Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 2 of 251 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22 23 24 25
re: making costumes?
By dancescapedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3006, member since Fri Mar 05, 2004
On Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:52 AM
Hiya Mums,

This isnt my mum this is Heidi at the mo.. LOL!

Um Louise had posted a reply to one of these messages on the advice board... it was how do you make a wraparound tie up for your leg or arm?

And just incase no one knew here is her reply:

hiya, i have had quite a few PM'S about these, there are different ways of doing these but this is the easiest way and not much sewing if any;

cut a long strip of lycra about 1-2 inches wide (i usually cut 1 inch) then pull it length ways and the lycra will tube as the edges of lycra curl when pulled,you can then take the middle of the strip and wrap around your toe/finger and criss cross it all the way up your leg/arm and tie at the top( no sewing at all)!!!! or make a loop at one end stitch it so you can put your toe or finger through it and wrap it around your leg/arm until you get to the top or wherever you want it to stop then just tie it, hope this helps,i'm not very good at explaining things.LOL!!!

louise x P.S i call them WYNDERS, maybe they are called something else LOL!!!

never knew it was so easy :) LOL!

I hope Louise doesnt mind LOL!

Love Heidi xxxx ;)
By pennyless Comments: 113, member since Sat Oct 16, 2004
On Thu Oct 21, 2004 08:29 AM
I've been searching for ages to find a decent pattern for trousers (boys), complete with zip fasteners (flys). Don't seem able to find anything stylish, anyone any hints apart from buying a pair of trousers in the style he likes and making a pattern out of them. Easy in theory but if you knew me you'd understand my reluctance to ruin a perfectly good pair of 'pants'
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Thu Oct 21, 2004 09:09 AM
Have you tried the haberdashery dept in the large stores ie Debenhams Jessops etc

Love mama DD's
On Thu Oct 21, 2004 09:22 AM
Yeh, Mama dd, looked more or less everywhere, even tried the internet but without much success. I've always had someone make my son's cozzys in the past but it's getting a bit much when sometimes he needs an outfit for one comp etc...... I've decided to have a go myself. Tops are okay but pants are a nightmare.

:(
re: making costumes? (karma: 2)
By dance_mum_louise Comments: 354, member since Tue Apr 13, 2004
On Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:40 AM
Edited by dance_mum_louise (90332) on 2004-10-21 10:37:44 oops!
hiya , there is no need to cut up a pair of trousers to copy them just turn them inside out fold both legs together to give you one leg, double your fabric then place the trousers leg onto it and draw around the shape of the trouser upto just before the waistband and cut the shape out, will have to do this twice to get two legs,put right sides of fabric together and stitch front and bum bit then sew up the legs (overlock stitch)then cut a long strip to go right round top of trousers for your waistband cut it double the width you want the waistband to be as it will be halved when you stitch it on, just double the waistband and overlock all the way round the top of trousers.

if putting a zip in dont stitch right up when sewing up the front or back wherever zip is going, then double back at both sides where you have left room for zip to go in sew these bits back and sew in your zip,there you go easy LOL!!! hope this helps i'm not great at explaining things, you can copy the trousers without cutting them up, you will of course have to get all the correct measurements.

good luck and happy sewing
louise x
On Mon Oct 25, 2004 06:35 AM
Thanks for the tips Louise. You make it sound simple ?????

Overlocker! Overlocker ! Gosh I don't think my 50 year old little Singer does a decent zig-zag never mind overlock. Still its okay for running up curtains (lol) :) :)
By dancescapedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3006, member since Fri Mar 05, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 07:30 AM
Hiya,

How do you add layers of extra chiffon?

Do you sew under neath the previous layer or on top?
LOL
By daftdancemum Comments: 17, member since Tue Oct 26, 2004
On Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:48 AM
Hiya Jane,

Try using your girls clothes as pattern to start out, thats what i did.

Overlocker is a must & NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY, it all comes in useful eventually!!!
By studio33Premium member Comments: 213, member since Sun Oct 10, 2004
On Wed Oct 27, 2004 03:03 PM
The easiest way is to stitch down one edge with lycra under elastic then wrap round,till elastic covered,then stitch while strtching elastic and lycrs down middle,then trim excess off.Hope that helps you.dancers mum.
On Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:27 AM
Hiya,

Adding Chiffon:

How do you add it?

Do you sew underneath the previous layer or on top? and wear abouts? as chiffon can be quite thin...

Thankyou

Jan
re: making costumes? (karma: 2)
By Cheeky2 Comments: 43, member since Tue Oct 07, 2003
On Thu Nov 04, 2004 05:46 PM
Hi. I am a Pro Costum Maker. Would like to help free of charge.
01303 813505
By groovymum Comments: 751, member since Sat Jul 31, 2004
On Mon Nov 22, 2004 04:39 PM
Hi
I am going to have a go at making some simple (really simple) trio suits for my twins and their using a friends old sewing machine. The machine has a zig zag stitch but could anyone tell me what difference a bullet point needle makes when using lycra? And one more thing please, how much do i want to stretch my lycra when sewing?
I have had a practice on some scraps of lycra and the tension seems fine but any information or tips would help.
And can i just say thanks to everyone who has already given very usefull info already, (i cant believe some of the hints and tips)

Amanda x
By Chrisp Comments: 111, member since Thu Dec 02, 2004
On Thu Dec 02, 2004 02:55 AM
Hi ,

It's so good to hear that other people have the same worries as I do!! I have two daughters that dance and I would really love to have a go at making their costumes. I have a singer machine but would really like to buy an overlocker - How much do i need to spend and can anyone recommend a specific model?

Thanks in advance!
C.x.
By sewlows Comments: 108, member since Fri Dec 24, 2004
On Sun Jan 02, 2005 06:46 AM
hi
i would like some advise on an overlocker havnt a clue, was thinking of buying one
help?
janet
By minty1970 Comments: 124, member since Mon Oct 20, 2003
On Sun Jan 09, 2005 04:12 PM
HI, The difference with a bullet point needle ( some people call them ball or blue point) and ordinary needle is a bullet point has a rounded point and will go between the fiber weave of the fabric and an ordinary needle will break the fibers to get through and will leave holes in the fabric.
Hope you understand this.
Minty
making costumes
By tashsides Comments: 34, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Wed Jan 12, 2005 02:44 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-01-20 07:26:12 Please do not type in all capital letters.
HI
HOW DID THE COSTUME MAKING GO, IVE MADE 2 BEGINNERS COSTUMES BUT AM NOW STARTING TO MAKE A STARTERS COSTUMES AS SHE WILL HOPEFULLY MOVE UP QUITE SOON, HAVE YOU GOT ANY TIPS.
OLWEN SIDES
By star_dancer_xx Comments: 237, member since Thu Nov 11, 2004
On Tue Jan 18, 2005 09:52 AM
im sure u will be fine
good luck x x
By thesinger Comments: 38, member since Sat Jan 15, 2005
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 09:40 AM
First of all buy yourself an overlocker, a must when working with stretchy fabrics. You can buy lycra/spandex from nevtex(based in Nottingham)or streamers, both have their own websites. Also you will find the top designers only use swazkoski diamante which you can purchase in bulk from chrisanne(famous for ballroom dresses).
By thesinger Comments: 38, member since Sat Jan 15, 2005
On Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:27 PM
The websites you want to visit to find bueatiful dance fabrics are chrisanne.co.uk, streamers.co.uk,and nevtex.co.uk. If you find anymore websites that sell lycra/spandex please let me know.
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Fri Jan 21, 2005 09:48 AM
Hi nevtex.co.uk also supply swarovski and all austrian stones at very good prices and do a next day mail order service

Hope this helps

Love mama DD's xsx
making costumes
By cazza3 Comments: 2626, member since Fri Sep 17, 2004
On Fri Jan 28, 2005 06:56 AM
this is a great post - the amount of us mums who are making costumes amazes me, maybe the big designers should start getting worried !!! :)
Ive only made a few basic things for my daughter but i now know where to look if i need any info on the harder stuff.

Lots of love
Caroline
xxx :)
making cozzies
By Minime1 Comments: 4, member since Sat Jan 29, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 07:20 AM
another good tip, as i and probably many mums don't know much more than the daughter involved, is get your daughter to help.
I was amazed just how confident and unafraid they are of making a mistake amd how many sensible ideas they have....the only thing they lack is alittle patience....hopefully within a couple of years her experise will outweigh mine and she will make her own.....problem over.
But then again i've always been an optimist!
SEWING CHIFFON EDGING
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 01:22 PM
HI CHIFFON IS REALLY HARD TO SEW AS IT IS SO "SLIPPY" AND TENDS TO FRAY QUICKLY AND ALSO CLICKS EASILY. I ALWAYS USE A FRESH SHARP NEEDLE AND ROLL THE EDGES( YOU NEED AN OVERLOCKER) ON ALL MY BALLROOM AND LATIN DRESSES AND FLOATY BITS ON DISCO COSSIES. IT TAKES A BIT OF PRACTICE BUT EDGES THEM LOVELY.
EDGING CHIFFON
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 02:36 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-01-30 11:01:51 Please do not post in all capital letters. All of your posts will be removed.
IT IS REALLY HARD TO EDGE CHIFFON AS IT IS SO SLIPPY AND CLICKS EASILY. I ROLL MY HEM WITH AN OVERLOCKER AND FIND THIS GIVES A REALLY NICE EDGE FOR ALL FLOATY BITS BUT ALSO FOR MY BALLROOM AND LATIN DRESSES THAT I MAKE. I HAVE BEEN MAKING OUTFITS NOW FOR MY DAUGHTERS DANCE SCHOOL FOR 7 YEARS AND IT REALLY IS PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. I NOW HAVE MY OWN WEBSITE AND SEW FOR A LOT OF OTHER SCHOOLS ASWELL SO BEWARE EVERYONE YOU MIGHT END UP STUCK TO THE SEWING MACHINE FOR ALL YOUR CHILDRENS' FRIENDS ASWELL! GOOD LUCK WITH THE OUTFITS.
By LeanneT Comments: 90, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:46 AM
Thats great advice about the chiffon thanks was wondering how to get round that hassle...Cheers Leanne's mum
Page:
Page 2 of 251 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch