On Sat Oct 01, 2005 02:13 AM
thanks for your advice, will post a pic when they are finished,

thanks

shaz
MAKING COSTUMES
By dannidancer
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 03:31 PM
Hi,
I`ve started making my daughter`s costumes.I have bought second hand one at a competition then updated it by adding head piece,restoning and changing the legs etc.Quite a unique costume at a fraction of the original price.
re: making costumes?
By Monice
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 07:55 PM
For creating your own patterns, find something of similar shape that fits her well. Trace it onto tissue paper (the kind you would use for gift bags). Remember to leave 1/2" or more for seam allowance. Pin the tissue paper pattern onto your fabric and cut! Cutting is always the hardest part. And remember to sew in zig zags so the fabric can stretch! Otherwise the seams could rip. Good luck!
Wanting to make own costumes,
By dizziechick
On Fri Oct 28, 2005 07:23 AM
Hiya, well im new to this site, so really i avent got a clue where to start with making my daughters costume, shes only 7 so hopefully it wont be that difficult, but as u said where do i start. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any tips or ideas on where to beging, i would be very grateful thanking you. Corrie xx
that fab advice
By dizziechick
On Fri Oct 28, 2005 07:26 AM
Hiya just want to say thanks for that advice, as im just about to try and make daughters costume and i am about to use chiffon. thanks very much. corrie xx
By mrshugsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:05 AM
I have been reading your replys and thinking about making costumes myself as i already make clothes for myself i thought i would give it a go!especially as the mums at my dance school spend hundreds on new costumes!
By DreamAngel
On Sun Oct 22, 2006 03:31 PM
Hi! Just wanted to say that its really nice that everyone is full of advice and tips! I am new to the dance scene, my daughter has been dancing less than a year, i thought about making my own costume but there are some beautiful ones out there that would probably put me to shame. On the other hand i do believe that practice makes perfect and things look different on the dance floor!Just not sure i have the courage to put one of my "attempts" on a dance floor! Good luck. Angela.x
By DancinCrazee
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 06:59 AM
Some really helpful tips from you all. It's great to find somewhere, where everyone is so willing to help give useful advice. I've been thinking about making a costume for my daughter for about a year now, and haven't had the courage to attempt it. Your comments here give me the urge to 'have a go'.

Thanks.
By mamama
On Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 AM
Hi i was wondering if anyone has a small piece of Flame red lycra cause i need to make a tall hair wrap but thought i would try on here first before i am forced toorder a whole metre. Am willing to pay for any scrap you may have. thanks Angie
please read this some very good advise!!!!!!
By flexixbbexheidix
On Thu Dec 28, 2006 02:46 PM
Edited by flexixbbexheidix (171311) on 2006-12-28 14:51:30 deleted sank
Edited by flexixbbexheidix (171311) on 2006-12-28 14:58:13 edit sank
Edited by flexixbbexheidix (171311) on 2006-12-28 15:07:28 edit sank
i have never made a costume in my life as im only 13! lol but there is this girl selling an under 14 begginer costume n it is in the shape and style of a starter inter or champ cozzie n shes onli sellin it for £25 and its very bright and has got cut outs on the sides and nice shaped arm bits and you could Easily Customise it maybe make a Feathery skirt and cut out a picture from a top with flowers or your daughters fave Character on maybe tinerbell or betty boop you could cut out and so on off another t-shirt? or her fave animal on? and if shes a inter ot chap you could buy lots and lots of stones in differnt shapes and sizes and buy some glue and stick then on? and you could put some flaires around the legs? or you daughter could chose and costume she really likes off the internet of freestyle magazine and you try and Design it exatly like that. But what you do not realise is that all the matirals you buy could add up to a very lot of money so you should really think is it worth making a costume that might go wrong then spending a bit extra on a costume that you daughter might love??????? Foxy dance wear make costume for you exatly how you like them for £185 for und 12 or a bit more for differnt age groups my sister gets all her costumes desined there and they never let her down! :) there website is foxydancewear.co.uk :D so you will really have to think about it before you attemp anything well hope my advise has helped you please put a picture up of the costume you make as we all probley would love to see it lol well have fun making it love emily xxxxxx ps. her costume is on the begginer page on dance.net lol xxxxxx
By Costumecrazy
On Wed Jan 24, 2007 02:31 PM
Hi there,
I am so impressed by all you wonderful Mums having a go at making costumes. So far I have only adapted and altered some that I have bought but with all this advice I mught just be tempted to have a go. Thanks for the inspiration and for all the handy hints!

Comment #5779990 deleted
Edited by LOVE2DANCE5 (143555) on 2007-01-31 10:26:24
Removed by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-01-31 11:21:55 netspeak is not allowed - free advertising is not allowed

making costumes
By Elemia
On Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:15 AM
hi
I have been trying to replace some bands for a cossie, but when I use the machine to sew the elastic to the lycra the lycra pulls and grows so I have to keep on tucking bits in, I use a ball point needle, any way round this please?
By respectmama
On Sat Feb 03, 2007 02:03 PM
i ve read every message on here ,its great i have made a very simple costume before with a few problems along the way,but now i want to have a go and something more creative ive learnt loads on here,thankyou.im now looking to buy an overlocker.x
making costumes
By swannprincessesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 06, 2007 06:34 AM
A BIG HELLO FIRST TO YOU ALL
my name is jenny and i have two up and coming little stars !!altough they are beginners they can wear what they want at there studio comps and beleave me i have spent a fortune they pair up together so buying pairs cossy.s,, and solo and slow it,s twice the exspense so i have just enrolled on a dress making corse Why not !!! its so exspensive when they get to inter/champs hopefully by that time i.ll be a wizard with the old machine LOL
DESIGNERS
By POSERKID
On Thu Feb 15, 2007 01:21 PM
hi there,
i am looking for the telephone numbers or e-mail addresses of any designers for disco costumes.
for example, goldstar,janine,dance house.
can anyone help me ?
tracy
By dancebabe9member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 17, 2007 09:24 AM
i have just read all your comments and i think you are all fantastic helping one another,,,i make costumes also, well show costumes but recently i have made my daughter and her partner rock n roll costumes and boy am i pleased with them.lol.so now i have decided to make my daughter a slow costume with all your advice i cant go wrong
dancebabe mum
annxx
By amipiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:49 AM
hi, 1st of all , this is a great sticky
ive read all the comments everyone helpfull
iv posted a wee pic of my 1st attempt
ami loves it , im well chuffed
keep sewing ladie's it so pay's off
here it is

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/amipie/bonnieamipiepictures1255.jpg'

thanks again lv clare x
By alixchick
On Tue Feb 20, 2007 09:25 AM
Hi this post is excellent loads of useful tips.
I would like to have a go at making a R'n'R skirt but don't have a clue how!!
Can any one please help, all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Karen
By Supergirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 20, 2007 09:47 AM
To Make a rock and Roll skirt, you will need to cut a full circle (will a hole in the middle for the waist) out of the fabric, allowing 1.5cm for seam allowance etc.
Measure from the middle of the circle for the length of the skirt. (dont forget seam allowance)
The circle shape will help the skirt fall properly, so it has the pleat like effect.
You then make either a simple seam on the edges or just overlock them.
Attach a piece of elastic to the waist part of the skirt, measure this before hand, and sew the elastic into the seam of the waist.
Don't know if that made sence, Please pM me for further details!

xXx
By ashleywade
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 02:02 PM
You can buy a rough pattern from simplicity to get you going to start with

www.simplicity.com . . .
Making your own childs costimes
By HippyJoemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 27, 2007 05:22 AM
Hi
My little girl has just started dance and has just lost her first life. She is now talking about starting slow but I must admit the cost of the outfits can be quite scary! All the replys I have found really helpful and are giving me confidence to maybe attempt to have a go even though I am useless at sewing!
Good Luck to all

Kerry
(Hippy Joes Mom)
ps Any advice on what makes a good slow cossie?
Applique/Motifs
By clobydobyPremium member
On Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:19 AM
Can anyone please tell me where i can buy hot pink applique/motifs
thanks
By taylor8
On Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:50 AM
sometimes job centres do courses on dress making and some times they are in the night times so people can go and i agree with you cossies are so expensive and have to be changed very soon
Making first slow cossie
By HippyJoemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 AM
Hi
I wondered if you could give me a little advice. Even though I have never made anything in my life I am going to attempt a slow cossie for my daughter (10) who has just stated dancing. CAn you recommemded a source for stretch animal pattern lycra and the flesh
coloured transparent fabric which is used on legs etc

Many Thanks

Kerry (Hippy Joe's mom)
Page:
Page 6 of 25: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 21 22 23 24 25

ReplySendWatch