Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 3 of 251 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 21 22 23 24 25
re chiffon
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:56 AM
Thats ok. I'm just sorry it was removed so that other people cant benefit from it! All because someone reported me writing in capitals when I wasnt aware it was a problem!
re: making costumes?
By xxxFREYAxxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 822, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 01:38 PM
Edited by sparklegirl (87216) on 2005-01-31 13:29:27
Hi,
Will you repost your reply -- I need all the help I can get!!
It's a pity most of us missed it
Sparklegirl's Mum
( Don't understand the capitals thing myself, told it's "net etiquette" apparently)
making costumes
By tashsides Comments: 34, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 02:26 PM
Hi

I am currently making my daughter a starters costume, she wants a lace up back ive tried making a lace out of lycra but its not turned out very good and ideas what else I can use and any good suppliers that sell on the net as there isnt anywhere very local to us
Tasha mum
Olwen
making cozzies
By princess_jodiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 827, member since Mon Oct 25, 2004
On Thu Feb 03, 2005 08:29 AM
Hi Olwen

If you want to make the back lace-up piece out of lycra it is quite easy, and even better, needs no sewing.
All you have to do is to cut a strip of lycra slightly shorter than you need and about 1cm wide, hold onto one end and just pull it hard !!

it will curl into a tube, this is how people make the tassels for cozzies. You have to cut the lycra the right way. You can find out which way by cutting a small strip across the fabric and pulling it and if it doesn't curl very well try the other direction.

Hope this makes sense.

Best wishes from Jodie's mum Janet
By ceivagh Comments: 20, member since Tue May 18, 2004
On Tue Feb 15, 2005 01:59 PM
You are so brave I have never progressed past tack stiching things and always wish for the sewing fairy to pay me a visit. LOL x
bumblemum
By bumble Comments: 113, member since Fri Aug 08, 2003
On Mon Feb 28, 2005 02:21 PM
hi i make all my daughters costumes its best to go to ur local haberdashers for your basic pattern for a catsuit and then take it from there you will have a production line going in no time and if you are going to stone the costumes try to get a bottle of intack glue the best stuff lv bumblemum
By lols_disco Comments: 193, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Fri Mar 04, 2005 03:13 AM
heya

i think you should buy and all in one or a two piece and jazz it up with sequins or flowers and you can use fabric paint to draw flowers if you`ve got a steady hand because thats what all the champs have now!
For slow buy a two piece bikini and make a skirt and join it onto the bikin bottoms and on the top you can just jazz it up!
for the skirt you could use lycra or shiforn or any material and then you can make it how short or lon g you want it!

i hope ove help but ive helped more with the slow because thats what i started doing and now i own my own shope!

love lolsx x x x
By DanceBabe1234Mum Comments: 37, member since Sat Mar 05, 2005
On Sat Mar 05, 2005 03:05 PM
Hiya! That's really good that you are going to start to make costumes! I couldn't do it! And Emma wouldn't wear it! I know her too well!

Gina
By Chrisp Comments: 111, member since Thu Dec 02, 2004
On Mon Mar 14, 2005 04:00 PM
Hi all,

I have made a couple of outfits, 1 slow & one starter outfit & I have just started to make a pairs outfit for my daughters as they dance together....I would encourage anyone to have a go..the fabric for the first one I made cost only £2 per metre - I stoned it using a mix of crystal and acrylic stones and it turned out ok..the overall cost was about £70...much much cheaper than having one made!

I'm happy to pass on any tips - Please ask away...Happy stitching!!

Christine
making costumes
By tashsides Comments: 34, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:38 PM
Hi Janet

Thanks for the tip ive have today finished a costume with back lace and loads of tassles your tip was greatand im so pleased with the finished thing
Olwen
re : making costumes
By princess_jodiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 827, member since Mon Oct 25, 2004
On Wed Mar 16, 2005 05:12 PM
Hi Olwen, I'm glad my tips helped and you understood them !
It was Tony who runs Foxy dance wear who showed me how to do it.My daughter used to dance with her daughter in trios.I often look at other dance cozzies that are for sale at the comps to get ideas in how they are made. You can pick up quite a lot just by taking a closer look.

Good luck in your future cozzie makings

Janet

Comment #3133019 deleted
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-03-23 11:26:52 This is the 3rd comment that you have made that is word for word the same...please don't do this its considered star farming!
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-01-02 12:44:43 irrelevant

4 way or 2 way stretch lycra?
By JLO9999 Comments: 1, member since Fri Mar 18, 2005
On Fri Mar 18, 2005 03:47 PM
Great advice - I've made one costume so far...the stress of it! but after reading this thread I've gained so much. thanks. I am considering making rock n roll next. I'm an average sewer but my inspiration is zero. Perhaps I'll let my daughter and her partner design their own costumes and I'll just make them! Great tip about the bullet needle I'll definitely invest in one of those.
Does anyone believe we should always use 4 way stretch lycra or is 2 way stretch ok?
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 08:47 AM
I didn't know that there was such a thing as 4 way stretch! Then again I am new to the costume making!! I've made a couple of costumes nad have been using 2 way stretch - I'd also be keen to know which is best.

Also can anyone tell me where you can buy motifs from? I've searched high and low on the internet with no luck..

Thanks.
Motifs
On Thu Mar 31, 2005 06:44 AM
Just thought i'd let you know that I've managed to find a couple of place that supply motifs - Dance sport International and Trim it in Blackpool.

Cheers
C.
motifs
By DARA Comments: 22, member since Wed Sep 29, 2004
On Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:07 AM
The most famous place for motifs is kersens in princes street london..they do all sorts of trim and fabrics.The bead shop is also in that road and well worth a look
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:50 AM
good lycra is fourway stretch

Re the motifs i buy lace and cut my own from it as you can get stretch lace but ready made motifs are usualy non stretch

Love mama DD's xxx
making costumes?
On Fri Apr 01, 2005 04:44 AM
Thanks for your comments..

I'm going to try and get the number for the shop in London

Mamma d - What kind of lace do you buy, and where do you buy it from?

Thanks
Christine
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Fri Apr 01, 2005 07:21 AM
I buy shretch lace you can get it from all kinds of fabric stores etc [quite expensive ]but worth it

Love Mama DD's xxx
By Dancintogsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 899, member since Mon Sep 01, 2003
On Mon Apr 04, 2005 03:59 PM
hi, i have been making costumes for just over a year now and can say that i find trimmit in blackpool invaluable. they just have every colour combination and all the exact colours in different lycra chiffon and lace. i have a one hour ride to get there but it is worth it
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 01:53 AM
Sounds a lot like Nevtex in Nottingham

I have traded with them for approx 40 years even before the name Nevtex and in the original place

Some things though can be purchased some times nearer home in little habadashary stores

Love Mama DD's xxx
making costumes?
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 04:50 AM
Yes, Nevtex is good and handy for me as I live in Notts!

I've also just got a brochure through from Trimmit in Bpool - They look great...

For your info I've just discovered a bead shop in Nottm that sell Swarovski flatbacks (limited range) for a reall good price, they only sell them in hundreds but 1 pack of ss20 stones only costs £2.50 - I've been paying that for Czech stones!!

This is the website:

www.mailorder-beads.co.uk

Cheers
C.x
By Dancintogsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 899, member since Mon Sep 01, 2003
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 05:19 AM
i always use 247 dancewear for my stones. i cannot find anywear cheaper and it does not cost you any more to buy one gross even though it is a split pack.

i get quite annoyed that some companies charge you more just because you dont want 10 gross.

i have to say that for friendly service and prompt delivery they are great. i also swear by plexi glue, you can even wash the garment and the stones dont come off

vicky
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 05:17 PM
Where do you get the plexi glue from?

Thanks.x.
On Wed Apr 06, 2005 03:33 AM
i get the plexi glue from 247dancewear. you can either order n the web or by phone. it costs 4.85 a tube but lasts for ages, i have done 3 costumes with one tube and i am very generous with it.

another tip is to wipe you stones over with a baby wipe once they are dry to remove the excess glue.

can anyone tell me, when you are making a slash effect in lycra when one colour is on top of the other, do you simply cut the lycra allowing the bottom cplour to show through or do you have to remove a small slit of the top lycra
Page:
Page 3 of 251 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch