten (200264) on 2011-05-06 07:12:22
Hi caitie98 ^^^

for Holes in outfits trimmed my tip is to edge with material that is smaller in circumfrance than the hole in the outfit (if you get what i mean) that way when its finished it will sit flat to the body rather than puckering up

Pm me if you need any more help or don't understand what i mean

Karren xx
Page:
Page 19 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch