Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Page:
Page 4 of 251 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22 23 24 25
making costumes
By yellowpearl Comments: 65, member since Tue Oct 05, 2004
On Fri Apr 08, 2005 03:04 AM
Hi Jane

I agree with you about the prices of designer costumes, I bought a starter costume for my daughter last year and it cost almost £400 pounds which was a ridiculous amount for an unstoned outfit but the new rules had just came out and I needed to get her an outfit. But I decided two days ago that I would attempt to make her a new suit, so I went out with my daughter and let her pick the colours that she wanted, I cut the shape of the trousers of her old suit and just hoped for the best, and thankfully the suit has turned out okay. My daughter likes it and so does everyone else that has seen it, so I am chuffed and it has saved me megabucks. So I would say just buy extra material or use rags to practice with and give it a go.

All the best

Lesley xx
making costumes
By bubble1 Comments: 214, member since Mon Apr 04, 2005
On Fri Apr 08, 2005 07:48 PM
does anyone know where to get the nylon (like tights but thicker) all in one full length catsuits from
re: making costumes?
By Chloe_Joesmum Comments: 45, member since Sat Mar 26, 2005
On Fri Apr 15, 2005 04:48 PM
Well done for taking the big step to make cossie.
Im dangerous with a sewing machine, so I wouldnt even try.

good luck with it.

Kerry
reply in capitals
By noangelbigsismum Comments: 6, member since Mon Feb 28, 2005
On Sun Apr 17, 2005 06:48 AM
didn't know answer to this either,hubbie said its seen as shouting
using catsuit patterns
By noangelbigsismum Comments: 6, member since Mon Feb 28, 2005
On Sun Apr 17, 2005 06:56 AM
thanks for the idea of using catsuit patterns.never thought of that.i was too busy worring about measuring right
help
By dancedance72 Comments: 215, member since Sat Apr 16, 2005
On Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:15 PM
hi im making cozzies for my kids and need some help they want cut outs on the side of a one piece some questions: can i just cut it out fold the edge under and sew or do i have to sew a piece of elastic inside so it doesnt go baggy? hope this makes sense! any help appreciated!
By Lil_miss_ellsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3858, member since Thu Apr 14, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 02:28 PM
Hi....Im about to beginning making costumes aswell and so far i have really had alot of use full advice and also found alot of very great positive comments and inforamtion etc on here it is great!

I am going to start off with either a basic cat suit style or halter top and dance pant costume and jazz it right up!
Do anybody have any information on where i could get these basic patterns from or places where i can getr them already made ready for me to jazz them up??

thank you.

claire and ellie(under 8 begginner)
xxxx
cut outs
By Dancintogsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 899, member since Mon Sep 01, 2003
On Tue Apr 26, 2005 02:41 AM
hi,

when you do a cut out you need to pipe the edge with a piece of lycra folded in half. if you stretch the lycra slightly it will hold the shape. if you need any more help just pm me

vicky
thanks
By dancedance72 Comments: 215, member since Sat Apr 16, 2005
On Tue May 10, 2005 08:46 AM
thanks for all the advice after my last post now i have another question and challenge for all you cozzie makers!! how do you make the fetaher headpieces? are they attached to a hair slide and then how do you attach the feathers and flowers to the slide?? also does anyone know where to buy the coloured pheasent feathers?? any help as always is appreciated!!!
By sewlows Comments: 108, member since Fri Dec 24, 2004
On Sat May 14, 2005 10:24 AM
you use a hot glue gun (mind your fingers)gets very hot for the head pieces
janet
slow suits
By hanzi Comments: 322, member since Mon Feb 10, 2003
On Sat May 14, 2005 10:43 AM
can anyone help howdo you stop the back of the skirt riding up when its made
thanks
skirt riding up
On Sat May 14, 2005 05:15 PM
Attach knickers of the same colour this will help
costumes
On Sat May 14, 2005 05:23 PM
i know designer costumes are expensive, but there is a lady in hong kong called rainbow (she has some comments on the ballroom bit) and she will make very very reasonable costumes for a decient price, you can just send her a picture and she can make anything, disco, slow pairs we have has several ballroom and latin dresses from her and they are fantastic, heavily stoned, very well made and stunning on the dance floor.
contact her, she is very quick aswell.
hope this helps my daughter does 10 different types of dancing so if we can get reasonable costumes all the better.
jackie
By MissyTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3660, member since Wed Aug 11, 2004
On Mon May 16, 2005 04:45 AM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what to use for the headpieces, I want to add swirls to my headpiece and I know that the designers use some kind of stiffened plastic which they cover with material.

Does anyone know what it is ?

Here's an example of what I mean...

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/terialben/headpieces.jpg'

Thanks, Teri
boning
By sewlows Comments: 108, member since Fri Dec 24, 2004
On Mon May 16, 2005 12:34 PM
its called boning its very stiff plastic and its very cheap its about 80p meter,you can get it from boyes or any habadashery shop
janet
COSTUME ADVICE
By GOLDSTAR Comments: 529, member since Mon Mar 21, 2005
On Tue May 17, 2005 11:14 AM
To all mums.....
I own Goldstar Bespoke Dancewear and will help with your queries with pleasure.
If you are stuck on a particular problem and would like my advice please go to my website and contact me via the contacts page.....
goldstardancewear.co.uk
or
goldstar.uk.net

Sadie x
By radi Comments: 22, member since Sat May 14, 2005
On Sat May 21, 2005 12:29 PM
ive jus started in begginers and im wonderin were i can get a cheap solo costume from plz answer backxxx
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Sat May 21, 2005 04:59 PM
Beginner costumes can be bought from any dance wear shop

Love Mama DD's xxx
By XxXHeidiXxXmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2218, member since Mon Apr 04, 2005
On Thu May 26, 2005 01:19 PM
Hi there,

I want to try making a slow dress with one shoulder, im doing it in textiles in school as my textiles teacher is helping me with it. What sort of pattern should i use for making a dress with one shoulder :?

Also... this might sound silly but when you make accesories and sew the lycra to the elastic why when i look at professionally made accesories it looks as if its been turned inside out so you cant see the stitching unless you kinda open it up? hope you get me, im not the best person at explaining.

Cheers,
Love Heidi xxxx
Advice
By GOLDSTAR Comments: 529, member since Mon Mar 21, 2005
On Sun May 29, 2005 12:50 PM
Hi Heidi,
PM me and I will reply to you with advice.
Can't PM you as I am a new member.

Sadie x
By sophistikat Comments: 2093, member since Thu Apr 15, 2004
On Mon May 30, 2005 05:37 AM
hi heidi,
if you sew the ends of the lycra together down the long sides to form a tube, then turn it inside out, the seam will be on the inside. you will just need to insert the elastic and sew up the ends.
hope this helps.
best wishes
sharon
By chris190_4 Comments: 20, member since Sun May 22, 2005
On Tue May 31, 2005 12:42 AM
Good luck with your making cozzies. My sewing was a bit of a joke 18 months ago but I got a sewing machine for xmas 2003 and now you can't stop me in fact I am obsessed. Now looking for an overlocker.
By XxXHeidiXxXmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2218, member since Mon Apr 04, 2005
On Tue May 31, 2005 07:34 AM
Hiya,

Thankyou for the advice, re:dancedance72, to make a feather hair piece, you attach it to a clear plastic slide, you can get glue to stick feathers the glue is specially designed for sticking on feathers pm me for more info x People use all sorts of things on for hair pieces, rigeline boneing, flowers, pheasant feathers, antenna feathers, i have seen these really nice swaroski(sp) diamonte butterflys that would look lovely on a hair piece.. beads on wires look nice to goodluck, love heidi xxxx
By keg9172member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1309, member since Thu Jun 16, 2005
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 09:06 AM
Hi Jane

I too felt the way you did and wanted to make my own costumes, my daughter wanted bell bottom trousers and plain top, i ended up making a template of a pair of her trousers that she already had and just found a top in a charity shop which was perfect, unfortunately, by the time I added sequins and beads etc to the trousers i was so proud the top and trousers looked great, (I thought) she liked it but she only wore it once a studio comp and wouldnt wear it again cos she said she wanted a PROPER costume, have now gave up and bought her one off ebay!!!!!! TEENAGERS EH (sorry she's 15)

Love Keg xx
Making Costumes/overlocker
By Margie4member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 501, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:53 AM
My daughter started just over a year ago, and to try to keep the cost down a bit, I got my sewing machine out and started experimenting for the "fun" costumes - rock n roll, slow, trios, big n little .... I enjoy it so much now that I'm actually trying to think of new outfits to make. Margie
Page:
Page 4 of 251 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch