would love to start doin that myself getin very expensive
re: making costumes?
By jen20 Comments: 32, member since Wed Jan 11, 2012
On Thu Jan 26, 2012 02:16 PM
would love to start doin that myself getin very expensive
By pink67 Comments: 21, member since Tue Jan 24, 2012
On Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:04 AM
i would love to start making my daughters costumes , thanks for the good advice on here xx
By TCtar Comments: 106, member since Sat Jun 11, 2011
On Sun Feb 05, 2012 01:32 PM
Hi, not sure whether this has been asked before but does anyone know how to make the donut leg and arm bands please? Am buying a basic costume and planning on making leg, arm and headpieces to go with it xx
By albabe Comments: 53, member since Sat Apr 23, 2011
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 07:41 AM
Hi, I have read through a lot of the comments and the tips are great . Id love to make my daughter a new head piece I'm not sure if this has been asked before but would like to know how to make a freestyle disco visor to go with my daughters costume that she already has. The part I m unsure of is what is used underneath the material to stiffen the loop that goes over the head? Any help with this would be great. Thanks Albabe xx
By Niamh_Lxx Comments: 31, member since Fri Feb 24, 2012
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 08:05 AM
just do something basic and ten you will proress xxx
By showbizmum Comments: 47, member since Wed Sep 01, 2010
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 09:27 AM
Albabe-it is 'soft boning ' that is used underneath the fabric. It is available at most haberdashery shops. I think it is called Riglatine ! Hope this helps.
By Angels_mummy Comments: 1343, member since Mon Feb 22, 2010
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 AM
Its boning like whats used in corsets, also called Rigilene. You can get it from Boyes, Hobbycraft and also ebay.
Hope this helps, thanks jane. x
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:38 AM
Sorry - just realised I put soft boning & it isn't it is just boning & Its called rigalene(iPad spellcheck).
So much for me trying to help & giving wrong information ! Lol.
Good luck with making the visor. X
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 01:15 PM
Hi Jane, I use my mobile to access the internet and I have the same problem at times with predictive text LOL :) Thank you so much for all your help I will have a look on eBay now. I'm looking forward to giving it a go but I think I will definitely need all the luck I can get LOL :) thanks again Al xx
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 02:05 PM
Hi showbizmum thanks for your help too I'm new to this site and have mixed my messages to you and Jane I also have predictive text problems with my phone lol thanks for all your help too :) I have now purchased what I need to try making the visor :) hopefully will be back on here letting yous know how easy or hard I found making it :) thanks again. Al xx
On Mon Feb 27, 2012 01:22 PM
Good luck albabe making the visor. I bought myself a polystyrene head off eBay to use when making visors or any sort of headpieces ( also the polystyrene head doesnt scream when you 'accidently' stick pins in them - unlike children).
If you get stuck or are not sure on anything ,please ask & I'll see if I can help.
Kim
By lynzfaith Comments: 10, member since Thu Feb 23, 2012
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 04:28 AM
I hope you have had success in making your costumes. i have just made my first one for my daughter. she is just starting freestyle so have got time to improve before she starts competitions. I used a pair of my daughters leggings to make a pattern for bottoms and a vest for the top. the bottoms went fine but the top didnt so i ended up making my own pattern for the top by eye with straps at the back.this was my first ever time using a sewing machine and it actually turned out ok. my next task is a begginner 2 piece for wen she starts comps.

lynz x
By caitie98 Comments: 151, member since Tue Sep 25, 2007
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 AM
Hi all
making my daughters new slow and solo and she was a lace cap. Bought the lace but just need any ideas how to shape it around her head
thanks guys
Jenniexx
By Angels_mummy Comments: 1343, member since Mon Feb 22, 2010
On Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:22 AM
Hi everyone, i read this post about 2 years ago and thought hmmm maybe i could give it a go. So booked myself on a basic sewing course. And after afew months managed to make my daughters first starter costume. 2 years on, i am making costumes for the whole dance school and have decided to design my own label which i'm in the process of having printed. I am so excited, my designer name is 'Miss Beau Jangels'. (check it out on facebook)
So, for all you mums out there that think they'd never be able to do anything like make a costume i'd say just go for it, its the best thing i ever did.
Love from Jane. x
On Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 AM
Hi Angels-mummy,

Wow that's fantastic, hope your new venture is a success - well done you!

Kim. X
By Emz_mum Comments: 27, member since Wed Mar 28, 2012
On Wed Mar 28, 2012 03:16 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I could buy patterns for dance costumes as I'd like to have a go at making one for my daughter. Any other tips would be appreciated!

Carla
By Miss_BeauJangels Comments: 142, member since Wed Mar 21, 2012
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 04:04 AM
Hi Carla, you cant buy actual dance patterns, i tried to find these when i first started out. You have to use leotard or swimsuit patterns and adapt them to what you want. I find the Jalie patterns quite easy to understand and use. Although you have to make them a couple of sizes bigger for some reason.
Hope this helps, thanks Jane. X
By sewingismyhobby Comments: 72, member since Sun Jun 01, 2008
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 06:10 AM
I have been making dance costumes for about 10 years now. I'm in Australia & the KWIK SEW patterns are the easiest to use - I have found the Jalie ones have lots of extra pieces in them that are not necessary (although they are lovely patterns). I purchase my fabric from the USA as it is so much cheaper than here in Aust. For head pieces use Buckram (I think that is how it is spelled) and then cover it with fabric. The best flesh fabric I have found is from Australia from Metro Fabrics. Anyone starting out you do not need to purchase an overlocker or surger as you can do everything on a sewing machine (with the exception of cutting the edges of course!)If anyone has any other questions I'm happy to advise.
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 08:11 AM
Thanks ladies, so if I just use a pattern for a leotard I should be ok as a starting place? I saw some for skating costumes which I thought I could adapt. I'm hoping this works out as the costumes are sooo expensive!
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 08:25 AM
you need a basic leotard pattern & then make all the adjustments to it once you have traced it. Instructions are fairly easy to follow if you get an easy pattern. Don't get Butterick or Simplicity or any of the ones that are using tissue paper as they are so hard to trace over. I use violene (or tracing paper) to make the pattern size required. Don't cut the original one as you will need it for other sizes as your child grows.
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 01:20 PM
Thank you, I'll order a pattern and some tracing paper tonight then and see how it goes! Ahhh, wish me luck, I'm gonna need it! lol. What about things like gloves etc do you use a pattern for these? Or skirts, I was hoping to do a rock n roll skirt as well. Thank you for your help, it is appreciated!

Carla
By JaneMckenzie Comments: 22, member since Wed Mar 28, 2012
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 05:10 PM
try using a leotard or a catsuit and decorating it with rinestones. once you start you just get better with ideas and learn more. good luck. hope this helps
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 05:17 PM
Thats my next question, which rhinestones are best to use, does it have to be swarovski? Also, I am confused about sizes, and how many are in a pack and what is a reasonable price to pay for how many? I'm so new to all of this :/ Is it best to use a hot fix gun or just glue?

I'm thinking of trying rock n roll skirts first, as they look simple to make then the slow suit. She's only just started so still in beginners, so hopefully as she gets better, so will I!
On Thu Mar 29, 2012 05:47 PM
I can't help you with the decorating as in Australia we don't do the same sort of additions to our costumes. We use glitter, sequins & beads mostly here & some use rhinestones. I think if you are in the UK you have the best choice of gemstones & prices to match. Good luck anyway.
Page:
Page 22 of 251 2 3 4 5 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch