re: making costumes?
By julesdesign Comments: 16, member since Thu May 05, 2011
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 06:17 AM
Edited by julesdesign (235626) on 2012-06-07 06:20:02
Thank you very much Claire-Lianne xxxx
By wendyg Comments: 27, member since Wed Jun 06, 2012
On Wed Jun 13, 2012 04:15 PM
All this advise is great stuff, I'm trying to pursuade Grandma into costume making. Hopefully these commens will help save on the cost!!
By dani15member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1448, member since Fri Jun 17, 2005
On Tue Jun 19, 2012 01:59 PM
To get the edging around the costume I was told to use a strip of the fabric and sew it around the edges but it looks nothing like I want it to, seems to stick out and isn't even all the way around. Is there any other way to do it, as it doesn't look good around the legs/bum of a leotard
By caitie98 Comments: 151, member since Tue Sep 25, 2007
On Sat Jun 23, 2012 03:50 PM
Hi stretch your edging full stretch when you sew it i find that works and stops it from sticking out hope that helps xx

Comment #9973497 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-07-09 07:21:47 Advertising is not free on DDN, please visit http://www.dance.net/ads/ if you would like to advertise here.

By eleanoross Comments: 2, member since Tue Jul 10, 2012
On Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 PM
Hi there, I'm brand new to this so only hope Im posting this is the right place (I sound like a confused old lady but I'm actually 19)
I've been making gymnastics leotards for a little while now but have just started my first freestyle outfit. I know nothing about the sport and the only guidelines I'm using for making the outfit is images off the Internet. I've started making it but it boggles my mind as I don't know what and how to do things, for instance how are the cut out holes fixed and the cut of the bottom? I've seen that most pictures only have one arm so I thought that would be something to start with, I've cut out a hole and rounded it with elastic but by the looks of things I needn't have done that....? As you can tell by my rambling I'm confused and need help so any tips or hints would be much apreciated.
Thank you.
Eleanor x
By xxtaraxx Comments: 21, member since Tue Jul 03, 2012
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 05:19 PM
I cheated with my daughters the first one I brought a base and added bits the 2nd one I brought a starter costume and stoned and added more bits and pieces and she was over the moon with them :)
By beach_disco Comments: 55, member since Fri Oct 25, 2002
On Thu Aug 09, 2012 09:54 AM
Hi not a parent but am learning to make costumes!

How are people managing to get the full tutu effect for headpieces, hips and bums? IE whats the technique to correctly bunch then attach the tulle?

Any help very much appreciated as we have some suits within the school to revamp and save on costs :)

xxx
By KatieandTomMum Comments: 10, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 AM
We want to make a new intermediate pairs costume for our daughters, one who is a tiny age 11 and the other who is aged 12 but is probably a size 8-10. Because of the size difference we are thinking about customising some black cut out leotards. We have been struggling to find any anywhere, can anyone please help where I can buy them. Have spent hours on ebay!! Thanks very much.
By nelly_2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1260, member since Sat Feb 21, 2004
On Sat Aug 18, 2012 04:20 PM
try dance direct they have some fab ones that cud be customised x
By julesdesign Comments: 16, member since Thu May 05, 2011
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 04:19 PM
Hi Elonoress,what exactly are you not sure of?if you are going to start to make freestyle costumes the best thing to do is research everything about it from ADFP rules and regulations to what you can and cannot wear in different catagories if you dont do this you will find it extreamly hard to enter the freestyle world,anything you want to know about making them feel free message me I am a designer of freestyle costumes and studied everything about freestyle for over a year before I started.
hope this helps.
Jules
By eleanoross Comments: 2, member since Tue Jul 10, 2012
On Wed Sep 12, 2012 02:04 PM
Hi julesdesign
Thank you for responding, I'll crack on with reading up about it all and hopefully that will help because all i would have gone by is photos of made costumes, not the most technically correct. This site is a massive help :)
EleanoRoss.
By freestylemam Comments: 1, member since Tue Oct 02, 2012
On Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 PM
Hi everyone I'm new

I'd really like to start making costumes for the kids at my daughters class. But I'm struggling with what seems to be easy things. When I make bands (elastic covered in Lycra) how do you guys get them so neat and tight? I'm gluing the Lycra around the elastic at the min the sewing them when dry to finish off but it's a hassle! If I just fold the Lycra around when I stick it in the machine it falls apart and I can't sew them straight.

Also do you definitely need an overlocker if your going to make the base of a suit? I don't have one and can't really afford either :(

Thanks guys x
By bekd100 Comments: 28, member since Thu May 25, 2006
On Tue Oct 09, 2012 06:34 PM
Hiya , i have been able to find good supplies of the basics to make an outfit such as fringing and tutu netting motifs etc but i dont know what the individual fringe strands that go on trousers are called , really hard to describe but they are like fringing but are indivisual and normaly 8 inch's long , If any one knows there official name and where you can get them from it would be much appreciated , thankyou
By louie1 Comments: 19, member since Thu Oct 18, 2012
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 09:19 PM
I have just made my daughter a slow suit, it is the first one I have done and found it quite easy, I just used a gold star practice wear suit and covered it in lace and tutu and stoned it, it looks great, I am really pleased with it
By xxstarlettxx Comments: 62, member since Sat Aug 25, 2012
On Sat Nov 17, 2012 04:21 PM
id never thought of making my own costume but after reading some of the fab advice on here i think im going to have a go!
By Jules15 Comments: 173, member since Tue Aug 04, 2009
On Sat Nov 17, 2012 04:27 PM
I've finally plucked up the courage and made a slow costume for my daughter. It was very much trial and error and the finished result is not exactly as I imagined but fairly close.

Sophie loves wearing it (thankfully) and I am so proud to see her on the dance floor in something that I made.

Good luck to anyone else who is currently in the process of making a costume.

Julie xx
By angemw Comments: 25, member since Tue Nov 20, 2012
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 07:38 PM
I love the advise on here. I've made a few costumes for my daughter now. When she started comping I just couldn't justify the cost of having a costume made for her. My advise is to keep learning. Every costume I make I learn new skills from, and I'm improving my techniques. I really enjoy looking at new ideas for costumes and I hunt through ebay for exciting fabrics and trimmings. Good luck to everyone else making their daughters costumes.
By angemw Comments: 25, member since Tue Nov 20, 2012
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 08:29 PM
Hi, does anyone know where I can get flo green tassels. Also how do you make the covered half spheres you see on starter costumes
By ellesmam Comments: 156, member since Fri Sep 16, 2011
On Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 AM
My daughter started freestyle when she was 9,my mother in law made her costumes,gradually getting better and better.She took a year out of freestyle to concentrate on her contemporary and ballet but returned in January,I haven't asked her grandma to make any costumes because of the stress and worry,although its a lot more expensive to buy costumes .
By Bennywwad Comments: 1, member since Fri Jun 21, 2013
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 04:33 AM
Hi jane what ive doneis ordered a basic gymnastics leotard or catsuit from ebay then found other things i can add on from ebay usually only comes up to about £50

Hope this helped :)
By carolineacey1 Comments: 21, member since Tue Nov 06, 2012
On Mon Jul 08, 2013 03:34 AM
I've made a few for my daughter, I always start with a leotard and add to that. Lots of netting, and stones. and the new in thing ribbon which can hide some bad sewing.
By Dancersmam4 Comments: 25, member since Sun Jan 22, 2012
On Mon Aug 12, 2013 03:30 PM
So _ I have taken some basic ( very basic!!) sewing lessons with my wee girl.
I am going to try making a costume - 2 questions !! 1. does anyone have a pattern they'd recommend ( my girls are 12 and 14) I would ideally like one with a zip up back although it may be slightly ambitious!!
and 2. lycra - 2 or 4 way stretch?

many thanks
By lj100 Comments: 366, member since Mon Sep 26, 2011
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 02:28 AM
4 way stretch everytime
By Dancersmam4 Comments: 25, member since Sun Jan 22, 2012
On Tue Aug 13, 2013 09:51 AM
Thanks for that _ was pretty sure 4 way stretch was the answer!!
Anyone recommend a pattern?
thanks folks
Page:
Page 24 of 251 2 3 4 5 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch